2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

To clear the skies along the centerline of the eclipse we could airburst a chain of high yield nukes at 10,000 feet or whatever, to burn off the cloud cover. Or just call the USAF and get them to use HAARP.

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

Even if it's cloudy, won't it be pitch black for 2 minutes? I mean, that's pretty wild.

How many bodies can Nicole dump in the lake in that two minutes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

To clear the skies along the centerline of the eclipse we could airburst a chain of high yield nukes at 10,000 feet or whatever, to burn off the cloud cover. Or just call the USAF and get them to use HAARP.

You're proposing we nuke an eclipse and then stare directly at it with no protection?  I mean, I know this is the DT thread, but come the fuck on dude...

• Haha 1

KVUE just now:

GFS model whatever the fuck that is: NO LUBE

Euro model: MASSIVE ENCHUBBENMENT 98% OF TEXAS FULL SHOW

42 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

University of AK owns the HAARP now

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Even if it's cloudy, won't it be pitch black for 2 minutes? I mean, that's pretty wild.

No, the clouds block the darkness as well.

It's all science man...

Step 1: place Daern's Instant Fortress inside a Bag of Holding

Step 2: jump inside the Bag of Holding

Step 3: activate Daern's Instant Fortress AND simultaneously cast Tiltowait

Outcome: rip space time and hope for the best

note: this is a one-way mission

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Is this some Leeroy Jenkins shit?

35 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Safety not guaranteed?

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this some Leeroy Jenkins shit?

I can’t tell if I’m just too dumb to understand his posts or if he’s Kareem in The Stand (original) warning everyone about the man with no face 

image.jpeg.27bbca9ac8a7e94db7732d1095f99ec4.jpeg

Taking my son to the Rangers/Astros game on Saturday the 6th.  Is it reasonable to assume I35 from DFW to Austin on Sunday is going to be an absolute trainwreck (more than it always is)?  Thinking I might shift gears and just fly up for the game.

36 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

the more you know.

saeclipse.jpg

I didn't realize the area was named San Antonio in 1397.  I'm sure the natives there will appreciate learning that.  Levity aside, overcast is almost a good thing because the totality will still darken the cloud-covered sky and keep dipshits from staring straight at it with no glasses.  That thing that 'the smartest' people do.  

19 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Seems like the forecast chances are not improving, especially for those who have made expensive or long-distance plans.

Stories about people booking multiple hotels/AirBnBs across the country to mitigate weather issues. I imagine Texas hotels and hosts are being hit when cancellations which is painful if they had customer-friendly cancellation rates. 

Shame that Texas is looking so poor across the board. You would have thought either south or north Texas would have been clear. I've planned to take off Monday from work to drive from Houston but doubtful I will do that now unless the weather offers better chances somewhere in Texas. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Stories about people booking multiple hotels/AirBnBs across the country to mitigate weather issues. I imagine Texas hotels and hosts are being hit when cancellations which is painful if they had customer-friendly cancellation rates. 

Shame that Texas is looking so poor across the board. You would have thought either south or north Texas would have been clear. I've planned to take off Monday from work to drive from Houston but doubtful I will do that now unless the weather offers better chances somewhere in Texas. 

Our boys keep trying to skip school and I keep telling them, "for what?"  

can't see season 2 GIF by Portlandia

So nearly every county in the Hill Country has announced they will be closing off one lane on every multiple-lane road to account for emergency vehicle access.  On top of that, we'll have precipitation and a bunch of drivers from out of town that don't know how to drive in the rain.  What could possibly go wrong as far as traffic is concerned?  I'll take Vampire Weekend show at Waterloo Greenway for $500, Alex.  Just not worth it.  But if they play "Dark Side of the Moon" as a cover, I'll freak the fuck out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So nearly every county in the Hill Country has announced they will be closing off one lane on every multiple-lane road to account for emergency vehicle access.  On top of that, we'll have precipitation and a bunch of drivers from out of town that don't know how to drive in the rain.  What could possibly go wrong as far as traffic is concerned?  I'll take Vampire Weekend show at Waterloo Greenway for $500, Alex.  Just not worth it.  But if they play "Dark Side of the Moon" as a cover, I'll freak the fuck out.  

where are you seeing this about lane closure? i'm not seeing anything from gillespie or kerr counties

https://kerrcountytx.gov/blog/county-plans-no-road-closures-related-to-april-8-eclipse-but-detours-likelly

NO road closures are planned for any road in Kerr County, other than in the immediate area of Louise Hays Park. TxDOT (the Texas Department of Transportation) will adjust Sidney Baker Street lanes to accommodate outbound traffic. The most traffic on area roads is anticipated during the day on Monday.

they are making it one way in / one way out for kerrville evidently

for gillespie all i'm seeing is folks saying the only road closures will be on 290 by stonewall where there is bridgework that can't be completed. TXDOT is pausing lane closures the day of the eclipse

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The Hill Country counties are all seriously overreacting to this and are going to make things worse.  Emergency Management strikes again.

as someone who has connections here, hard disagree.

they got 98k calls about the 55 camp sites at enchanted rock.

https://www.expressnews.com/hill-country/article/eclipse-tourism-traffic-fredericksburg-kerrville-18923223.php

Kerr County plans to station police officers, firefighters and emergency medical services staffers at four locations around the county, Thomas said.

In Gillespie County, where Fredericksburg is expecting a surge of tourists, mobile first aid stations will be assigned at six fire stations around the county, according to an information guide from the county. Boerne plans to deploy two roadside assistance vehicles within city limits, Shadrock said.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Still using it as an excuse to take the afternoon off and head up to my local beer house.

We're still camping all weekend at my BIL's property outside of F'burg, and we'll have plenty of beer and food.  My BIL has basically just turned it into a Family Reunion, but only invited the best ones-- we're gonna have a blast. Might not even realize whether there are clouds or not by Monday...  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

We were heading to Arkansas on Saturday, but have now changed course and heading to St. Louis.  We figure from there we can wait until Sunday evening to figure out if we are going to Illinois or Indiana, or if we are heading into southern Missouri.  Forecasts change, hopefully it will clear up for all you folks further south and west and for everyone else.  

32 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

We were heading to Arkansas on Saturday, but have now changed course and heading to St. Louis.  We figure from there we can wait until Sunday evening to figure out if we are going to Illinois or Indiana, or if we are heading into southern Missouri.  Forecasts change, hopefully it will clear up for all you folks further south and west and for everyone else.  

Lincoln State Park is where I saw the last one. Very nice place.

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Lincoln State Park is where I saw the last one. Very nice place.

I'm hoping we can see it in Western Illinois, because we are heading to Rushmore from there, but I will keep that in mind if we have to go further east (I think you are referring to the park in Indiana).  Thanks for the heads up, we might end up there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, kevwun said:

The cancellation policy for airbnbs is most definitely not customer friendly.  This late, you'll get just about nothing back and like it.

Depends on the site. Airbnb specifically is very friendly to guests, aka not friendly to hosts. Vrbo is more host friendly. Within 7 days you aren’t getting a refund on Vrbo.  In contrast, almost all hotels give the guest a refund within 24 hours in most instances, though it’s a totally different business model. 

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I'm hoping we can see it in Western Illinois, because we are heading to Rushmore from there, but I will keep that in mind if we have to go further east (I think you are referring to the park in Indiana).  Thanks for the heads up, we might end up there.  

Yep, north of Paducah. Where you can visit the Quilting Hall of fame. Made my kiddo go in there while I walked to the river to watch fucked up barges.

• Hook 'Em 1

If weather permits, I’m looking to go to Waco. Sounds like the small towns are freaking out and will most likely make the traffic problems worse.

of course I’m quickly losing faith that the weather will work out for most. I’m sure that some spots in Texas will get lucky with last second clear views which will be impossible to predict.

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This sucks.  Been waiting for the eclipse to come through here for years and it's going to be cloudy.  I blame aggy. 

I blame ou for sucking so hard the clouds are coming over from the Pacific side. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If weather permits, I’m looking to go to Waco. Sounds like the small towns are freaking out and will most likely make the traffic problems worse.

of course I’m quickly losing faith that the weather will work out for most. I’m sure that some spots in Texas will get lucky with last second clear views which will be impossible to predict.

I'm thinking the opposite on the bigger cities vs. some random rural road. It seems like people coming from further east will be going to bigger towns. I'm in Nacogdoches and have been planning on going almost due west to find a spot along 287 on the other side of Palestine. The path of totality looks to cross this area 10-15 miles west of Palestine on 287.

What's the consensus, a bigger city like Tyler where they have better infrastructure or a more rural place where there should be fewer people? My plan has been to find somewhere in the red circle that has a larger shoulder where we can turn around and be pointed back to home and safely watch from the side of the road. Will areas like this be all jammed up too?

eclipse.thumb.png.c5367e6cff5f878c6c88a2456f01cfab.png

map_texas_2024.thumb.png.ac82a223e4c6219683794c2382e78fe0.png

35 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I'm thinking the opposite on the bigger cities vs. some random rural road. It seems like people coming from further east will be going to bigger towns. I'm in Nacogdoches and have been planning on going almost due west to find a spot along 287 on the other side of Palestine. The path of totality looks to cross this area 10-15 miles west of Palestine on 287.

What's the consensus, a bigger city like Tyler where they have better infrastructure or a more rural place where there should be fewer people? My plan has been to find somewhere in the red circle that has a larger shoulder where we can turn around and be pointed back to home and safely watch from the side of the road. Will areas like this be all jammed up too?

eclipse.thumb.png.c5367e6cff5f878c6c88a2456f01cfab.png

map_texas_2024.thumb.png.ac82a223e4c6219683794c2382e78fe0.png

someone shared this in the thread before if it helps

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1lf1zQElZCKW8f0gTbY_b06wIfA4&hl=en_US&ll=38.4142379177235%2C-100.98326604439609&z=5

being turned around and pointed the right way (home) is going to be super important though

• Hook 'Em 1

2 updates:
a) I have decided to view the eclipse with friends who live just outside Indy, and the weather forecast has been iffy, but Monday is starting to look better (gawd I hope I'm not jinxing myself)

b) Mrs Fairway has gone high anxiety, near panic, mode for this event. She says the Indy had declared public emergency, schools are closing, she read that there are estimates of over 1 million, food and gas shortages due to influx of people. AND to top all of that she decided to test the eclipse glasses that we have and now she thinks they might all be fakes and not safe for the viewing. She says that when she tried them on last night that the lights in the room were still (very dimly) visible, so next she tested them with her cell phone flashlight and again dim light was visible. 

So I looked (sources linked below) and a small amount of light should be visible with a phone light and a bright bulb (unless it is frosted or in a shaded fixture - which they were not).  And Indianapolis has a population of about 900,000, so a million isn't that many people coming in & it is a, like us, I think many people will not go into the city but rather view in an outlying area. Then she got mad when I said if it seemed like a bad decision to go and she was too worried that we could just drop the trip (which I will fess up, I was bluffing/lying) which made her rethink her overreaction.

https://www.cnet.com/health/personal-care/are-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-safe-to-use-or-fake-heres-how-to-find-out/

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/how-to-tell-if-viewers-are-safe

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/safety/

Fuck it/Floor it - I'm all in on this bitch (and she better not be a just a tease....looking at you Mother Nature and the weather)