B12 women's golf champion murdered at golf course by a homeless man

clapclapclap

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Obviously, I'm not a golfer, but how many golf outings consist of someone playing by themselves, and how many golf courses are so dead at 10:24 am that a woman can be raped, stabbed, and dragged "some distance" without anyone noticing?

I would say a good bit, especially on a Monday.  I have played many a solo round.

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Obviously, I'm not a golfer, but how many golf outings consist of someone playing by themselves, and how many golf courses are so dead at 10:24 am that a woman can be raped, stabbed, and dragged "some distance" without anyone noticing?

It happened in Ames, Iowa. September weather.

Real shitty deal.  We tailgated within a few hundred yards of this spot for years.  I had no clue there was a homeless camp in the woods.  She was supposed to be honored at our game on Saturday, and I think the team is going to be wearing some extra yellow/gold in her memory, and a helmet decal for the remainder of the season.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I've played plenty of rounds by myself.  When I worked at a course in college, I'd grab a cart at 6:00 or 6:30 in the summer and play until there was no more daylight.  I can think of 5 or 6 places on that course that would be ideal locations to commit a murder.

Oh reeeeeeeeaaaaaalllly ???  Have a seat......

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, watching the news video, I felt for the guy who came up on her bag.  He probably thinks it's his fault because they let her play through.  To quote "that could have been my granddaughter."

In reality, the dude who killed her might have just waited 20 minutes more.

Apparently he told another person in the homeless camp recently that he had urges to rape and murder a woman.  I don't think he would have preyed on those guys.

Collin+Richards.jpg

That is a real life monster.  Nothing but evil behind those eyes.

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Apparently he told another person in the homeless camp recently that he had urges to rape and murder a woman.  I don't think he would have preyed on those guys.

Not my point.  I'm saying he seemed to regret that they let her play through, as if a 20-minute delay would have saved her life.  The accused likely would have just waited for a prime target, which would have been her, a little bit later.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not my point.  I'm saying he seemed to regret that they let her play through, as if a 20-minute delay would have saved her life.  The accused likely would have just waited for a prime target, which would have been her, a little bit later.

Got ya.

Yeah, I would agree.  I feel really bad for that guy as well.  Survivor's guilt is a bitch.

That old guy should feel bad it happened being involved in the situation. I feel bad for having read about it. But in no way should he feel any responsibility. If you have a collegiate player who’s championship level playing by herself, and you’re a part of a group, even if it includes Spieth, Thomas and DeChambeau and you’re fast yourself. That’s just what you do, period. 

He couldn’t have predicted evil like that, and he couldn’t have prevented it either. I’d be crying myself because it’s a terrible thing, but wouldn’t feel “survivors guilt”. 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I enjoy playing alone. On a hot weekday, not at all improbable.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Real shitty deal.  We tailgated within a few hundred yards of this spot for years.  I had no clue there was a homeless camp in the woods.  She was supposed to be honored at our game on Saturday, and I think the team is going to be wearing some extra yellow/gold in her memory, and a helmet decal for the remainder of the season.

Who owns the acreage where the homeless camp was located?  Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the city or county because governmental screwups happen so frequently. If it’s the golf club, wtf were they thinking letting something like that exist?

56 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Who owns the acreage where the homeless camp was located?  Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the city or county because governmental screwups happen so frequently. If it’s the golf club, wtf were they thinking letting something like that exist?

Im thinking the city.  There's a bike trail that runs through there, and much of Squaw Creek is part of the city park system.