Horns Down

Helobious

The Horns Down  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be a penalty?

• Stop being an easily offended snowflake, it shouldn't be a penalty when an opposing player does it
    • Fuck you, it's textbook taunting & worthy of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

33 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm assuming the league has contacted wvu with a reprimand for flying the UT flag upside down at the ou game? 

Since, you know, we're all into reprimands now. 

Oh, I'm sure the league office is putting its best men on it.  Working in shifts.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:36 PM, Juicy said:

Fuck barstool. But yes, it’s pretty clear most of CFB fans are not on Texas’ side about this issue.

8 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I've never understood what is so insulting about a downward pointed hook 'em gesture.  That just looks like a longhorn charging someone to me.  But intent is everything, and it should definitely be considered taunting when a player does it. 

Totally off-topic thing this reminds me of: The first time I saw the Wall Street bull I thought it looked like a bull that had been sprinting and was trying to stop itself suddenly. Very odd pose for a “charging” bull.

I'm not much for any sort of spectacle outside of patting a teammate on the back or slapping his helmet.  All of this "Look at me!" self aggrandizement or "In your face!" taunting seems juvenile and contrary to what many claim athletics is supposed to engender in the participants.  So I am against "Horns Any Which Way" when flashed at an opposing team.  Plus, everybody stay off my lawn and if your ball goes over the fence and into my yard, you don't get it back until I tell you how hard I had it when I was your age.

I think the conference, as is not uncommon, took the stupid position. Who gives a shit if our rivals talk shit to us...whether verbally (speaking of, it’s 10:19 and OU still sucks) or otherwise (lazy reverse hand signs). Just win or shut the fuck up from either side.

c05f351e54bdf50f5aa0964163d8cd38.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Fuck off. I can’t even imagine making the inversion of my rival’s handsign my school’s handsign. Such trashy people repping a trashy, third rate school. 

Yet I would imagine it doesn’t bother you at all that you change the words to your schools fight song in order to put down a rival. 

3 minutes ago, mdleast said:

I think the conference, as is not uncommon, took the stupid position. Who gives a shit if our rivals talk shit to us...whether verbally (speaking of, it’s 10:19 and OU still sucks) or otherwise (lazy reverse hand signs). Just win or shut the fuck up from either side.

Agreed..! I love this rivalry.!!

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Yet I would imagine it doesn’t bother you at all that you change the words to your schools fight song in order to put down a rival. 

For one game a year (two this year)? You’re right. Doesn’t bother me. 

Our players aren’t singing it on the field, and it has nothing to do with the taunting penalty.

I also can’t imagine have such a piece of shit for a coach that he would actually ask the league about it. Hello Lincoln and Holgo. 

8 minutes ago, mdleast said:

If it’s a penalty, it should be enforced. I’m sick of watching blatant penalties go uncalled (like OU’s incessant holding).

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, mdleast said:

So much this.

I’m sure we can get past this nasty business of taunting and supposed poor sportsmanship.

I mean right here is a perfect example we can all aspire to. Look at how that fine young gentleman is helping out the poor midget retarded kid who has seemingly taken some abuse to his cranial facial area.

230db1f776c07ff40ad648a923f4aaae.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

You do or do not think that fans are held to a different standard than players and coaches?

fans can taunt all they want. 

There’s a reason Hager got reprimanded for saying ou sucks.  If he says it to a player on Saturday it would draw a penalty. 

Change the taunting rule, eliminate it, or enforce it. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You do or do not think that fans are held to a different standard than players and coaches?

fans can taunt all they want. 

There’s a reason Hager got reprimanded for saying ou sucks.  If he says it to a player on Saturday it would draw a penalty. 

Change the taunting rule, eliminate it, or enforce it. 

You sound ok with Hager getting reprimanded?  I honestly haven't talked to a single sooner fan that thought he should have been.  The league is soft af.  The XII already has a perception problem.  The truth is this conference was easily second best on the year as far as the teams but you'll never hear that from the talking heads.  Instead our league office and officials make news for being complete fucking idiots. 

• Like 3

Didn’t read the thread because idgaf if unoriginal hillbillies can’t make up their own signs and feel self-important when they use our awesome Horns incorrectly. Fuck ‘em.
btw.... I did finally learn the words to that annoying ass song ou plays every time they score, get a first down, or someone gets up to take a piss. Read on if you care.

Took the wheels off my trailer
Dukes of Hazard’s on at 5
A tornado took my pickup
And my cousin is my wife
Goober goober goober goober

Pretty sure that’s all correct.

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

For one game a year (two this year)? You’re right. Doesn’t bother me. 

Our players aren’t singing it on the field, and it has nothing to do with the taunting penalty.

I also can’t imagine have such a piece of shit for a coach that he would actually ask the league about it. Hello Lincoln and Holgo. 

Haha ok.

Pretty sure Lincoln just wanted clarification if it’s gonna be a penalty this Saturday. It can be hard to keep up with what will be offensive this week. 

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Zavala said:

They can do horns down as long as they keep their hands out of Hagers asshole. How did they not call a penelty on that and throw the guy out of the game?

They actually threw a flag for unnecessary roughness on Hager that had to be picked up when he was informed of the fumble. So he was for sure looking at Hager when it happened. 

And I think taunting is part of the game and should be allowed as should td celebrations. 

So change the rules. But if they’re your rules, enforce them. 

47 minutes ago, Constant said:

Pretty sure Lincoln just wanted clarification if it’s gonna be a penalty this Saturday. It can be hard to keep up with what will be offensive this week. 

It is not a matter of it being offensive but it does make good sense to get clarification on this sort of thing.

Though I do not that this penalty had never been called before Holgo started asking about it. Kind of weird.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You sound ok with Hager getting reprimanded?  I honestly haven't talked to a single sooner fan that thought he should have been.  The league is soft af.  The XII already has a perception problem.  The truth is this conference was easily second best on the year as far as the teams but you'll never hear that from the talking heads.  Instead our league office and officials make news for being complete fucking idiots. 

I don't get the reprimand thing at all. I mean I would get it if he was attacking some OU players personally or something but he clearly was just joking around. But that is a different thing from a written rule in black and white like taunting that results in a 15 yard penalty. And hey if you don't enforce the horns down taunt, which is fine by me, then let UT do similar shit without flagging us.

Edited by Valmy77

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't get the reprimand thing at all. I mean I would get it if he was attacking some OU players personally or something but he clearly was just joking around. But that is a different thing from a written rule in black and white like taunting that results in a 15 yard penalty. And hey if you don't enforce the horns down taunt, which is fine by me, then let UT do similar shit without flagging us.

I think if you do it to a Texas player, you get flagged.  If you're going to the end zone and just throw them up to the crowd, no flag.  But that's just me.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think if you do it to a Texas player, you get flagged.  If you're going to the end zone and just throw them up to the crowd, no flag.  But that's just me.  

Well it is only ever been flagged once ever so I am not really clear on the nuances.

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Also wasn't this an OU thing?  I don't think even aggy did it.  The 'sips' and saw em off shit is 100x as dumb imo.  'Sips' makes my skin crawl and I'm obviously not a Texas fan. 

Is it a recent thing that every team in the XII seems to have co-opted the horns down?  

A&M does it now. Or at least their pitcher did when he beat us in the Baseball regionals back in 2014 (Fortunately Texas then beat them the next day to send them home)

Every single team we play does the Horns Down in and out of conference. I have no idea how long it has been going on or who started it. The Miami Hurricanes were doing it enthusiastically during the 1991 Cotton Bowl so it has been around a long time.

miami-texas-cotton-bowl2.jpg

Edited by Valmy77

Its the same with the horns down...hager was reprimanded because he broke a rule;no one liked it but its a rule; same with horns down it is taunting by the letter of the rule and as been mention texas players have been flagged for horns up/guns down

Change the rule or enforce it is the argument...thats it

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think doing anything in the opponent’s end to taunt their fans is trashy. It made Will Grier and his buttbuddies look like complete imbeciles. I’d say the same thing if it were one of our players.

If your douchebags want to go throw the horns down in your end zone with your white trash fans, more power to them. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

How about this?

Tom got caught up in the moment and was mocking Mizzou’s dipshit QB after Mizzou’s players had been taunting our players all week. Tom wasn’t on their sideline, in their end zone, or in any of their players’ or coaches’ faces, so I don’t need really think it compares to the horns down, at least the way WV was doing it  

But if the refs had seen fit to call a penalty there, I would have understood and wouldn’t even have complained. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Tom got caught up in the moment and was mocking Mizzou’s dipshit QB after Mizzou’s players had been taunting our players all week. Tom wasn’t on their sideline, in their end zone, or in any of their players’ or coaches’ faces, so I don’t need really think it compares to the horns down, at least the way WV was doing it  

But if the refs had seen fit to call a penalty there, I would have understood and wouldn’t even have complained. 

Agreed. If they called the penalty, it would not have bothered me. And their QB was a dipshit. This just made me think about getting caught in the emotion of the moment, and that football is a pretty damn good sport for getting caught in the moment. Horns down does not bother me.

The proper response is to Mossy Cade or Westbrook their asses every single possible play.

I do have a problem with WVU’s obsession with it. I mean, their coach asked about it before the game. Multiple players threw it during the game, resulting in two penalties, then they showed what complete fucksticks they are by using it as a play signal the next week. That’s low class. Really says a lot about Dana Holgorsen. 

• Fuck You 1