Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

what's the magic number of new voters the beto campaign thinks is needed to defeat cruz?  is there a number?

This thread alone is opening my eyes to the number of Rs voting Beto.  I don't know if it is just educated Rs, but even still that is a huge group in the 'burbs.  I don't think anyone can tell how many new voters mainly because of that.

Yeah, I think it's unknowable so their strategy is to simply get as many as possible. It's the right move.

The bigger issue i'll be watching is if the Democrats have any clue how to seize momentum in the likely event that Cruz wins. If Cruz wins by around 5% that should energize Democrats after the initial strong disappointment wears off. At that point Texas has become competitive, even recognizing that Cruz is a terrible Senator and candidate. There's nothing special about O'Rourke beyond effort and grass roots engagement.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

The bigger issue i'll be watching is if the Democrats have any clue

You could have stopped there. Win or lose, the Texas Democrats will have learned nothing.

There's nothing special about O'Rourke beyond effort and grass roots engagement.

And the charisma. If Lupe was running for the same seat with the same policies etc., we all know there would be less momentum and excitement and would garner less votes.

The charisma is a byproduct of the effort and engagement. I've listened to debates, speeches, and seen his direct commercials. O'Rourke is not actually that charismatic. He has been latched onto because he tries to show he cares, he goes out and meets the people, and the Republican party has a huge number of terrible people and ideas right now.

I should clarify that he's a lot more charismatic than Ted Cruz, but so is the chair you're sitting in right now.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Report: Beto O'Rourke campaign received threatening messages from pipe bomb suspect

Months before he was arrested on allegations of sending bombs the mail to several prominent Democrats, Cesar Sayoc sent threatening messages over Facebook to U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke

"We received a threat via Facebook from that individual in April, a threat toward Beto, and we immediately reported it to the [U.S.] Capitol police," O'Rourke campaign spokesman Chris Evans told the newspaper. "Then we turned over the message and the information and the threat to the FBI in July."

Great job Capitol Police and FBI.  Stopped him before he could mail any bombs towards those he threatened.

18 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

This thread alone is opening my eyes to the number of Rs voting Beto.  I don't know if it is just educated Rs, but even still that is a huge group in the 'burbs.  I don't think anyone can tell how many new voters mainly because of that.

Any more stories about these suburban soccer moms who are silent  beto supporters?  

Eh, I laughed. I make fun of him by calling him the killer, it'd be hypocritical of me to whine about him owning it. Well played, random Cruz intern.

Best part about it is how confused the olds that aren't in on it probably are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

This Beto supporter owns a shotgun for ducks, a shotgun for dove/quail, a deer rifle and a pistol for home protection. Can't imagine ever needing to own any other type of gun. 

Guns are tools.  Different people need different tools.  

I heli-hunt hogs every year at our place.  None of your guns are good for that.  An AR-15 is. It’s also the perfect as a truck rifle since it is durable and has a short barrel you can swing it and pop a hog or varmint quick.  And it is surprisingly great for young kids to shoot out of the blind with as the stock can be adjusted to fit them and it being a semi-auto means recoil is much less.   My then 7 year old son killed his first three deer last year with one   

I own quite a few guns.  I tend to shoot 4 almost exclusively.  My over under 20 gauge for wing shooting, 12 gauge auto for waterfowl, 270 weatherby mag for blind, and AR for heli hunting and as a truck/Jeep gun.  

Most of my guns I don’t ever shoot.  They were gifts or bequests.  I clean them once a year and put them in the safe.  No interest in selling them.  

• Like 1

I've already talked about my wife on this thread. I will mention that there are at least 3, and likely as many as 5-6 lawyers in my lily white Midland law firm who appear to be Beto supporters. I strongly suspect that there's never been more than 1 or 2 Democratic voters in our ranks at any time in the past. Very anecdotal, but throw that in with my apolitical Republicanish wife voting Beto and my Republican sister who never votes in midterms and is voting for Beto and there is certainly an interesting phenomenon among the people who I know. Of course, my parents and in-laws are all in for Trump/Cruz, although their support for Republicans is nothing new even if they are more fervent than ever now.

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Eh, I laughed. I make fun of him by calling him the killer, it'd be hypocritical of me to whine about him owning it. Well played, random Cruz intern.

Best part about it is how confused the olds that aren't in on it probably are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I guess you can count me among them. I don't get it.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Being a Beto supporter frequently just means we've got 3-5 guns at home instead of 20+.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Bowhunters for Beto

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This Beto supporter has guns....not an arsenal or anything but enough to make a Trumpkin shit his pants.  But, cowards don't usually require a gun.  A simple boo should do. 

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

This Beto supporter owns five firearms.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

This Beto supporter owns seven firearms.

34 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

four here. I know. slacking

33 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

This Beto supporter owns a shotgun for ducks, a shotgun for dove/quail, a deer rifle and a pistol for home protection. Can't imagine ever needing to own any other type of gun. 

25 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

9 guns total - all secure in a safe.

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Beto voter. One shotgun for home protection at my house. That's all I fucking need. My hunting days are over. It doesn't interest me in the least anymore. I can get venison anytime I want. I figure if it's ever warranted my gun nut buddies can lend me a few if I need them.

7 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Beto supporter. 3 guns -  Shotgun and small revolver in house for protection, 12 gauge for the occasional bird hunt/clay shoot. Not even slightly skeered that Beto will take my guns.

As a zero gun owner and Beto supporter, y'all are making me feel really inadequate as a Texan.

I do promise though that I was given a BB gun, a pellet gun, and a 22 rifle as a kid. I was a great shot but it just didn't stick, and I haven't felt any need to own one since because I'm not a hunter. I'm pretty sure your collective rights will not be abridged with a Beto vote, and I'm proud of y'all for disproving stereotypes and myths.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Guns are tools.  Different people need different tools.  

I heli-hunt hogs every year at our place.  None of your guns are good for that.  An AR-15 is. It’s also the perfect as a truck rifle since it is durable and has a short barrel you can swing it and pop a hog or varmint quick.  And it is surprisingly great for young kids to shoot out of the blind with as the stock can be adjusted to fit them and it being a semi-auto means recoil is much less.   My then 7 year old son killed his first three deer last year with one   

I own quite a few guns.  I tend to shoot 4 almost exclusively.  My over under 20 gauge for wing shooting, 12 gauge auto for waterfowl, 270 weatherby mag for blind, and AR for heli hunting and as a truck/Jeep gun.  

Most of my guns I don’t ever shoot.  They were gifts or bequests.  I clean them once a year and put them in the safe.  No interest in selling them.  

Guns and guitars. We might have a bunch, but we keep going back to the same ones because we know and like them. I cut down my arsenal a while back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

As a zero gun owner and Beto supporter, y'all are making me feel really inadequate as a Texan.

I do promise though that I was given a BB gun, a pellet gun, and a 22 rifle as a kid. I was a great shot but it just didn't stick, and I haven't felt any need to own one since because I'm not a hunter. I'm pretty sure your collective rights will not be abridged with a Beto vote, and I'm proud of y'all for disproving stereotypes and myths.

Im with you here, I actually never shot a handgun till I moved to Oregon. Also I'd vote Beto, cause Ted is a bitch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm REALLY sure that no one Senator or Congressman is going to abridge my right to bear arms, there are 9 people in black robes that have that ability. 

Not me. I just think his policies and his politics suck shit. As shitty as Cruz is, he will still beat Beto. Which goes to show how shitty Beto is.
Can't wait to read all the fanboys whining. Maybe they should pick better candidates with better policies. Nah, they will just blame it on the voters, as usual.

Cruz talks fiscal responsibility and then ignores his kids so he can help create huge imbalances. He talks about pre-existing conditions while actively fighting against it. He talks like he is tough, and bows to the man who insulted his wife and father and accurately gave him the nickname “lying” Ted.

I guess those are policies you support, but which ones? The talk and the opposite action?

Yeah, I will blame the voters for being dumb. With good cause.
  • Like 2

I'm REALLY sure that no one Senator or Congressman is going to abridge my right to bear arms, there are 9 people in black robes that have that ability. 

Yep. Worst case scenario someday I may have to fill out paperwork or wait a few days to get an AR to heli hunt. Or my son may need to hunt with me until is brain is fully formed to make good decisions. Scary shit man.

17 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Guns and guitars. We might have a bunch, but we keep going back to the same ones because we know and like them. I cut down my arsenal a while back. 

Understand.  Just couldn’t imagine getting rid of guns passed down or given to me.  Will give those to my kids.  And since I have a lot of my dads and granddads guns, I have and will continue to give some to my nephews as they get older.  A lot of sentimental value  

I don’t need the 60 or so guns I have.  I’m holding to pass them down

I do have a couple of pretty awesome shotguns and rifles that I really don’t even want to hunt with.    I take them to a range every couple years and fire a few shots.  Keep them in the case the entire time away from the safe unless I’m shooting.  

I like keeping them.  Makes me feel close to some loved ones I’ve lost.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

37 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

I've already talked about my wife on this thread. I will mention that there are at least 3, and likely as many as 5-6 lawyers in my lily white Midland law firm who appear to be Beto supporters. I strongly suspect that there's never been more than 1 or 2 Democratic voters in our ranks at any time in the past. Very anecdotal, but throw that in with my apolitical Republicanish wife voting Beto and my Republican sister who never votes in midterms and is voting for Beto and there is certainly an interesting phenomenon among the people who I know. Of course, my parents and in-laws are all in for Trump/Cruz, although their support for Republicans is nothing new even if they are more fervent than ever now.

csb/

I grew up in Big Spring (Graduated 1989. Go Steers!!!) and still have lots of friends and family there. On Facebook, there's a local closed group bitch/rant page started by an activist of sorts who's got a beef about all things local government. That page now has over 8,000 members, and he uses it as a libertarianesque type of platform. He's also not shy about banning members from the group. Still, with that volume of members (locals and expats), I find it a pretty good gauge for West Texas political leanings and the goings-on in my hometown.

Anyway, he posted something about getting out the vote, because "the other side" was voting en masse and he clearly was trying to encourage folks to cancel out the liberal big cities' votes. What was interesting was to see the level of pushback he got from about one half of posters saying they'd support Beto. I found that encouraging, given the level of personal animosity they (and I) experience when vocalizing our beliefs in person (or online) with the hoi polloi of a small, conservative West Texas town. That takes a level of chutzpah you don't normally see in those sorts of forums or small towns where everyone knows each other.

/csb

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Understand.  Just couldn’t imagine getting rid of guns passed down or given to me.  Will give those to my kids.  And since I have a lot of my dads and granddads guns, I have and will continue to give some to my nephews as they get older.  A lot of sentimental value  

I don’t need the 60 or so guns I have.  I’m holding to pass them down

I do have a couple of pretty awesome shotguns and rifles that I really don’t even want to hunt with.    I take them to a range every couple years and fire a few shots.  Keep them in the case the entire time away from the safe unless I’m shooting.  

I like keeping them.  Makes me feel close to some loved ones I’ve lost.  

Some are more really more works of art than a firearm. Collectible ones are best served by doing nothing to them except maintaining them. It's like any other family heirloom, if it is given to you it becomes your responsibility to guard it. That beater .22 that is worth about $25 will kill rabbits all day long.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Of course the comments to the tweet are a bunch of pussies saying how offended they are by it, reinforcing everyone's stereotypes about the left.

Some of them. MOST of them are either laughing at the joke, or turning them into "vote beto" memes. :)

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

The IWI Negev light machine gun. Bringing the joy of 1000 rounds per minute to light infantry. Because fun:

[Don't actually own one. Don't actually want to. But man, I'd love to take one out on a range one day.]

Edited by Rimbo

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

The IWI Negev light machine gun. Bringing the joy of 1000 rounds per minute to light infantry. Because fun:

[Don't actually own one. Don't actually want to. But man, I'd love to take one out on a range one day.]

I'd love to sell you the ammo

• Like 2