10/7 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #9

The Tower

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, JBJ said:
It's too high, but we're also the only ranked team with a good schedule to point at (maybe ND as well).
All these teams that look infalliable are going to become much more falliable as they hit the teeth of their schedules.

Again, if it's too high, tell me who ranked behind us should we fall behind?

For me, it's more about psychology. I'd prefer that getting into the top ten still be a goal. I don't want the team getting a big head, that's all. I think Herman is keenly aware of that possibility and will stay on top of it; it's probably just my Lucy with the football syndrome.

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

We’ve lost the last 3 years.

2 of those losses were Charlie losses, one of which was bullshit, and all 3 were matchups with osu being ranked and Texas not. We could have beat them last year.

Historically, when Texas is ranked, we fucking own them. We won 12 straight from 99-10.

45 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
3 hours ago, XOVERX said:
I like the #9 slot halfway through.  Texas is in a very good position.
We're home with Baylor coming in and let's beat them.
There's no way this club runs the table in the regular season, but if they do ....
If they do ....

Club?

Just a figure of speech, lol. Although I hope we club the dog out of Baylor. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I said it in the ranked thread last week. Revised a bit this week.

If Texas wins out and covers all spreads they are in playoff. Top 5 for rest of season if they beat WV and stay undefeated going into CCG.

What an exciting time! Fuck OU. 

Herman has expressed his interest in scoring one more point than the other team and a W counts the same no matter who its against and how many points you win by lol

12 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Herman has expressed his interest in scoring one more point than the other team and a W counts the same no matter who its against and how many points you win by lol

W is a W, but not when it's still partly a beauty contest. One day we will have a real playoff where winning CCG in a conference gets you in. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Scoring margin is silly considering we haven't run up the score all year. Wins are wins - especially against our slate. 

We have also played very good defensive teams. Most teams went in dry on two or three cupcakes before playing a real game, many still havent played a ranked opponent.

9 feels high because "top ten team" is not what enters your mind when watching this team, but there also aren't really any teams that jump out at me as being definitively better below that. Obviously plenty below that are capable of winning a hypothetical matchup but I'm not sure there is any team I would be confident in betting money on vs Texas if I had to. Should probably not be ahead of UCF but that is it really. I think the 8-17 group are almost interchangeable. I don't think 14 in the coaches poll is unreasonable either but GTFO with OU being ranked higher.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

For me, it's more about psychology. I'd prefer that getting into the top ten still be a goal. I don't want the team getting a big head, that's all. I think Herman is keenly aware of that possibility and will stay on top of it; it's probably just my Lucy with the football syndrome.

Tom Herman’s teams are notorious for losing to teams that they should beat.  I share your wariness.

6 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I've seen this several times on the board.   Tcu and usc  are not ranked  anymore.  They are still solid wins,  but not the big wins we thought they were at the time. Just being realistic here.  

That's the funny thing about polls, beat a team and they drop.  Anyone really think a 1 loss USC or TCU is not ranked at this point in the season?   And TCUs losses are to #3 and #9.  I think USC also lost to 2 pretty good teams

Top 10 sounds right if you put the talent into perspective.  The following guys are probably all under consideration for All Big 12 1st or 2nd team at the moment

Ehlinger, Anderson, Johnson, Humphrey, Nelson, Johnson, Sterns, Jones, Boyd, maybe Omenihu

And then we have guys who aren't at that level but are playing really well:  Ingram, Beck, Cosmi, Davis, Wheeler, McCulloch.

It's a pretty talented team.  I have a feeling Ingram is about to start stacking up 100 yard games against the weak defenses we're about to face.

Before the season started we were saying that a 9 or 10 win season would be unbelievable.  Most said that 8 wins was the max. After the Maryland loss, most thought 7-8 wins at best.  Now y’all are talking about making the playoffs?  Playoffs?  Playoffs! Y’all want to talk about playoffs.

Just win. Every week 1-0. Baylor next. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Chairman said:

A lot of lulz in this thread. Let's pump the breaks and focus on beating Baylor. One game at a time, people! Let's not put ourselves in the playoff just yet.

Yeah. We still have seven possible games left before we worry about that.

And frankly I don't think we are ready for primetime. Are we ready to lock horns with Ohio State or Alabama? I don't think so.

2 minutes ago, Jester’s Inn said:

Before the season started we were saying that a 9 or 10 win season would be unbelievable.  Most said that 8 wins was the max. After the Maryland loss, most thought 7-8 wins at best.  Now y’all are talking about making the playoffs?  Playoffs?  Playoffs! Y’all want to talk about playoffs.

I was one of a handful of "show me a loss" people. Mostly did it as a joke, but totally thought we were good enough to win 10 or 11.

A lot of lulz in this thread. Let's pump the breaks and focus on beating Baylor. One game at a time, people! Let's not put ourselves in the playoff just yet.
I'll make a deal with you, I'll pump it and get to work on the Rapelor game plan..

You look up your 3rd grade spelling teacher and apologize for sleeping in class, passing love notes to that cute blonde who's now 250 lbs with 6 kids etc..

It's been too long, I have no problem savoring being back in the top 10.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Or the east. East team may get to play them 3 times if they beat them one of the first 2. 

2020.  UGA and Bama play, they trade games and ESECN has a party over the 3rd game in a season.  

Not sure how their cross division games work, but looking forward Bama has added Tennessee as a cross division game for the next 7 years and they will only play UGA once in the foreseeable future in conference.  

Go figure, a conference that games the game, chooses their bowl matchups, lightens the load with 8 games, artificially inflates the deadbeats in the middle of the pack to secure SOS, and tinkers with cross conference matchups so the best teams don't have to face one another until the CCG. 

Meanwhile we decided a round robin isn't good enough, we have to make sure our best 2 teams face each other twice.  This conference sucks.

I only really started paying attention to S&P+ this year and it seems like it sucks to me. It's got two-loss Okie St, Tceh, Sparty, fuckin' Memphis, the Murder Smurfs, and fucking TCU and USC ahead of us.

Somehow we fell 8 spots after beating OU, and their ranking stayed the same. So with one loss, we are ranked below three teams we've beaten and 12 two-loss teams. 

Does this system come together better towards the end of the year? 'Cause right now it seems pretty bogus, and I am a big fan of Connelly outside of this shit. 

6 hours ago, freyguy said:

The most impressive win ou has so far is against Iowa St.  My bet is Kyler quits on the team since his Heisman chances are toast, and they get stomped from here on out.

I was thinking the same thing.  His ego is the only thing that brought him back, he figured he could do what mayfield couldn't.  

In that pre-game interview he was asked where he thought he was in the conversation of Brees, mayfield, someone else maybe Foles who all played TxHS football.  He said he should be at the top because of state championships.   Hey, no doubt he is really fucking good, but Brees won state and has been in the NFL for years.  Mayfield won state and a heisman, #1 pick in the NFL and has 0-16 Cleveland winning some games.  

Now that he won't even make the playoffs I think he starts worrying about that baseball money. 

Groupthink on this site and in the media was that 9-10 was the expectation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

That's the funny thing about polls, beat a team and they drop.  Anyone really think a 1 loss USC or TCU is not ranked at this point in the season?   And TCUs losses are to #3 and #9.  I think USC also lost to 2 pretty good teams

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

2020.  UGA and Bama play, they trade games and ESECN has a party over the 3rd game in a season.  

Not sure how their cross division games work, but looking forward Bama has added Tennessee as a cross division game for the next 7 years and they will only play UGA once in the foreseeable future in conference.  

Go figure, a conference that games the game, chooses their bowl matchups, lightens the load with 8 games, artificially inflates the deadbeats in the middle of the pack to secure SOS, and tinkers with cross conference matchups so the best teams don't have to face one another until the CCG. 

Meanwhile we decided a round robin isn't good enough, we have to make sure our best 2 teams face each other twice.  This conference sucks.

It's so structured that no one will notice Arky's buy game against North Texas, or that the Hawgs are just under average in Bama's schedule. 

All this talk of playoffs just does not ring true. Remember how good those teams in the top 4 were for us. There are 4 teams on our schedule that will beat us if we have 2 really bad quarters instead of the 1 terrible quarter we seem to continue to have every game.

I will celebrate every win this year. Enjoy the improvement but until I see a full championship type game from this team I will only focus on the next game on our schedule.

What is championship type effort. The kind we saw in the 2000s. Team is running on full cylinders and the only measurement is can they out do themselves as they reach for the ultimate target and the team in front of them is no more then the recipient of their wrath.

For now destroy Baylor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Absolutely. With all three full seasons he’s been a HC. Notorious. 

Granted it's a small sample size, but SMU, Memphis, & Navy say HI!  Also Maryland, twice.

His wtf losses stood out more than anything before we hired him, and they're still kinda, a lil bit annoying.

I'm from Missouri on this one.  Show.  Me. The. Money.

I hope Herman does work hard to have players ignore these ridiculous SEC promo rankings.

Just  win baby -winning like losing can become habitual .

Keep grinding  out wins , ugly or not, like most of our drives in the ou  game.

Nothing else matters.....yet.

Edited by El Squared

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Granted it's a small sample size, but SMU, Memphis, & Navy say HI!  Also Maryland, twice.

His wtf losses stood out more than anything before we hired him, and they're still kinda, a lil bit annoying.

I'm from Missouri on this one.  Show.  Me. The. Money.

Yes, quite small sample size. Not enough to declare it a “thing,” not that something like that ever stops our fans from being adamant about “facts” they don’t really know. 

To me, this doesn’t quite feel like a Top 10 team. Might by season’s end, but not yet. I see us more as Top 15-ish. Hey, we’re a handful of plays away from having three losses. Thankfully, we’re 5-1 instead.
It’s evidently a year in which a bunch of decent teams will take turns “upsetting” each other. In that scenario, I expect voters to ultimately end up with an even more SEC-bloated Top 25 than usual. Nauseating thought...but absent a reason to think otherwise, they’ll default to what they’ve been brainwashed into feeling is the one universal truth.
Problem I've always run into with "doesn't feel like a top 10 team" is that I usually can't find 10 teams that do

I'm confused as to why you guys are arguing any of this.  Any true college football fan knows that past the top 5 teams, the rankings are a crap shoot.  And the top 5 rankings are a crapshoot until you get a good few weeks into the season. 

Alabama deserves to be #1.  The rest of the Top 5 is basically interchangeable.  Everyone past that is just slapped in there somewhere because we have to have a weekly Top 25.