Do You Remember? 60s-80s

retread

On 4/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, Cousin Strawberry said:

3029781-2166482616-il_57.jpg

I used to sit downstairs with my hand on the dial in case my parents came down.  If I thought they were coming, it'd move from 43 (HBO or Cinemax) to some other channel that had appropriate content (determined ahead of time).  Watching hours of television for the < 10 second payoff of the promised "partial nudity." 

37 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

They left a greasy spot on the walls and my dad would be so pissed at us when we got those.

Our living room has a ceiling (sloped) that ranges from 12 to 18 feet.  My son threw a sticky eyeball (made of the same material) at the ceiling.  It stuck.  I figured it would fall off.  After a few days, it didn't.  I tried to knock it down.  It just smeared around.  Eventually, when our housepainter was over, I had to hire him to use his scaffolding, scrape it off, and then repaint the ceiling there.

I tried really hard to be mad at the boy.  But shit, man....throwing a sticky eyeball at the ceiling?  Who WOULDN'T try that?

Austin Aquafest.  

Looking at the first concert thread on the music forum and started thinking of the acts I saw at AAF overthe years - Roy Orbison, Bad Company, Eric Johnson on the kiddie stage . . .

K-98 Raft Race was held in conjunction with or around the same time as AAF.  In high school some buddies and I built and entered a raft.  I recall swimming from raft to raft with a solo cup getting keg beer.  Also recall the worst sunburn of my life.

21 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Austin Aquafest.  

Looking at the first concert thread on the music forum and started thinking of the acts I saw at AAF overthe years - Roy Orbison, Bad Company, Eric Johnson on the kiddie stage . . .

K-98 Raft Race was held in conjunction with or around the same time as AAF.  In high school some buddies and I built and entered a raft.  I recall swimming from raft to raft with a solo cup getting keg beer.  Also recall the worst sunburn of my life.

ac292b5187fe015cd2bfe55c3fab0bb8.jpg

• Like 3

There's a video game hall of fame museum in Frisco.  Took the kids a few weeks ago.  Thought I'd be bored because I've never really been in to playing video games.  That being said, it was really cool.  They had a room set up like an old arcade where you could play the actual games.  They also had a stand-alone Dragon's Lair game.  When I was a kid, there was a Dragon's Lair game at a local pizza place.  I couldn't really afford to pop in quarter after quarter, so I'd watch other kids play the game for hours.  Memories.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:25 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

9163290042_9e89335509_o.jpg

What a cool picture:

Milt Plum, Bobby Layne, Sam Etcheverry, Bill Wade, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Norm Snead & Zeke Bratowski

Jim Ninowski, Fran Tarkenton, Don Merideth, John Brodie, Sonny Jergensen & Y.A Tittle

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That is the only one I was even remotely average at playing. I sucked badly at every other video game. As in a total waste of quarters.

Many of them would limit how fast you could shoot -- slight delay b/w shots (fraction of second). It was even more fun to find one that would shoot on every button press.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 6:04 PM, PencilPusher said:

And of course the greatest football game of all time:

TEMCO BOWL!!!!!

Image result for tecmo bowl

On the 30 for 30 for Bo one of the people they interviewed said - Bo only had one play in that game because to give him two plays would be totally unfair...

25 minutes ago, Stoogey said:

Fortran.
sxennr.jpg

Think I knew more than my Fortran professor - which wasn't saying much..  He also demanded we turn in punch cards but never realized that I was using TSO and then the PUNCH command.  So much easier to correct a mistake and never worried about dropping the program deck.

Still have a couple thousand unused punched cards - but not from them. Before retiring from IBM I ordered a couple of boxes of them. I used them all the time for notes instead of postit notes so I keep using them.

Edited by AUinHsv