10/7 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #9

The Tower

To me, this doesn’t quite feel like a Top 10 team. Might by season’s end, but not yet. I see us more as Top 15-ish. Hey, we’re a handful of plays away from having three losses. Thankfully, we’re 5-1 instead.

It’s evidently a year in which a bunch of decent teams will take turns “upsetting” each other. In that scenario, I expect voters to ultimately end up with an even more SEC-bloated Top 25 than usual. Nauseating thought...but absent a reason to think otherwise, they’ll default to what they’ve been brainwashed into feeling is the one universal truth.

Edited by Gut Wagon

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If they do, and win the conference, it will all depend on what others like bama, Georgia, notre dame, Washington, Ohio state do. 

And also Maryland. Them getting 5-6 wins would be huge in that scenario. 

I think a 12-1 Big 12 Champion Texas makes it in over the loser of the SEC Championship Game (Georgia or Ba... Georgia). We also have to hope for USC to beat Notre Dame or Washington, because I don't see Clemson and Ohio State losing.

Whoa, I thought 12ish would have been about right. I’d rather the team be a little bit under ranked and play with a chip on their shoulder. 

But maybe the rank has as much to do with us deserving it as it does with other teams proving they don’t deserve to be any higher 

Edited by Lhorn

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Whoa, I thought 12ish would have been about right. I’d rather the team be a little bit under ranked and play with a chip on their shoulder. 

But maybe the rank has as much to do with us deserving it as it does with other teams proving they don’t deserve to be any higher 

Mostly to do with ou being seen as a legitimate playoff team up until yesterday but I think their defense isn't near good enough for them to be seen that way. Voters are also pretty forgiving of first week fuck ups. They didn't even care that VT lost to 1-4 Old Dominion by 2 tds.

Edited by Surlybastard

11 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

AP #9 and Coaches #14

split the difference at 11/12 and that’s about right in my opinion.

but as I said in the other thread...Wisc/Mich play so the loser will fall behind us (and the winner might jump us in the AP) and LSU is likely to lose to UGA so they’d fall too, then we’d be sitting directly behind OU which is dumb so we’d jump them too assuming we beat baylor next week, then I’d bet we’re 11 in the coaches poll and 10 in the AP which feels right to me.

Frankly, we need for WVU to remain unbeaten until they travel to Austin, then beat a 1-loss WVU in the CCG.

If Texas wins out in a 2-loss WVU scenario, there would be enough other upsets to open the door.

But, of course, winning out seems ... unlikely.

Beat Baylor, rest up, and keep going, I guess, lol.

1 minute ago, XOVERX said:

Frankly, we need for WVU to remain unbeaten until they travel to Austin, then beat a 1-loss WVU in the CCG.

If Texas wins out in a 2-loss WVU scenario, there would be enough other upsets to open the door.

But, of course, winning out seems ... unlikely.

Beat Baylor, rest up, and keep going, I guess, lol.

A 1-loss OU in the CCG is just as appealing to voters.

I also think it's possible Notre Dame and Clemson lose a game.  If that happens, Texas doesn't need anyone else on the schedule to do anything.  Winning out would be enough.

19 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Nice to be ranked highly again.

But I just want to win the Big 12 before getting ahead of myself.  Win the conference and good things will follow.

Yep. We need to have winning the conference regularly as part of our metric for a successful coach. Win the conference and you get a chance at the playoffs. Win the conference somewhat regularly and you can get a serious playoff look even if you don't ultimately win the Big 12. 

4 minutes ago, fellside said:

A 1-loss OU in the CCG is just as appealing to voters.

I also think it's possible Notre Dame and Clemson lose a game.  If that happens, Texas doesn't need anyone else on the schedule to do anything.  Winning out would be enough.

Could be. Good points. I agree.

Win the conference somewhat regularly and you can get a serious playoff look even if you don't ultimately win the Big 12. 

Generally agree with you except for this. Our dumb conference set up forever prevents us from ever getting two teams into the CFP. Frankly, I’m fine with that.
Fuck travesty that Bama has two national titles in recent history where they couldn’t even win their conference. Pathetic actually.

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

To me, this doesn’t quite feel like a Top 10 team. Might by season’s end, but not yet. I see us more as Top 15-ish. Hey, we’re a handful of plays away from having three losses. Thankfully, we’re 5-1 instead.

It’s evidently a year in which a bunch of decent teams will take turns “upsetting” each other. In that scenario, I expect voters to ultimately end up with an even more SEC-bloated Top 25 than usual. Nauseating thought...but absent a reason to think otherwise, they’ll default to what they’ve been brainwashed into feeling is the one universal truth.

We’re also one Turnover away in the Maryland game (we had 3 in 4th q after rain delay, get anyone one of those back and we win that game most likely) from being 6-0. 

It is is what it is. We are what our record says we are. And we are 5-1. 

3 minutes ago, Cuernavaca said:

it's time for Tom to promise the team that he will get a big 12 Champions 2018 neck tattoo if we can pull this thing off.

dick tattoos is where it is at.  Mine says "Welcome to Jamaica Man Have a Nice Day"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtticusFinch said:

We will most likely need to beat West Virginia twice.   I don't see OU beating WV.

Doubtful. WVU looks very pedestrian. I don’t think we will have an issue with them, and I doubt OU does either. 

20 minutes ago, Xian said:

I think we can easily win the big 12. That said, im “worried” about making the playoff and running into the Bama buzz saw. 

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to make them....

Yeah I just had a long conversation about this but honestly I’d rather win the Big 12 and go to the playoffs than play in a meaningless Sugar bowl.  Other than Bama nobody looks unbeatable.

Just now, hornian said:

We’re also one Turnover away in the Maryland game (we had 3 in 4th q after rain delay, get anyone one of those back and we win that game most likely) from being 6-0. 

It is is what it is. We are what our record says we are. And we are 5-1. 

Sure, it cuts both ways. I’m probably just living in the past, when to be in the Top 10 halfway through the season meant you’d annihilated most of the opposition. We’re No. 36 in the nation in scoring margin (8 PPG), a stat that hopefully is about to improve.

Having beaten three teams that were ranked at the time, we certainly deserve a Top 20 ranking to this point. If we can finish in the Top 15, I’ll be satisfied after the way the season started. 

4 minutes ago, NowThis said:

only worried about the 2 remaining road games ISU and TT.  

Texas -16 vs. Baylor

An OU rematch seems inevitable, which i don't like. 

If you are not worried about West Virginia, you are not paying attention.  IMHO

10 minutes ago, NowThis said:

only worried about the 2 remaining road games ISU and TT.  

Texas -16 vs. Baylor

An OU rematch seems inevitable, which i don't like. 

OSU is on road and ISU at home. I’m really most concerned with OSU and Tech on road. Mild concern for WVU. I just don’t think they’re that good. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

OSU is on road and ISU at home. I’m really most concerned with OSU and Tech on road. Mild concern for WVU. I just don’t think they’re that good. 

then I'm only concerned wth the ghost of 2008 @ lubbutt.    The rest is cake, then the OU rematch which is going to be weird due to @ Jerryworld where no one ever wanted to see a TX OU game, but it's going to happen often over the next several years until the Bg12 adds 2 northern teams. 

There is nothing wrong with being overrated in CFB and never has been. Until we have a 16 or 32 team playoff you HAVE to play to the media. 

The fact that we are already in the top 10 with half the season to play bodes EXTREMELY well for any playoff dreams we may have. 

It pretty much tells us that a one-loss Texas team will be hard to keep out of the top 4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

The most impressive win ou has so far is against Iowa St.  My bet is Kyler quits on the team since his Heisman chances are toast, and they get stomped from here on out.

This. When he has nothing left to win that he considers important to him, such as a shot at the CFB playoffs, a heisman (who knows if he values a conference championship) we’ll see if he bails. That plus he will probably be getting some “advice” via his baseball contacts/agent. One more loss will probably do it.

Edited by Wishbone
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There is nothing wrong with being overrated in CFB and never has been. Until we have a 16 or 32 team playoff you HAVE to play to the media. 

The fact that we are already in the top 10 with half the season to play bodes EXTREMELY well for any playoff dreams we may have. 

It pretty much tells us that a one-loss Texas team will be hard to keep out of the top 4. 

Don’t even wanna think about the playoffs yet. That being said.... beating a top 5 WVU at home would go a long ways for our chances. Game day may be in Austin in 4 weeks if everyone takes care of business

6 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This. When he has nothing left to win that he considers important to him, such as a shot at the CFB playoffs, a heisman (who knows if he values a conference championship) we’ll see if he bails. That plus he will probably be getting some “advice” via his baseball contacts/agent. One more loss will probably do it.

He already played like a vagina against UT. I've never seen an OU QB look that afraid of contact. He makes Sam Bradford look like Cam Newton. 

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

OK St. TT. WV & ISU all are 50/50 games at this point. If the same offense shows up we can win them all. If they revert to our season norm,  anything from 2-2 to 4-0 seems entirely possible. 

That’s probably right but I wouldn’t put ISU in that category. 2-2 to 4-0 seems most likely. 

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

OK St. TT. WV & ISU all are 50/50 games at this point. If the same offense shows up we can win them all. If they revert to our season norm,  anything from 2-2 to 4-0 seems entirely possible. 

According to ESPN projections OSU and TT  are slight favorites.  And we are slight favorites against West Virginia.

We are heavy favorites against Baylor, ISU, and Kansas.

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

OK St. TT. WV & ISU all are 50/50 games at this point.

Do you mean ATS? We will be favored against all of those teams. 

Reminder that we fucking own Okie Lite and have WVU and ISU at home. I don't think this team loses a game at home. @Tech is the most worrisome of those 4 games imo, depending on how good WVU actually is. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How are some of y'all saying this is too high? Look at the teams right behind us and tell me who should be ahead of us? LSU and Florida are dogshit teams hyped by the SEC machine. We beat OU. What has Michigan done yet?

Agreed.  Look at the teams beneath us and ask yourself if you really think they would win against UT now.  I don't think they would, so #9 if just fine.  

Don't anyone tell the players about being in the top 10, though.

52 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

We’re No. 36 in the nation in scoring margin (8 PPG), a stat that hopefully is about to improve.

Scoring margin is silly considering we haven't run up the score all year. Wins are wins - especially against our slate. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do you mean ATS? We will be favored against all of those teams. 

Reminder that we fucking own Okie Lite and have WVU and ISU at home. I don't think this team loses a game at home. @Tech is the most worrisome of those 4 games imo, depending on how good WVU actually is. 

We’ve lost the last 3 years.