Texas OU set for 11am

mdmost

12 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The UT/OU game was last played in Norman in 1922, and last in Austin in 1923. For the centennials of those two years, they need to move the game to the campuses, to resume in Dallas in 2024. The centennial of the game in the Cotton Bowl during the state fair is 2032. Make that a night game in Dallas.

UT/OU is the most intense rivalry in all of college sports. So much, that it has been bottled up with an 11am kickoff for decades. Teh early start was for security reasons which we can all understand.

2023 is going to be a huge year for college football and for UT. The GOR expires. The frenzy over realignment is going to be rampant. Showcase the two biggest players in the upcomeing realignment in a once-in-a-lifetime environment that even the grandkids of the current fans will never experience.

Take the cork out of the bottle and let UT/OU be showcased in three epic settings.

Dos%20Equis%20-%20No_zpsfudypetx.gif

Michigan/Ohio St is at 11am CST every year. Most Big10 schools didn't even have lights because night games are a recent deal.

Texas/OU is the Cotton Bowl and that's what makes it great.  11am, 2:30pm, it doesn't matter.

11 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah the 11 a.m. kickoffs certainly do suck for tailgating, but the reality is that time has become one of the prime slots for college football because the big games at 11 CT/Noon ET pull big numbers.  That's why it's on regular FOX.  

I'm not a fan of the 11am game unless it's Texas/OU. And even then, we have had it at noon a few times and I prefer that more but I actually like 11am more than 2:30pm for this one.

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

There will always be crybabies in every fanbase.  We are lucky to participate in what is, in my humble estimation, the best sporting event in America every year. And some people will be downright miserable that it starts 3 1/2 hours earlier than they'd personally prefer.

Yes, you will feel fucking miserable when you wake up at 6am if you did anything correctly on Friday night. Yes, it will be worth it. It is the best day of the year. You can keep Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July. As long as I have TX/OU at Fair Park in October, that's all I need.

Friday Night in Dallas is, or at least was, part of the tradition.  The 11:30 kick kills the Friday night festivities.  Period.  End of story.

The Prime Kickoff Slot for College Football (regular season) is 230 or 300.  It always has been.  Or at least it was.  End. Of. Line.

10 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

I will never attend a Texas / OU game at jerry world. Going to home and home on campus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> playing at Jerryworld. What makes anyone think the magic that is the state fair/ cotton bowl could even be 1% recreated in arlington

Hear hear. The only time I've been to Jerryworld was for the Texas / UCLA game which was technically a UCLA home game. I'm glad I went but it didn't feel like a college game.

I'd go to the "Cotton Bowl Classic" there or the Big12 title game but that's it.

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

Actually the Dallas politicians are the ones putting the band aids on this thing after everything went to JerryWorld. They've put a decent amount of money into that stadium for essentially one big game, 1 lower tier game, 1 no one gives a shit about game, and an afterthought late December bowl game. 

This. Folks, the Cotton Bowl is 100x better than it used to be. And when they added the upper deck in the endzones the stadium was vastly improved. Restrooms are much improved as well.

But @TornACL @TXSooner518 I think we need to have a sitdown with our good buddy who runs the stand that we set up shop up cuz I don't think he has the cheap beer anymore...

12 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Friday Night in Dallas is, or at least was, part of the tradition.  The 11:30 kick kills the Friday night festivities.  Period.  End of story.

The Prime Kickoff Slot for College Football (regular season) is 230 or 300.  It always has been.  Or at least it was.  End. Of. Line.

11am has been a national slot for ABC for years. 2:30pm was the regional slot that they would put 2-3 games on. Remember the maps we would use to see showing what part of the country had the eastern, central, and western games?  Or they would do the ABC/ESPN mirror for the 2:30pm game (in your area the game would be on ABC and the other game on ESPN). The 6pm ABC game was a new edition around 2005.

14 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

My guess is the young grads and college students are still going hard Friday night and sucking it up on Saturday morning.

And the beauty is they are the ones who can rebound.

And I won't be 100% on Saturday morning either... I can suck it up as well.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to act like 11 am isn't a national kickoff time. tOSU Michigan is that time every year. Texas OU was that time pretty much every year Texas and OU were top 10 teams in the 00s. The game isn't going to be 7pm for logistical purposes, no matter how much people want that to happen. Dallas PD doesn't want to untangle 100K+ people leaving the Fair at 11pm+ out of a tiny area with a small portion of side streets. This isn't leaving the AAC where a highway is right there. I've sat in 2 hours lines waiting to leave the Cotton Bowl after firework shows. It's a fucking shitshow. The area is not made for that many people to all leave at the same time. 

And sorry but fuck ever moving the game to home and home even for anniversaries. No one, outside of a scant few bit of people want that. The tradition for all of us is to go to the Cotton Bowl. I don't give a shit if the game was once played home and home. The Cotton Bowl is where it has been for over 100 years. That's where it will be and where it should be. Fuck ever going home and home. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to act like 11 am isn't a national kickoff time. tOSU Michigan is that time every year.

That's Noon eastern.  And it's not neutral site.

Cocktail Party. 330 eastern.

Army-Navy. 330 eastern.

Name another neutral-site league game between helmet schools or that is considered a "big rivalry" that kicks at 11am local time.

Can't think of one?

Name another home/home league game between helmet schools or that is considered a "big rivalry" that kicks at 11am local time.

Not 11am Central. 11am Local, i.e. Eastern, Mountain or Pacific.

Texas OU and tOSU Michigan are the two top rivalries in CFB. Cocktail Party is a manufactured imitation. Army Navy is only seen as such because of deference to the schools. 

Auburn/Alabama falls at 2:30 strictly because CBS only shows games at 2:30 with the occasional prime time slot.

Before ABC started doing prime time games, 11am was always the national slot with 2:30 being the regional window.

Edited by mdmost

48 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Kills the Friday night festivities? LOL I suggest you get some new friends who know what they're doing. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Texas OU and tOSU Michigan are the two top rivalries in CFB. Cocktail Party is a manufactured imitation. Army Navy is only seen as such because of deference to the schools. 

Auburn/Alabama falls at 2:30 strictly because CBS only shows games at 2:30 with the occasional prime time slot.

Before ABC started doing prime time games, 11am was always the national slot with 2:30 being the regional window.

This. All of this. I remember the regional maps of which games were on ABC/ESPN mirror in the area.

Iron Bowl is 2:30 because CBS uses it's one prime time game for LSU-Alabama. 

The Army Navy game is also the 2nd weekend in December AFTER the conference championships.  It's always the only game that entire weekend (post-CC and pre-bowl)

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Keith Jackson always opened with "It's a beautiful day for college football".

Greatest call in college football and I can still hear his voice.

Went like this:

"It's a great day for college football here at the Cotton Bowl where the University Of Texas Longhorns will take on the Sooners of Oklahoma. Hello everybody!":

This game is everything that is right with college football.  No more enjoyment than hammering a few beers and a morning corn dog prior to going in to the stadium and watching the bands come out.  God I love it so.  And I love the 11am kickoff now that I'm not staying out until 3 am on friday night

• Like 2

Least we can do is put it in alphabetical order.  It's been a trivial annoyance for decades to me that they just get a pass for calling the University of Oklahoma, O.U.---but for some reason they get a pass on that.  I'd prefer to maintain some respect for the English language, despite the best efforts of land thieves to ruin it.  

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

Someone earlier made a point about Fox that I want to confirm. 

Texas - USC ended up being a 720p kick. Does that mean we're actually putting toe to leather at 11:20?

This is vital information to confirm, for pregame consumption purposes. 

When the game is on FOX, I add 20 minutes. CBS, 10-15 minutes.

I really wanted a 2:30 p.m. start this year. I will be flying into Denver late Friday night. Staying close to the airport and then moving to an hotel downtown. So now I will have to get to my hotel downtown early to leave my luggage with the bell desk. Then get back to Cherry Creek to the Texas Exes watch party by 9:00 a.m.

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Least we can do is put it in alphabetical order.  It's been a trivial annoyance for decades to me that they just get a pass for calling the University of Oklahoma, O.U.---but for some reason they get a pass on that.  I'd prefer to maintain some respect for the English language, despite the best efforts of land thieves to ruin it.  

Lmao. You will have an easier time getting dogs and cats to marry than those stupid dirt burglars to speak anything close to proper English. They lack the mental capacity to process it despite the minimal amount required as they are exposed to their gibberish at birth.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

I agree with all sentiments, but this last bit isn't quite true.  In the 90s and early 2000s, the 2:30 game was national, and the 11 AM games were less frequent, and regional.  ABC switched sometime around, maybe, 2001 or 2002?  I don't recall exactly when.  They also added in primetime in the mid 2000s, and  the capability for ESPN and ESPN2 reverse mirrors, so the definition of "national time slot" is now more diluted than ever.  But it's true that the 11 AM game has been considered the "national" time slot for at least a decade and a half.

It looks like there are two protests against the 11 AM slot. The first is along the lines of what Hagbard is saying, that the morning kickoff after a fun Friday in Dallas is tough.  I get it, but it's been this way for the majority of the past 15 years, so we should all be used to it.

The second argument is RD's weird assertion that the 11 AM timeslot somehow diminishes the relative importance of the game with respect to national exposure. That argument is stupid and makes no sense, since over the past 15 years the 11 AM timeslot has clearly been demonstrated to be a national timeslot with a national draw.  Regardless of when it kicks locally, NATIONALLY Michigan-Ohio State usually kicks at the exact same time, and nobody feels it's diminished because of that.  This is a stupid argument that only someone who is completely disconnected from the national perceptions in college football would ever attempt to make.

The 11 AM kickoff has its drawbacks, but there are also some advantages, and after the past couple decades of this, I have no idea why anyone is surprised or upset.  But, surly gonna surly I guess. :)

11 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Except you don't, because you said you want to arrive at 930 or 10 instead of 8.

And I would still get more of it that way, and at a more leisurely pace.  I also tend to procure my tickets on gameday, and I like having a little extra time to get that accomplished. 

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well he's dead so.....

Well, hot damn..! I'd wonder, is there any way to know what time kickoff was in the 50's/ 60's & 70's, before the proliferation of television showing 15+ games Saturday..?

There obviously was a time when kickoff probably was based on what time was better for fans to show up,enjoy the game, then safely make in back to Austin & Norman...

29 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Didn’t bother to check if this was already raised but If Texas and OU ever meet up in the dumb Big 12 championship game rematch I guess we’ll get a preview of what a regular Jerryworld Texas-OU game (shudders in horror) would be like.

It has been brought up.  It would be terrible.  Like a really bad horror movie, except those are sometimes enjoyable, and this would not be.

13 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Well, hot damn..! I'd wonder, is there any way to know what time kickoff was in the 50's/ 60's & 70's, before the proliferation of television showing 15+ games Saturday..?

You can go here and see the box scores for every Texas OU. Most will list the kickoff time.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/21/FB_0721134841.aspx

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

Someone earlier made a point about Fox that I want to confirm. 

Texas - USC ended up being a 720p kick. Does that mean we're actually putting toe to leather at 11:20?

This is vital information to confirm, for pregame consumption purposes. 

From my experience...that toe is so close to the ball at that time you better have your ass in your seat.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You can go here and see the box scores for every Texas OU. Most will list the kickoff time.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/21/FB_0721134841.aspx

For those of you saying kick is closer to 11:20, looking through the last couple of 11am box scores, they show kickoff times of 11:06 and 11:07.