Make no mistake - Todd Orlando Fucking Sucks

Fat Bastard

3 minutes ago, TexTexTex said:

Yea, he is a better backup than Boyce, but I was just trying to figure out what the biggest drop off from last year to this year and just don't think that Bonney is close for the reason.  I think we have to have elite LB play and we are not getting that with Wheeler.

It will be a lot of new guys next year though  The whole DL graduates, both LB, both corners, Locke.  Minimum 8 new starters

I think depth is an issue for sure. I would agree that Bonney isn’t the biggest drop off. But the difference between Bonney and a guy like Boyce is big. Bonney was a utility DB that we moved around a lot. 

I'm cautiously pessimistic going into the Tech game.

We were willing to go light in the box against two really good passing offenses and they were able to make us pay for it. 

But we were able to keep the light box and bring edge pressure in the 2nd half of OKSt and largely stopped the bleeding. 

WVU was able to punish aggressiveness with solid presnap quarterbacking and really good QB and WR play.  Having Hager and Jones out might have been the difference.  Davis, too, but Cook plays with little to no drop off and I didn't notice him (in a good way).

The thing about Elliott vs Jones/Bonney is that Elliott could play any safety/nickel position at a  high level and probably would have no problem at DB either.  We don't get that from Jones, Bonney, Locke, or Sterns.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I'm cautiously pessimistic going into the Tech game.

We were willing to go light in the box against two really good passing offenses and they were able to make us pay for it. 

But we were able to keep the light box and bring edge pressure in the 2nd half of OKSt and largely stopped the bleeding. 

WVU was able to punish aggressiveness with solid presnap quarterbacking and really good QB and WR play.  Having Hager and Jones out might have been the difference.  Davis, too, but Cook plays with little to no drop off and I didn't notice him (in a good way).

The thing about Elliott vs Jones/Bonney is that Elliott could play any safety/nickel position at a  high level and probably would have no problem at DB either.  We don't get that from Jones, Bonney, Locke, or Sterns.

This. We will be blitzing all day long against Tech. With Bowman out its going to be all about stopping the run and the quick screen game. Tech has lost at least one OL and at least one more playing injured. They are as beat up as we are.

4 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

Bonney wasn't good enough to start on the team this year and Hill missed the last 5 games when the D was still playing well....

Yeah I don't know about that. I'd go with "Bonney didn't look as athletic as freshmen in practice." With the amount of confusion and bone-headed plays we've seen this year, we could've certainly used some help back there from a guy whose main positive was his brain (since he wasn't the most athletic). He was also a solid tackler. Instead we get Locke forgetting to get set for plays, multiple guys refusing to tackle and every game we get a new receiver running wide-ass open for bombs. Running him off of a team with a thin depth chart full of guys who still haven't mastered coverages in our scheme was a short-sighted move.

Edited by BurdineBandit

9 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This is my issue with the safety alignment on the last play. Why is Caden so close to the line. It's like we're trying to prevent a 1st down instead of a TD. 

https://imgur.com/pEsayfn

We were trying to prevent a 1st.  Shouldn't have mattered. He had enough room to turn and run so as not to get beat deep... he actually defended pretty well and the throw and catch was perfect. It was a winner for the offense.

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This is my issue with the safety alignment on the last play. Why is Caden so close to the line. It's like we're trying to prevent a 1st down instead of a TD. 

https://imgur.com/pEsayfn

Quick answer is that the other two safeties were deep and he's playing the TE from the robber position.  Man-2 is what we are showing or possibly Tampa 2.

Long answer for what went wrong that play: we were disguising a corner blitz from the far side.  When the corner blitzes, the far safety rolls to cloud and the near safety (not on camera) rolls deep to the far side.

I believe it's a Cover 6 Special.  The other two safeties double the single WR.  Boyd takes his man iso.  Thompson/Caden are playing match coverage on the slot and TE.  When the TE doesn't release up field, Caden should be robbing the slot while Thompson plays over the top.

Not being set in the front allows them to pick up the blitz easily.  Thompson gets burned, and it's just a great throw and better catch.

• Like 2

Defensive players are confused a lot.  Wheeler has lost his confidence and playing scared like he has PTSD.....

I don't think Gary Johnson has really learned this Defense.... only his 2nd year and Malik helped him a lot last year.  

This current Defense has no TRUE Senior leaders that are worth a shit..... No fun saying it, but it's the TRUTH....

The games against WVY and OSU where his worst games I've seen him coach. He made better adjustments today, but by the 4th quarter. We had a bunch freshmen and something similar to a walk-on running around in our secondary. That's a coaches nightmare in college football, much less the big 12.

Get Orlando his guys, and then judge him. He's working with Charlie's rejects. We have little talent in the trenches, if at all. Our best on defense is Gary Johnson. Boyd and Davis either suck or are liabilities. We've recruited well for the DB's. We have two guys (so far) who will get legit playing time next season. Let's wait and see how well he is in year 3-4 when Charlie's recruits aren't squatting our scholly limits.

13 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Get Orlando his guys, and then judge him. He's working with Charlie's rejects. We have little talent in the trenches, if at all. Our best on defense is Gary Johnson. Boyd and Davis either suck or are liabilities. We've recruited well for the DB's. We have two guys (so far) who will get legit playing time next season. Let's wait and see how well he is in year 3-4 when Charlie's recruits aren't squatting our scholly limits.

fine but quite giving the dude 600K raises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is a solid tradition here to burn coordinators at the stake, but the fact is, we have severe and specific personnel problems that are not fixable this season, no matter who is calling the plays on defense. The regression is fucking remarkable but maybe it shouldn't be such a surprise when you look at the individual parts.

Now that we are clearly past the "oh nos, Orlando gonna get hired away" phase, a better question is, what will improve next season? The Defensive backfield should be better. Hopefully, Brandon Jones ignores the idiot agents telling him to go pro, and returns. We will have Sterns, Foster, Cook, Green, and Jones at DB. That should be a strength. We will have Roach back playing DE. What does the LB corps look like, minus Gary Johnson, and what does the rest of the DL look like?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Funny how the diatribe has flipped from Beck to Orlando since the beginning of the season. 180 degrees lol!

Reactionary fans are not really all that smart, they think they are but in the end they are no better than drunken animals.

I thought Charlie needed to go after just his second game, difference is that I reached the conclusion rationally and was pretty much correct. Same for Rick Barnes after 04.

I do wish we had Greg Robinson on the back pocket again though, that was the greatest panic fix I have ever seen on defense.

Edited by linux
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It is a solid tradition here to burn coordinators at the stake, but the fact is, we have severe and specific personnel problems that are not fixable this season, no matter who is calling the plays on defense. The regression is fucking remarkable but maybe it shouldn't be such a surprise when you look at the individual parts.

Now that we are clearly past the "oh nos, Orlando gonna get hired away" phase, a better question is, what will improve next season? The Defensive backfield should be better. Hopefully, Brandon Jones ignores the idiot agents telling him to go pro, and returns. We will have Sterns, Foster, Cook, Green, and Jones at DB. That should be a strength. We will have Roach back playing DE. What does the LB corps look like, minus Gary Johnson, and what does the rest of the DL look like?

Good coaches adapt their scheme to the available personnel's weaknesses and strengths.

13 minutes ago, linux said:

Reactionary fans are not really all that smart, they think they are but in the end they are no better than drunken animals.

I thought Charlie needed to go after just his second game, difference is that I reached the conclusion rationally and was pretty much correct. Same for Rick Barnes after 04.

I do wish we had Greg Robinson on the back pocket again though, that was the greatest panic fix I have ever seen on defense.

I’m with you 100% on this, however, I was sure about Charlie after suffering through his nervous, sweaty, deer in the headlights look in his introductory pc.