Do You Remember? 60s-80s

retread

On 4/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, RPM said:

We had a set but they were from 1960. Listed Greater Southwest International as the most advanced jet airport in the world.

20081205SAWG_fg13a.jpg

we had that exact set and as a side note, i grew up about two miles from that airport.  when they abandoned it, mexicana left behind an airliner that had been stripped and we used to go climb all over it.  no security at all, used to roam the empty terminals as well. /csb

On 4/27/2018 at 9:43 PM, RPM said:

Also had a set of these.

21709499_1.jpg?v=8D224D28D0AF960

I have a partial set of those. I wish I kept my mkm’s 1968-70 era World Book Encyclopedia set, although it would probably just sit there. The page on WWII Navy vessels is wrinkled because I thought a wet piece of paper would make a suitable substitute for tracing paper. 

^^^^ 

In another year or so I'm going to put together a vintage BMX bike for my 8yo son.  I still have my old Mongoose Supergoose frame, I've heard the new ones are junk but that was a really nice bike back in 1981 or whatever.

We didn't have World Book -- we had Encyclopedia Britannica.  My folks wrestled long and hard with the purchase decision, and then did so -- had to do it on a payment plan over months (years)?  It was a real-deal sacrifice.

I was such a fucking nerd that I'd just pull out a volume and start reading stuff.  But I really loved the "Book of the Year" that you got every year; it covered big events the past year, things that materially changed previous entries, that sort of thing.  I'd read it cover-to-cover.   And now, 35 years later, we get the Economist...and at the end of each year, they have a "look back at the last year" edition.  And yep, I read it...cover to cover.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:46 PM, Brisketexan said:

We didn't have World Book -- we had Encyclopedia Britannica.  My folks wrestled long and hard with the purchase decision, and then did so -- had to do it on a payment plan over months (years)?  It was a real-deal sacrifice.

I was such a fucking nerd that I'd just pull out a volume and start reading stuff.  But I really loved the "Book of the Year" that you got every year; it covered big events the past year, things that materially changed previous entries, that sort of thing.  I'd read it cover-to-cover.   And now, 35 years later, we get the Economist...and at the end of each year, they have a "look back at the last year" edition.  And yep, I read it...cover to cover.

We had both. Had the exact 60's version of the World Book, minus the Childcraft, at least I never saw them, if we had them. I think they bought the World Book set at a garage sale. They bought the Encyclopedia Britannica set on the monthly bill. Think I read all of both sets, which is likely why I was so good at the original Trivial Pursuit, when it first came out. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Diamond backs were SO much better than those shitty Mongoose bikes. However, both were way better than Sigmas...

6th grade bike smack talk not going away.

I was poor and took what I was given.  Actually given to me by a friend who raced BMX and won it as a grand prize in one competition or another.  He had a ton of bikes.

My current road bike is a 14-speed Diamondback that I bought in 1991, after my old POS 10-speed got stolen on campus behind Moore Hill.

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

How about cars that only went to 85mph* or made sure you knew where 55 was...

35c5b3034f28d888b2a13abfc16769d7.jpg

9300b35a3eacab30acbbf848976d1021.jpg

*learned to drive in a’85 Cutlass and realized you could actually bury the needle...

Did you bury it in front or back seat?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

All you rich kids and your BMX's.  My whip came from a garage sale:

40326464cb837b90fc4451058619bced.jpg

All you rich kids and your Schwinns. I had a used Western Flyer that was made from 2 or 3 different bikes.