Big 12 Championship Game Scenarios

903Cougar

Only about a month away and the with the picture clearing up.  Texas would obviously need to beat WVU next week to make that rematch with Mobilehoma,  but if that doesn't happen, I'll throw this possible scenario out there:  

11/23: OU @ WVU  

12/2:  OU vs WVU   

This type of scenario has happened twice before in the Pac 12 (2012)  and in the MWC last year.   

Winning in back to back weeks against the same opponent isn't a given and with the refs screwing over Texas,  the Big 12 may have just screwed itself out of the CFP.  

• Fuck You 1

Just now, taybo20 said:

The reality is, we still control our destiny to the CCG... so while this game sucks ass, this better be used a fucking learning experience that we need to be better and we should strive to be better every week.

Yep. I hope the team doesn't start going headcase on us...I mean more than usual.

5 minutes ago, 903Cougar said:

Only about a month away and the with the picture clearing up.  Texas would obviously need to beat WVU next week to make that rematch with Mobilehoma,  but if that doesn't happen, I'll throw this possible scenario out there:  

11/23: OU @ WVU  

12/2:  OU vs WVU   

This type of scenario has happened twice before in the Pac 12 (2012)  and in the MWC last year.   

Winning in back to back weeks against the same opponent isn't a given and with the refs screwing over Texas,  the Big 12 may have just screwed itself out of the CFP.  

Cool with me. I’d be content with WVU winning over fucking OU.

Those motherfuckers have like 11 conference championships. Also, fuck this conference and I don’t give a single iota of a shit if we don’t have a Big 12 team in the playoff. 

Beat WVU and a Tech loss wouldn't really matter.... if I'm looking at things correctly.  That's assuming OU beats Tech.

It'd be OU with 1 or 2 losses.

Texas with 2 losses.

WVU with 2 or 3 losses.

I'm assuming Texas would win any tiebreaker in this scenario but it is the Big 12 so I"m sure there's some sort of technicality which would fuck us over.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Playoffs was a pipe dream after the Maryland game, but still fun to think about after the past decade.  

But who would have thought the gauntlet of our schedule would be the second half after going through USC, TCU, KSU and OU?  

Those other teams are showing just who they are, and each week our achievements have become less signiificant. The reason OU has been leaned on by the media as the best chance for the B12 to go playoffs is they are beating the shit out of teams.  We are scraping by really mediocre teams and it's finally caught up to us.  

We are a pretty good team with pretty good talent, but we aren't a top 10 or even 15 team right now.   Need more talent and better coaching.  

One thing we have proved this year is OU is a fraud and if they somehow make the playoffs they will get beat badly.  Hopefully we get it together, win the B12 and move on to next year.  

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Beat WVU and a Tech loss wouldn't really matter.... if I'm looking at things correctly.  That's assuming OU beats Tech.

It'd be OU with 1 or 2 losses.

Texas with 2 losses.

WVU with 2 or 3 losses.

I'm assuming Texas would win any tiebreaker in this scenario but it is the Big 12 so I"m sure there's some sort of technicality which would fuck us over.

Beat WV and we will have a great shot of making the Big 12 championship game because we would own tiebreaker against who I perceive are the biggest threats in WV and OU. 

Tech and Iowa State both look improved but I can't see either team running the table so both should end up with 3 losses in the Big 12. 

Assuming we beat WV we would probably only have to win 2/3 against Tech, Iowa State and Kansas. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Playoffs was a pipe dream after the Maryland game, but still fun to think about after the past decade.  

But who would have thought the gauntlet of our schedule would be the second half after going through USC, TCU, KSU and OU?  

Those other teams are showing just who they are, and each week our achievements have become less signiificant. The reason OU has been leaned on by the media as the best chance for the B12 to go playoffs is they are beating the shit out of teams.  We are scraping by really mediocre teams and it's finally caught up to us.  

We are a pretty good team with pretty good talent, but we aren't a top 10 or even 15 team right now.   Need more talent and better coaching.  

One thing we have proved this year is OU is a fraud and if they somehow make the playoffs they will get beat badly.  Hopefully we get it together, win the B12 and move on to next year.  

I’m not sure football guys agree. Riley is doing some really innovative shit that is getting serious attention throughout college and the NFL. He has proven himself to be quite the politician. Nor has he made enemies during his climb. Not to mention that the money people at the stops he has left hold little if any grudge. And to many peoples surprise he appears to be a huge upgrade on Bob. 

To those that matter the second youngest coach in the business came within a play of playing for a national title in his first year. And has continued to demonstrate that his scheme is flexible and can score on anyone. Including hanging almost a half a hundred on a vaunted SEC defense.

Giving the DC job to his mentor and friend Ruffin is going to shape their defense up. They will be an improved unit going forward including a potential rematch with Texas ala’ round II. But, to your point. What ou fans should start worrying about is that the NFL guys are already throwing his name around talking seriously about him. You don’t get that type of attention being a fraud. And beating them now is going to be a little more difficult for anyone they play.

Another scenario still puts HORNS in B12 Championship Game......

BlowU beats Tech (this Saturday)....

AND....

TEXAS wins against WVa, Iowa St, and Kansas..... Horns won't have to Win in Lubbock

Edited by LTtxfan

In the event of a three way tie (which I think is plausible) the first tie breaker is round robin record. If it ends up being 1-1 across the board then it goes to record against 4th place team, then 5th, 6th, & so on until it’s narrowed down to head to head. So losing to Okie Lite might not be the worse thing in world. I think Iowa State is probably on track to be 4th so that is a game we might wanna care about winning. 

22 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Beat coal aggy and we're in, basically.

Wish it were that simple.  Iowa State wins out and they go to B12 CCG before Texas.....

Big12 Overall
Team Record Pct Record Pct
Oklahoma 4-1 .800 7-1 .875
West Virginia 4-1 .800 6-1 .857
Texas 4-1 .800 6-2 .750
Texas Tech 3-2 .600 5-3 .625
Iowa State 3-2 .600 4-3 .571
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Beat coal aggy and we're in, basically.

Beat coal aggy and it sets up what will, in all likelihood, be a play in game vs Iowa State two weeks later. They have Baylor and Kansas over the next two weeks, and KSU the week after. We have Tech - which, in the likely event that they lose to OU would be an essentially meaningless game beyond bragging rights - and then Kansas. 

Of course, my favorite part of this scenario is that our most consequential November home game in who knows how long is on LHN. 

• Like 2

If we win out we are in, that's simple. And we probably have to beat WV, but they have remaining us, OU, OSU and TCU. 

ISU we have to beat.  They have remaining Baylor,  Kansas, UT, KSU, and incarnate word.  They have h2h on WV.  

We basically could lose to tech or KU (fire everyone) as long as we win the rest.  Sucks we lost our cushion in the 1st game of our actual gauntlet this season, and who would have thought USC/KSU/TCU/OU would have been the easier stretch going into this year?

HORNS still have shot at B12 Championship Game....

Scenerio#1

TEXAS beats Tech, ISU, and KU

AND....  BlowU loses 1 more game (Tech, WVU, Okie Lite or KU)

Scenario #2

AND....  West Virginia loses twice (Okie Lite, BlowU, TCU)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

HORNS still have shot at B12 Championship Game....

Scenerio#1

AND....  BlowU loses 1 more game (Tech, WVU, Okie Lite or KU)

Scenario #2

AND....  West Virginia loses twice (Okie Lite, BlowU, TCU)

I believe Santa Claus is real 

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I believe Santa Claus is real 

Good..... Pull for West Texas Dirt Aggies to beat BlowU tonight... that's Scenario #1

HORNS still have shot at B12 Championship Game....

Scenerio#1

AND....  BlowU loses 1 more game (Tech, WVU, Okie Lite, KU)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

We still have an outside shot but it would then be the who gives a fuck major bowl because the Big 12 winner may not even be in the top 10 if BlowU and West Virginia lose one more.

Watch out for Iowa State. They're in contention and getting better every week.  There's a good chance they come to Austin and skullfuck us too.

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

We still have an outside shot but it would then be the who gives a fuck major bowl because the Big 12 winner may not even be in the top 10 if BlowU and West Virginia lose one more.

Watch out for Iowa State. They're in contention and getting better every week.  There's a good chance they come to Austin and skullfuck us too.

Think B12 Champion even with 2 Losses ends up in Sugar Bowl automatically......

2018-2019 College Football Playoff Schedule

College Football Playoff National Championship

Monday, January 7th, 2019
Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
CFP vs. CFP

Goodyear Cotton Bowl

Saturday, December 29th, 2018
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX
CFP vs. CFP

Orange Bowl

Hard Rock Stadium, Miami, FL
CFP vs. CFP

New Year’s Six Bowls Schedule

Rose Bowl

Tuesday, January 1st, 2019
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
Big Ten vs. Pac-12

Fiesta Bowl

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
At-large vs. At-large

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl

Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA
At-large vs. At-large

Sugar Bowl

Tuesday, January 1st, 2019
Mercedes-Benz Stadium, New Orleans, LA
Big 12 vs. SEC

As far as Texas is concerned, there are only two relevant scenarios that will get us into the Big 12 Championship Game, and both of them require us to win out.  So, assuming we win out, these are the two scenarios that will get us into the game:

1) WVU loses to either OkSt or TCU; or

2) WVU beats OU.

In the first scenario, if WVU has another loss going into its game against OU, then Texas will advance regardless of that game's outcome because we will either win the tiebreaker against OU (and play WVU in the ccg) or we will have less conference losses than WVU (and play OU in the ccg).

In the second scenario, if WVU beats OU, we will go to the ccg no matter what because we own the tie breaker against OU.  

27 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

As far as Texas is concerned, there are only two relevant scenarios that will get us into the Big 12 Championship Game, and both of them require us to win out.  So, assuming we win out, these are the two scenarios that will get us into the game:

2) WVU beats OU.

In the first scenario, if WVU has another loss going into its game against OU, then Texas will advance regardless of that game's outcome because we will either win the tiebreaker against OU (and play WVU in the ccg) or we will have less conference losses than WVU (and play OU in the ccg).

In the second scenario, if WVU beats OU, we will go to the ccg no matter what because we own the tie breaker against OU.  

We're not winning out, so it's irrelevant

29 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

2) WVU beats OU.

I think any rematch with OU is going to wind up with a loss for us at this point. This shit always falls perfectly for OU.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

We're not winning out, so it's irrelevant

And this -- so it makes my first comment moot.

23 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think any rematch with OU is going to wind up with a loss for us at this point. This shit always falls perfectly for OU.

And this -- so it makes my first comment moot.

I think we actually have a shot to win out. Tech is playing their backup QB who is a huge step down from their starter, which should give us a solid chance in that game. ISU is at home and will be a tough matchup but one that is winnable if we play as good offensively as we did against WVU, and Kansas to close out the year who will throw everything imaginable at us but shouldn't matter. Our offense seems to be rounding into form over the past few games into an effective unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xcalibur said:

2) WVU beats OU.

Honestly -- neither of these two are really super far fetched.

I could see OU losing to WVU in Morgantown.  They probably would have lost to Tech in Lubbock if Bowman hadn't been injured so it could happen.

And the way our season is going, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were to beat WVU at home after losing to fucking Baylor and then (I'm assuming) getting skullfucked by OU in Norman.

Edited by oSuJeff97

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Honestly -- neither of these two are really super far fetched.

I could see OU losing to WVU in Morgantown.  They probably would have lost to Tech in Lubbock if Bowman hadn't been injured so it could happen.

And the way our season is going, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were to beat WVU at home after losing to fucking Baylor and then (I'm assuming) getting skullfucked by OU in Norman.

Yeah, it's in UT's interest to root for OkSt from here on out.  If you guys beat OU or WVU, that opens the door for Texas to appear in the ccg.

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think we actually have a shot to win out. Tech is playing their backup QB who is a huge step down from their starter, which should give us a solid chance in that game. ISU is at home and will be a tough matchup but one that is winnable if we play as good offensively as we did against WVU, and Kansas to close out the year who will throw everything imaginable at us but shouldn't matter. Our offense seems to be rounding into form over the past few games into an effective unit.

No we don't, we lost by 1 to West Virginia, season is over. Pack it up and decline the bowl invite.../sarcasm

3 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Yeah, it's in UT's interest to root for OkSt from here on out.  If you guys beat OU or WVU, that opens the door for Texas to appear in the ccg.

We're not beating OU.  That's going to be a bloodbath.  But we'll have a shot against WVU.  We tend to play pretty well against them for whatever reason.

I can't think of a scenario that doesn't either require every other team falling apart in the last month or winning out.

OU beats WVU

If Texas wins out = Texas v OU CCG

If ISU wins out = ISU v OU CCG

WVU beats OU 

If Texas wins out = Texas v WVU CCG

If ISU wins out = OU vs WVU CCG

Ok, there is a shot but I don’t think it’s likely. I feel we drop at least one of the final three.

19 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I can't think of a scenario that doesn't either require every other team falling apart in the last month or winning out.

OU beats WVU

If Texas wins out = Texas v OU CC

Wouldn't that put OU-WVU in the CC? OU has one loss, WVU and Texas have two losses and WVU owns the head-to-head tiebreak -- yes?