10/7 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #9

The Tower

31 minutes ago, elfenix said:
10 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:
To me, this doesn’t quite feel like a Top 10 team. Might by season’s end, but not yet. I see us more as Top 15-ish. Hey, we’re a handful of plays away from having three losses. Thankfully, we’re 5-1 instead.
It’s evidently a year in which a bunch of decent teams will take turns “upsetting” each other. In that scenario, I expect voters to ultimately end up with an even more SEC-bloated Top 25 than usual. Nauseating thought...but absent a reason to think otherwise, they’ll default to what they’ve been brainwashed into feeling is the one universal truth.

Read more  

Problem I've always run into with "doesn't feel like a top 10 team" is that I usually can't find 10 teams that do

Absolutely. Our resume is better than any other team with a loss. 

I'm confused as to why you guys are arguing any of this.  Any true college football fan knows that past the top 5 teams, the rankings are a crap shoot.  And the top 5 rankings are a crapshoot until you get a good few weeks into the season.  Alabama deserves to be #1.  The rest of the Top 5 is basically interchangeable.  Everyone past that is just slapped in there somewhere because we have to have a weekly Top 25. 

It's alabamas world and were living in it. 

A 34 pt road win actually hurt their sagarin predictor score. They were an an outrageous 106 a week or 2 ago..but since arkansas scored 2 4th qtr tds to keep it at 34 instead of in the 40s...bama is back at 102. Still almost TD favorites over OSU. But im taking bama. I

Theyre impossible to beat unless tua goes down. This is probably the best football team of ever

And how convenient...they get a bye week before their last "challenge " left, at Lsu

9 hours ago, Treefidy said:

2020.  UGA and Bama play, they trade games and ESECN has a party over the 3rd game in a season.  

Not sure how their cross division games work, but looking forward Bama has added Tennessee as a cross division game for the next 7 years and they will only play UGA once in the foreseeable future in conference.  

Go figure, a conference that games the game, chooses their bowl matchups, lightens the load with 8 games, artificially inflates the deadbeats in the middle of the pack to secure SOS, and tinkers with cross conference matchups so the best teams don't have to face one another until the CCG. 

Meanwhile we decided a round robin isn't good enough, we have to make sure our best 2 teams face each other twice.  This conference sucks.

I saw something a few years ago that showed an SEC team that had been in the league for 70 or 80 years and only played another team about 40 times.  This was before they split into divisions. 

10 hours ago, Treefidy said:

2020.  UGA and Bama play, they trade games and ESECN has a party over the 3rd game in a season.  

Not sure how their cross division games work, but looking forward Bama has added Tennessee as a cross division game for the next 7 years and they will only play UGA once in the foreseeable future in conference.  

Go figure, a conference that games the game, chooses their bowl matchups, lightens the load with 8 games, artificially inflates the deadbeats in the middle of the pack to secure SOS, and tinkers with cross conference matchups so the best teams don't have to face one another until the CCG. 

Meanwhile we decided a round robin isn't good enough, we have to make sure our best 2 teams face each other twice.  This conference sucks.

Didn't they vote to have permanent cross-division games stay in place that were voted on/considered historical rivalries?  Like Bama-Tenn, Auburn-UGA, Arky-Mizzou, etc.?  Then they rotate the rest of the cross division opponents.

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Didn't they vote to have permanent cross-division games stay in place that were voted on/considered historical rivalries?  Like Bama-Tenn, Auburn-UGA, Arky-Mizzou, etc.?  Then they rotate the rest of the cross division opponents.

Precisely.

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Absolutely. Our resume is better than any other team with a loss. 

LSU would like a word. Though I will concede that the Auburn win doesn't look any better than our USC win at this point. Their loss is a lot less embarrassing/questionable.

It certainly goes against the grain to question Bama on anything, but.....this season they played:

Louisville, Arky State, Ole Miss, La Lafayette, aggy, piggy.

Yes they will play LSU and they will play Citadel.

What sort of killer SOS is this?

Not any serious test thus far . 

What happens against a real team.

I want to know before I anoint them champions of anything.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

LSU would like a word. Though I will concede that the Auburn win doesn't look any better than Lour USC win at this point. Their loss is a lot less embarrassing/questionable.

LSU and AU would like a word.  With due respect to the other UT, locked into playing UF/UGA every year is the shorter stick.   Surely Bama is working hard on their OOC to make up the difference. 

2 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

LSU and AU would like a word.  With due respect to the other UT, locked into playing UF/UGA every year is the shorter stick.   Surely Bama is working hard on their OOC to make up the difference. 

Auburn does not have a better resume than Texas. Maybe they will at the end of the year, but their future schedule is not relevant. My post was made to point out that LSU losing at Florida is a lot more forgivable than Texas losing to Maryland at a "neutral" site. I really don't understand what you are trying to get at?

18 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Auburn does not have a better resume than Texas. Maybe they will at the end of the year, but their future schedule is not relevant. My post was made to point out that LSU losing at Florida is a lot more forgivable than Texas losing to Maryland at a "neutral" site. I really don't understand what you are trying to get at?

Mostly trollin the SEC schedules.  But at this time LSU is quite close to Texas.  Beating OU, TCU I slightly better than AU, Miami but only slightly.  LSU has the more forgivable loss yes. 

That being said, it's hard to deny the eventual winner of the SECw will have the best quality wins in all of CFB; even if/when their body bag games are the worst wins in all of CFB.

It's alabamas world and were living in it. A 34 pt road win actually hurt their sagarin predictor score. They were an an outrageous 106 a week or 2 ago..but since arkansas scored 2 4th qtr tds to keep it at 34 instead of in the 40s...bama is back at 102. Still almost TD favorites over OSU. But im taking bama. I
Theyre impossible to beat unless tua goes down. This is probably the best football team of ever

And how convenient...they get a bye week before their last "challenge " left, at Lsu

Seems we hear Bama is the best team every quite a bit this decade. Don't know how have times I've seen people actually debate if they could beat an NFL team over the years.

I'm waiting to see Bama actually play someone worth a damn.

20 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Auburn and LSU seem to have "better" losses than Texas.  They certainly don't have better wins.  AU's signature win is Washington and UDub is struggling to beat the dregs of the Pac12 while facing no other ranked team.  LSU has only beaten Miami and Auburn of note.  I'll gladly put OU, TCU and USC up against that.  Add in the fact that the Maryland loss was early and fading fast in relevance and I think Texas can state a very good case for being best 1-loss team TODAY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Mostly trollin the SEC schedules.  But at this time LSU is quite close to Texas.  Beating OU, TCU I slightly better than AU, Miami but only slightly.  LSU has the more forgivable loss yes. 

That being said, it's hard to deny the eventual winner of the SECw will have the best quality wins in all of CFB; even if/when their body bag games are the worst wins in all of CFB.

I don't agree with that sentiment.  We know Bama is good, but who else is good in that division?  LSU is probably pretty good, barn, aggy, MSU appear to be ok to somewhat good.  How would the teams not named Bama fare against UT, OU, WVU, TCU?  Or tOSU, pedo, Michigan, whoever. 

we all know about the artificial ranking fuckery, and the scheduling an extra bye game because the conference slate is so hard, and how that brawndo/electrolytes argument works. But that conference as a whole is Bama and the 12 dwarves + UGA,   Start playing more OOC games or expand the playoffs, either way to upgrade the metrics to judge team/conference/schedule quality.  

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I don't agree with that sentiment.  We know Bama is good, but who else is good in that division?  LSU is probably pretty good, barn, aggy, MSU appear to be ok to somewhat good.  How would the teams not named Bama fare against UT, OU, WVU, TCU?  Or tOSU, pedo, Michigan, whoever. 

we all know about the artificial ranking fuckery, and the scheduling an extra bye game because the conference slate is so hard, and how that brawndo/electrolytes argument works. But that conference as a whole is Bama and the 12 dwarves + UGA,   Start playing more OOC games or expand the playoffs, either way to upgrade the metrics to judge team/conference/schedule quality.  

With the SEC it's the One&Done OOC game followed by a school you've never heard of.  They rarely have to get up for more than one quality September opponent.  That being said, UW and Miami are @#2 in their respective conferences and the SEC's 3rd and 4th teams beat them. 

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

With the SEC it's the One&Done OOC game followed by a school you've never heard of.  They rarely have to get up for more than one quality September opponent.  That being said, UW and Miami are @#2 in their respective conferences and the SEC's 3rd and 4th teams beat them. 

I get that, the PAC is pretty much garbage even though I think WSU is pretty good considering their talent deficiencies. ACC has been Clemson and the gang for a while, and Miami has Richt who will get your team to 10 wins consistently but no further.  

Mainly talking about B12 and B1G as credible contrasts to the SEC hype machine.  Oh, and domer of late.  

I'm not real worried about UW.  Their schedule so far has been very weak.  They lost to one of the only 2 teams with winning records.  They were locked in a 1 score game with 0-5 UCLA right to the end.  Their best win at this point is probably @ 3-2 Utah.  The Huskies' schedule from here gets much tougher.  They are at Oregon, then CU, at Cal, Stanford, at OSU, at WSU.  If UW doesn't turn it up a couple of notches there are 2 losses in that schedule.

I’m not sure how we don’t lose at least one more with road games at Tech and Ok St. + WV. we have had one game now where our O won in a shootout, I’m not sure we can win 3  

I really hoped we turned a corner, but we upset them. I wouldn’t be shocked if we ran the table or lost 3. Now the expectations have been raised and it seems most now expect THIS offense to repeat the OU performance and not the others. 

8 wins won’t cut it now that you’ve had a glimpse at the ceiling 

This is a hell of a lot more fun than the thoughts after Maryland (ie when does basketball start)

Texas has faced 3 ranked opponents and scored a minimum of 31 points in those games.  And the 31 was against TCU.  Does anyone see a defense as good as TCU's or even close left on the schedule?  This Longhorn squad can score.  I worry about a slip up against Tech or OkSt but not about the fundamental ability of Texas to put up points.  WVU can beat the Horns' B game so our guys will have to play up to their ability to assure a win there.  Thank God it's in Austin this year.

21 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Texas has faced 3 ranked opponents and scored a minimum of 31 points in those games.  And the 31 was against TCU.  Does anyone see a defense as good as TCU's or even close left on the schedule?  This Longhorn squad can score.  I worry about a slip up against Tech or OkSt but not about the fundamental ability of Texas to put up points.  WVU can beat the Horns' B game so our guys will have to play up to their ability to assure a win there.  Thank God it's in Austin this year.

Agreed. The WVU game being in Austin is the best thing - especially with Grier probably looking for payback for his finger from last year. 

35 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I’m not sure how we don’t lose at least one more with road games at Tech and Ok St. + WV. we have had one game now where our O won in a shootout, I’m not sure we can win 3  

I really hoped we turned a corner, but we upset them. I wouldn’t be shocked if we ran the table or lost 3. Now the expectations have been raised and it seems most now expect THIS offense to repeat the OU performance and not the others. 

8 wins won’t cut it now that you’ve had a glimpse at the ceiling 

This is a hell of a lot more fun than the thoughts after Maryland (ie when does basketball start)

The fact that all three of those teams lack a mobile QB make them much better matchups for us. None of them should put up 30 or more points against us.

22 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Worries more about the opponent scoring 40 than us scoring 30

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Worries more about the opponent scoring 40 than us scoring 30

Only OU got to 40 and they needed a complete letdown by our defense to do it.  Of the remaining opponents only Tech has the scoring potential on paper.  But the Raiders are far less explosive than OU.  They have been able to sustain drives against bad defenses.  Texas tends to give up a few big plays but snuff out drives.  WVU barely averages 40 PPG.  The Longhorns are much better than the average defense that stat was compiled against.

I understand the skepticism and outright disbelief at where we are today.  A decade of disappointment and wandering in the wilderness has left us all gun shy about believing that Texas could be one of the top teams in the country again.  I am almost pathologically analytical but I feel the same nagging doubt.  Fortunately the data says that Texas is a damn good team so I have to believe it until we have evidence to the contrary.

• Like 2

I like it that we are starting to show that we can close out a game and win, though we still question consistency. 

I will love it when we start stepping on people's throats, don't play down to our opponents and take whole quarters off.  

The second half of this season will tell us a lot about this staff, we only have 1 team left on the schedule who should have a chance against this

team we have seen these past few weeks. 

WVU is fully capable of shredding this defense. Put down the kool aid if you think otherwise. This pass defense has been exploited by worse units.

I am not really worried about Tech beyond it being a candidate for the head scratching loss that many, myself included, have a gut feeling is left in store for this team. Tech is the same team they always are. If we show up focused we win comfortably; remember that it took monumental fuck ups on the part of the coaching staff and two boneheaded Ehlinger Q4 turnovers for a decidedly worse Texas team to lose that game last year. Beyond a similar meltdown Texas is better than Tech, period.

Okie State is just a wildcard. If they bring their A game they can definitely beat Texas but Stillwater seems like a mess this year. I feel like we win in a blowout or lose, no grey area.

Capable and likely are two different things.  The only semi-decent defense WVU has seen is K-State, who gave up 35 pts on 13 possessions.  WVU scored 40 against Kansas and 42 against Tech.  To me they look like a good offense but not exactly terrifying.  Grier is a very good QB but he's also thrown 6 picks in 3 conference games.  The Mountaineers are dangerous because they combine a strong offense with an above average defense.  That's something none of the other leading conference opponents have.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:53 PM, El Squared said:

It certainly goes against the grain to question Bama on anything, but.....this season they played:

Louisville, Arky State, Ole Miss, La Lafayette, aggy, piggy.

Yes they will play LSU and they will play Citadel.

What sort of killer SOS is this?

Not any serious test thus far . 

What happens against a real team.

I want to know before I anoint them champions of anything.

Beating the absolute dogshit against everyone on your schedule tends to "skew" the rankings in your favor. I mean their schedule is pretty soft but they've played 4 P5 teams. Ole Miss is 4-2 and beat Tech. Aggy is ranked (unfortunately).

So we jump Washington and Penn State for sure. 

Question is does Georgia drop below us from #2 and does LSU leap frog us from #13. It better not be a situation where both are in front of us. 

I hope (doubt) all the voters realize we played with our starting QB for most of the game. 

Edited by Bruh Man

So we jump Washington and Penn State for sure. 
Question is does Georgia drop below us from #2 and does LSU leap frog us from #13. It better not be a situation where both are in front of us. 
I hope (doubt) all the voters realize we played with our starting QB for most of the game. 

LSU probably does belong in front. They have beaten 2 ranked teams(2,16) and lost to #14.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Today was ugly. I’m not even concerned about ranking at this point because I’m not sure the team can consistently play to the current ranking.

ND struggled against Pitt at home today. Clemson barely beat Syracuse at home a few weeks ago. UCF squeaked out a victory today. This shit happens to every one. I wish we scored a touchdown on our second to last drive to make the scoreline better for voters who don't pay attention to things like a 2nd string QB playing nearly all game but overall I'm pleased. 

2 minutes ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

Don’t care, just win football games.

Exactly. Once Sam went down, the goal for the day became survival.

We aren’t winning the playoff with or without Sam this year. We just need to win the conference. Rankings don’t matter much for us beyond respect this season. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

ND struggled against Pitt at home today. Clemson barely beat Syracuse at home a few weeks ago. UCF squeaked out a victory today. This shit happens to every one. I wish we scored a touchdown on our second to last drive to make the scoreline better for voters who don't pay attention to things like a 2nd string QB playing nearly all game but overall I'm pleased. 

You're saying winning is hard?