Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
22 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:
Ok, so Jerruh was supposed to do his normal Monday morning interview with 105.3 tomorrow and he has apparently cancelled.   Either he’s furious about the criticism from the two afternoon shows, or he’s firing Garrett.   If you’re gonna do it, this is the week.   Doubt he’d have the balls to do it after getting a player 

In hindsight, I'm sure it had to do with working out the trade. Or he was hungover. Or both.

I forgot to emphasize that the interview is tomorrow but heard he may have cancelled that one.  Since the team didn’t arrive til this afternoon, everything was scheduled for tomorrow.  So I heard he’s not doing it tomorrow either.   

But it could be a deal to have an introductory presser or something

Edited by Trey3216

36 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not suggesting either would/could come here. I’m not suggesting you trade a first rounder for those particular individuals. I threw them out because they along with Cousins were the big QB pickups in the offseason. All are significantly better than Dak. 

QB's possibly available (via trade or UFA) in the offseason would be:

Derek Carr -- Good 2 years ago, significantly worse since injury and seeing ghosts.  Maybe it's a DNA thing.

Jameis Winston -- Depends if owner fires errbody and what the new GM would think of Winston and all his baggage.  Probably costs a little more than a 1 and still doubtful.

Tyrod Taylor -- Uhm no.  

Teddy B -- Interesting.  He's going to be a hot commodity and the Saints sunk real equity in him, so no idea what his cost will be.

Josh McCown -- Old.  Good backup.

Trannyhill -- He's pretty terrible.  He may want to come home though.

Fitzpatrick -- Fitzmagic?  He'll be 37.

Brock Osweiler -- no thanks.  Another Elway miss.

Eli Manning -- Yep.  Eli Face?  He's cooked.

Blake Bortles -- Good lord, no.

Case Keenum -- Again, backup level stealing money right now.

Andy Dalton -- Very, very doubtful.  On a good deal and Marvin Lewis is a coaching cockroach, but possibly with new mgt.

Nick Foles -- Love the guy, but not as a starting QB.

CJ Beathard -- Oh god, what am I thinking listing this guy?

Marcus Mariota -- Very, very doubtful, but maybe.  He looks broken but Titans are too invested.

And finally....

Sammy Bradford -- He's probably going to retire.  He's cooked.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I think this thing turns out better than most here are predicting.  Seems like the kind of player who might step it up his contract year and have some value.  And this year he fills a hole that really needed filling.  Not great and yeah we probably slightly overpaid, but not that bad either.  But hey, overreaction Surly is the best Surly.

It might make them a little better. It won't likely make them significantly better for the future, at least not nearly as much as a solid first round pick in 2019 could have.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

It might make them a little better. It won't likely make them significantly better for the future, at least not nearly as much as a solid first round pick in 2019 could have.

You’re probably right but I think it’ll be significantly better.  At least for a couple years.  The guy was a 2 year pro bowler.  Lot of factors could contribute to the falloff from there.  I mean, have you ever been to fucking Oakland California?  Hell maybe he wanted to get traded.  I’ve been saying it all year, we’re one good to great wide receiver threat from being a 1-2 loss team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Landomatic said:
I think this thing turns out better than most here are predicting.  Seems like the kind of player who might step it up his contract year and have some value.  And this year he fills a hole that really needed filling.  Not great and yeah we probably slightly overpaid, but not that bad either.  But hey, overreaction Surly is the best Surly.

Overreaction Surly? Fucking lulz. Dallas is getting trashed Nationwide and by most fans. Gee I wonder why? Because this trade was terrible. And makes no sense in our current situation

Meh...it’s been about 50/50 from everything I’ve seen.

54 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

QB's possibly available (via trade or UFA) in the offseason would be:

Derek Carr -- Good 2 years ago, significantly worse since injury and seeing ghosts.  Maybe it's a DNA thing.

Jameis Winston -- Depends if owner fires errbody and what the new GM would think of Winston and all his baggage.  Probably costs a little more than a 1 and still doubtful.

Tyrod Taylor -- Uhm no.  

Teddy B -- Interesting.  He's going to be a hot commodity and the Saints sunk real equity in him, so no idea what his cost will be.

Josh McCown -- Old.  Good backup.

Trannyhill -- He's pretty terrible.  He may want to come home though.

Fitzpatrick -- Fitzmagic?  He'll be 37.

Brock Osweiler -- no thanks.  Another Elway miss.

Eli Manning -- Yep.  Eli Face?  He's cooked.

Blake Bortles -- Good lord, no.

Case Keenum -- Again, backup level stealing money right now.

Andy Dalton -- Very, very doubtful.  On a good deal and Marvin Lewis is a coaching cockroach, but possibly with new mgt.

Nick Foles -- Love the guy, but not as a starting QB.

CJ Beathard -- Oh god, what am I thinking listing this guy?

Marcus Mariota -- Very, very doubtful, but maybe.  He looks broken but Titans are too invested.

And finally....

Sammy Bradford -- He's probably going to retire.  He's cooked.

You forgot to list Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You’re probably right but I think it’ll be significantly better.  At least for a couple years.  The guy was a 2 year pro bowler.  Lot of factors could contribute to the falloff from there.  I mean, have you ever been to fucking Oakland California?  Hell maybe he wanted to get traded.  I’ve been saying it all year, we’re one good to great wide receiver threat from being a 1-2 loss team.

The best hope is probably that Cooper ends being an overpaid over hyped Alvin Harper, and Gallup really blossoms as a legit number 1, or 1-ish receiver over the next season and a half.

Next year's receiver draft doesn't really look that great at the top, so maybe that was part of their thinking. I don't hate adding Cooper as much as I hate losing a first round pick that you can use a lot of ways, and potentially adding more cap problems just when things were looking more reasonable. The Cowboys aren't going to the Superbowl this year either way. And the way this team is playing that pick might have been fairly high. They still need a few things more than a receiver before they are legit.

Does anyone doubt that this trade has Jerry's greasy fingers all over it? A fucking 1st for a WR not named Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Denard Hopkins, or Odell Beckham. Even if those names were included I'd still have reservations about giving up a 1st rounder for a WR who is going to go out and run 15 stop routes a game for the next 9 weeks. The only thing good about this trade is it's a clear sign that if we fail to make the playoffs Garrett will be fired. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Does anyone doubt that this trade has Jerry's greasy fingers all over it? A fucking 1st for a WR not named Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Denard Hopkins, or Odell Beckham. Even if those names were included I'd still have reservations...

Then you’re an idiot.

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Then you’re an idiot.

Uhm, have you checked out the current offensive regime and their array of curl and stop routes they employ snap after snap. Good luck to any  WR in this mid 80s, middle school offense. Regardless it was obvious hyperbole to emphasize how garbage our offense is conceptually. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

You are insane. Keenum and Smith are significant upgrades. You are fast becoming a Dak apologist. He is terrible. 

He is not terrible, he is an 8-15th type QB in the league when he has the pieces around him to be successful. Crazy how quickly people forgot that he went toe-to-toe with Aaron Rogers in a playoff game that included him throwing Dallas back into a game they were down 21-3.

If you're constantly looking for the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers then you are going to be looking for a long time. If you're looking for Patrick Mahomes or Jared Goff then you better hope Jerry has an epiphany and does something he hasn't done in 20 years, which is hire a difference maker at Head Coach. This team would be so much better with a Kyle Shanahan or Lincoln Riley because they know how to put their players in positions to get the best out of them.

Cole Beasley and Geoff Swaim are the 2 leading receivers on this team, the same Geoff Swaim that caught 13 passes for 84 yards in his career at Texas. Cole Beasley leading your team in receiving isn't as big of a problem as Geoff Swaim being your #2. Dak isn't a QB that is going to will you to wins every week with his arm. He has had nothing to throw to this year. I give Cole Beasley a ton of credit for having even been able to get open, I mean who the hell are you respecting on the outside?

Dak was 3rd in the league in QB rating and 4th in Y/A his rookie year. He has the ability when you put him into a situation to succeed. The problem is you have a dumbass organization that has asked him to be something he isn't, which is a guy who is going to go out there and throw for 300 yards to a bunch of mop buckets and brooms. He isn't that guy. They knew that when they drafted him.

Keenum has thrown for 8 TDs and 9 INTs this year, if you think he is an upgrade I don't know what you have been watching. Alex Smith is a poor mans Tony Romo.

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 3

Who was the driving force behind this off-seasons choice of going with all the average receivers? Dak friendly? Was it Garrett or management? I don’t know what dak friendly is but the offense looks just like the second part of last year. I’m hoping it was Garrett and this is management telling him that failed so we will try this. I long ago quit getting upset about cowboys football. They are still my favorite pro team and I try to watch every game. However, I quit getting upset years ago and just watch for the entertainment. Will be fun to see how this turns out.

2 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

He is not terrible, he is an 8-15th type QB in the league when he has the pieces around him to be successful. Crazy how quickly people forgot that he went toe-to-toe with Aaron Rogers in a playoff game that included him throwing Dallas back into a game they were down 21-3.

If you're constantly looking for the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers then you are going to be looking for a long time. If you're looking for Patrick Mahomes or Jared Goff then you better hope Jerry has an epiphany and does something he hasn't done in 20 years, which is hire a difference maker at Head Coach. This team would be so much better with a Kyle Shanahan or Lincoln Riley because they know how to put their players in positions to get the best our of them.

Cole Beasley and Geoff Swaim, the same Geoff Swaim that caught 13 passes for 84 yards in his career at Texas. Cole Beasley leading your team in receiving isn't as big of a problem as Geoff Swaim being your #2. Dak isn't a QB that is going to will you to wins every week with his arm. He has had nothing to throw to this year. I give Cole Beasley a ton of credit for having even been able to get open, I mean who the hell are you respecting on the outside?

Dak was 3rd in the league in QB rating and 4th in Y/A his rookie year. He has the ability when you put him into a situation to succeed. The problem is you have a dumbass organization that has asked him to be something he isn't, which is a guy who is going to go out there and throw for 300 yards to a bunch of mop buckets and brooms. He isn't that guy. They knew that when they drafted him.

Keenum has thrown for 8 TDs and 9 INTs this year, if you think he is an upgrade I don't know what you have been watching. Alex Smith is a poor mans Tony Romo.

Agree with everything you said except for the Alex Smith part. Alex Smith is year 14 of Dak. They are essentially the spider man meme. Both are overly risk averse QBs who rarely force tight window throws. Like you mentioned, a great offensive mind could do something with them (like Andy Reid did with Smith), but their general inclination is to take what the defense gives them and avoid trouble. Dak is still young enough that maybe a great offensive mind could develop him into someone else, but time's running out in that regard. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Uhm, have you checked out the current offensive regime and their array of curl and stop routes they employ snap after snap. Good luck to any  WR in this mid 80s, middle school offense. Regardless it was obvious hyperbole to emphasize how garbage our offense is conceptually. 

Yeah I know.  I just think everyone here is underestimating how much having A threat at that position can completely change the game.  Before today...we had NONE.  Now...we may have ONE.  Huge difference. Huge.

It’s not like Amari Cooper is a great receiver. He’s solid, but he’s probably not even in the top 10 receivers in the league. It was a typically and familiar stupid move from JJ and company. He learned nothing from Joey Galloway and Roy Williams.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

It’s not like Amari Cooper is a great receiver. He’s solid, but he’s probably not even in the top 10 receivers in the league. It was a typically and familiar stupid move from JJ and company. He learned nothing from Joey Galloway and Roy Williams.

Well, every time he trades less, so.... progress!!!

BTW, you guys missed the glorious Giants meltdown on MNF.

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah I know.  I just think everyone here is underestimating how much having A threat at that position can completely change the game.  Before today...we had NONE.  Now...we may have ONE.  Huge difference. Huge.

I'm actually higher on Cooper than most folks here, but a 1st for him is ridiculously stupid. It's especially bad for the Cowboys given what we have on the docket wrt upcoming free agents. Lawrence needs to be paid. Byron Jones could potentially be a guy we want back after next season.  Jaylon Smith, Cole Beasley, the list goes on and on. Not to mention the fact that this trade probably means they're all in on Dak so there's more money we need space for.  I realize we have loads of space next year, but it's always good to supplement big free agent signings with the low cost, quality, starters late 1st rounders give you (albeit for all we know we just gave up a top 10 pick for Cooper). 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

31 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

What’s it take like 20 mins to drive through jiffy lube?  What did you do for the other 3 and a half hours?

2 vehicles hour and 20. Bullshit, but add in a bezerker almost 3 yr old. Then we all watched Dumb and Dumber. 

After 20 seasons of this bullshit, fuck the Jones boys. You can have them. Hook’em.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm actually higher on Cooper than most folks here, but a 1st for him is ridiculously stupid. It's especially bad for the Cowboys given what we have on the docket wrt upcoming free agents. Lawrence needs to be paid. Byron Jones could potentially be a guy we want back after next season.  Jaylon Smith, Cole Beasley, the list goes on and on. Not to mention the fact that this trade probably means they're all in on Dak so there's more money we need space for.  I realize we have loads of space next year, but it's always good to supplement big free agent signings with the low cost, quality, starters late 1st rounders give you (albeit for all we know we just gave up a top 10 pick for Cooper). 

Not to mention Zeke is one more season away from holding out on his 5th year team option season and demanding a big contract too. 

Before the season the thought was if all goes well with Jaylon and B Jones and both guys play well then you just added two more bigger contracts on players you didn't get shit out of for their first few seasons of cheap contract play. Jaylon because of injury but Jones because of coaching stupidity like they're currently doing with Connor and Collins. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Or we could have just renegotiated with Dez...saved the Alan Hearns contract and kept our first round pick and not been on the hook for 14 million next year.

Are we on the hook?  That's just if we franchise tag, correct?  So we could negotiate something based on production the rest of this year?  Look at if from this perspective, let's say he comes in here and lights it up and the Cows end up 10-6 or something.  That's going to be a mid 20 pick that we gave up for a guy that was the #4 pick.  yes, we will have to pay him but it was not a totally terrible trade (proven vs. unproven).  That's how Jerrah and the boys are looking at it....from an optimistic standpoint.  

Anyhow, we suck and are terrible so it won't work out but just pointing out the other side

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I mean, that's on Dak as much as anyone to check out of a run play.

Why even call it to begin with? They did this entire game when the Skins already said we are stacking the box every 1st and 2nd down. And we called the exact same run play 1st down after 1st down.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I mean, that's on Dak as much as anyone to check out of a run play.

Yeah he certainly has enough leeway to do that.  Linehan can't wait until he can see the defensive alignment to call the play.  The coaching staff certainly can adjust playcalling if Washington is going to consistently put 9 in the box though.  They absolutely have their faults.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why even call it to begin with? They did this entire game when the Skins already said we are stacking the box every 1st and 2nd down. And we called the exact same run play 1st down after 1st down.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah he certainly has enough leeway to do that.  Linehan can't wait until he can see the defensive alignment to call the play.  The coaching staff certainly can adjust playcalling if Washington is going to consistently put 9 in the box though.  They absolutely have their faults.

I'm not excusing the coaching staff, but at some point the quarterback has to respond to what he sees on the field as well.

48 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Are we on the hook?  That's just if we franchise tag, correct?  So we could negotiate something based on production the rest of this year?  Look at if from this perspective, let's say he comes in here and lights it up and the Cows end up 10-6 or something.  That's going to be a mid 20 pick that we gave up for a guy that was the #4 pick.  yes, we will have to pay him but it was not a totally terrible trade (proven vs. unproven).  That's how Jerrah and the boys are looking at it....from an optimistic standpoint.  

Anyhow, we suck and are terrible so it won't work out but just pointing out the other side

It's a 5th year option that's guaranteed for injury only. He will get it unless he murders a baby or something. No way we cut him after giving up a first. 

7 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's a 5th year option that's guaranteed for injury only. He will get it unless he murders a baby or something. No way we cut him after giving up a first. 

But we can trade him right?

I think the rest of this year for him is an uptick of what he’s been doing the last couple years.  Then next year he’s in year 1-2 form.

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

But we can trade him right?

Possibly, but when's the last time Jerry made a trade that was good for the Cowboys. If it were the Eagles and he bombs, they'd just trade him to Miami and get back 2 1st round picks & Parker. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

15 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

Who was the driving force behind this off-seasons choice of going with all the average receivers? Dak friendly? Was it Garrett or management?

It was the same brain trust that didn't think a WR from Bama was worth a first round pick to have for 5 years cheap that decided a WR from Bama was worth a first round pick to have for 1 1/2 years for an already inflated price tag.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Clap clap clap clap

We've loaded the box with blockers, so of course the defense is playing up.  If we block right, the play works.  I don't have a problem running a play like this on first down.  I have a problem running it every first down.  Throw in some play action or a screen every now and then.

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Are we on the hook?  That's just if we franchise tag, correct?

They can still get out of the deal at the end of this year, but that would mean they spent a first round pick to have a guy for 9 games that didn't work out.

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We've loaded the box with blockers, so of course the defense is playing up.  If we block right, the play works.  I don't have a problem running a play like this on first down.  I have a problem running it every first down.  Throw in some play action or a screen every now and then.

Or the Annexation of Puerto Rico, they'd never see it coming. 

• Like 1

They can still get out of the deal at the end of this year, but that would mean they spent a first round pick to have a guy for 9 games that didn't work out.

So in other words, expect JJ to double down on his stupidity and sign him to a long term cap busting deal just to show everyone how wrong they are.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This is correct.  It’s a imbalanced heavy package.  8-9 in box is usual.  We only have 1 WR with press and safety who will bail.  If Mosher can’t figure that out, then he shouldn’t be criticizing....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Got it.  Well, the worst thing about this is that the Boys have been doing well on the 1st rounders outside of Morris C.  Even Taco making a turnaround this year

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

giphy.gif

If you don't think you can win a Super Bowl with Dak at QB I don't know what to tell you, that mindset is exactly why the Cowboys have been a shit show for 20 years. If Tony Romo had played for a lot of other organizations he would have at least 1 ring. Romo had his many moments where he choked up in Seattle but he was the duct tape holding a shitty run organization together. Only reason why the Cowboys were even competitive was because of him, then he finally got help and Dallas went 12-4 and got robbed of a win in GB, next year he gets hurt and Dallas goes 4-12. It was all the pea brains that after every loss just said "We need Tom Brady, we need another QB, Romo sucks". Tony Romo took a team that had Patrick Crayton as its #2 WR, and Marion Barber who was averaging 60 rushing ypg to a 13-3 record, yet Cowboys fans hung him on the cross every week.

If you want the Cowboys to spend an eternity looking for the next Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady then good luck with that venture. Dak is averaging 5.9 ypc carry, use it, this team would be 5-2 with a competent coaching staff. The reason the Cowboys haven't had a competent coaching staff in 20 years is because of Jerry Jones, who would love nothing more than to be the HC himself.

Tom Brady's first 2 full seasons: 6607 yards, (62.8) CMP%, 46 TDs and 26 INTs, 1 rushing TD, 47 total TDs

Peyton Manning: 7874 yards, (59.2) CMP%, 52 TDs and 43 INTs, 2 rushing TDs, 54 total TDs

Dak Prescott: 6991 yards, (65.2) CMP%, 45 TDs and 17 INTs, 12 rushing TDs, 57 total TDs

But hey, lets just go draft Justin Herbert or (insert QB here) and hope to god they are the next Aaron Rodgers... Sounds like a fantastic plan.

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas25 said:

If you don't think you can win a Super Bowl with Dak at QB I don't know what to tell you, that mindset is exactly why the Cowboys have been a shit show for 20 years. If Tony Romo had played for a lot of other organizations he would have at least 1 ring. Romo had his many moments where he choked up in Seattle but he was the duct tape holding a shitty run organization together. Only reason why the Cowboys were even competitive was because of him, then he finally got help and Dallas went 12-4 and got robbed of a win in GB, next year he gets hurt and Dallas goes 4-12. It was all the pea brains that after every loss just said "We need Tom Brady, we need another QB, Romo sucks". Tony Romo took a team that had Patrick Crayton as its #2 WR, and Marion Barber who was averaging 60 rushing ypg to a 13-3 record, yet Cowboys fans hung him on the cross every week.

If you want the Cowboys to spend an eternity looking for the next Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady then good luck with that venture. Dak is averaging 5.9 ypc carry, use it, this team would be 5-2 with a competent coaching staff. The reason the Cowboys haven't had a competent coaching staff in 20 years is because of Jerry Jones, who would love nothing more than to be the HC himself.

Tom Brady's first 2 full seasons: 6607 yards, (62.8) CMP%, 46 TDs and 26 INTs, 1 rushing TD, 47 total TDs

Peyton Manning: 7874 yards, (59.2) CMP%, 52 TDs and 43 INTs, 2 rushing TDs, 54 total TDs

Dak Prescott: 6991 yards, (65.2) CMP%, 45 TDs and 17 INTs, 12 rushing TDs, 57 total TDs

But hey, lets just go draft Justin Herbert or (insert QB here) and hope to god they are the next Aaron Rodgers... Sounds like a fantastic plan.

Oh, I don't disagree with what you're saying here. I was just giving you shit for saying Dak was the 8th-15th best QB in the NFL. (FTR, I'm a Romo apologist.)