86th Texas Legislative Session 01/08/19 - 05/27/19 thread of fail

Message Board User

Where are our free market supporters?

Remove the law and let the market sort it out. We should have laws to boost private enterprise profits.

Besides, if I realize I am out of liquor on a Sunday morning, I should be able to buy it.

Even better would be if Amazon Prime Now could deliver it within 2 hours.

Looks like the lege is going to look at the long DPS lines on Tuesday.  I need to renew in person this year and I can't say I'm looking forward to hanging out with the people of Walmart for 6 hours.

Make an appointment on line you’ll be in and out within an hour and that’s worst case assuming you show up 20 min early and they are 20 min behind.

I just renewed my license and had to go in person for registration - two different occurrences, two different locations - both with appointments and no issue. If you don’t make an appointment you need to take the whole day off to do it or get there at butt crack crazy early dawn I’m afraid.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:21 AM, Message Board User said:

Looks like the lege is going to look at the long DPS lines on Tuesday.  I need to renew in person this year and I can't say I'm looking forward to hanging out with the people of Walmart for 6 hours.

Maybe they shouldn't have closed a bunch of DPS offices a few years ago? I love it when the State creates problems and then blames it on someone else down the road.

Needing Democratic support, Texas' secretary of state faces a rocky path to confirmation

Hah. HAHA. HAHAHAHAHAH. Man, Abbott really rolled over Whitley in this one. I wonder what Abbott promised Whitley in return? "You're gonna look like shit for a few months, and let's pray to god that you get confirmed (Seriously - has the SoS ever been anything but a rubber stamp.. before this incident?). What a cluster fuck these two have created.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

The proposed 2.5% property tax cap... does this mean every property's tax bill will be limited to a total max increase of 2.5% per year? Basically massively undercutting homestead exemption type thing?

That's my understanding.

Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Nathan Hecht calls for nonpartisan judicial elections, bail reform 

In the wake of a midterm election that saw four major state appeals courts flip on partisan lines, Hecht called on lawmakers to consider changing Texas to a system of merit selection and retention elections.

^So now that Dems are getting the votes, electing judges is a bad thing. (Of course, it is but waiting to change the rules of the game after you start losing is a bad look.

The proposed 2.5% property tax cap... does this mean every property's tax bill will be limited to a total max increase of 2.5% per year? Basically massively undercutting homestead exemption type thing?

It’s a cap on revenues, not rates or appraisals. So if the total county/city/ISD property base increases more than 2.5% in value in a year (whether through new development or just appreciation), they would have to cut tax rates.

^So now that Dems are getting the votes, electing judges is a bad thing. (Of course, it is but waiting to change the rules of the game after you start losing is a bad look.

Chief Justices Phillips and Jefferson also spoke out against partisan judicial elections over the last 25-30 years.

3 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Chief Justices Phillips and Jefferson also spoke out against partisan judicial elections over the last 25-30 years.

Yep.  But it got ZERO traction till the GOP started losing.  The GOP seems intent on cementing itself as the party of anti-democracy.  Don't see why this issue should be an outlier for them.

Yep.  But it got ZERO traction till the GOP started losing.  The GOP seems intent on cementing itself as the party of anti-democracy.  Don't see why this issue should be an outlier for them.

I would prefer appointed judges but not when it’s the opportune moment for the party that’s not for the people. Right or left I don’t care, I want a judiciary that stands with David not Goliath.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190211/texas-republicans-to-propose-tapping-rainy-day-fund-for-border-wall

As President Donald Trump brought his campaign for border wall funding to El Paso Monday, two state lawmakers suggested spending $2.5 billion from the state’s rainy day fund to help pay for the wall.

“The bottom line is that Congress has failed to act,” Rep. Briscoe Cain, R-Deer Park, told the American-Statesman, referring to the ongoing impasse over wall funding. “It’s now time Texas acts.”

Cain and Rep. Kyle Biedermann, R-Fredericksburg, members of the conservative Texas Freedom Caucus, are drafting the proposal.

Angela Paxton's judgement became questionable the moment she looked into one of Ken Paxton's eyes, possibly the one that wildly juts to his left or maybe the other one that looks forward, and accepted his hand in a googly-eyed union of vainglorious lunacy and criminality. 

• Like 5

On 2/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, Message Board User said:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190211/texas-republicans-to-propose-tapping-rainy-day-fund-for-border-wall

As President Donald Trump brought his campaign for border wall funding to El Paso Monday, two state lawmakers suggested spending $2.5 billion from the state’s rainy day fund to help pay for the wall.

“The bottom line is that Congress has failed to act,” Rep. Briscoe Cain, R-Deer Park, told the American-Statesman, referring to the ongoing impasse over wall funding. “It’s now time Texas acts.”

Cain and Rep. Kyle Biedermann, R-Fredericksburg, members of the conservative Texas Freedom Caucus, are drafting the proposal.

nothing says freedom like taking people's land at gunpoint

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Texas House committee approved a marijuana decriminalization bill on Monday that would make simple possession punishable by a fine, with no jail time, and without having to go on an individual’s criminal record.

The legislation passed in a 5-2 vote out of the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee and now heads to a separate panel responsible for placing bills on the calendar for floor debates.

Possession of one ounce or less of cannabis would be punished with a $250 fine for the first two offenses. After that, possession would be considered a class C misdemeanor, which is still a lesser penalty compared to current law. As it stands, possession of two ounces or less is a class B misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and up to 180 days in jail as well as a permanent criminal record, which carries steep collateral consequences.

While medical cannabis expansion, to say nothing of adult-use legalization, remains a dubious prospect in the conservative stronghold, removing the threat of jail time for possession has gained popularity among Texas Republicans. Delegates for the Republican Party of Texas adopted a platform plank last year that endorses marijuana decriminalization, for example.

“We support a change in the law to make it a civil, and not a criminal, offense for legal adults only to possess one ounce or less of marijuana for personal use, punishable by a fine of up to $100, but without jail time,” the plank states.

What’s more, the policy has even received a tentative green light from Gov. Greg Abbott (R), who has said he is open to legislation that would reduce penalties for simple possession.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, RPM said:

A Texas House committee approved a marijuana decriminalization bill on Monday that would make simple possession punishable by a fine, with no jail time, and without having to go on an individual’s criminal record.

The legislation passed in a 5-2 vote out of the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee and now heads to a separate panel responsible for placing bills on the calendar for floor debates.

Possession of one ounce or less of cannabis would be punished with a $250 fine for the first two offenses. After that, possession would be considered a class C misdemeanor, which is still a lesser penalty compared to current law. As it stands, possession of two ounces or less is a class B misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and up to 180 days in jail as well as a permanent criminal record, which carries steep collateral consequences.

While medical cannabis expansion, to say nothing of adult-use legalization, remains a dubious prospect in the conservative stronghold, removing the threat of jail time for possession has gained popularity among Texas Republicans. Delegates for the Republican Party of Texas adopted a platform plank last year that endorses marijuana decriminalization, for example.

“We support a change in the law to make it a civil, and not a criminal, offense for legal adults only to possess one ounce or less of marijuana for personal use, punishable by a fine of up to $100, but without jail time,” the plank states.

What’s more, the policy has even received a tentative green light from Gov. Greg Abbott (R), who has said he is open to legislation that would reduce penalties for simple possession.

That would be a nice start, but I’m sure they will fuck it up somehow and not even debate it.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Red meat for Republicans in Texas. My relatives and old high school classmates/friends up in east Texas near Tyler for the most part are not Jesus freaks but they do vote Republican and their top issue is abortion. 

I bet this is ironic for more than a few of them.

This Republican Texas lawmaker halted a bill to outlaw abortion. He faces security concerns now, says sheriff.

The concerns come after Leach released a statement on Twitter Wednesday saying House Bill 896 would not leave the House Committee on Judiciary and Civil Jurisprudence that he chairs. The bill from state Rep. Tony Tinderholt, R-Arlington, criminalizes abortion and opens up the possibility of prosecutors charging a woman who has an abortion with criminal homicide, which can be punishable by the death penalty under current Texas law.

In his statement on the bill, Leach said the bill moves "our state and the pro-life cause in the wrong direction."

“My commitment to advancing the pro-life cause is stronger than ever and that’s why I cannot in good conscience support House Bill 896 – legislation that subjects women who undergo abortions to criminal liability and even the possibility of the death penalty,” Leach said.

Also, at least Tinderholt is consistent:

"Some think we should exempt mothers, but that would inherently treat unborn children differently than other people who are murdered," Tinderholt said.

Compassionate conservatism at work.

Also - bill is only created to collect money for Tinderholt and stir up the masses. I don't believe it would ever get past the Supreme Court, even as it's current formed.

I don't think we ever saw this regard covered here.

With lack of movement on “constitutional carry” bill, gun rights advocate visits homes of House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, other members

Gun nut (literally named McNutt) wasn't pleased with movement on a constitutional carry bill.

Gun nut visits Speaker of the House's... house. Speaker wasn't home but son was and so were troopers, already concerned about the McNutt.

Gun nut really earned the support of the speaker:

“The fear and intimidation used to push this agenda have made it clear this is bad public policy,” Bonnen said in a Facebook post. “These gutless intimidation tactics only embolden me to continue strengthening the rights of law abiding gun owners and keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.”

Oops. Regard. Way to move the conservation forward.

Further reading. Uhm, yea. A few days later, the two were seated near each other at a fundraiser:

As the dinner was getting underway, Bonnen said he walked up to McNutt, tapped him on the shoulder and shook his hand.

"'Hi, I'm Dennis Bonnen,' I said," the speaker recalled. "'You should never go to my residence or any member of the Legislature's residence when you know they're in Austin doing their job. I want you to tell me you're never gonna do that again.'"

I have to agree. You crossed a line going near his house. You knew he wasn't there. What were you looking to accomplish?

And then this happened:

an unidentified man seated next to McNutt handed the speaker a Kool Aid packet. Bonnen said he tossed the packet on the table, prompting the man to stand up and threaten a "physical altercation." The man, Bonnen said, "kinda got in my face and said you should just leave."

These guys really aren't helping their case.

Edited by relapse98

16 hours ago, Big D said:

HB63 has been added to the Calendar for Thursday.

Marijuana decriminalization will be debated and voted on by the Texas House of Representatives.

Even if it passes ( I hope it does)

potty patrick will kill it in the senate.  That guy is worthless and needs to be shot.

• Like 1

Thank God someone from Maryland knows what's best for Texas. Ya know, if you think about it most of the bs politicians we have are carpetbaggers. They see an easy to manipulate electorate and gaslight the shit out of us.