Hager gets reprimand

Armypilot

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Hager should respond as follows:

"I was made aware today that Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby has interpreted a Conference rule to mean that some of my comments in regards to the University of Oklahoma constitute a violation thereof. Further, the Commissioner stated that he expects a public apology. I decline to make such an apology. I neither regret nor apologize for my comments and will not retract or revise them. They reflect my opinion on the topic of Oklahoma and its football team and I am well within my rights to hold and share said opinion. 

I am hoping that in the near future, I will be asked my opinion of topics such as how the Big 12 conference responded to the student-athlete rape scandal at Baylor, or how it responds to the Southeastern Conference's attempts to manipulate bowl matchups in its favor, or the Big 12's inconsistent interpretation of unsportsmanlike conduct on and off the field. I will be glad to again trade a public reprimand for the opportunity to share my thoughts.

OK, cool. 

Hook 'em."

That is great.

11 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Hager should respond as follows:

"I was made aware today that Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby has interpreted a Conference rule to mean that some of my comments in regards to the University of Oklahoma constitute a violation thereof. Further, the Commissioner stated that he expects a public apology. I decline to make such an apology. I neither regret nor apologize for my comments and will not retract or revise them. They reflect my opinion on the topic of Oklahoma and its football team and I am well within my rights to hold and share said opinion. 

I am hoping that in the near future, I will be asked my opinion of topics such as how the Big 12 conference responded to the student-athlete rape scandal at Baylor, or how it responds to the Southeastern Conference's attempts to manipulate bowl matchups in its favor, or the Big 12's inconsistent interpretation of unsportsmanlike conduct on and off the field. I will be glad to again trade a public reprimand for the opportunity to share my thoughts.

OK, cool. 

Hook 'em."

This is beautiful 

Statement from Texas Football senior DL Breckyn Hager:

“I consider sportsmanship to be an essential part of the game I so truly love. I spoke with our athletics director Chris Del Conte and Coach Herman about what I said after Saturday’s game and understand why it reflected poorly on me and my team. I had no ill intentions when I made my comments about Oklahoma, which included a phrase that’s used by fans, but I have to realize that it’s different coming from me. My thought process was that it would put a fun and light-hearted charge into the greatest rivalry in college football that my family has been involved in playing in for many years, but I can see now that was not the way to do it. I have the utmost respect for the University of Oklahoma and their football program and know a number of players on their team, and I want to apologize to them. I want to represent myself, my family, my football program, my University, and the Big 12 Conference in the best possible way. I’m truly sorry for the comments I made, will learn from this, and will keep working to improve my ability to think about the ramifications of what I say before I say it.”

1 minute ago, DreadHead said:

It doesn't say when the apology has to be given. He should wait until after the last game and then make his statement, a verbose and colorful epic statement that matches his awesome personality. 

If OU loses to West Virginia, he should say, "I told you."

Edited by Deej
  • Like 3

Just now, ftf82 said:

“I consider sportsmanship to be an essential part of the game I so truly love. I spoke with our athletics director Chris Del Conte and Coach Herman about what I said after Saturday’s game and understand why it reflected poorly on me and my team. I had no ill intentions when I made my comments about Oklahoma, which included a phrase that’s used by fans, but I have to realize that it’s different coming from me. My thought process was that it would put a fun and light-hearted charge into the greatest rivalry in college football that my family has been involved in playing in for many years, but I can see now that was not the way to do it. I have the utmost respect for the University of Oklahoma and their football program and know a number of players on their team, and I want to apologize to them. I want to represent myself, my family, my football program, my University, and the Big 12 Conference in the best possible way. I’m truly sorry for the comments I made, will learn from this, and will keep working to improve my ability to think about the ramifications of what I say before I say it.”

Good lord, I've changed my mind, give us OU in the Big 12 title so we can make Kyler cry again. What a bunch of pussies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I just don't understand. Did he get the time wrong or something?

Well of course...but it doesn't matter since OU sucks no matter what time it is.

Feel like I lost a little respect for them for actually issuing an apology.

Edited by Drew
  • Like 1

It's in the Conference Handbook:

12.3.3 Sportmanship and Ethical Conduct - Violations - Comments About Other Members

Penalties include but not.limited to "reprimand, institutional fines, and suspension from practice or competetion."

If I'm reading 12.4 correctly, I believe OU had to file a complaint to the Big XII.  Which is pretty priceless in itself.

Edited by JBJ

Just now, Quasimofo said:

Gee, how many times was Baker Mayfield publicly reprimanded for being the petulant bitch he was/is towards ANY team, especially Texas?

Right? If they are going to get Hager for that, the Sooners better be made to do nothing but kiss our ass in their press conferences.

Just now, JBJ said:

12.3.3 Sportmanship and Ethical Conduct - Violations - Comments About Other Members

If I'm reading 12.4 correctly, I believe OU had to file a complaint to the Big XII.  Which is pretty priceless in itself.

Oh shit...if it actually comes out that OU went to the league office and filed a complaint, it's going to make destroying them in Dallas again so much sweeter.  Fuck OU.

3 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Way to be the bigger man, Hager. Awesome leadership.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Good lord, I've changed my mind, give us OU in the Big 12 title so we can make Kyler cry again. What a bunch of pussies.

This was always my opinion.  How sweet will it be beating them twice in the same season?  Bring 'em on.  ou still sucks.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

If this is true, this is really the headline of the whole thing. 

Did someone from OU really have to go for a formal complaint with the conference about hagar saying ou sucks? 

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

Holy shit. How lame is that? I hope they did file a complaint, how hilarious would that be?

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Holy shit. How lame is that? I hope they did file a complaint, how hilarious would that be?

It doesn't necessarily say a complaint must be filed, but that's the only way of triggering a violation that they give.  I would think the Big12 office can be able to trigger a violation internally, but that's not expressed in the rules.

Edited by JBJ

9 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

I'd rather they get curbstomped in Morgantown, Hager goes for 2 sacks and a FF against WVU and then makes another underhanded comment about how OU sucks too much to make the CCG. 

14 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

he should have ended with "in light of this I will be withholding all my comments about Baylor player rape schandals, TCU football player drug dealers, the beatings and holding of screwdrivers against women by Oklahoma players.  Furthermore,  WVU, OSU, and Tech I don't really care about enough to have a comment but will withhold comments anyway.  Additionally, I will make no comments regarding KSU, KU, ISU because they generally seem like good dudes.  Hook 'em."

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd rather they get curbstomped in Morgantown, Hager goes for 2 sacks and a FF against WVU and then makes another underhanded comment about how OU sucks too much to make the CCG. 

If it was a guarantee the WVU curb stomped them then I would take it; however, I'm not worried about a team that we had a 21 point lead on with 10 minutes to go in the 4th. I could care less either way. This shit right here though is why the horns down needs to be a penalty and this is exactly what I was talking about when I said our players have their hands tied behind their backs and aren't allowed to do anything.

I'm in favor of everything being fair game, makes the game fun.

Edited by Texas25

3 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

If it was a guarantee the WVU curb stomped them then I would take it; however, I'm not worried about a team that we had a 21 point lead on with 10 minutes to go in the 4th. I could care less either way. This shit right here though is why the horns down needs to be a penalty and this is exactly what I was talking about when I said our players have their hands tied behind their backs and aren't allowed to do anything.

I'm in favor of everything being fair game, makes the game fun.

Especially when you consider the trash talk on the field during Texas OU would be rated NC-17 if it was broadcast.

he got reprimanded for being awesome. that's really too bad.

hopefully, the national press gets ahold of this and scorns both ou for reporting it and the conference for enforcing it.

we get the horns down damn near every week, home or away, with no consequences. 

now, i don't think there should be consequences - it makes the whole thing a lot more fun. look at ballou's tweet: "see? rivalries can still be fun." 

that's how nearly everyone took that comment. it's a great football player comment. we don't want robots playing this game. we want our players to be passionate. right? i do, at least. 

keep on keeping on, breckyn. you're awesome.

37 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

JFC. This is really over him saying OU still sucks?  OU doesn't even get mad at that.  Fuck apologizing. Part of being in a rivalry.  Taking all the fun out of it.  Shit is getting worse than the NFL.

Also, we shouldn't get so bent out of shape about horns down either. 

This is what's comical.  Nobody at OU gets mad over that - especially if he prefaced it by talking about that dogshit D first.  What a fucking joke. 

• Like 2