Hager constantly selling out inside cost us this game

hookem48

10 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You should try harder to appear more reasonable on a message board. You are the only person I’ve ever seen try to defend Hager, the MOST un-instinctual player ever.  Coming on here, after that shitshow, to point out how “absurd” it is that people are critical of him is fucking ridiculous. But hey, Surly Contrarian, congrats for being you. 

We ran with 3 down linemen all game. DEs generally don't set the edge in a 3-man front, especially with a tight end on the LOS. You want them slanting to take away the gaps on the playside, while a LB/nickel sets the edge for the QB keeper.

9 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m just baffled by his apparent inability to grasp the opposing player. He can sometimes reach the runner/QB, but they usually escape. 

Make the damn tackle.

That sack that he didn't actually make but started celebrating on, is probably the perfect example

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's almost like Orlando got pantsed tonight. He failed to adjust for basically an entire half. 3-man DL slanting on every snap and DBs playing 8-10 yards off and backpedaling at the snap.

Blaming Hager for doing what the call asked him to do is absurd.

you just like his hair

• Like 1

As I get older I tend to blame the adults more than the kids playing. They’re getting paid big bucks.  They should be putting kids in the right position. If the kids aren’t doing it right put in somebody else.  

Guess I’m with Huck on this one. Go figure. 

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

As I get older I tend to blame the adults more than the kids playing. They’re getting paid big bucks.  They should be putting kids in the right position. If the kids aren’t doing it right put in somebody else.  

At the moment I would say the adults are limited with the "put in somebody else" part.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You know, we can disagree - you don’t think Hager is an idiot and I do - whatever. But for such an established poster to go on a neg campaign for such a message board slight?  

You and I have a very good common friend. You don’t know me. You’re a fucking loser. 

You and I have a common friend in common too. 

Your mom.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

100% correct.  Especially off a bye week.  No excuse for the coaches for that 1st half display.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

That sack that he didn't actually make but started celebrating on, is probably the perfect example

agree with this.

Britt was a pal back in the day and I root for his kid, because he is his kid in addition to being a Longhorn player who loves playing here.....but fuck he is frustrating to watch ....."slanting" or "setting the edge" or not....dude can't get anyone on the ground to get the defense off the field - I am not sure that he hasn't had the best coaching in that regard....he just doesn't seem to have the skills.

2 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

agree with this.

Britt was a pal back in the day and I root for his kid, because he is his kid in addition to being a Longhorn player who loves playing here.....but fuck he is frustrating to watch ....."slanting" or "setting the edge" or not....dude can't get anyone on the ground to get the defense off the field - I am not sure that he hasn't had the best coaching in that regard....he just doesn't seem to have the skills.

He needs to sit, that's what he needs to do. 

That play were the QB just squirmed out of his grasp and he just stood up to pose encapsulated the type of play we've seen from him. 

35 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Meh. These aren't pee wee football players out there. These are young men who were highly recruited. They have to own their shitty play as well. Hager was terrible. Orlando was terrible. It does not have to be one or the other. It can be both. And it was tonight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slade said:

That play were the QB just squirmed out of his grasp and he just stood up to pose encapsulated the type of play we've seen from him. 

Imagine if there was no one there to clean up his mess. He would have been celebrating in the backfield as their QB would have been running down the field to make a play. Lmao.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

It's almost like Orlando got pantsed tonight. He failed to adjust for basically an entire half. 3-man DL slanting on every snap and DBs playing 8-10 yards off and backpedaling at the snap.

Blaming Hager for doing what the call asked him to do is absurd.

Yeah, I can get the hate for celebrating an "almost sack" and some of some of the other things he does personality wise, but pay attention to what Texas' 3-2-6 base dime defense is trying to do and give credit where credit is due. 

Gundy picked it a part, yes, could Hager do a better job about breaking down, getting his head up and adjusting to the ball and play, of course. But Hager is not responsible for the QB keep on those plays, he just isn't. 

He is executing with intensity what he has been called to, and coached to, do on most (if not all, though I would assume like all players he made a fair share of execution mistakes during the game as well). 

Ends job in this defense is to take on blockers and plug holes, if he gets through and can disrupt a play that's a bonus.   There's a lot of blame to share in this loss and a lot of it goes to the defense, coaching in particular.   Our defense is very slow to adjust, has been for going on 2 years now.   

Timid play calling on offense, pass drops, lack of discipline on offense, complete lack of understanding of how well a true hurry-up works.  On defense there was poor adjustments, poor tackling, poor secondary play.  Bad decisions on short bus teams, poor officiating and penalties.  

Team effort from coaches to players.  

Edited by Treefidy

I think Hager has some personal things going on and frankly appears to be losing his mind. Any other psychologists in here? Everything about him scream’s mental problems.  Maybe it’s the hair. Maybe he’s done a lot of drugs. Whatever it is, I get the feeling this dude is going to severely embarrass the University at some point during his life 

He may be a great guy. But if you believe that he should be a defensive starter at a blue chip school like Texas I think you’re viewing it through very, very Orange glasses.

He makes an occasional play, but isn’t feared by any offense. Throw in his showmanship and you start seeing nothing much more then a legacy kid. The Willis Reed arm thing last night was just another example. 

He is not terrible, but he isn’t a starter either. At best he should get a few snaps as a back up to keep a legitimate player fresh. He is owed that much because of his old man.

The play where Hager thought he had the sack but the OKST QB was, in fact, not down but Goldilocks Preen Machine started to celebrate while another UT player finished off the QB defines this kid.  He is a kid and needs to pull his head out of his ass, focus less on himself, his image and more on football. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Huck isn’t wrong in that Orlando did get pantsed. 

Huck is wrong in any suggested defense of Hager. Hager is fucking terrible and needs to graduate. 

Huck also negged me 20 times last night because I dared question him. 

8 hours ago, Slade said:

Yeah. He had no clue that GJ or someone made the play. I’ve never been as disgusted with an individual as much as Hager. Haines, Derry, Swoopes - nothing is close. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

While we're bitching about the line.  What's up with Omenihu?  Every game he seems invisible; however, there seems to be a point in every game where he makes 2 or 3 great plays in a row.  I'm always all, "There he is" and then he goes back to obscurity.

A lack of consistency from the DEs has been making me pull my hair out for years since Alex Okafor and Jackson Jeffcoat left. Like you said there are a few times in a game where Omenihu will make a grown man type play and just manhandle his guy and make a TFL or a sack and then...crickets. 

13 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Can someone confirm that Hager and Omenihu aren't being told to crash down the line 89% of the time? It looks like they're being asked to come inside so an LB can can up the edge.

Yeah. I’m sure Hager is being coached to play like an asshole. I’m absolutely sure it’s the coaching, and if Hager were merely coached better, he’d be an All-American. If only our senior captain were coached better. 

32 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Can someone confirm that Hager and Omenihu aren't being told to crash down the line 89% of the time? It looks like they're being asked to come inside so an LB can can up the edge.

I'm going to have to rewatch the game...which will be torture, but to figure out what we were doing. My guess is that the DL was playing similarly to how they have the entire season, and it was the LB's and guys like Locke or Foster that were not in position or at the least not winning their one on one block matchup.

I have never seen a defensive lineman almost make the big play as much as he does.
But about a thousand things cost us this game. This team still has growing up to do.
For Hager, Locke, Omenihu, Boyd, Wheeler and Davis it's too late for that, we aren't gonna see em any more grown up in burnt orange.

Add Brandon Jones & Locke to the list as well.  Common denominator is Orlando didn’t have the defense ready to play once again.  
Cant start off so terrible every week.  Bad coaching off a bye week.   Ellingher is a tough SOB.  
Oline struggled.  This one is on the defense though, starting with Orlando.  Straight up out-coached   

Jones had by far his worse game this year, (yes, includes the turtles) but actually had been playing much better up till this game.

Orlando is very overrated, i tried to tell everyone that his UH performance wasn't good, giving up massive points and yardage to a few teams. He adjusts very late, plays soft too much, and takes too many risks. Play a standard Greg Robinson D and improve. 

6 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

I think Hager has some personal things going on and frankly appears to be losing his mind. Any other psychologists in here? Everything about him scream’s mental problems.  Maybe it’s the hair. Maybe he’s done a lot of drugs. Whatever it is, I get the feeling this dude is going to severely embarrass the University at some point during his life 

Wouldn't say he's "losing his mind", but he's definitely a weird dude that could possibly even have some mental problems. I'd say that about anyone that's that active on social media and posts about the weird stuff that he does. 

14 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Orlando is very overrated, i tried to tell everyone that his UH performance wasn't good, giving up massive points and yardage to a few teams. He adjusts very late, plays soft too much, and takes too many risks. Play a standard Greg Robinson D and improve. 

One shitty performance doesn't make somebody overrated. We have played good defense most of the year. I am worried at the lack of ability to adjust the defense to help guys that need help but some of that last night was just a product of not being able to help everybody. In the 1st quarter last night we were helpless. Cook and Boyce at corner simply weren't ready for the moment. PJ Locke couldn't cover a parked car, Jones was playing awful and Sterns wasn't playing much better. So we played with 6 DBs to try and give the secondary as much help as possible (it didn't help) and in turn it just opened up the run game as well for Oklahoma State.

We gave up like 260 yards in the 1st quarter and gave up 248 the next 3. We just couldn't stop the avalanche earlier.

57 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I'm going to have to rewatch the game...which will be torture, but to figure out what we were doing. My guess is that the DL was playing similarly to how they have the entire season, and it was the LB's and guys like Locke or Foster that were not in position or at the least not winning their one on one block matchup.

Someone (I don’t remember who or I would credit them) pointed out that the line splits State were using were much different then anything they had used up until last nights game. And that the wider split was causing Texas some trouble defining responsibilities along the point of attack.

The same individual also noted how off balance some Texas defenders appeared to be as the play progressed allowing states guards and tackles to take advantage of this lack of balance and essentially push them out away from the point of attack. This particular fact was noted during the broadcast when the OSU tackle literally pancaked the Texas defensive tackle.

56 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Whose responsibility was the qb on the 3rd and goal from the 12 in the 4th Q?  All we had to do was keep them from scoring a td. Somehow the fucking zone read works for a touchdown?  Fucking horrendous 

Oh man. That was the worst play of the night for me. You knew they had been setting it up all game and i have no idea how that gigantic, shitty QB trundled into the end zone with so much ease.

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Someone (I don’t remember who or I would credit them) pointed out that the line splits State were using were much different then anything they had used up until last nights game. And that the wider split was causing Texas some trouble defining responsibilities along the point of attack.

The same individual also noted how off balance some Texas defenders appeared to be as the play progressed allowing states guards and tackles to take advantage of this lack of balance and essentially push them out away from the point of attack. This particular fact was noted during the broadcast when the OSU tackle literally pancaked the Texas defensive tackle.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Whose responsibility was the qb on the 3rd and goal from the 12 in the 4th Q?  All we had to do was keep them from scoring a td. Somehow the fucking zone read works for a touchdown?  Fucking horrendous 

Foster, who took his sweet time getting off the block.