Oh JFC now farmer's markets are symbols of racial oppression

EMAWesome

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10306

Two San Diego State University (SDSU) professors recently criticized farmers’ markets for being “white spaces” that contribute to the oppression of minorities.

Pascale Joassart-Marcelli and Fernando J Bosco, two geography professors at SDSU, criticized the “whiteness of farmers’ markets” in a chapter for Just Green Enough, a new anthology published by Routledge in December.

The anthology, which features contributions from a variety of professors, aims to highlight the harms of “environmental gentrification,” a process in which “environmental improvements lead to…the displacement of long-term residents.”

Farmers’ markets are one such environmental improvement that can lead to gentrification, Bosco and Joassart-Marcelli argue, saying farmers’ markets are “exclusionary” since locals may not be able to “afford the food and/or feel excluded from these new spaces.”

This social exclusion is reinforced by the “whiteness of farmers’ markets” and the “white habitus” that they can reinforce, the professors elaborate, describing farmers’ markets as “white spaces where the food consumption habits of white people are normalized.”

This is a paradoxical outcome, since farmers’ markets are often established in the interest of fighting so-called “food deserts” in lower-income and minority communities. Since grocery stores in low-income communities often lack fresh quality produce, the professors say that in some cases, farmers’ markets may be only source of quality and affordable produce for locals.

Citing research they conducted in San Diego, however, Bosco and Joassart-Marcelli claim that 44 percent of the city’s farmers’ markets are located in census tracts with a high rate of gentrification, leading them to conclude that farmers’ markets “attract households from higher socio-economic backgrounds, raising property values and displacing low-income residents and people of color.”

“The most insidious part of this gentrification process is that alternative food initiatives work against the community activists and residents who first mobilized to fight environmental injustices and provide these amenities but have significantly less political and economic clout than developers and real estate professionals

The professors stop short of offering specific remedies, but do conclude that “curbing gentrification is a vexing task” that requires the involvement of both community members and local governments.

“Strong community involvement,” they say, is necessary in order to ensure that “the needs of the poorest...residents are prioritized,” while local governments can enact “equitable zoning policies, rent-control laws, and property tax reforms in favor of long-time homeowners” to combat the trend toward gentrification.

“Ultimately,” they conclude, countering gentrification “requires slow and inclusive steps that balance new initiatives and neighborhood stability to make cities ‘just green enough.’”

Campus Reform reached out to Bosco and Joassart-Marcelli for comment, but neither professor responded in time for publication.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

Farmers’ markets are one such environmental improvement that can lead to gentrification, Bosco and Joassart-Marcelli argue, saying farmers’ markets are “exclusionary” since locals may not be able to “afford the food and/or feel excluded from these new spaces.”

That's virtually everything about gentrification.  That's the problem*.  Prices rise on everything and old residents are forced to leave.  New condos? Too expensive.  Yuppie coffee bars?  Too expensive?  $8 tomatoes?  Too expensive.  Why the focus on farmers markets here?

*to the extent any of this is a problem.

just googled emaw and got this:
Kansas State University is embroiled in controversy over its longstanding slogan, "Every Man A Wildcat" (abbreviated EMAW). Some students want to change the line to "Every Person A Wildcat" — and traditionalists aren't happy.

Protest that shit, OP. GTFO with the rest of it.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just googled emaw and got this:
Kansas State University is embroiled in controversy over its longstanding slogan, "Every Man A Wildcat" (abbreviated EMAW). Some students want to change the line to "Every Person A Wildcat" — and traditionalists aren't happy.

Protest that shit, OP. GTFO with the rest of it.

He probably thinks things are going well in Kansas.

As a general rule, if you run across reporting of any kind of academic writing, the reporter probably got it wrong. I don't care enough to read the source because who cares, but if the OP is really fired up about this, he should probably read and understand the chapter outside of how it was framed here. Any statement from any media that's prefaced with "Professor Buttlicker writes in his new book" or "a recent Harvard study" probably isn't an accurate characterization of what was actually said. Sometimes the mischaracterization is malicious but often times it's just that the reporter didn't understand what they read. 

7 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Yeah, it's called . . . wait for it . . .  EMAW.  There's actually a guy named Steve Dave who's quite funny.  OP is a phaggot, tho.

I'm actually a member there but I've forgotten my password and their password retrieval system has some kind of glitch in it where I never receive the e-mail I need to retreive/change my password.  And there is no way for me to send an email to the administrators about not being able to get my password without being logged in and I can't log in without my password so here I am.

54 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Those profs have never been to my favorite farmer's market: Canino's on El Airline Drive, vato. 

caninos.jpg

There were enough white people there they don't gauge you on prices. Filled the frig many times over there and I miss that now that I live in Dallas.

Place just has a great vibe. 

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I'm actually a member there but I've forgotten my password and their password retrieval system has some kind of glitch in it where I never receive the e-mail I need to retreive/change my password.  And there is no way for me to send an email to the administrators about not being able to get my password without being logged in and I can't log in without my password so here I am.

So, Kansas haz teh dum.  Who knew. 

Seems legit.