2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’d go with Steph because he normally adds a degree of difficulty that no one else can.

Obviously, I'm not going to argue you on Steph's lightshows, but he's almost made the impossible and absurd normal at this point. He ran out of celebrations years ago.

I guess the rarity of Klay's performances makes them really stand out. I have a soft spot for when his goofy ass can't stay stoic any longer, and he starts fist pumping like a dork. Watching two of the greatest shooters to ever live defer to him as they geek themselves out in disbelief at what's transpiring is just icing on the cake.

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Obviously, I'm not going to argue you on Steph's lightshows, but he's almost made the impossible and absurd normal at this point. He ran out of celebrations years ago.

I guess the rarity of Klay's performances makes them really stand out. I have a soft spot for when his goofy ass can't stay stoic any longer, and he starts fist pumping like a dork. Watching two of the greatest shooters to ever live defer to him as they geek themselves out in disbelief at what's transpiring is just icing on the cake.

I’m waiting for Steph to get hot and just start pulling up from half court.  35 ft seems to be about as far out as he is willing to go right now.  It’s fun watching anyone when they are that dialed on.  I still remember watching Sleepy Floyd bust out his flamethrower on the Showtime Lakers back in the 80’s.

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Not that any of this is terrible surprising 

LeBron + a bunch of mostly scrubs in the East = Finals' lock

LeBron + a bunch of mostly scrubs in the West = good luck making the playoffs

He just figures signing with the Lakers and an early exit gives more time for shooting a few fims...

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I watched a little of Dinosaurs vs Sixers last night.  It was @ Tor but damn, Raptors beat the shit out of the them.  No doubt Toronto is top 2 in the East right now.  Their defense is extremely good.  I wonder if they make it to the EC Championship, if Leonard stays on.

thats cuz Kawhi Leonard was pulling one of these trying to force a trade

tenor.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Good Lord, agg.  Show us on the doll where John Wall touched you. 

Really? The meltdown in Washington isn't extremely topical when discussing teams with internal issues? They're a fucking dumpster fire...again.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Really? The meltdown in Washington isn't topical when discussing teams with internal issues. They're a fucking dumpster fire...again.

Somebody a couple of years ago went crazy when I posted calling John Wall a top 10 player was nuts.... Hmmm.... His supermax deal looks horrendous.  He's making close to 38 million this year.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Somebody a couple of years ago went crazy when I posted calling John Wall a top 10 player was nuts.... Hmmm.... His supermax deal looks horrendous.  He's making close to 38 million this year.

Shit, I think I even had him as a fringe Top 10 player a couple of years ago. I thought the he finally turned a corner. Now, he's arguably the fastest player in the league, but moves, on average (thanks player tracking), as little and as slowly as anyone. He does less off the ball than Russ, and adds in eye rolls when his teammates miss shots for good measure. He should be the best defensive point guard in the league...but that would require effort. He's the leader of the most dysfunctional locker room south of Minnesota on a team that talks and acts like they've done a hell of a lot more than get bounced in the 2nd round. And he still can't shoot. What's not to like for $38M??

Woj and Lowe did a pod this week and both agreed that Beal has infinitely more trade value than his backcourt mate.

43 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

BTW, I made a mistake in looking at his contract.  He makes 38 million next year, not this one.  Mea Culpa.

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They fight all the time. What are you talking about? Rondo punched Chris Paul in the face like 4 games ago. 

Should my sarcasm meter be on? One incident is all the time? 99% of NBA "fights" are as tame as you can get. None of them really want to throw down.

Just now, Underdog said:

Link(s)?  Cause I'm not seeing anything on the Googles or ESPN. 

Knock yourself out:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/30/18040508/washington-wizards-john-wall-bradley-beal-chemistry

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=10528553&src=desktop

http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/10/30/18039814/washington-wizards-drama-john-wall-bradley-beal-history

You're probably right, though: I should have just posted "Washington fucking sucks" after they shit the bed against Memphis, instead of singling out their best, most grossly overpaid player.

• Like 1

Just now, Kermit said:

Now that the season has begun in earnest, is this the time where we laugh at the Lakers for not trading for Kawhi? Or Philly? I’m just curious as to when the appropriate time will be. That being said, fuck that asshole. 

Unreal that absolutely no one learned from the Paul George situation. I don't know if Uncle Dennis can be talked into Toronto, but an NBA Finals appearance in a town that loves their team would sure make a pretty nice sales' pitch.

LA not going all in I understand: they weren't going to win this year anyway, and they're really high (perhaps too much so) on Ingram. But Philly? He would have been a home run there, and they have the assets to have acquired him without moving their two best players.

LA has the freedom to take a run at free agents this offseason (though, none will be better than a healthy Kawhi). Does Philly?

Edited by aggie08

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Knock yourself out:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/30/18040508/washington-wizards-john-wall-bradley-beal-chemistry

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=10528553&src=desktop

http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/10/30/18039814/washington-wizards-drama-john-wall-bradley-beal-history

You're probably right, though: I should have just posted "Washington fucking sucks" after they shit the bed against Memphis, instead of singling out their best, most grossly overpaid player.

I'm no Wall fan, but you seemed to have unhealthy angst against him for some reason, especially since it's a Team you don't particularly care for.  I find it amusing, actually.   That's just a shitty franchise, they're on their 3rd or 4th coach since he's been in the league?  All of it his fault? 

Just now, Underdog said:

I'm no Wall fan, but you seemed to have unhealthy angst against him for some reason, especially since it's a Team you don't particularly care for.  I find it amusing, actually.   That's just a shitty franchise, they're on their 3rd or 4th coach since he's been in the league?  All of it his fault? 

I find just as much humor in Minnesota and OKC failings, lack of leadership, and chemistry issues, and call them out when they embarrass themselves thusly. It's not my fault that two of those teams showcase UK players--they put a lot of guys into the league--so get your blue panties out of a bunch.

Edited by aggie08

41 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Now that the season has begun in earnest, is this the time where we laugh at the Lakers for not trading for Kawhi? Or Philly? I’m just curious as to when the appropriate time will be. That being said, fuck that asshole. 

I think Philly really fucked themselves.  Saric has opened in a slump and Fultz doesn't fit on that team at all.  Their perimeter shooting sucks outside of Redick.... still.  They also don't really have a go to guy who can create off the dribble and get a bucket anytime you want or play PNR on the perimeter.  Embiid is a monster but there are ways to deny him the ball.  He's doing his best to dribble penetrate on mismatches but it's not always effective and he has a hard time on side sets right now.  If..... HUGE IF, Kawhi ends up getting them to ECF or even the semis with a close loss and decides to re-up in Canada and Philly fizzles out in the 2nd round, I think they'll be second guessed.  They're going to end up trading Fultz before next season's trade deadline IMO.  Kawhi would have made them the best team in the East.  It's what not having a GM will do to you, I guess....

Lakers is a different story.  They still have next summer but they'd be the 2nd best team in the league if they make that trade. 

Now, long, long, long way to go and let's not try and overreact so Philly could get right quick.  Maybe Simmons and Fultz learn to shoot magically.  Saric will definitely play better eventually.  Lakers will be interesting.  If they're 11-14 thru 25 games, we're going to see how "patient" Lebron is..... as he turns 34.  Or they could get it together around Christmas and end up as a 4 seed, but still with no hope of beating the Warriors unless injury.

27 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I always forget that John Wall has a super max. Then I laugh. 

Then I cry a little because I remember the Spurs had a chance to super max a player and chose not to based on some sound business decisions that now in hindsight look horrible. 

When did they pass up a chance to SuperMax kawhi? I thought he wasnt even eligible until this past summer and by then the bridges had been burnt.   

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

When did they pass up a chance to SuperMax kawhi? I thought he wasnt even eligible until this past summer and by then the bridges had been burnt.   

I vaguely remember some rumor about how, if the Spurs had actually put the contract on a table in from of him during the turmoil, he very well may have signed it, despite the distrust, because money talks.

1) I don't buy it. You don't act like he acted if there's even a 2% chance you stick around. If he wanted a supermax, all he had to do was ask. He didn't.

2) Even if it were true, only a shitty organization would draw this conclusion: "Kawhi wants out, he acted like a bitch all season, he's got bad influences in his ear, trust is completely shattered...but he may stay purely for the money--while probably still resenting us--if we offer him the supermax. Fuck it, let's beg him to come back, and pay him $250M.

Edited by aggie08

The Wizards are doomed to treadmill status with this roster.  The surest way to doom your future is to overpay for the talent/production you get back in return.  Next year they have over 106 million dollars committed to just four players (Beal,Wall,Porter,Mahinmi) and beyond that are paying 40+ million alone to Wall, and 46.8 million in 2002-2023 season.  Ouch.  Wall isn't a terrible player at all, but no way is he worth that kind of money and it cripples your other salary slots to truly build a great team.  If you're going to commit 40+ million, it had better be with a true superstar (and that is a very small list, maybe 4-5 players rate that money I think when you take age into account too)

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Should my sarcasm meter be on? One incident is all the time? 99% of NBA "fights" are as tame as you can get. None of them really want to throw down.

Yeah, let me look up the NBA suspension list from the last 10 years for you. 

The point is that it isn't unreasonable for cops to get involved if they think there is a chance of an actual fight happening. They aren't wearing pads or helmets - you can get seriously fucked up if you take a blow to the head from the average NBA player. 

This isn't hockey - the league isn't going to let two 6'8" 260 pound freaks duke it out while the refs hold other players back. 

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

The Wizards are doomed to treadmill status with this roster.  The surest way to doom your future is to overpay for the talent/production you get back in return.  Next year they have over 106 million dollars committed to just four players (Beal,Wall,Porter,Mahinmi) and beyond that are paying 40+ million alone to Wall, and 46.8 million in 2002-2023 season.  Ouch.  Wall isn't a terrible player at all, but no way is he worth that kind of money and it cripples your other salary slots to truly build a great team.  If you're going to commit 40+ million, it had better be with a true superstar (and that is a very small list, maybe 4-5 players rate that money I think when you take age into account too)

I don't know which franchise is the biggest dumpster fire right now but Washington is seriously throwing their hat in the ring after this start. 

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Link(s)?  Cause I'm not seeing anything on the Googles or ESPN. 

It isn't a "big story" but it's pretty well documented as a mess of a locker room going back to last year when Wall was out. No idea what he's talking about - there are much bigger stories right now.