2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

I'm seeing it in the following order (obviously not all are gonna happen)

1.Undefeated Bama, clemson, ND

2. 1 loss SEC champ

3. 1 loss Michigan as big 10 champ

4. 1 loss Bama non sec champ

5.  1 loss big 12 (Texas or ou)

6.  1 loss ND (loss will be too late in year)

7.  1 loss OSU as big 10 champ (ass whipping tonight hurts badly)

Here are the power 5, no or one loss teams, and best win and loss: 

Notre Dame (7-0) - Best Win: Michigan (6-1)

Clemson (7-0) - Best Win: NC State (5-1)

Alabama (8-0) - Best Win: Texas A&M (5-2)

LSU (7-1) - Best Win: Georgia (6-1); Loss: Florida (6-1)

Florida (6-1) - Best Win: LSU (7-1);  Loss: Kentucky (6-1)

Kentucky (6-1) - Best Win: Florida (6-1); Loss: Texas A&M (5-2)

Texas (6-1) - Best Win: Oklahoma (6-1); Loss: Maryland (4-3)

Michigan (7-1) - Best Win: Wisconsin (5-2); Loss: Notre Dame (7-0)

North Carolina State (5-1) - Best Wins: Boston College (5-2) / Virginia (5-2); Loss: Clemson (7-0)

Oklahoma (6-1) - Best Win: Army (5-2); Loss: Texas (6-1)

Ohio State (7-1) - Best Win: Penn State (5-2); Loss: Purdue (4-3)

Washington State (6-1) - Best Win: Oregon (5-2); Loss: USC (4-3)

West Virginia (5-1) - Best Win: at Texas Tech (5-2); Loss: Iowa State (3-3)

Georgia (6-1) - Best Win: at Missouri (4-3); Loss: LSU (7-1)

Iowa (6-1) - Best Win: Maryland (4-3); Loss: Wisconsin (5-2)

Edited by UTEX_ME
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NameWithHeld said:

Not if Purdue keeps running those jet sweeps and trap plays with the little ones. 

those were some exquisite blocking schemes executed perfectly.  It's rare to see some Xs and Os played out on the field exactly as drawn up on the board.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I'm seeing it in the following order (obviously not all are gonna happen)

1.Undefeated Bama, clemson, ND

2. 1 loss SEC champ

3. 1 loss Michigan as big 10 champ

4. 1 loss Bama non sec champ

5.  1 loss big 12 (Texas or ou)

6.  1 loss ND (loss will be too late in year)

7.  1 loss OSU as big 10 champ (ass whipping tonight hurts badly)

You think losing to USC, the most likely Pac-12 Champs, in a close game is worse than losing to Maryland? The timing of the loss won’t have shit to do with it. ND would still be ranked ahead of us. We need them to have 2 losses at this point unless the SEC or Michigan/tOSU craps out on their 2nd team.

I’m in the “happy to be here” camp. Don’t see it happening for us this year, which is fine. It’s fun to enjoy the ride again. In 1 or 2 years, we’ll learn how to finish it off. 

the Mich-tOSU game is going to be critical for the Big12.  If tOSU wins, i think a 1 loss Big12 goes over them, but if Mich wins, the Wolves are in.  Meaning we have to root for tOSU if Texas beats OU or root for Mich if OU beats Texas. 

Mich offense struggles on the road and tOSU plays much better at home, although the Mich D is a constant force. Probably be a 17-13 game. 

Edited by NowThis

53 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You think losing to USC, the most likely Pac-12 Champs, in a close game is worse than losing to Maryland? The timing of the loss won’t have shit to do with it. ND would still be ranked ahead of us. We need them to have 2 losses at this point unless the SEC or Michigan/tOSU craps out on their 2nd team.

I’m in the “happy to be here” camp. Don’t see it happening for us this year, which is fine. It’s fun to enjoy the ride again. In 1 or 2 years, we’ll learn how to finish it off. 

Dude, no. ND needs to lose once. Comparing the quality of losses will have nothing to do with it. All that will matter is we will have ended the season on a12-game winning streak and are conf champs. And ND will have lost late in season. There is no question we’d be ahead. 

52 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Bama has earned that pass. No issues with that.

No. This is not for the lifetime achievement award, although I don't see them losing. If they actually played someone on the road it could be an interesting game. 1st time that I remember during Saban era that they are having trouble running the football.

2 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

No. This is not for the lifetime achievement award, although I don't see them losing. If they actually played someone on the road it could be an interesting game. 1st time that I remember during Saban era that they are having trouble running the football.

No. They deserve dispensation, just like they did last year. CFP would be a total farce without them if all they did was lose to LSU. That is not happening though. They’re markedly better than they have been with new QB. 

56 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I think ND losing to a USC team we pounded gives us the edge. I also think Michigan pounding Maryland gives them the edge.  OSU has that over us too but i think the proctology exam Purdue put on them overcomes it.

Hell,  we're all just guessing here and at the end of the day if we're dealing with 1 loss blue bloods of ND/Tex/Mich/OSU fighting for a spot nobody knows how the committee will rationalize it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

No. They deserve dispensation, just like they did last year. CFP would be a total farce without them if all they did was lose to LSU. That is not happening though. They’re markedly better than they have been with new QB. 

That really wasn't my point. They are not automatic if they lose  a game at the end of the year and can't make there conference championship game. If there are four other teams that are 0 or 1 lose teams and win there conference, then they shouldn't get in just because of past rep.

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This picture will clear up itself, just last week, everyone was saying how this season we would have four undefeated teams in the playoffs, now it's a log jam of 1 loss teams.  Feels great with Texas playing with house money.  Next up okie light, primetime abc?

This was always a stupid prediction. That shit never happens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Houston sucks tho, right?

i think they're pretty good and will beat USF this Saturday in Htown, 2.30pm ABC. USF damn near lost to Uconn and has struggled on the road. UH will be sky high for this one and will smash them.  IMO UH should be ranked about 15-20 by year end and play in a decent Bowl, maybe vs. Boise St. 

46 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

That really wasn't my point. They are not automatic if they lose  a game at the end of the year and can't make there conference championship game. If there are four other teams that are 0 or 1 lose teams and win there conference, then they shouldn't get in just because of past rep.

Probably a moot point and not worth arguing about. But I totally disagree. 

Just now, VaLonghorn99 said:

OU doing it again with style points. We don't need them like we did in 08 cause of Big 12 championship. We just need more double digit wins to impress the CFP committee

This isn’t 2014. We don’t need this. 

You think a 4-3 USC team that was just dominated by Utah is the most likely Pac-12 champ?

14 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I’ll take OU losing to tech or W Virginia. 

Sure. But those are two separate topics. I will always take OU losing (but they won’t - they’re significantly better than either of those average teams), but we do not need that to make the CFP. 

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Have you not paid attention the past 20 years? Timing does have a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

Spangly you got this one so wrong. A one loss Texas team absolutely finishes ahead of a one loss Notre Dame team.

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

the Mich-tOSU game is going to be critical for the Big12.  If tOSU wins, i think a 1 loss Big12 goes over them, but if Mich wins, the Wolves are in.  Meaning we have to root for tOSU if Texas beats OU or root for Mich if OU beats Texas. 

Mich offense struggles on the road and tOSU plays much better at home, although the Mich D is a constant force. Probably be a 17-13 game. 

If Purdue can beat jort, then Michigan can too.  It's usually an early kick.  Maybe it gets pushed to 330 but it won't be a night game.  tosu are tofu after last night.

Now consider Meatchicken.  Look at the confidence we created with the USC and TCU wins.  (still parcells...)  For the first time in 9 years we look the part.  We don't have a Top 25 "true road win" yet.  Meatchicken got their first since 2006, over their aggy who has owned them for years.

Jort & pizzameyer should be concerned.  All things change over time, and this year, there are 2 helmets on the up.  Us and meatchicken. (PARCELLS).

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Spangly you got this one so wrong. A one loss Texas team absolutely finishes ahead of a one loss Notre Dame team.

Not this year.  Regardless if our form is better and our wins and losses are better.

The Ewok comeback is what will be the talking point for the mouse.  Regardless of who it benefits, they will use it for all narratives.  They can't use the Maryland loss against us because that will raise the specter of the Purdue win last night.  So they will use the "escaped 0u therefore suspect" argument despite the fact that domer will not have a win that is as good as ours over 0u.

Not sure what the worry is about OU.  I'll admit.  I was kind of pissed to hear multiple talking heads yesterday pump up OU as the "obvious" Big 12 favorite.  Thing is, we want them to appear as the Team of the Century right now.  We'll either beat an overrated team to help the resume or have 2 losses and it won't matter.

the narrative is critical now as we are only a week away from the first committee fix of the season.  the narrative is being used to pimp domer until the first fix.

Georgia wins the east and beats Bama.  Both get in.  Enjoy.

Clemson: i thought they were suspect, i thought wolfpack would test them.  Not.  They're winning out.

Domer have to get in this year "because".  Trips to Evanston and the Coliseum offer the only hope to the rest of the contenders.

Last slot goes to in order:

1-loss b1g

1-loss bdf

1-loss pac (Pirate!)

2-loss SEC champ

2-loss not-SEC-champ bama

0-loss UCF

3 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Except of course we would have won the transitive comparison of beating the same USC squad. All things equal.  After watching The Utes push USC around I doubt they can play with the Domers. 

Basically, Texas will have to win out either way. If we beat 7 ranked teams and are a Power 5 we would have a legit claim to be in.

We are built to kill the spread. Don’t see a lot of spread in the top teams. So yeah happy to be here too. That said, Texas has a punchers chance against most teams that throw.

Edited by Alien Octopus

Here's what pisses me off about the national media's OU suckfest.

We're all pretty much on the same page that a 1 loss OU would get in regardless of circumstance.

HOWEVER, a 1-loss Texas team that will have beaten God's Gift to Football TWICE might need things to fall the right way.

WTF is that about?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not sure what the worry is about OU.  I'll admit.  I was kind of pissed to hear multiple talking heads yesterday pump up OU as the "obvious" Big 12 favorite.  Thing is, we want them to appear as the Team of the Century right now.  We'll either beat an overrated team to help the resume or have 2 losses and it won't matter.

I love our fans’ dismissal of OU. As if they had more time in the Cotton Bowl, there’s no way they would have beaten us. Narrator: they would have beaten us  

Can we beat them again?  Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion that we will?  Are you smoking crack?

14 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Not this year.  Regardless if our form is better and our wins and losses are better.

The Ewok comeback is what will be the talking point for the mouse.  Regardless of who it benefits, they will use it for all narratives.  They can't use the Maryland loss against us because that will raise the specter of the Purdue win last night.  So they will use the "escaped 0u therefore suspect" argument despite the fact that domer will not have a win that is as good as ours over 0u.

Bingo. Texas/ou would have been great for us if we only played 3 quarters. That told the story over the box score, which will be remembered more by non-Texas fans. All the talk is what ou’s chances are to make the Top 4. Why? Because people believe our win was a fluke. We struggled against subpar KSU and Baylor teams and they just beat the shit out of TCU on the road. Honestly, they should be getting their due. We’ll get our chance to leave no doubt if we take care of business. ou looking good is a plus for us at this point if things are still bunched up at the end of the year. It will make the pillow biting all that much more impressive when we win the Big 12.

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the narrative is critical now as we are only a week away from the first committee fix of the season.  the narrative is being used to pimp domer until the first fix.

Georgia wins the east and beats Bama.  Both get in.  Enjoy.

Clemson: i thought they were suspect, i thought wolfpack would test them.  Not.  They're winning out.

Domer have to get in this year "because".  Trips to Evanston and the Coliseum offer the only hope to the rest of the contenders.

Last slot goes to in order:

1-loss b1g

1-loss bdf

1-loss pac (Pirate!)

2-loss SEC champ

2-loss not-SEC-champ bama

0-loss UCF

are you aggy?  who the fuck calls the big 12 "bdf" except aggy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

i think they're pretty good and will beat USF this Saturday in Htown, 2.30pm ABC. USF damn near lost to Uconn and has struggled on the road. UH will be sky high for this one and will smash them.  IMO UH should be ranked about 15-20 by year end and play in a decent Bowl, maybe vs. Boise St. 

If UH wins out they will be playing in a NY6 bowl.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

We're all pretty much on the same page that a 1 loss OU would get in regardless of circumstance.

HOWEVER, a 1-loss Texas team that will have beaten God's Gift to Football TWICE might need things to fall the right way.

WTF is that about?

It's all about perception man.  We don't win in an appealing way.  Our scores are close.  ou has a heisman contender and is putting up video game numbers.  people like watching their offense whether we like it or not.  That combined with us losing to Maryland and our failures in the past few years have instilled doubt in the media.  Until we can show that we can win consistently, we will have to deal with this.  If we end up with 1-2 losses this season, you will hear a different tone with regards to our team next year. 

18 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

WTF is that about?

A 12-1 Texas will be in playoffs unless there are 4 unbeaten P5 champs/ND.

18 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I love our fans’ dismissal of OU. As if they had more time in the Cotton Bowl, there’s no way they would have beaten us. Narrator: they would have beaten us  

Can we beat them again?  Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion that we will?  Are you smoking crack?

Dude.  Hence the, "we'll have two losses and it won't matter" part.  

I'm not even counting down the days to the Big 12 Championship game yet and we have the easiest path to it.