Oh JFC now farmer's markets are symbols of racial oppression

EMAWesome

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck.
Yes.

I’m also partial to roadside stands where you can buy watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, live chickens, rabbits, and goats.

Reminds me of "a taco truck on every corner."

So suddenly taco trucks and fresh produce are bad? #Murica

19 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

the professors elaborate, describing farmers’ markets as “white spaces where the food consumption habits of white people are normalized.”

What is it about the food consumption habits of white people that are not considered normal and are trying to be normalized?   Asking as a white person.

20 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Had to neg dumbass OP.  The left bitches about racist/bigoted shit the PRESIDENT says.  To both sides shit, you find a couple of idiot ‘professors’ spouting nonsense.  I’d have laid off the neg bullshit, but you actually decided this needed its own thread.  Fuck you.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was making an ethnic joke.

One time, I  was hanging out with a buddy of mine and his cousin. His cousin recently moved from California and started talking about a swap meet he attended in San Antonio. My buddy told him, "you didn't go to a swap meet, you went to la pulga."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I'm actually a member there but I've forgotten my password and their password retrieval system has some kind of glitch in it where I never receive the e-mail I need to retreive/change my password.  And there is no way for me to send an email to the administrators about not being able to get my password without being logged in and I can't log in without my password so here I am.

So your connection to UT is..? Not saying mine is stronger (it probably isn’t) but I am curious what brought a staunch right winger to the surly liberal cabal... 

• Fuck You 1

As a San Diego guy that likes going to Farmer's Markets, yeah, the study is correct.  

They are all in white neighborhoods and the only brown people there are the ones selling the products.  

Our local one is at the courthouse...y'all know that the browns try to avoid going to the courthouse.  Carlsbad is on State Street where all the expensive bars, restaurants, and boutiques are, Oceanside is right off of Coast Hwy next to the beach, and so on...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, F250 said:

I was making an ethnic joke.

One time, I  was hanging out with a buddy of mine and his cousin. His cousin recently moved from California and started talking about a swap meet he attended in San Antonio. My buddy told him, "you didn't go to a swap meet, you went to la pulga."

To those liberal profs' point, Houston is planning to wypipo the shit out of Canino's

MLB Capital Partners has revealed new details of its stunning plan to transform the Houston Farmers Market into a dining and shopping destination for food-obsessed Houstonians and tourists. 

Better known as the Canino’s Market after its primary tenant, Canino Produce Co, the almost 18-acre tract on Airline near 610 will be transformed into a facility that provides a  “ into a destination retail experience offering more diversified products, renovated facilities and community programming with the goal of creating value for its vendors and guests,” according to a press release. Construction will add more climate-controlled areas, shaded markets, and additional seating areas. Groundbreaking on the project will take place this spring, with the aim of being fully operational by 2019.

The new animation shows some of the additions MLB aims to make to the market, including a fish monger, dedicated children's play area, a restaurant, and better separation for vehicles and pedestrians. MLB is working with consultants, including Underbelly partners Chris Shepherd and Kevin Floyd, who have been tasked with recruiting tenants for the new spaces. Other participants in the project include landscape architecture firm Clark Condon Associates, Studio RED Architects, Houston-based consulting firm Gunda Corporation, and Arch-Con Construction. 

While the proposed changes are undoubtedly exciting — the project has the potential to become Houston's version of a facility like Philadelphia’s Reading Terminal Market or the Pike Place Market in Seattle — some have expressed concerns that the changes will sacrifice the market's shabby charm and drive away its current customers. "Based on this animated short, it will be great for a handful of silent, mainly white people," freelance food writer David Leftwich tweeted Tuesday. 

30 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The new animation shows some of the additions MLB aims to make to the market, including a fish monger,

A "dedicated fish monger."  As someone who grew up on the gulf coast in the 70s, you know what we had?  It's something that every other person I know had: a "shrimp guy."  It was usually a particular guy who would set up on a particular roadside with a hand-lettered sign and a big cooler full of shrimp that he bought right off the boat.  I remember my dad swinging by our shrimp guy. I waited in the car, and he came back with a bag full of 5 lbs of fresh gulf shrimp.

I don't want to go to a place with a fish monger.  I want to go to a place with a shrimp guy.

BRING BACK THE SHRIMP GUY!

Just now, Brisketexan said:

A "dedicated fish monger."  As someone who grew up on the gulf coast in the 70s, you know what we had?  It's something that every other person I know had: a "shrimp guy."  It was usually a particular guy who would set up on a particular roadside with a hand-lettered sign and a big cooler full of shrimp that he bought right off the boat.  I remember my dad swinging by our shrimp guy. I waited in the car, and he came back with a bag full of 5 lbs of fresh gulf shrimp.

I don't want to go to a place with a fish monger.  I want to go to a place with a shrimp guy.

But did the shrimp guy go culinary school? 

7 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

OP is discussing identity politics. It is an important cultural and political trend that is causing all kinds of mayhem such as what the OP posted. It seems that many posters here are not following the news or are not aware of the major issues facing society today. 

lulz

It's not a major issue facing society today, it's a made-up issue that politicians frighten rubes like you with because you'll fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

7 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

OP is discussing identity politics. It is an important cultural and political trend that is causing all kinds of mayhem such as what the OP posted. It seems that many posters here are not following the news or are not aware of the major issues facing society today. 

The OP is a cynical third-hand account of a book that probably none of the reporters understand. It's like a game of telephone but worse. Identity politics does play a role in the cultural and political rot we see so much of today, but that isn't what's happening here.

I imagine that fish monger being a wealthy businessman with a fleet of boats and sells a lot to reasturants and other markets. As noted, a fish monger is far more simple, truck, paper sign and today's catch. Usually has a sticker on the truck that simply reads "fish". Still a lot of.people around here who wait at the docks to buy their fish or shrimp right off the boat.

Saddened by what's happen to Canino, but I dont make it up there often enough for it to effect my life. To me, that's a farmers market, as well as other stands on the side of the road as you drive towards the border. Seems more and.more, farmers markets are high priced, feel good about yourself bullshit.

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dat's what I'm talking about.

Although I think I recall that our shrimp guy was a black dude.

Maybe 10 years ago, I had to drive from NOLA through La Place on my way home.  And on the way, I saw....a shrimp guy.  In La Place, I stocked up on andouille, and fresh shrimp.  Then, in the Lafayette area, I loaded up on boudin.  Man, that old airline highway up to that stretch of I-10 is like the yellow brick road of food awesomeness.

2 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I imagine that fish monger being a wealthy businessman with a fleet of boats and sells a lot to reasturants and other markets. As noted, a fish monger is far more simple, truck, paper sign and today's catch. Usually has a sticker on the truck that simply reads "fish". Still a lot of.people around here who wait at the docks to buy their fish or shrimp right off the boat.

Saddened by what's happen to Canino, but I dont make it up there often enough for it to effect my life. To me, that's a farmers market, as well as other stands on the side of the road as you drive towards the border. Seems more and.more, farmers markets are high priced, feel good about yourself bullshit.

Tables full of yuppies each with about 8 fancy squash they sell for $10 apiece. 

Nashville had a good one when I was a kid, and it closed down for many years. When it first reopened it was like it had been before -- farmers with dirt still under their fingernails with truckloads of produce, but it gradually got yupped up, and now it's about "food artisans," "crafters," wine tastings, and chef demos. 

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

It's not a major issue facing society today, it's a made-up issue that politicians frighten rubes like you with because you'll fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

In the UK, grooming gangs are operating around the country, raping young girls. The police, mostly, refuse to prosecute. Like the Catholic Church, the British government refuses to stop covering up the rapes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/world/europe/reckoning-starts-in-britain-on-abuse-of-girls.html

ROTHERHAM, England — It started on the bumper cars in the children’s arcade of the local shopping mall. Lucy was 12, and a group of teenage boys, handsome and flirtatious, treated her and her friends to free rides and ice cream after school.

Over time, older men were introduced to the girls, while the boys faded away. Soon they were getting rides in real cars, and were offered vodka and marijuana. One man in particular, a Pakistani twice her age and the leader of the group, flattered her and bought her drinks and even a mobile phone. Lucy liked him.

The rapes started gradually, once a week, then every day: by the war memorial in Clifton Park, in an alley near the bus station, in countless taxis and, once, in an apartment where she was locked naked in a room and had to service half a dozen men lined up outside.

She obliged. How could she not? They knew where she lived. “If you don’t come back, we will rape your mother and make you watch,” they would say

Some officers and local officials told the investigation that they did not act for fear of being accused of racism. But Ms. Jay said that for years there was an undeniable culture of institutional sexism. Her investigation heard that police referred to victims as “tarts” and to the girls’ abuse as a “lifestyle choice.”

In the minutes of a meeting about a girl who had been raped by five men, a police detective refused to put her into the sexual abuse category, saying he knew she had been “100 percent consensual.” She was 12.

These abuses were ignored by the police specifically because the abusers were dark skinned minorities. Add is muslim, and you top the victim hierarchy. Not wanting to be perceived as racist, these criminals were allowed to continue. Even after Rotherham, even today, they are continuing to groom and rape young girls. It's estimated that at least 100k victims were ignored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

Yale is under investigation for being racist. https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-opens-probe-into-whether-yale-university-discriminates-against-asian-americans-1537980075

Roseanne had her career destroyed because she made a joke. Because part and parcel of identity politics is that you must destroy anyone who doesn't toe the line.  Because, you know, tolerance.

You may not have heard, but recently two assholes went to a Starbucks, refused to order anything, bragged about how much money they make, and got kicked out in accord with store policy, which was race neutral. It was national news. It was alleged that Starbucks was racist, and they had to shut down for a while to conduct "diversity training". Thankfully, Starbucks is now the world's urinal.

If could go on for hours. 

Identity politics is (1) ridiculous, (2) incredibly harmful, and (3) pervasive amongst all of our major institutions. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

32 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

In the UK, grooming gangs are operating around the country, raping young girls. The police, mostly, refuse to prosecute. Like the Catholic Church, the British government refuses to stop covering up the rapes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/world/europe/reckoning-starts-in-britain-on-abuse-of-girls.html

These abuses were ignored by the police specifically because the abusers were dark skinned minorities. Add is muslim, and you top the victim hierarchy. Not wanting to be perceived as racist, these criminals were allowed to continue. Even after Rotherham, even today, they are continuing to groom and rape young girls. It's estimated that at least 100k victims were ignored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

Yale is under investigation for being racist. https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-opens-probe-into-whether-yale-university-discriminates-against-asian-americans-1537980075

Roseanne had her career destroyed because she made a joke. Because part and parcel of identity politics is that you must destroy anyone who doesn't toe the line.  Because, you know, tolerance.

You may not have heard, but recently two assholes went to a Starbucks, refused to order anything, bragged about how much money they make, and got kicked out in accord with store policy, which was race neutral. It was national news. It was alleged that Starbucks was racist, and they had to shut down for a while to conduct "diversity training". Thankfully, Starbucks is now the world's urinal.

If could go on for hours. 

Identity politics is (1) ridiculous, (2) incredibly harmful, and (3) pervasive amongst all of our major institutions. 

Tell me what it was when the Dixie Chicks' careers were destroyed for making a statement about President Bush? What would you call that? 

Honestly, for a grown man who I'm sure fancies himself a rugged individualist, you sure are a fucking crybaby.

Edit: Not sure if you've been following the news lately, but the entire world is replete with horror stories of systemic child abuse, sexual assault, and rape committed by individuals and institutions. Of course, you find one from 4 years ago where it seems muslims or brown people are the main perps, then you flatly state that they are only getting away with it because they're muslims. How fucking convenient.

Edited by Foosters

15 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Tell me what it was when the Dixie Chicks' careers were destroyed for making a statement about President Bush? What would you call that? 

The free market. Dixie Chicks were not fired by a large corporation attempting to virtue signal their alleged moral superiority. This is exactly how Roseanne should have been handled, via the free market. If you don't like what she said, don't watch the show. Don't like what the Dixie Chicks said, don't listen to their music or go to their concerts. I don't need some corporation telling me what I can or can't listen to or watch.

Edit: Not sure if you've been following the news lately, but the entire world is replete with horror stories of systemic child abuse, sexual assault, and rape committed by individuals and institutions. Of course, you find one from 4 years ago where it seems muslims or brown people are the main perps, then you flatly state that they are only getting away with it because they're muslims. How fucking convenient.

I didn't say that, the British government did. That's a fact, not my opinion. And again, it isn't four years ago, it's ongoing. Why do you think Tommy Robinson was arrested? 

Edited by Thetexashammer

as long as this is a pointless thread, Papalote is an interesting place.  There's Torchy's, which is for white people, and then there's Arandas/Arandinas/Vallarta/Jaliscienses/etc.  I figured Papalote was another uppity white person taco place, and maybe it is a little bit, but I went in and ended up eating chicharron.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

The free market. Dixie Chicks were not fired by a large corporation attempting to virtue signal their alleged moral superiority. This is exactly how Roseanne should have been handled, via the free market. If you don't like what she said, don't watch the show. Don't like what the Dixie Chicks said, don't listen to their music or go to their concerts. I don't need some corporation telling me what I can or can't listen to or watch.

I didn't say that, the British government did. And again, it isn't four years ago, it's ongoing. 

This was your quote:

Because part and parcel of identity politics is that you must destroy anyone who doesn't toe the line.

Now tell me how this doesnt fit the above:

Country stations across the United States have pulled the Chicks from playlists following reports that lead singer Natalie Maines said in a concert in London earlier this week that she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Station managers said their decisions were prompted by calls from irate listeners who thought criticism of the president was unpatriotic.

Ok, so in one instance, public backlash caused a corporation to cancel a show. In the other, public backlash caused corporations to blacklist an artist. 

Yeah, I totally see the difference between the two.

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

as long as this is a pointless thread, Papalote is an interesting place.  There's Torchy's, which is for white people, and then there's Arandas/Arandinas/Vallarta/Jaliscienses/etc.  I figured Papalote was another uppity white person taco place, and maybe it is a little bit, but I went in and ended up eating chicharron.

Man, I love me some Papalote. Almost stopped there after work today, but I needed to make a run at Central Market.

Spoiler

wypipo

Edited by bolverk
How the fuck do you spoiler on surly? nvm. it worked the 2nd time.

4 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I didn't say that, the British government did. That's a fact, not my opinion. And again, it isn't four years ago, it's ongoing. Why do you think Tommy Robinson was arrested? 

You were a moron on the last board.  You're still a moron.  The Dixie Chicks WERE fired by, not "a" large corporation, but by several.  DJ's were ORDERED by large radio station owners to ban the Dixie Chicks from airplay.  Record stores removed their CDs from inventory at the orders of HQ.  

9 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

If you're paying more than $3 a taco, you're the problem with this city.

This is the most threatening premise in the thread.

God bless real taco trucks...