Do You Remember? 60s-80s

retread

22 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

When you rode your bike to school, the last few feet you'd speed up, and then bail out as you shot the unmanned bike ahead to the bike area, where it crashed into all the other bikes.

I would never treat my Tangerine orange Raleigh chopper or My lime green Schwinn Stingray with such disrespect.  

Well, I did stick playing cards in the spokes, which eventually fucked uo the true of the wheels, but that sound was de rigor for neighborhood bike travel.

23 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

VtCJ4O8.jpg

There was a whole series of these biographies of famous men's (and women's) lives as  youths.  I must have read scores of them in elementary school.  Graduated to more adult books by about sixth grade.

Holy fuck.   The library was a block from my house and I read all of those.  

On 3/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, idigTexas said:

Every 7-11 had these on the floor leading to the Slurpee machine.

s-l300.jpg

Hours of fun unless an adult was whipping your ass with a piece of track.

maxresdefault.jpg

farrah-fawcett-photofest-promojpg.jpg

boxedset2.jpg

62b0473496919505d3afd00a7f43c041.jpg

WATERFALL_BILLBOARD_13350133.jpg?auto=fo

Is this last pic the waterfall billboard on I-35 heading into downtown Dallas?  If so, it's currently one of the most depressing things I've seen since moving back to Dallas last summer.  The billboard is still there, but there's a very large condo behind it and it now just looks out of place.  Effing sprawl.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

4 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Nobody in our neighborhood could afford a Schwinn. Brother and I had Western Flyers from Western Auto.

Were the Western Flyers yellow?  I seem to recall my parents by yellow bikes from an auto parts store for my brothers and me.

53 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Were the Western Flyers yellow?  I seem to recall my parents by yellow bikes from an auto parts store for my brothers and me.

Mine was gold, his was red. Mine had a twist-grip 3-speed which was kinda cool. Our grade school was 2 1/2 miles away but we rode bikes everyday that the weather was fit. Used to take our .22s and ride south of Wichita to plink in the Big Ditch around town. Moms today would scream bloody murder to see that roll through the neighborhood today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I don't think it was all stores, just specific types. Pretty sure grocery stores were open on Sunday.

They were, but much of the store would be literally roped off, lest some poor lost soul would attempt to buy a spatula on the Sabbath and be condemned to hell.

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is this last pic the waterfall billboard on I-35 heading into downtown Dallas?  If so, it's currently one of the most depressing things I've seen since moving back to Dallas last summer.  The billboard is still there, but there's a very large condo behind it and it now just looks out of place.  Effing sprawl.

Yep. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Blue Laws were weird as shit. There were certain items that you couldn't buy on Sunday.

For example, you could buy a nail but not a hammer or vice versa. All based on religious grounds.

Even as a kid, I knew that was some bizarre shit.

Well, they didn't want anyone else to get crucified, given what happened with the last guy.

18 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I don't think it was all stores, just specific types. Pretty sure grocery stores were open on Sunday.

My grandfather's grocery stores stayed closed on Sundays until the mid 80s.  I think the grocery store blue laws ended in the 70s.

Edited by Johnny Sack