Army @ Oklahoma

Constant

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I obviously couldn't watch, much like everyone else, bc lol ppv, but someone sent me that TOP was 45/15, is that right?  If so, that's maybe the most lopsided number I've ever seen.  Wow. 

At one point, total plays were 82 to 32, which is just beyond anything I have seen, save maybe the 77-0 game in 2003.  Completely surreal.  Full respect to Army for how they prepared and executed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lots of booing by the American hating assholes

Are you deaf? There was nothing but cheers and respect shown to Army and anyone who booed Army soldiers would’ve had a strong likelihood of being punched in the face.

You’d be much more likely to see that in Austin aka “San Francisco - South.”

• Fuck You 11

Some of you are a trip. Put away that childish shit and watch some of that game. Army is pretty fucking salty.

When ou could actually get the fucking ball they scored almost at will, save one call that damn near cost them the game. But Army represented well, and they play hard. The Woolfolk kid can play anywhere, he is fucking tough. And of course depth, which they have so little of. Fun to watch actually, and glad it wasn’t us. Do not schedule them fuckers in the middle of the season when they are starting 12 seniors.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Some of you are a trip. Put away that childish shit and watch some of that game. Army is pretty fucking salty.

When ou could actually get the fucking ball they scored almost at will, save one call that damn near cost them the game. But Army represented well, and they play hard. The Woolfolk kid can play anywhere, he is fucking tough. And of course depth, which they have so little of. Fun to watch actually, and glad it wasn’t us. Do not schedule them fuckers in the middle of the season when they are starting 12 seniors.

You think Army is better than TCU?

Fuck OU and that was a poor form win all around. If they bring that weak shit into the Cotton Bowl they are getting curbstomped.

SMU beat Navy yesterday. Service academy schools are nothing special.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I don't overreact when a good team nearly loses to an option team like army or navy. To me it doesn't change anything in our outlook against OU.

This is the right outlook. It is just too hard to get well prepared for that kind of attack in a few days, especially as a team that faces spread teams week in and week out. Army isn't garbage anymore either. OU didn't look great but they handled the changeup, got a W, and live to fight another day. It doesn't change anything about how Texas matches up with them because there is nothing similar between Texas and Army. Oklahoma will not score with ease every time it has the ball against Texas. Texas will not hold the ball for 45 minutes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

You think Army is better than TCU?

Fuck OU and that was a poor form win all around. If they bring that weak shit into the Cotton Bowl they are getting curbstomped.

SMU beat Navy yesterday. Service academy schools are nothing special.

Except that the device academies still have to maintain weight standards so they run significantly lighter than a normal college team. This is particularly apparent along the lines. The fact that service academies are able to play with teams who dwarf them speaks volumes to their ability to play the game.

19 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I obviously couldn't watch, much like everyone else, bc lol ppv, but someone sent me that TOP was 45/15, is that right?  If so, that's maybe the most lopsided number I've ever seen.  Wow. 

Tech was 41 to Okie Lite 19 in their game.  Kliff went into the 'prevent offense' a little bit early, but it worked out.

Army is a fun team to watch if you like the option.  Monken does a great job with what he has to work with.  I never imagined the Black Knights hanging with Oklahoma on the scoreboard that way.

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is the right outlook. It is just too hard to get well prepared for that kind of attack in a few days, especially as a team that faces spread teams week in and week out. Army isn't garbage anymore either. OU didn't look great but they handled the changeup, got a W, and live to fight another day. It doesn't change anything about how Texas matches up with them because there is nothing similar between Texas and Army. Oklahoma will not score with ease every time it has the ball against Texas. Texas will not hold the ball for 45 minutes.

OU gave up about 2 plays in the entire game for longer than 15 yards.  The biggest thing was that the D-line never really adjusted to Army's cut blocking.  So they never shut down that fullback dive.  You can't get a flexbone team off the field if they get 3-4 yards a pop on that dive play consistently.  Oklahoma won't play another team this year that blocks that way.

The only transitive things from that game that might carry forward is that OU's secondary looks like it's going to struggle to tackle all year.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

If you fuckers don't beat these sister fuckers this year, just fucking hang it up.

Would've beaten them last season if it wasn't for a blown coverage. Sure looks like Nebraska hung it up this season, I'm not even sure they'd have beaten Akron to sit at 1-3.

13 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

The only transitive things from that game that might carry forward is that OU's secondary looks like it's going to struggle to tackle all year.

There's no doubt that UT & TCU will try a bit more"ball control run game" against OU in the coming weeks...

There's a reason why most coaches hate scheduling service academies.   Either you take the whole week to properly prepare for the flexbone, which doesn't just mean your defense, but also rejiggering your scout team offense, which may not be a good physical similarity to Army's light quick players.  Or you maintain your normal prep and hope your size/speed advantage carries the day.  My guess is they did some normal game planning, then also spent some film time on us and TCU.

Add in a knucklehead of a DC like Mike Stoops and you get Saturday's result.

Edited by Bateshorn

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

There's a reason why most coaches hate scheduling service academies.   Either you take the whole week to properly prepare for the flexbone, which doesn't just mean your defense, but also rejiggering your scout team offense, which may not be a good physical similarity to Army's light quick players.  Or you maintain your normal prep and hope your size/speed advantage carries the day.  My guess is they did some normal game planning, then also spent some film time on us and TCU.

Probably should've spent some time thinking about Baylor, too.  S&P+ thinks Baylor is a better opponent than KSU (who we play) and Iowa State (who played OU in a relatively close game earlier this year).

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Stoops allegedly ran a defense the Sooners have not ran all season, in last Saturday's game, the exact opposite of brilliant... 

maxresdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Except that the device academies still have to maintain weight standards so they run significantly lighter than a normal college team. This is particularly apparent along the lines. The fact that service academies are able to play with teams who dwarf them speaks volumes to their ability to play the game.

Fucking Duke beat Army by 20 points. Ohio State kicked the shit out of them last year. Then Army lost to freaking Tulane. 

Quit making excuses for Brokelahoma. Army is not a P5 football team - you don't let them take you to OT at home if you're actually the 5th best team in the country. The fact that OU was unable to play the game on their terms speaks to OU's shitty preparation and soft play more than Army running the same play 80 times. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Fucking Duke beat Army by 20 points. Ohio State kicked the shit out of them last year. Then Army lost to freaking Tulane. 

Quit making excuses for Brokelahoma. Army is not a P5 football team - you don't let them take you to OT at home if you're actually the 5th best team in the country. The fact that OU was unable to play the game on their terms speaks to OU's shitty preparation and soft play more than Army running the same play 80 times. 

I'm not making excuses for oklahoma. They can fuck off. They choked in that game. I was saying Army played a hell of a game and should've won. I'm not sure where you got any idea that I was defending that shitstorm of a team in red.

1 minute ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm not making excuses for oklahoma. They can fuck off. They choked in that game. I was saying Army played a hell of a game and should've won. I'm not sure where you got any idea that I was defending that shitstorm of a team in red.

Apologies. They are teams that schools are hesitant to schedule for a reason and I understand that. 

That said - OU knew who was on their roster at the start of the season. Conference play is going to be a rude awakening if they keep taking teams for granted like that. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Apologies. They are teams that schools are hesitant to schedule for a reason and I understand that. 

That said - OU knew who was on their roster at the start of the season. Conference play is going to be a rude awakening if they keep taking teams for granted like that. 

Agreed. They also lost their ability for a power running game when Anderson went down; so now it's all on the hobbit to do everything. If Texas can contain him in two weeks they are fucked. Someone needs to spy his ass for the whole game and take away his ability to move the ball on the ground. I think Texas will be able to marginalize their passing game to some extent, but they have players who can score from anywhere on the field. So our DBs will need to be on point.

11 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Agreed. They also lost their ability for a power running game when Anderson went down; so now it's all on the hobbit to do everything. If Texas can contain him in two weeks they are fucked. Someone needs to spy his ass for the whole game and take away his ability to move the ball on the ground. I think Texas will be able to marginalize their passing game to some extent, but they have players who can score from anywhere on the field. So our DBs will need to be on point.

Best case we contain the run with 5 or 6 up front and some help from the safeties and run a lot of nickel and dime packages. 

I'd like to see BJ play more SS/OLB hybrid and lay the fucking wood on some ball carriers. 

Gary is going to be a nightmare for them to deal with. Hope we get out of Manhattan healthy and 4-1. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Best case we contain the run with 5 or 6 up front and some help from the safeties and run a lot of nickel and dime packages. 

I'd like to see BJ play more SS/OLB hybrid and lay the fucking wood on some ball carriers. 

Gary is going to be a nightmare for them to deal with. Hope we get out of Manhattan healthy and 4-1. 

This is definitely a huge week. If Texas can leave Manhattan with a W, it will set up a huge red river shootout, but the purple wizard can't be overlooked. It doesn't matter how shitty his team is this year, he always has some form of dark sorcery for Texas.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

This. I had an OU friend telling me all day that they were really gonna struggle against Army's super hard to defend triple option, I was like dude it's fucking Army, if you have a shitty run defense you're gonna get toasted in conf play. I pretty much told him that Mike Stoops blows dicks like his brother.

Then again, Texas struggled with Tulsa, so who really knows. At least that one didn't go OT.

2 minutes ago, Nick Nolte said:

Apparently it was an honor (reading the twitter comments) for the sooners to be able to host such an incredible, heroic football team and have the game go the distance. OU never wanted to convincingly win - that would be disrespectful to the soldiers. 

But yeah, OU, spin whatever the fuck that was on Saturday as a "let's bring the troops home" kinda deal. Sounds like something they would do down in middle-of-the-fuck-nowehere Station. 

I get that Army's offense is hard to prepare for and, therefore, can cause problems. But this is the "alleged" #5 team in the country playing at home. There's maybe a half-dozen players on Army that OU would even want. I was more surprised at OU's lack of offensive production in the second half. I know you have limited drives but I think you've got to score more than 21 points against their outmanned defense, right?

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Apparently it was an honor (reading the twitter comments) for the sooners to be able to host such an incredible, heroic football team and have the game go the distance. OU never wanted to convincingly win - that would be disrespectful to the soldiers. 

But yeah, OU, spin whatever the fuck that was on Saturday as a "let's bring the troops home" kinda deal. Sounds like something they would do down in middle-of-the-fuck-nowehere Station. 

You're way off, and in a couple different posts, it's the same theme.  You posted earlier how Duke beat Army this year.  How'd it go last season?

Army traditionally schedules at least one Top 25 team a year and uses it for recruiting.  Most of those guys are not DI- FCS type players and personally, I believe the academies are FCS type teams.  However, due to tradition, the money involved, and the schemes the academy programs employ, they play as FBS teams.  Army had a 10 win season in 2017 and beat a Rashad Penny lead San Diego State squad in the Armed Forces Bowl.  IT was the best season for Army in 2 decades.  Navy has been relatively competitive until last season.  USAF was badass in the 80's and 90's, although they have been grounded, so to speak, as of late.

Army's recent opponents of note: OU, Stanford, Wake Forest, Duke, A&M, and Ohio State.  It's hardly a stunt by OU do schedule the game and send $6mm to West Point.

I'd love to see some SEC schools schedule the academies for their Neovember cupcake games and get all fucked up.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I get that Army's offense is hard to prepare for and, therefore, can cause problems. But this is the "alleged" #5 team in the country playing at home. There's maybe a half-dozen players on Army that OU would even want. I was more surprised at OU's lack of offensive production in the second half. I know you have limited drives but I think you've got to score more than 21 points against their outmanned defense, right?

scheme/ execution matter.

That's the beauty of the game.

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

You're way off, and in a couple different posts, it's the same theme.  You posted earlier how Duke beat Army this year.  How'd it go last season?

Army traditionally schedules at least one Top 25 team a year and uses it for recruiting.  Most of those guys are not DI- FCS type players and personally, I believe the academies are FCS type teams.  However, due to tradition, the money involved, and the schemes the academy programs employ, they play as FBS teams.  Army had a 10 win season in 2017 and beat a Rashad Penny lead San Diego State squad in the Armed Forces Bowl.  IT was the best season for Army in 2 decades.  Navy has been relatively competitive until last season.  USAF was badass in the 80's and 90's, although they have been grounded, so to speak, as of late.

Army's recent opponents of note: OU, Stanford, Wake Forest, Duke, A&M, and Ohio State.  It's hardly a stunt by OU do schedule the game and send $6mm to West Point.

I'd love to see some SEC schools schedule the academies for their Neovember cupcake games and get all fucked up.

This is horrendously off topic. I'm making fun of OU fans somehow equating military service and respect with being a good football team (just scroll the replies on twitter - not the actual tweet). Not sure what the fuck 80s and 90s Air Force teams have to do with it - or even what Army did last year for that matter.

I don't think anyone here has anything against service academies. I watched a 9 win Navy team hang 75 on SMU in person and Ford stadium was filled to the brim with vets and families. Despite the embarrassing L it was a great atmosphere. I get it. 

Army leaving the locker room cleaned up doesn't make them a good football team. It's a cute parallel some OU fans are trying to draw but seems to mostly be serving as a distraction to the highly questionable product they rolled out on Saturday.

But if you want to "give the Sooners credit for hanging tough with a good Army team" I'd be happy to ship you a case of O'Douls, jorts and discount bin Garth Brooks CDs.

• Haha 1

Stop me if you've heard this before.

OU starts the season highly ranked.  OU then loses a game early to a lesser opponent and or looks mortal against teams that they're expected to blow out of the stadium.  Texas fans get giddy over OU's perceived weakness.  And then Texas fans are greatly perturbed to find out that OU is still happy enough to beat them in the Cotton Bowl and have a great season.

This has generally been the script since Mack started in 98.  I don't think that recent UT teams or staff's play in fear of the Sooners like some of MB's teams, but tap the breaks on the circle jerk about OU looking beatable against Army. The only game I care about them looking beatable in is the one in Dallas.  Otherwise its just a rinse and repeat of the plot line above.