2018 RB by Committee thread

Disco Missile

Looks like it's going to be another year of RB by committee.
Last year I did this on the *other* site and it worked pretty well to show the separation between the backs, especially late in the season when Young separated himself.
I'll post individual stats for for comparison following the Maryland game and each game thereafter.

• Like 1

I agree. Maybe a TE or a RB here and there. 

And Herman is frustrating because he never explains anything, but I would love to know why Porter was in on the final series and on the 2yd touchdown run. I get he's a journeyman back and he knows the system and he's got something the coaches like. But come on.

Maryland:
Watson - 12-52, 4.3 ypc, 1 rec. 6 yards
Ingram - 6-37, 6.2 ypc, 1 TD, 1 rec. 3 yards
Young - 8-27, 3.4 ypc
Porter - 1-2, 2.0 ypc, 1 TD, 3 rec. 10 yards
Jamison - 2-(-6), (-3.0) ypc
Ehlinger - 7-30, 4.3 ypc
Did Carter not make the trip for some reason? Thought he was at least above Porter on the depth chart. Transfer watch for sure..

Who did Ingram piss off so as to not play in the second half?
I don't know, but Stan Drayton is more than RB coach, he's also "running game coordinator" as well as "associate head coach". I'm sure he's the one who decides which RB is in the game, yet he never speaks to the media.

18 minutes ago, ousux said:
57 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:
Who did Ingram piss off so as to not play in the second half?

I don't know, but Stan Drayton is more than RB coach, he's also "running game coordinator" as well as "associate head coach". I'm sure he's the one who decides which RB is in the game, yet he never speaks to the media.

He probably didn't hug a big guy after scoring and was punished.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 4:56 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

The ball is spread too much to the receivers as well.  I mean, if we were a team like Tech, I'd understand it.  As it is, there is no reason that a combo of Duvernay, CJ, and LJH shouldn't be getting 95% of all the passes past the line of scrimmage.

But if they show double team,  we can't throw it to them.

Don't you know there is no way to beat a double team.

Football is really, really,  really hard.  

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Ingram and Young should starts.  Watson should be behind them.  

Watson can play. As long as we are arguing between these 3 I'm good.  Either way I want to see way more of them.

And screw the RPO with Ehlinger. Either call a run play for him or call a handoff. Don't make him have to decide as its not working.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

You’re putting too much stock in Young’s 3 4th quarter carries against a physically inferior opponent compared to the Maryland game.

Maybe, but Ingram gives you shizzle and shake while Young gives you a little more power.  Watson to me is meh in both of these categories. 

Also, where's toenail?  The fact that the coaches have him on the bench means he's probably our best back.  He'll go undrafted and then become some NFL team's feature back.  

Edited by bschoolprof
muledick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Maybe, but Ingram gives you shizzle and shake while Young gives you a little more power.  Watson to me is meh in both of these categories. 

Also, where's toenail?  The fact that the coaches have him on the bench means he's probably our best back.  He'll go undrafted and then become some NFL team's feature back.  

Carter, apparently, can't hold on to the ball.  9.95'ers claimed it was a problem throughout spring/fall practices.

It was an issue last year, but so far (other than the head scratching insertion of Porter against the terps) it's worked out fine with the Watson, Ingram and Young thing. Keeps them fresh and hungry for yards when they're watching their fellow RB's eat up yards..

Carter, apparently, can't hold on to the ball.  9.95'ers claimed it was a problem throughout spring/fall practices.
And last season during games as well. He's a good runner, but if he cant hang on to the rock, that's a liability we can't afford. He'll probably transfer as soon as the seasons over, but as long as we land a RB ('s) that's as good or better than Ingram in the next class we'll be fine.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I’m not saying Young doesn’t have a place, but it’s primarily in short yardage. Watson does everything else better.

Edited by formermav43

47 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I was happy to see him back in the game after the fumble.

I thought the coaches would bench him and send in Porter

Young's style is going to get some fumbles. It was taking a long time for him to get to the ground because he keeps fighting.

i am torn on our use of running backs. i like that they are the guy on whole series so they can get some kind of rhythm, but think we could do better using the guys in situations that fit their strengths.

I thought Watson's experience and vision really showed out in this game, especially on a couple of his receptions.

I also think we got some strong evidence that Ingram is the future. He can make something out of nothing.
Young has good legs and power but he wasn't able to make anything happen when TCU was stuffing us up the middle.

6 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I thought Watson's experience and vision really showed out in this game, especially on a couple of his receptions.

I also think we got some strong evidence that Ingram is the future. He can make something out of nothing.
Young has good legs and power but he wasn't able to make anything happen when TCU was stuffing us up the middle.

Ingram also has to learn not to go sideways on 3rd and short.

Just now, DaysOff said:

I think we're done with the Porter. Hell even Young may only see sporadic touches.

He's tied for the most fumble (1) right, TH made it clear that losing the damn ball will get you a nice comfy spot on the sidelines.

I think they get into some weird vanilla offense with Keonte in there, especially against blow U, it seemed obvious when he was gettin the ball.

Damnit Beck, I dont know what it is, but the fucking tendencies are so obvious with him. I'm watching and calling exactly what they are going to do sometimes. If I can see it, those needle dicks in the booth can see it.

11 hours ago, Zavala said:

He's tied for the most fumble (1) right, TH made it clear that losing the damn ball will get you a nice comfy spot on the sidelines.

I think they get into some weird vanilla offense with Keonte in there, especially against blow U, it seemed obvious when he was gettin the ball.

Damnit Beck, I dont know what it is, but the fucking tendencies are so obvious with him. I'm watching and calling exactly what they are going to do sometimes. If I can see it, those needle dicks in the booth can see it.

Beck isn't calling the plays.

11 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Has Carter even seen the field yet?

No.