Horns Down

Helobious

The Horns Down  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be a penalty?

• Stop being an easily offended snowflake, it shouldn't be a penalty when an opposing player does it
    • Fuck you, it's textbook taunting & worthy of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

If throat-slashing or the middle finger is a taunt, horns-down is a taunt.

Now if they want to remove the taunting rule, I'm fine with that.  But as long as the taunting rule is in place, horns-down is a taunt.  This is simple stuff really.

Horns down is not even close to the middle finger or throat slashing gestures.

Regardless of if its a taunt or not (it definitely is) or if it should be penalized, it’s just stupid to fire up your opponent and Horns down is the easiest way to do that. Even if we don’t play WV again this year, we will play them next year. Why give a team free bulletin board material? Holgerson should realize this and put a stop to it. 

Regardless of if its a taunt or not (it definitely is) or if it should be penalized, it’s just stupid to fire up your opponent and Horns down is the easiest way to do that. Even if we don’t play WV again this year, we will play them next year. Why give a team free bulletin board material? Holgerson should realize this and put a stop to it. 
You really think that means anything? Teams and fans have been doing it forever, even in games we aren't playing in. I don't see how that will fire you up. Wanting to win a big conference game should fire them up enough.

1 hour ago, former alkie said:

I feel sorry for the kids whose parents think horns down is a taunt.

These kids will grow up, get a job, and cry like tits when they don’t get exemplary performance evaluations.....even though they’re just spare employees.

Jesus, what this wimpy ass country has become.....sad.

If we aren’t going to accurately call taunts taunts, then there is no point having a rule. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, former alkie said:

These kids will grow up, get a job, and cry like tits when they don’t get exemplary performance evaluations.....even though they’re just spare employees.

Maybe you should get a dictionary and look up the term taunt if you don’t think Horns down is a taunt. It’s literally used to taunt Texas. Teams don’t do it when they play other teams, they do it against us. Hence why it’s a taunt.

Big 12 Assistant Commissioner Bob Burda said the penalty for the "horns down" hand signal is "solely at the official's discretion" and he is unaware of whether teams have been warned not to do it when playing Texas.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/11/03/grier-2-point-conversion-run-sends-west-virginia-over-texas/38385097/

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You really think that means anything? Teams and fans have been doing it forever, even in games we aren't playing in. I don't see how that will fire you up. Wanting to win a big conference game should fire them up enough.

Did you see Sam’s tweet? It should fire up anyone that actually gives a sh*t 

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Maybe you should get a dictionary and look up the term taunt if you don’t think Horns down is a taunt. It’s literally used to taunt Texas. Teams don’t do it when they play other teams, they do it against us. Hence why it’s a taunt.

Thank you for unintentionally supporting my original point.

People are so g-damn sensitive, and easily offended...it borders on embarrassing.

10 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Did you see Sam’s tweet? It should fire up anyone that actually gives a sh*t 

I give a shit about winning and losing on the field, not what fans and players are doing with their hands. But as I stated, the Horns down has been going on forever. Why was yesterday a big deal to cause Sam to tweet something? Would he have tweeted that if we won? Probably not. So win the games and that other shit doesn't matter. 

2 minutes ago, former alkie said:

Thank you for unintentionally supporting my original point.

People are so g-damn sensitive, and easily offended...it borders on embarrassing.

Lol you’re not making sense my dude. You said it wasn’t a taunt. I didn’t mention anything about being offended or not. Personally I can careless who does it or why but it’s a taunt

12 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Good job, Bob.  wonder what other taunts are solely at the officials discretion. how about a list of ones that aren't solely at the officials discretion?  This conf sucks and is full of fucking idiots at every level.

• Like 1

also, the Missouri QB probably could have avoided it by not being a cockfag with a celebration dance

what is so hard about celebrating without taunting or premeditation/choreography?

I phrased that with a buncha them big words so as to confuse and anger our Sooner brethren

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

also, the Missouri QB probably could have avoided it by not being a cockfag with a celebration dance

what is so hard about celebrating without taunting or premeditation/choreography?

I phrased that with a buncha them big words so as to confuse and anger our Sooner brethren

Ask Tom Herman or Sam Ehlinger. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Horns down is not even close to the middle finger or throat slashing gestures.

Its intent is the same, it's exactly the same.  You may continue being wrong if you like, though.

I'm fine with eliminating the taunting rule.  It's a snowflake rule in a man's sport. But as long as it's a rule, then horns-down is a taunt.  This is easy stuff.  Getting it wrong is a sign of stupidity.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Constant said:

I’d like to see a Venn diagram of people who are upset about this but also thought this was cool or dope:

it was after this that everyone was on the Herman Bandwagon.... 

definitely not a double standard. 

20 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

If we aren’t going to accurately call taunts taunts, then there is no point having a rule. 

There is no point in having the rule.  Let 'em celebrate and if you're on the wrong end of the play, remember you could've done something to prevent it.  

• Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, Whatever said:

There is no point in having the rule.  Let 'em celebrate and if you're on the wrong end of the play, remember you could've done something to prevent it.  

Well, it is a rule, so the horns down should draw a flag every single time. The rule doesn't say shit about giving up TDs.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Its intent is the same, it's exactly the same.  You may continue being wrong if you like, though.

I'm fine with eliminating the taunting rule.  It's a snowflake rule in a man's sport. But as long as it's a rule, then horns-down is a taunt.  This is easy stuff.  Getting it wrong is a sign of stupidity.

just make the rule that anything that is not done towards an opposing player or towards the opposing sideline is fair game.  list obscene gestures that are not allowed.  done.  quit putting more "decisions" in the hands of incompetent officials.

• Like 1

and right after the touchdown start the 40sec clock.  a few of delay penalties when you need 2pts might encourage coaches to tell there players to quit fucking around in the endzone.

I also don't think we need explanations for every damn penalty. give the signal and mark it off.

22 hours ago, former alkie said:

I mean it might not be make me cry but it is obviously a taunt. Is using logic and common sense make one a wimp? I don't get the argument. I mean maybe you are so tough that having a steel pipe knock your teeth out doesn't phase you a bit. Your face has been smashed so many times that it barely registers. But it is still assault right?

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

just make the rule that anything that is not done towards an opposing player or towards the opposing sideline is fair game.  list obscene gestures that are not allowed.  done.  quit putting more "decisions" in the hands of incompetent officials.

Totally agree with this.

17 hours ago, Constant said:

I’d like to see a Venn diagram of people who are upset about this but also thought this was cool or dope:

I liked the fact that Herman has an edge to him and does shit like that. We probably need some of that around here.

But it was obviously taunting. I would have had no problem with a flag being thrown.

Based on the current taunting rules:

Opposing players throwing the horns down to Texas fans/players/coaches should be a penalty.

Opposing players throwing the horns down to their own fans/teammates/coaches should not be a penalty.

Texas players throwing the horns up to opposing fans/players/coaches should be a penalty.

Texas players throwing the horns up to their own fans/teammates/coaches should not be a penalty.

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

Opposing players throwing the horns down to Texas fans/players/coaches should be a penalty.

Opposing players throwing the horns down to their own fans/teammates/coaches should not be a penalty.

Texas players throwing the horns up to opposing fans/players/coaches should be a penalty.

Texas players throwing the horns up to their own fans/teammates/coaches should not be a penalty.

Basically.

3 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

here's one for you.  say your school doesn't have a hand sign/motion. how about facing opposing fans and running your hand across the jersey where your school name is? why is that different than horns up, guns up, bear claw, whatever? the whole thing is ridiculous. 

21 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

here's one for you.  say your school doesn't have a hand sign/motion. how about facing opposing fans and running your hand across the jersey where your school name is? why is that different than horns up, guns up, bear claw, whatever? the whole thing is ridiculous. 

It doesn't have to be a school-specific hand gesture.  I think it's pretty clear when a player is taunting opposing fans/players/coaches with a gesture, and thus draws a penalty, based on current rules.

If a players is blatantly looking directly at some form of the opposition (fans/players/coaches) and makes the quiet sign/throat slit gesture/points to the name on his jersey/runs his hand across the school name on the jersey, it's a penalty. 

If you think that's taking the fun out of college football fine, complain to the NCAA and have them change the rule.

Edited by Captain Obvious

Here's the actual rule so that at least y'all know what you're arguing about.

SECTION 2. Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls

ARTICLE 1. Unsportsmanlike Acts

There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players, substitutes, coaches, authorised attendants or any other persons subject to the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods. Infractions for these acts by players are administered as either live-ball or dead-ball fouls depending on when they occur. (A.R. 9-2-1:I-X)

1. Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include:

PENALTY –
    Live-ball fouls by players: 15 yards [S27]. Live-ball fouls by non-players and all dead-ball fouls: 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27]. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified [S47].

1. No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited to:

1. Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or imitating the slashing of the throat.
      2. Taunting, baiting or ridiculing an opponent verbally.
      3. Inciting an opponent or spectators in any other way, such as simulating the firing of a weapon or placing a hand by the ear to request recognition.
      4. Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).
      5. An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.
      6. A player removing his helmet after the ball is dead and before he is in the team area (Exceptions:Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).
      7. Punching one’s own chest or crossing one’s arms in front of the chest while standing over a prone player.
      8. Going into the stands to interact with spectators, or bowing at the waist after a good play.
      9. Intentionally removing the helmet while the ball is alive.
      10. Dead-ball contact fouls such as pushing, shoving, striking, etc. that occur clearly after the ball is dead and that are not part of the game action. (A.R. 9-2-1:X)
      11. After the ball is dead, using forcible contact to push or pull an opponent off the pile. (A.R. 9-2-1:XI)