I think we'll be ok

Slacks

So.... I haven't watched up to the meltdown, so my opinion can change, but....

Ingram is real.

Watson is good enough.

Beck is going to help. He puts a body on people.

LJH is good.

Sam has to process a little faster on the RPO

OL is good enough to win.

I don't know what is holding back CJ.

Hager is a one trick pony. Good offenses are going to make him pay.

Omenihu is a non-factor

Roach is good, just too big for LB.

Nelson is fine.

Johnson's feet are faster than he processes/diagnoses.

The young DBs are promising

Locke is not good in coverage.

If we can stick with running to set up PA, we'll get better.

8 wins is possible as a stretch. I think we'll be in close games a lot.

The sky isn't falling, it's just low.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So.... I haven't watched up to the meltdown, so my opinion can change, but....

Ingram is real.

Watson is good enough.

Beck is going to help. He puts a body on people.

LJH is good.

Sam has to process a little faster on the RPO

OL is good enough to win.

I don't know what is holding back CJ.

Hager is a one trick pony. Good offenses are going to make him pay.

Omenihu is a non-factor

Roach is good, just too big for LB.

Nelson is fine.

Johnson's feet are faster than he processes/diagnoses.

The young DBs are promising

Locke is not good in coverage.

If we can stick with running to set up PA, we'll get better.

8 wins is possible as a stretch. I think we'll be in close games a lot.

The sky isn't falling, it's just low.

You must of quit the Kool-aid and went straight to shots.

Not very sure of yourself in that thread title. 

On offense we have talent. OL has looked good through 2 games. WRs have talent and LilJordan is a beast. Ingram and Watson are one of the top back combos in the conference. The problem is the QB isn't D1 level. He's a worse version of Swoopes as he's as bad a thrower and a slower/less powerful runner. With a real QB this offense puts up 45+ last night. 

Defense is just inexperienced and will take time. Sterns and Foster are beasts but need experience and will still make mistakes for now. Hager needs to sit if he can't cover even as well as Roach and Roach needs to be a D end in Hager's spot. The young D linemen need some burn to see if they can bring anything as the veterans are disappointing. 

The Problem: Texas hasn't been relevant in football for the bulk of these players' childhoods. Can't sell the recruits on success, so we sell them on the campus, facilities, and Austin, TX. In return, we get players who come here to be on vacation in exchange for bare minimum participation in football.

The Solution: Find a coach who knows how to motivate players that already have everything they want. Need to start looking at the NFL level so we can bring in a guy who can legitimately come in and tell these guys that they aren't that great, yet, and that this life that they're living is just a small preview of what the league will give them if they would actually show up and put in the work.

We beat Tulsa by a touchdown, and not because it was one of those games where every little thing went their way.  They absolutely left at minimum 13 and at most 23 points in the field that competent teams would not have.

With that in mind, who are the other 7 teams in our schedule who you believe are as bad or worse than Tulsa who we will beat to get to 8 wins?

Sure, you can convince me that we'll get better as the year goes, but how much better do we need to make up the gap between the rest of our competition and beating Tulsa by more than a single TD?

I've always liked your optimism, snacks, I just can't even force myself to believe this team beats 7 more in the schedule when we've gone 1-1 so far against two teams who are in the bottom half of who we'll face this year.  If we make a bowl I will be legitimately shocked at this point.  This looks like a bad, bad team, and we've faced subpar competition so far and been able to see that. 

32 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The Problem: Texas hasn't been relevant in football for the bulk of these players' childhoods. Can't sell the recruits on success, so we sell them on the campus, facilities, and Austin, TX. In return, we get players who come here to be on vacation in exchange for bare minimum participation in football.

The Solution: Find a coach who knows how to motivate players that already have everything they want. Need to start looking at the NFL level so we can bring in a guy who can legitimately come in and tell these guys that they aren't that great, yet, and that this life that they're living is just a small preview of what the league will give them if they would actually show up and put in the work.

This!

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The problem is the coaches think "We're Texas" but we aren't and haven't been for awhile. We are going to have to be more creative to beat teams. We can't just line up and be tougher or bigger or stronger or whatever they are hoping for.

It’s almost as if Herman and his staff just assume that because we have great recruiting classes that a magic light switch will flip on and we’ll all of a sudden be Texas again.

44 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

That's actually not a bad point.  I'm not sure if you've hit on the answer, but it is certainly possible that the program unintentionally self-selects the unteachable.  Not universally, of course, but to some degree.

57 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I don't know that I can agree with that solution. Get better at the game, and it's impossible not to be motivated to play. Conversely, continue to suck, and you'd have to be delusional to get motivated.

My solution: get a coaching staff that can, over the course of a fall camp, produce a team that can execute at a D1 level.

Edited by ndawg

I agree that it is still possible for Herman to right the ship.  I don't expect it, but possible. 

USC scored 3 points yesterday.  We don't have Stanford's defense, but the Trojans aren't invincible.  TCU looked like beatable crap for the first half against SMU.  Charlie and Mack's teams had similar games where they looked lousy against a lousy team, yet surprised us and played well in later games against tough opponents.  Every Charlie team showed up against OU.

I'm keeping an open mind, while hoping that CDC has already gotten started on a due diligence list and will be ready to move decisively in November if warranted.