Texas OU set for 11am

mdmost

45 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Nothing says the contract can't be amended. I would think Jerry is going to throw money at the schools to replace the Cotton Bowl as the venue when the current contract expires. If I am entering into negotiations for a new contract, the last thing I would do is to piss off the other party right when negotiations are about to commence on a new contract.

If the Cotton Bowl people refuse to even discuss the idea of allowing a centennial home-and-home series in 2022 and 2023 (when UT and OU want to showcase their programs every way possible at the end of the GOR), I think that would be remembered in 2024, when the new contract is being discussed.

If Del Conte wants to do the home-and-home an dthe Cotton Bowl people refuse, that would pretty much assure the game moving to Jerryworld.

Fuck Jerry and fuck that stadium for college games. 

• Like 6

Odd year-Orange Jersey-home sideline

Even year-tight whites-visitor sideline

I’ve come around to enjoy the 11am kick. Gets me back to the Gaylord sports bar by early afternoon where I stay until everything gets fuzzy and goes dark. 

Edited by Lat22

44 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s not about stepping your game up.  I’m sure most do just that.  It’s about having 3.5 hours of glorious pregame activities stolen from us.  I will be at the fair at 8:00 a.m. doing the exact same thing you are doing.  I’d rather get there around 9:30 or 10:00 and take my time.  There is zero reason that the two schools, who are the sole reason this conference is still a viable entity,  cannot dictate what time this game is played.  And that time should be 2:30.

Arriving at 930 or 10 blows ass because the fair is already crowded. I want the ability to consume while the pussies are still dragging their asses to the fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

And a night game is a no-go for a variety of very logical reasons, but I would like to see it happen once for the sheer carnage.  It would be like The Purge.

It would be like a night game in Death Valley if half the stadium was Bama fans. 

But with a little bit less liquor and a little bit more money. 

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Nothing says the contract can't be amended. I would think Jerry is going to throw money at the schools to replace the Cotton Bowl as the venue when the current contract expires. If I am entering into negotiations for a new contract, the last thing I would do is to piss off the other party right when negotiations are about to commence on a new contract.

If the Cotton Bowl people refuse to even discuss the idea of allowing a centennial home-and-home series in 2022 and 2023 (when UT and OU want to showcase their programs every way possible at the end of the GOR), I think that would be remembered in 2024, when the new contract is being discussed.

If Del Conte wants to do the home-and-home an dthe Cotton Bowl people refuse, that would pretty much assure the game moving to Jerryworld.

Have you lost your fucking mind?

Take a few plays off. Fuck this idea of a home and home. And FUCK Jerryworld. For fuck's sake, people. Why does this annual thread turn everyone into a bunch of idiots?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

It does benefit those that have Saturday tickets (I do not), since you can still fit a huge chunk of the lineup in your schedule.  However, those staying up late with Sir McCartney on Friday night, is gonna make for a rough morning; I know I can't do it like that.  This surly site is getting too old for this shit.  Still what a cool 24 hours that would make-Paul McCartney and then beating OU and back in Austin by Saturday early evening.  

Raises hand.  But yeah could be a rough morning wake-up call.

I axtually agree with TXSooner.  The earlier kicks are much less crowded when the gates are open, and it weeds out the less committed, leaving the Fairgrounds wide open for me.

Of course now, we always show up on Thursday night, spend all day Friday at the Fair, and then Saturday is pretty much limited to the game and some fine people-watching , observing the oklahoma freakshow, idoit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Well, if we ever make it to the Big 12 title game we might get to see what Texas/OU at Jerry World is like.

Spoiler: it will suck compared to the Cotton Bowl.

Wow I totally forgot we have the chance to play them twice in a season now. 

Here's to 1-0 this year 

Edited by ztejas

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I axtually agree with TXSooner.  The earlier kicks are much less crowded when the gates are open, and it weeds out the less committed, leaving the Fairgrounds wide open for me.

Of course now, we always show up on Thursday night, spend all day Friday at the Fair, and then Saturday is pretty much limited to the game and some fine people-watching , observing the oklahoma freakshow, idoit.

There will always be crybabies in every fanbase.  We are lucky to participate in what is, in my humble estimation, the best sporting event in America every year. And some people will be downright miserable that it starts 3 1/2 hours earlier than they'd personally prefer.

Yes, you will feel fucking miserable when you wake up at 6am if you did anything correctly on Friday night. Yes, it will be worth it. It is the best day of the year. You can keep Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July. As long as I have TX/OU at Fair Park in October, that's all I need.

• Like 5

The drunks aside I’ve never understood the concern of a 7pm game from a traffic standpoint. 103K+ had to leave DKR last Saturday. If anything the Fair is closed by the time the game lets out so the traffic is strictly game related. Unlike to others point of last year where people are rolling out from the game, commoners are rolling out from the Fair, people are coming into the Fair, and the people of Dallas who don’t give a fuck either way are also out and about doing their Saturday afternoon/early evening shit.

Does drunk doe....

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

This is such bullshit. Ohio State - Michigan almost always kicks at 11am.

But it's noon for them. 

And their roads ice over at night that time of year.  Emergency responders were overwhelmed by tongues stuck to poles calls the last time Michigan - an Ohio State was at night.

Edited by clapclapclap

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

What, exactly, in the fuck are you talking about?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OrangEngr said:

I will never attend a Texas / OU game at jerry world. Going to home and home on campus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> playing at Jerryworld. What makes anyone think the magic that is the state fair/ cotton bowl could even be 1% recreated in arlington

Based on having CDC vs Patterson, I have to think the cotton bowl isn’t at risk

21 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The drunks aside I’ve never understood the concern of a 7pm game from a traffic standpoint. 103K+ had to leave DKR last Saturday. If anything the Fair is closed by the time the game lets out so the traffic is strictly game related. Unlike to others point of last year where people are rolling out from the game, commoners are rolling out from the Fair, people are coming into the Fair, and the people of Dallas who don’t give a fuck either way are also out and about doing their Saturday afternoon/early evening shit.

Does drunk doe....

The area basically makes the south side of Chicago look like boys scout convention.

47 minutes ago, mdleast said:

#NoRegularSeasonGamesInNFLStadiums

#Ever

If someone, like TCU or Houston, wanted to give up their home game to play in Jerryworld or NRG than I wouldn't care all that much. I certainly wouldn't give up a home game to play at a neutral site and TX/OU should never be moved from the Cotton Bowl.

Edited by maninblack
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TornACL said:

There will always be crybabies in every fanbase.  We are lucky to participate in what is, in my humble estimation, the best sporting event in America every year. And some people will be downright miserable that it starts 3 1/2 hours earlier than they'd personally prefer.

Yes, you will feel fucking miserable when you wake up at 6am if you did anything correctly on Friday night. Yes, it will be worth it. It is the best day of the year. You can keep Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July. As long as I have TX/OU at Fair Park in October, that's all I need.

TX/OU at 11:00 is a 9.5.  2:30 is a 10.  7:00 would be an 11 if you survived it.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

This game should be played at 2:30 every fucking year, tv networks be damned.  I would actually like to see that put in the next tv contract when we can hold the conference hostage with the threat of bolting for greener pastures.  The game is at 2:30, you fucknuts figure out what channel you would like to put it on. 

It's probably solid enough strategy to get the XII conVINCEd...

The area basically makes the south side of Chicago look like boys scout convention.

Not really and even if it was the Fair seems to have no problem staying open until well past dark.

Everybody says this all the time. Yet living in DFW most of my life I’m pretty sure the local media isn’t regularly reporting carnage and bloodshed befalling night time fair goers for 24 days each year.

Hell some SoCal hippie got his ass beat last weekend by a dad on the West side of DKR.

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Zero issues with 11AM kicks.  It's a rare thing to find a situation where it's socially acceptable to be plowed when the sun comes up.

11AM kicks provide such a venue.  Then again, I've always been a morning person.

Yeah there is something great about being parked and cracking your first beer before the sun comes up.

This year I will be leaving home at 6am to make it to parking lot at 7am when it opens.  Drink beer until 10.  Head into stadium (with flask).  After game heading straight to Love Field to catch a flight to Vegas for the McGregor fight, then out to a party afterwards.  Good chance I'll be dead by Sunday.

Edited by Angry Gorilla
  • Like 4

I fucking hate mornings and even I think that 11 AM is the right time for this game. Leaving Fair Park last year was an absolute fucking nightmare.

Shut the fuck up and wake up at 6 AM, get to the fair early and eat some fucking Fletcher's, then wash it down with (many) a wax cup Shiner and gargle my balls.

OU sucks.

Edited by Roofle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

It's an ass beating to actually go to the game with an 11am kickoff but it's so fucking awesome if you're watching from home. Micheladas/Mimosas and breakfast tacos in the morning then pound beers right before the game. Watch all the other games in either the ecstasy of victory or agony of defeat, all while pounding more drinks and Grilling/BBQing. Good shit. 

Shit, for a few years, my brother and I would get drunk Friday night, throw on the brisket at midnight, and get to bed around 3am. Wake up at 9 ready to do it all over again. God I miss being young.

• Like 1

When they're smart and want to limit death via alcohol poisoning, they make the Iowa/ISU game an 11AM kick.  Many of the years I had season tickets, regardless of game location, we'd party Friday night until 2 or so, pass out for a couple hours, and if the game was in Ames, be at the tailgate lots by 5AM.  If it was in Iowa City, we'd be up by then, but might just be drinking where we crashed before heading out around sunlight.  I remember puking up Bloody Marys and coffee before sunrise at the 2011 3OT game.  After the game, you'd go back to where you were staying, take a nap, watch afternoon games, drink, and get ready to party that night.

It would probably kill me now, but damn it that was fun.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

If someone, like TCU or Houston, wanted to give up their home game to play in Jerryworld or NRG than I wouldn't care all that much. I certainly wouldn't give up a home game to play at a neutral site and TX/OU should never be moved from the Cotton Bowl.
This..
Even if the combined Texas/blowU fanbases have to empty our ira's to buy and maintain the fuckin Cotton Bowl.

11am is fine. Yeah 230 is slightly preferable just bc of Friday night but if you don't enjoy the hell out of it either way you're a sad sack of shit. All it really does is move your fair going from before to after the game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Well, I don't live in Austin anymore, but I know that if I was still living there I wouldn't want a bunch of Sooners invading the city - not even for one weekend - ever.

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Team 11:00 here. Get drunk earlier, no lines, easier to leave after the game.

There was a year in the 80's that had an 11 am (I think) kick where Crown Royal sponsored the Tx Exes pregame... now that was a full throttle pregame. Don't think they've sponsored since. 

9 minutes ago, HornsinArky said:

What is the ideal time to get there for the game? Best places to park?

It's 1:33pm and OU still sucks

Pick an ideal time, then subtract one hour, and get there 30 minutes before that.   There is no such thing as too early.  

I prefer taking the DART in, and not hassling with driving and parking.  But I always stay way out north, and jump on the train at 7:00 AM, bloody mary in hand.

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ousux said:

This..
Even if the combined Texas/blowU fanbases have to empty our ira's to buy and maintain the fuckin Cotton Bowl.

It's so nice to have one game every year that's actually played in a stadium with a college game atmosphere.  No giant video board blaring ads, piped in music and crap like jet pack man.  Just the bands playing and a shitload of drunk fans screaming their lungs out.

• Like 1