Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I like the idea of him inviting Ellen to come hang with him on the road.  Not sure I love the idea of him flying out to her studio.

This.  Beto shouldn't go Hollywood.  Ellen should go Texas, and Beto should stay on-point.  A Texan, staying in Texas to help Texans.  Pass the Whataburger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m sure he’ll be flying right back, not like he’ll be staying a week to sight see

I know. Just worried that him flying to California to hang out in Hollywood, for however long, could potentially undermine some of his "I'm all about the every day Texan" message.

• Like 1

Ellen is syndicated and beamed into the living room of every bored housewife in Texas.  He'll have more exposure (to a demographic he'll need) in that 7 minute interview than he did in the previous 6 months of campaigning combined.   Google tells me that Ellen averages 3.9 million viewers a show. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ellen is syndicated and beamed into the living room of every bored housewife in Texas.  He'll have more exposure (to a demographic he'll need) in that 7 minute interview than he did in the previous 6 months of campaigning combined.   Google tells me that Ellen averages 3.9 million viewers a show. 

Oh, I'm not saying the airtime is a bad thing.  I'm saying he could have OWNED it by inviting Ellen to come travel with him for a day/afternoon, and have THAT be the coverage he gets.

• Like 3

I like the idea of him inviting Ellen to come hang with him on the road.  Not sure I love the idea of him flying out to her studio.

Ellen is the new Oprah and has the highest Q rating on daytime TV. The last NBC poll had Beto beating Cruz with women by 10 points. An appearance like this can only help drive that number higher and motivate people to actually vote.

Oh, I'm not saying the airtime is a bad thing.  I'm saying he could have OWNED it by inviting Ellen to come travel with him for a day/afternoon, and have THAT be the coverage he gets.

And then people will complain that the liberal Hollywood elites are out on the campaign trail for Beto.
  • Like 1

Just now, Mack Tripper said:

And then people will complain that the liberal Hollywood elites are out on the campaign trail for Beto.

Sure.  Which is why you don't invite them to stump for you.  You invite them to follow you with a camera.  And you put Ellen to work, have her make the order at the Whataburger drive thru.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Ellen is the new Oprah and has the highest Q rating on daytime TV. The last NBC poll had Beto beating Cruz with women by 10 points. An appearance like this can only help drive that number higher and motivate people to actually vote.

I think him being on the Ellen Show is a great idea.  It would just be ideal for his campaign and image for her to visit him.  Cruz's "Beto is a Hollywood puppet" attacks have rang hollow so far, but something like this may ring some truth to them in the eyes of a segment of the electorate.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

I think Ellen will be a huge plus for Beto. There are a lot of housewives in the Texas burbs whose only view into the world outside of Fox and Facebook is shows like Ellen, the Oprah crowd if you will. They will like what they see, and a decent portion of them might be scandalous and actually vote for him...and not tell their husband. 

This weekend I saw a ton of Beto signs, shirts and more:

I saw a Beto sign in the window of an apartment this weekend.  Not once in my life have I ever seen someone do that in an apartment complex, especially for a senate race.  I saw someone wearing a Beto shirt at Alamo Draft House, and I had someone come by my house this past week with a hand written note because they saw my Beto sign in the front yard.  They asked if we would come out and do some doorknocking this weekend for Beto.

Shit is ramping up in a good way.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think him being on the Ellen Show is a great idea.  It would just be ideal for his campaign and image for her to visit him.  Cruz's "Beto is a Hollywood puppet" attacks have rang hollow so far, but something like this may ring some truth to them in the eyes of a segment of the electorate.

Easy fix, do the interview remotely via Skype or what ever.  It gets Beto on her show, he gets the interview, and he is seen as hard working on the trail in Texas as he continues his final trek through each county.

Sure, him being there in person may be more "effective", but I think there is some value in showing that this guy does not stop working and is not leaving the borders of Texas until the election.  Both have value, IMO.

Edited by DiceHands

2 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Easy fix, do the interview remotely via Skype or what ever.  It gets Beto on her show, he gets the interview, and he is seen as hard working on the trail in Texas as he continues his final trek through each county.

Sure, him being there in person may be more "effective", but I think there is some value in showing that this guy does not stop working and is not leaving the borders of Texas until the election.  Both have value, IMO.

Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to say.  A Skype interview would give him the exposure without sacrificing any of his "man on the road" image.

Ellen will help him with all da womins..... Seriously, that's a huge opportunity to continue to expand his brand and gain exposure.   And lol at Ellen going to him.  Only national politicians of prominence generally receive an invitation.  Folks were worried that not enough people knew who he was a couple of weeks ago and this should help that concern....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ellen will help him with all da womins..... Seriously, that's a huge opportunity to continue to expand his brand and gain exposure.   And lol at Ellen going to him.  Only national politicians of prominence generally receive an invitation.  Folks were worried that not enough people knew who he was a couple of weeks ago and this should help that concern....

I think Beto could be a sensation; Obama 2.0.

59 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

From that article...

But GOP donors in Texas have been slow to forgive, with Cruz’s support for anti-establishment Republicans in down-ticket primaries contributing to their lingering suspicion.

“The bulk of these donors can’t stand Cruz,” said a connected Republican operative in Texas, on condition of anonymity.

Yeah...that could be a problem.

“I’m freaking worried,” a Republican consultant monitoring the campaign said. “Cruz is going to have to unleash very serious negatives on Beto. He needs to turn this into a race that’s all about Beto’s record and Beto’s views."

He's probably right. However, the problem with that is 1) people are generally sick of negativity in politics, IMO, which is why a large part of Beto's appeal is his positive message and campaign, and 2) it only highlights how Cruz has absolutely nothing to run on besides attacking Beto. Meanwhile, Beto barely mentions Cruz. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I don't want to believe this is how people vote . . . but it is absolutely part of it.  I have lived in some very liberal places where the apathetic and uninterested vote D just because everyone else does, and I have lived in very conservative areas where the opposite happens. 

My wife is very apolitical but grew up in rural Texas.  For years she would claim to be a republican, but when asked for a gut opinion on most issues would have a fairly liberal view.  I think she now claims to be a democrat mostly because she has lived around a lot of democrats for the majority of her adult life (and she liked the Obamas and thinks Trump is creepy) . . . it has little to do with well examined political thought.   

Because of this phenomenon, I think the blue/urban parts of Texas will become increasingly blue and the rural parts will remain red.  We should end up like Oregon or Washington where the state goes blue simply because the urban/suburban population outnumbers the rural population and after a few generations of living in urban settings people start to self-identify as democrats.   It will be a welcome change for the state, but it is not necessarily a sign that the average Texan has somehow become more enlightened.  

I suspect that your wife's feelings have a lot to do with the Obama's being likable people, and Trump being a fucking creep. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Bucket of cold water 

5% chance is all he will give Beto

Agreed that the odds are still against Beto.

But Beto's gameplan is exactly what it needs to be in order to improve his chances.  

And....there's NO WAY these guys can win....

Outside of a couple of judges I don't vote for Democrats, but add me to the Beto column this November. Having a rat faced Canadian down the ledger probably helps too.

This thread is somewhat comical in the god king worship of this guy like the trumpkins y'all laugh at. He's just a man. A politician. Which means he ain't gonna do shit when he gets there. But I'll vote for your boy and let's see what happens. No rat face 2018.

• Like 2

Troph threw a damned fine party, which was really well attended.  We raised some serious jack for Beto last night, but we weren't the biggest fundraiser of the night.  After our deal, Beto headed over to West Lake Hills for another fundraiser.  As I was taking out my trash this morning, I started chatting with a neighbor who was at that fundraiser--they raised north of $90K.  Between the two, that's a good Monday night.
And as an added bonus, troph let me take the half of the fifth of Knob Creek that went undrank as a party favor.  Something about only straight guys drinking bourbon . . . .  Anyway--gift horses and all that.
Oh--final note.  I've seen a lot of politicians speak.  Some are great.  Most are good.  I've seen some bad ones.  Beto may be the most dynamic politician I've ever seen speak.  He's really impressive.

We were pushing $100k too, a lot of donors said to hell with it on parking and gave but didn’t show. not sure how close we got, but if they were at $90, I bet it was about a $170-200k night for the campaign. I’m also a bit miffed, the Westlake event took some of my Lakeway peeps. Grrrr.

Thanks for the kudos, we had a blast!

48 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Well Cruz is certainly going negative, hitting Beto again this morning on social media for anthem-kneeling and for the Harvey tax break vote.

The Harvey vote is getting some traction unfortunately. Here is more context. 

https://twitter.com/Astros290/status/1034458332361306113

Edited by Mack Tripper

Outside of a couple of judges I don't vote for Democrats, but add me to the Beto column this November. Having a rat faced Canadian down the ledger probably helps too.

This thread is somewhat comical in the god king worship of this guy like the trumpkins y'all laugh at. He's just a man. A politician. Which means he ain't gonna do shit when he gets there. But I'll vote for your boy and let's see what happens. No rat face 2018.

Comparing Beto to Trump is unfair and off the mark. People like Beto because he’s positive. People dont like Trump, they like him as a character that acts on their behalf. They’re rooting for the villain like JR Ewing. Trumpkins know Trump is an asshole, but he’s their asshole.

Regarding your cynicism on what Beto will do, he’ll support judges and actions that seek to regulate money in politics. As long as individuals, entities and nations from around the world can influence elections and legislation, then our democracy will be on hold. In the meantime, Beto has proven to support dialogue with all. But he’ll be hard pressed to individually get real stuff passed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

That's like saying Longhorns are the same as aggy because we support our football team.  What a stupid comparison that ignores all of the context defining the Trump cult.