Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

21 minutes ago, yoladu said:

if you go over to the political board at Texags the tone is very similar. It's so completely negative. it depressing. 

Of course it's similar. Those yokels have been defined for a century plus by who they hate (evil t-sips). It's only fitting they get worked into a tizzy over hating libruls, George Soros, fake news, immigrants, peaceful protesters and whatever other dog whistles Cruz will sound. Republican campaigns are largely void of any substantive talk on policy, a path to move forward, positive messaging, or significant accomplishments. 

Edited by UrbanAchiever
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Now how many of those dipshit kids will find their way to a booth in November because I can assure you my mother and the rest of her 80 year old friends will find their way.

Someone just needs to make a vote party, if you have the vote sticker you get 3 shots or something like that

9 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Now how many of those dipshit kids will find their way to a booth in November because I can assure you my mother and the rest of her 80 year old friends will find their way.

I don't think the kids that make an effort to go see Beto on the Tuesday night before classes begin are the ones you need to worry about. 

They preached to the choir. They rallied the troops, but they didn't necessarily win over the independents / independents who didn't feel like voting. And they sure as hell didn't get Republicans to pass on voting due to witty/entertaining/spot-on criticism of a Republican candidate.
I'd like to see Troy Aikman go all in against Cruz. Maybe Dick Cheney as well. Just some white bread mo'fo's. Maybe the cast of "Iron Resurrection" wears BETO shirts in a couple of their episodes. (Though I do suspect that "Joe Martin" of Martin Bros. shop perhaps might have been José Martín, but I doubt that that has even occurred to most of the viewers.)

You can say that all you want but in their era and hay day they won. They won.

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I think the Beto strategy of staying positive is a great idea.  

I also think that Beto needs an attack-dog surrogate.  Some legit, no-shit Texan that isn't afraid to roll around in the mud with Cruz, but allows Beto to remain above it all.

Somebody needs to call Cruz an fucking pussy motherfuckng Canadian.  Somebody needs to question his very questionable manhood.  Beto isn't the guy.  Where's Kinky when we need him?

Weaponize Surly. 

Beto on your signal 

DButt.jpg

We unleash hell

• Like 3

DluwP6GWsAAsKtA.jpgDlusK5jUUAAjQKm.jpg

The difference in these 2 pictures says it all. Bunch of pissed off old people versus some kids excited to be with their candidate. Its amazing how one campaign seems to be run by complete novices and is going all negative and the other one is starting to run like a well oiled machine and has people excited and is staying positive.

1 minute ago, relapse98 said:

The difference in these 2 pictures says it all. Bunch of pissed off old people versus some kids excited to be with their candidate. Its amazing how one campaign seems to be run by complete novices and is going all negative and the other one is starting to run like a well oiled machine and has people excited and is staying positive.

Just remember this....in spite of all the reason for hope, and the fact that Beto is sure to exceed typical expectations for a Dem in Texas....negativity and fear will win.

Think of how fast you'd run to get TO a cold beer and a plate of BBQ.

Now think of how fast you'd run to get AWAY from a dude chasing you with a knife.

Fear wins.  Negativity and hate win.  There's a reason that politicians have trotted out those plays for centuries -- they work.  All Cruz has to do is get enough folks scared of  Beto turning Texas communist and confiscating all of our guns, which he will then use to abort babies and ban people from saying Merry Christmas....and Cruz wins.  All it takes is a deep pool of stupid people to buy that message.

This is Texas.  We have a Jacob's Well of those people.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Just remember this....in spite of all the reason for hope, and the fact that Beto is sure to exceed typical expectations for a Dem in Texas....negativity and fear will win.

Now think of how fast you'd run to get AWAY from a dude chasing you with a knife.

Fear wins.  Negativity and hate win.  There's a reason that politicians have trotted out those plays for centuries -- they work.  All Cruz has to do is get enough folks scared of  Beto turning Texas communist and confiscating all of our guns, which he will then use to abort babies and ban people from saying Merry Christmas....and Cruz wins.  All it takes is a deep pool of stupid people to buy that message.

This is Texas.  We have a Jacob's Well of those people.

Maybe we do, but the fact that Club for Growth has to divert funds from another race to Texas of all places is a net win.  "Establishing the run" here in Texas, leaving the Dems' playmakers open elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Why doesn't Robert want to debate with Rafael?

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07/27/orourke-cruz-debate-senate/

Cruz had proposed holding the debates on Friday evenings, citing the Senate schedule, but O'Rourke suggested having at least three on other weeknights or a Sunday evening. O'Rourke also asked Roe if they could move the Aug. 31 debate in Dallas that Cruz offered to October so "we are likely to reach more Texans closer to when they make their decision at the polls."

Why do both these homos not go by their real name

Lord, this shit again? Welcome to the thread!

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Maybe we do, but the fact that Club for Growth has to divert funds from another race to Texas of all places is a net win.  "Establishing the run" here in Texas, leaving the Dems' playmakers open elsewhere.

Agreed.  I think Beto's run is good -- it's good for Beto, it's good for Texas, it's good for the Dems in Texas and nationwide, for myriad reasons.  It's a great play, and I'm happy about it.

I'm just not counting on it to ultimately prevail on election day, because Texas voter demographics are what they are, and negative tactics are proven effective.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Terrell Owens can get up and get his own damned plate of BBQ, imo.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.  I think Beto's run is good -- it's good for Beto, it's good for Texas, it's good for the Dems in Texas and nationwide, for myriad reasons.  It's a great play, and I'm happy about it.

I'm just not counting on it to ultimately prevail on election day, because Texas voter demographics are what they are, and negative tactics are proven effective.

Possibly, but remember that people hate Ted even more than they hated him before.  There's a history of distrust when he failed to bend the knee for Trump and only to later take it in the ass phonebanking.

He's weak.  He stands for nothing, and there's something overwhelmingly un-Texan about that.  Polls have this race close for many reasons, and I think a big reason is the combination of the blue wave and Ted's inherent weakness.

42 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:
my boys walked from campus to the rally last night. it was amazing.

39,986? make that 39,983.

39,981. Surly bundle.

My employer hands out small, random bonuses every month or so. $200 range.   Since I wasn't expecting one this month but received one, let take it down to 39,975.

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Fan of Beto, but he needs to target the olds as they are reliable voters. The kids may provide excitement but damn do they tend to fail on turning out to vote. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

DluwP6GWsAAsKtA?format=jpg&name=large

“Great time with friends at Hickory Roots BBQ tonight in Terrell! Let's #KeepTexasRed! #TXSen”

-Senator Cruz

Another day, another shitty BBQ restaurant full of musty, scared, angry olds. It reminds me of HL Mencken's dreary description of what it was like to be president in 1924:

There comes a day of public ceremonial, and a chance to make a speech.... A million voters with IQs below 60 have their ears glued to the radio. It takes four days' hard work to concoct a speech without a sensible word in it. Next a dam must be opened somewhere. Four dry Senators get drunk and make a painful scene. The Presidential automobile runs over a dog. It rains.

1 hour ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Of course it's similar. Those yokels have been defined for a century plus by who they hate (evil t-sips). It's only fitting they get worked into a tizzy over hating libruls, George Soros, fake news, immigrants, peaceful protesters and whatever other dog whistles Cruz will sound. Republican campaigns are largely void of any substantive talk on policy, a path to move forward, positive messaging, or significant accomplishments. 

Way back around 1904 or so my great-grandfather, a UT grad, took a job as a professor of English at A&M. He later wrote that teaching Shakespeare to farm boys was one of the worst experiences of his life, even though he was a smitten newlywed at the time. He quickly found his way back to Austin. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Washpark said:

Fan of Beto, but he needs to target the olds as they are reliable voters. The kids may provide excitement but damn do they tend to fail on turning out to vote. 

The problem at universities is that a lot of those kids are still registered where their parents live, and the absentee ballot is a red tape process and has to be done early.  They sure as shit aren't driving back to Dallas or Houston on election day.  Dems need to do registration drives during student orientation, and not only when there is an exciting candidate or imminent election.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

The problem at universities is that a lot of those kids are still registered where their parents live, and the absentee ballot is a red tape process and has to be done early.  Dems need to do registration drives during student orientation, and not only when there is an exciting candidate or imminent election.

I went to vote in 2000 as a junior and found out I couldn't.  Simple ignorance of what I was supposed to do before going to the poll.  Something needs to be done about it.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The problem at universities is that a lot of those kids are still registered where their parents live, and the absentee ballot is a red tape process and has to be done early.  They sure as shit aren't driving back to Dallas or Houston on election day.  Dems need to do registration drives during student orientation, and not only when there is an exciting candidate or imminent election.

Proud to say I mailed in a ballot for Michael Dukakis (lol) from Austin in 1988.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

DluwP6GWsAAsKtA.jpg

"And MS13 and then the Antifa and also R.A.D.I.C.A.L Islamic Terrorists...and then the illegal immigrants come in.....and you see..then they all will start the death panels....you ma'am in the front row.. in the looney tunes t-shirt, do you want the government to decide that you need to die?...no..no .. I didn't think so..and then so the transgendered will rape all the kids in the restroom and then George Soros kills everybody.....so in conclusion..Merry Christmas!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

"And MS13 and then the Antifa and also R.A.D.I.C.A.L Islamic Terrorists...and then the illegal immigrants come in.....and you see..then they all will start the death panels....you ma'am in the front row.. in the looney tunes t-shirt, do you want the government to decide that you need to die?...no..no .. I didn't think so..and then so the transgendered will rape all the kids in the restroom and then George Soros kills everybody.....so in conclusion..Merry Christmas!!!

looney tunes t-shirt got me

26 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

The  sphincter clenching in that image is strong.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't think the kids that make an effort to go see Beto on the Tuesday night before classes begin are the ones you need to worry about. 

Exactly.  Anyone willing to take time out of their day to go to a townhall or rally are not the issue.  Its the kids sitting at home that assume Texas is forever red that need to get off their ass and go vote.  

3 hours ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Woah woah woah wait a minute.

Are you suggesting that ISIS isn’t crossing the Rio Grande at this very moment?

Someone try ranking that group