Horns Down

Helobious

The Horns Down  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be a penalty?

• Stop being an easily offended snowflake, it shouldn't be a penalty when an opposing player does it
    • Fuck you, it's textbook taunting & worthy of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

Like everything with unsportsmanlike it's a grey area. If they just throw it up it's no big deal, everybody loves to hate the big boys. 

If they wave it in Texas players, cheerleaders, cowboys/spurs faces, they deserve the unsportsmanlike. If they are taunting people with it they should get the penalty. 

• Like 4

Just now, TKthunder2 said:

Didn’t we get called for something similar a few years ago when someone holstered finger guns against Tech?

Mike Davis to the crowd.  once that happened I was all in on flagging any horns down.  its a slippery slope.  if they get to do it then we get to do whatever the hell we want.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Like everything with unsportsmanlike it's a grey area. If they just throw it up it's no big deal, everybody loves to hate the big boys. 

If they wave it in Texas players, cheerleaders, cowboys/spurs faces, they deserve the unsportsmanlike. If they are taunting people with it they should get the penalty. 

I didn't agree with the call on Sills in the first quarter after he did it. But when multiple WVU players did it & were yelling at the crowd after Grier ran in the 2-pointer, I agreed with the flag on that. Classless hicks.

The only point in doing it is to taunt the opposing team; it should absolutely be a penalty. As should thumbs down against A&M, guns down against Tech, sarcastic gator chomps against Florida, etc.

The only exception to doing an opponent's hand sign upside down being a penalty should be Texas doing horns up against Oklahoma.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

If a Texas player horns up into an opponents face/fans/coaches is it a penalty?  If so, theres your answer.

Are you a dumbass? Horns up is our hand sign and celebrating our team. Horns down is meant to mock us, which is textbook taunting. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I dgaf either way but if you are going to enforce taunting there should be a clear line and the only way to have a clear line is if you enforce taunts like 'horns down.'

exactly.  its not our fault the NCAA opened up pandora's box.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Taunting the fans, no flag.

taunting at the players or coaches, flag it.

roy williams got a flag once for slapping our own fans hands after a TD at HOME.  NCAA opened the box.  it took them about 15 years to apply it equally to us.  

It's not a "special" taunting, but it's taunting.  Not because it's "worse" to UT fans than any other thing (finger pointing, throat slashing, etc.).  But it's one form of unsportsman like conduct.  So yes.

Hell I say on any type of score, there should be a  "flagrant" taunting and if you do it, the score is wiped off.  No fucking excuse for being an asshole.  Make the dickwad who taunts openly have to explain to the team how he just cost them that game.  Bet he don't taunt anymore.

couple of years ago, i saw a tennessee player actually ejected for a doing the gator chomp to fans in the swamp after a td.

similarly, i saw a miami player get an unsportsmanlike at fsu for doing the tomahawk chop or whatever.

if they call that, call it.  horns down isn't a unique exception beyond the fact that every team we play seems to do it.

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The only point in doing it is to taunt the opposing team; it should absolutely be a penalty. As should thumbs down against A&M, guns down against Tech, sarcastic gator chomps against Florida, etc.

The only exception to doing an opponent's hand sign upside down being a penalty should be Texas doing horns up against Oklahoma.

I'm trying to picture a sarcastic gator chomp.

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

They do it. It doesn't get called. 

It would be like if a Gator player scored then did the semi-hole "chop", it's a shitty move.

Yea, most teams that score against us in the swamp will do a chomp and then a throat slash to the end zone crowd, never gets called. Only time I’ve seen an opposing chomp called is when they have done it directly in a players face, and even that isn’t automatic unless the guy is over the top with it. 

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, most teams that score against us in the swamp will do a chomp and then a throat slash to the end zone crowd, never gets called. Only time I’ve seen an opposing chomp called is when they have done it directly in a players face, and even that isn’t automatic unless the guy is over the top with it. 

Yup. I don't fuckin care though because the swamp is so fucking hostile, they are just begging to get it even worse. 

Not like DKR, full of weekend warrior fans and their families. 

I'm surprised they haven't' made a big push to change the "make em eat shit" part of our fight song lol

Even if you don't believe it should be, WV deserved every flag they got for it. The fact that Holgorsen talked to the officials before the game about doing the horns down is mind blowing. He actually talked to the refs about disrespecting our team before the game. He's a piece of shit in my book. 

From ESPN

Mountaineers coach Dana Holgorsen said afterward that he was "disappointed" the penalty was called, saying he had "communicated with the refs" beforehand about whether the gesture would be flagged.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25168332/west-virginia-mountaineers-david-sills-v-draws-taunting-penalty-giving-double-horns-gesture-texas-longhorns

If taunting is going to be a penalty than the horns down should be a penalty. But they need to be consistent on stuff like this so people know the rules, suddenly penalizing it when people have been doing it for years is shitty. But arbitrary bullshit is pretty common in football officiating (though not as common as it is in basketball officiating).

Edited by Valmy77

Some of you are fucking snowflakes.   Taunting is standing over a downed player and yelling at them, or running past the other sideline and yelling shit.   Making some hand sign as you score a touchdown is not taunting.  That was such a bullshit call, as was the call to toss the starting lineman.   I was embarrassed to be on the receiving end of that. 

• Fuck You 7

5 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Some of you are fucking snowflakes.   Taunting is standing over a downed player and yelling at them, or running past the other sideline and yelling shit.   Making some hand sign as you score a touchdown is not taunting.  That was such a bullshit call, as was the call to toss the starting lineman.   I was embarrassed to be on the receiving end of that. 

If it’s not taunting, nothing is. It is taunting by definition. It is solely done to ridicule the opponent, no matter how dense you may be. 

• Like 2

I love seeing it. It’s a foolproof indicator an inferiority complex, insecurity, and being more concerned about our status than their own. All of those behaviors detract from their focusness and let us know we are in their heads. It may not always give us enough advantage to pull off a win but it sure never hurts us.   It disgusting, disrespectful, and childish and I wish we saw it happen EVERY SINGLE GAME.  

• Like 2