2018 Fishing - Year of the big one

fattyflattie

I’ve managed to avoid the shark, ray, pelican hookups at this point, but I rarely if ever bottom fish with bait on the beach. I’ll probably set out the big rods the rest of the week while trying to sight fish snook so maybe that run will end soon.

I did see a first for me tonight. We were walking back in from fishing and a guy was fly fishing on the beach and casting parallel down the water line. We gave him plenty of space but an old guy walking didn’t do the same and ended up with the fly sunk into the back of his leg. He was pissed. I felt bad for th fly fisherman because he was casting right down the water line and there shouldn’t have been an issue.

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

Yikes! Did he hit the lure or a fish you were bringing in? I had a hawk pick up a ladyfish as soon as i landed it a few months ago. Hook came out quickly while he was taking off but for a second I panicked not knowing what to do if he got wrapped up in the line or even hooked himself. Bastard then dropped my fish back in the water too

I was a complete dumbass. We were fishing next to this little island that was covered by thousands of birds. I decided that I wanted to throw a top water. Didn’t twitch it once before he was on it. Fortunately, he was only hooked by one hook of the two trebles and it was at the tip of his beak. The spook jr went back into the box. 

If you ever have a ray on, just drag them up, flip them on their back.  Grab your pliers and pull out their barb (be aware they can often have a second one already growing in)  They'll grow another back quickly. 

Use pliers to get the hook out as they do have teeth and a very strong jaw designed for crushing.  

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Definitely saw a guy hook himself in the back of the head while trying to fly fish.

It can happen at any time when you're throwing streamers or weighted flies.  Any time I'm casting anything heavy I try to come back in a sidearm motion and then roll over and up to an overhead cast.   Helps keep the fly from jerking to a halt in your backcast and means a lot less chucking and ducking.

There are only two types of fly fishermen: those that have buried a hook in their head, and those that will some day bury a hook in their head.

I’m in the latter group, although I have buried a fly in my nipple. Was on a log and fishing upstream, let the fly float too long and put in a roll cast directly below below me. Felt good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

I gotta start wearing more shirts with large fish on them if this is going to be the result......

We call that his big fish shirt. That’s the shirt he was wearing in Louisiana last fall when he caught a 34”, a 32”’ and a 34” black drum. 

7 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Wind howling, made it through the small boat cut at the jetty to see off color water, turned around and fished the bayous around blue buck point on sabine lake.

Caught 10 rat reds and called it a day.

At least I got to go.

Don't care, had fish. Amirite?

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Wind howling, made it through the small boat cut at the jetty to see off color water, turned around and fished the bayous around blue buck point on sabine lake.

Caught 10 rat reds and called it a day.

At least I got to go.

I’m sitting at a swim meet for 11-14 year olds, so I don’t want to hear it

Fishing tournament on Saturday in Galveston Bay. We had the weigh in at Twin Peaks.

2nd place trout stringer

23” 21” 20 “ 9.70 lbs

3rd place trout
5.4 lbs

1st place flounder
4.3lbs

We fished in or the channel. Tried to stay out of the wind as much as possible. Had a great time as always.

1924982c2fd85a7518b17b5adda0466b.jpg
6fae51700651b568699a6336cd8eb9cc.jpg
fe0f2003149c49ccbea6c0918973fb34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I have a dock over off of the Bee Creek arm, had a little strap that had been hanging in the water all winter, I pull it up and it is covered with zebra mussels....Also a few attached to the swim ladder...this sucks.

If you bait fish at night, what do you use to see the tips of your rods?

It’s quite nice out here but I cant see if I get a hit

Night fishing is all about feel.
No need to see rod tip, just keep a somewhat tight line with no slack. Run the line over one of your fingers if you have to. Or turnoin the clicker if you have a bigger abu real.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, they sell little clip on bells in the tackle area at some stores, K-Mart had 'em back in the day. I don't know if you could hear them with the surf and wind noise though. People I know that tried them were after catfish in freshwater and it would be pretty quiet at night.

I've never used chem lights though I've seen them in the tackle area too but I'm afraid I might get the "fish eye" staring at them in the dark. 

Confirmed on Fl site. Spinner would have black on anal fin. Looked at other pics and mine didn’t seem to have it.

I’ll definitely look at bring some home for dinner. How many would you think I’d need to catch in the 24” range to serve 2?

Florida has a one shark per person bag limit, with a 2 total per vessel limit if fishing from a boat. There are no size limits on Black tips, but 1 of any size should easily feed two people multiple times.

However, if you have any question on the type of shark it is you are better off releasing it. Their protected list is significantly longer than the list you can keep from (not even factoring their Group 1 vs Group 2 difference in size limits) and the penalties are pretty steap.

Edited by Brew

I’m excited to get out there again and bring in a keeper. Cobia just arrived too.

Our water suddenly got clear and the surf has dropped a ton so I can see the bait fish I’m throwing at. That’s a bit of fun too

Used to catch a lot of black tip fishing at Port O'Connor off the city pier. About the same size, 24" or so. I think that was the minimum size limit on them in Texas. Buddy and I tried them for taste and I didn't like it. We cut them as steaks, straight across the spine about 1 1/2" thick. Very fishy. There's probably some good ways to prepare them, we just didn't know what we were doing.

What’s the kiddie pool for?

I’m a bit anxious about bleeding him on the beach. Every kid from a mile away rushes to see a shark you just pulled in and I’ve got to figure out a discreet way to butcher him right then and there

Crystal Beach sees worse every hour on the hour. Bleeding it wasn’t an issue.

Kiddie pool wasn’t mine, pic was when a neighboring group wanted to see what we caught.

I think I told this story on the old site but the shark hit when I was between sand bars and in water about to my ears. The bait fish were hanging in the water. I almost drown trying to fight it while treading water in the surf, took me a couple of minutes to fight/swim back to a comfortable depth.

1087fc20e0d709bd5dd7720c44ef4bc6.jpg

I think you want to process them pretty quickly which involves removing the head, tail, and insides. Their issue is the way they excrete urine through their skin so you want to remove that fairly quickly to cut the ammonia issues. Most people I see do it remove the tail, bleed it out, and then head and insides come off/out in one set of cuts.

• Like 1

so, my wife wants to take my sons fishing this summer, but she's pretty amateur, and she wants to stay close in. she is planning on taking them in the morning to maybe red bud isle. is that a decent enough spot, or is there anywhere anyone might recommend in or near austin?