Do You Remember? 60s-80s

retread

My bike looked a lot like this...

e34010b14a4bc01b3cee97fd9b3c5b8f.jpg

Don't think that was the exact bike but it was a Diamondback, had the pads on the bars and was blue.

In my teens, got a 10 speed Specialized road bike. My brother was a pro rider back then. He got it for me, for dirt cheap, through his sponsors.

We were not rich, not poor either but I benefited greatly from having older brothers who were computer engineers, electronic engineers, pro cyclist and a sponsored distance runner(got the very first pair of Air Max before they hit the market, pic below of what they looked like back in '87).

maxresdefault.jpg

^^^^ 
In another year or so I'm going to put together a vintage BMX bike for my 8yo son.  I still have my old Mongoose Supergoose frame, I've heard the new ones are junk but that was a really nice bike back in 1981 or whatever.
I did this.... my sons didn't really get it.

As for he rest of this thread, all this stuff was fun to play with. Thanks for inviting me over, because I didn't have shit.

14 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I did this.... my sons didn't really get it.

As for he rest of this thread, all this stuff was fun to play with. Thanks for inviting me over, because I didn't have shit.

My son really wants a BMX bike, so he won't get the "vintage" part but it'll still be what he wants.  More importantly, I'll get to ride it again, too. :)

ATBsUIzy_o.jpg

Chemistry kit included a Bunsen burner. Responsible handling of a flaming accelerant for a child. 

My friend's dad's chemistry set included radium. 

I remember a Science Fair. Took my father's glow-in-the-dark dial watch and put it in a beaker (to make it scientific) lined with black cloth and dry ice. You could see the radioactive scintillations.  

On 4/11/2018 at 10:05 AM, PencilPusher said:

I'll see your NFL jackets and raise you this:

Image result for 70's nfl sheets

Loved the NFL Sheets as a kid.....of course I had a roommate after college that was sporting a more modern version of this on his bed....we were out drinking one night and he was lamenting his lack of action in said sheets.....to which another friends girl goes....."no self respecting woman is getting it on with someone in a bed with NFL sheets".....said sheets disappeared shortly thereafter.

Had these same covers growing up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 1:42 AM, El Diablo said:

That man truly was an American badass and the inspiration to millions to go break some bones trying stupid shit in imitation.

Nothing like him since. "Jackass" don't count.

I've long had a theory that every American man born in the 1960s has a scar somewhere on his body from some incident where he thought he was Evel Knievel.  Mine is on the lower part of my left knee.

19 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Right elbow. Jumped 6 kids. Crashed into curb.

I held the record in my neighborhood for jumping 6 galvanized metal garbage cans using a ramp I constructed.  I was the only one that would try 6.  We had all the neighbor’s cans in front of our house. 

I held the record in my neighborhood for jumping 6 galvanized metal garbage cans using a ramp I constructed.  I was the only one that would try 6.  We had all the neighbor’s cans in front of our house. 

Was the ramp an old door? Bc that would be cool!

My ramp want an old door on cinder blocks. Yellow banana seat Schwin.

My ramp was at the bottom of a hill at the edge of a lake.  Had to get off bike in mid air after launch point while holding onto handle bar so I could swim bake up with bike in tow.  Busted up shins and forearms pretty good.   Good times.  Loved Evel. 

7 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

My ramp want an old door on cinder blocks. Yellow banana seat Schwin.

Y'all all sorts of fancy.  We usually settled for a couple of bricks and a half-rotted 2x4.

Let me tell you, heading full speed down a hill and trying to hit that 2x4 dead center took mad skillz.  When you didn't pull it off it was time to add to the scar collection (right knee and chin for yours truly).

On 6/2/2018 at 9:39 AM, utee94 said:

My son really wants a BMX bike, so he won't get the "vintage" part but it'll still be what he wants.  More importantly, I'll get to ride it again, too. :)

This is what happened...  he wanted to "jump ramps".  I built a small ramp (with a significant lip, though) and have put together several bikes...  i need to hit that ramp this week... because summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snacks said:

This is what happened...  he wanted to "jump ramps".  I built a small ramp (with a significant lip, though) and have put together several bikes...  i need to hit that ramp this week... because summer.

Amen, brotha.  And not bitchassed ramps either, I'm betting?

We're almost there, my son test-road some new 24" BMX style bikes the other day and he's ALMOST big enough to ride them comfortably.  It'll likely be my winter project with a target to have it ready by spring.  He's really starting to love anything throwback (prefers my Atari 2600 that I dug up to his WiiU and his cousin's XBox) so maybe he'll be as into it as I am.  Probably not, but I'm doing it anyway! :)

Edited by utee94

Built my ramp under a metal clothes line to get the right angle for my bike to land half way down a hill.  Misjudged the launch angle and got 6 stitches in the chin from the clothes line.  Parents were at work and my grandmother had to take me to the ER.  Fun times.    

• Like 1

Had myself a sweet Huffy.  Had the number plate on the handlebars and in the frame along with the mud guards/fender things on both wheels.  Some friends and I were riding on some trails in the woods and I took a jump.  Landed off the trail and impaled a stick in my forehead.  I was pushing my bike out of the woods with blood streaming down my face when some lady in the neighborhood saw me, took me in their house and had my head in the sink under the running water, while at the same time calling my mom.  Ended up with a trip to the emergency room, 17 stitches and a kick ass scar that is very visible today.  Evel may have been in influence in that decision.

9 hours ago, Mileslong said:

7c5050d9aeb9ae4f28aa789900805c2e.jpg

75b3afcd991f5c513c1ff69c134ae2b8.png

5b00bc15037e440ec16f21281dc34889.jpg

The Cave at Six Flags was awesome. It was the one place you could go and ride something that was nice and cool on a hot summer's day.

Also the Shakeys Pizza in Austin was the first place I ever had a shrimp pizza.

It became Antone's later on Guadalupe. CVS now I think.