Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

34 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Tech fans better be patient (lol, like any fans are)... Prolly not going bowling again next year just because rebuilds rarely happen overnight.

last thing on my mind with regard to football is the 'right now.'

Basketball is generally a quicker turnaround, but both our hoops and baseball programs have shown what a great coach can do at Tech.  We've pissed away the past 9 years, so WGAF if it takes a few years to build?

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

last thing on my mind with regard to football is the 'right now.'

Basketball is generally a quicker turnaround, but both our hoops and baseball programs have shown what a great coach can do at Tech.  We've pissed away the past 9 years, so WGAF if it takes a few years to build?

It'll be interesting. The hardest trick for a new coach is getting the guys who are there when he shows up to buy into what he's selling them for their last years of probably ever playing the game. Some bail, some rebel, some buy in. It's a lead, follow or get the hell out of the way situation and things can go sideways on a coach. I've watched the transition at Baylor and it was not without a lot of turmoil.

7 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Right, he's the one, and that was, what?, 32 years ago? He was also a former UT player.

And nobody was interested in Spike Dikes who stayed on forever, you fired Leach who managed a whopping 1 season with more than 10 wins, hired a has been who was mediocre at best and bolted for a mid-tier school, and then gambled huge on someone that didn't work out.  Come back and talk when you have some who's really successful and sticks around afterward.  

Texas fans should teach us nextly about QB development.  I mean, hell, mack Brown milked the fuck out VY carrying him to the Natty, so they is informed on the topic of corching loyalty. DKR retired 42 years ago...

Edited by slorch

32 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

It's not that big of a rebuild, though.  The big question is whether Alan Bowman can get healthy and stay healthy.  If he can, we'll have a winning team.  The overall talent level is not that bad.

Yeah, that was why I said a few pages ago that I'm not sure if I would have fired Kingsbury this year. Bowman, Carter, and Duffy were all limited by injuries, and their defense really has improved. Tech had to know that there was going to be some "on the job" training with Kingsbury, and that it would take a couple of years for him to figure out the head coaching thing. 

That said, I was never a big fan of Kingsbury, but his firing is really the end of the era of the high scoring, track meet Big 12. Patterson, Rhule, Miles, Herman and Campbell are moving the league in a different direction. 

6 minutes ago, Hellraiser97 said:

And nobody was interested in Spike Dikes who stayed on forever, you fired Leach who managed a whopping 1 season with more than 10 wins, hired a has been who was mediocre at best and bolted for a mid-tier school, and then gambled huge on someone that didn't work out.  Come back and talk when you have some who's really successful and sticks around afterward.  

David McWilliams was 7-4 in his one year at Tech, so I guess he's not an example of a good coach that got hired away?

Yeah, that was why I said a few pages ago that I'm not sure if I would have fired Kingsbury this year. Bowman, Carter, and Duffy were all limited by injuries, and their defense really has improved. Tech had to know that there was going to be some "on the job" training with Kingsbury, and that it would take a couple of years for him to figure out the head coaching thing. 
That said, I was never a big fan of Kingsbury, but his firing is really the end of the era of the high scoring, track meet Big 12. Patterson, Rhule, Miles, Herman and Campbell are moving the league in a different direction. 

That end of an era take might be a wee bit overstated...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

There's some truth to this, but Kliff was at Tech for six years and had a losing record 4 out of the last 5.  He ran out of excuses.

Edited by Dirk X West

17 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

IMO we were way more patient with Kingsbury than he deserved

deservesgotnothingtodowithit.jpg

I guess that's what you get when you hire a guy as the HC who's never had that job title before. It's a crap shoot. Nobody is ever going to say that Kliff doesn't know QB talent or offense. But getting an entire program together, having a complete vision and communicating that day in and day out? I think that that part of the job, which admittedly is a giant part of it, may have been just out of his developed skill set. 

All that said, I don't think he's leaving the program in worse shape than when he took over. He did a passable job, he just wasn't able to finish. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Texas fans should teach us nextly about QB development.  I mean, hell, mack Brown milked the fuck out VY carrying him to the Natty, so they is informed on the topic of corching loyalty. DKR retired 42 years ago...

Bitter slorch is the gift that keeps on giving all year round. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

I find it funny that you talk down on Texas like they are some scrub program. 

4 national titles to 0. 46 top 25 finishes to 11. 20 top 5 finishes to 0. Yeah, you heard that right. Tech has never finished ranked in the top 5 in their entire football history. 

Even during the worst stretch of Texas football history Tech is still behind Texas. How does it feel? 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Slorch is hilarious to watch. Especially when he talks down on Longhorn fans. Poor guy will never see his program win a national title.  

Or a Big 12 title. Or a Big 12 South title. Or an outright Southwest Conference title. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I find it funny that you talk down on Texas like they are some scrub program. 

4 national titles to 0. 46 top 25 finishes to 11. 20 top 5 finishes to 0. Yeah, you heard that right. Tech has never finished ranked in the top 5 in their entire football history. 

Even during the worst stretch of Texas football history Tech is still behind Texas. How does it feel? 

I know who my program is.

Some Texas fans are delightfully unaware of who theirs is.

from 1977 Texas has one fewer coach than Tech.  Such a landing spot, eh?

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

enjoy watching us in the Big 12 championship game. 

I shall enjoy the game, for sure.

Fuck the offseason.  Ours is already here, alas, in the midst of a coaching search.

What of it? With a thread title like this, you were shocked that it wasn't a celebration of UT?

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

I know who my program is.

Some Texas fans are delightfully unaware of who theirs is.

from 1977 Texas has one fewer coach than Tech.  Such a landing spot, eh?

Don't go all aggie and use the number of coaches as some measure of your program compared to ours. Comparing Tech and UT is like comparing Taco Bell to real Mexican tacos.  

tacos-monterrey-primo-6-LOW.jpg?crop=1xw

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

With a thread title like this, you were shocked that it wasn't a celebration of UT?

You're a bitch in every thread. 

Hilarious that you constantly talk shit about Texas when they own your ass. Here's an idea. Don't talk shit about the program that has 4 national titles while your program has zero top 5 finishes.

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Don't go all aggie and use the number of coaches as some measure of your program compared to ours. Comparing Tech and UT is like comparing Taco Bell to real Mexican tacos.  

I'm not the one who proclaimed Texas' landing spot status.  now don't go all aggy and let facts fuck up a good boast...

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You're a bitch in every thread. 

Hilarious that you constantly talk shit about Texas when they own your ass. 

Yet, you seek me out.  Weird.

if you don't want to discuss the topic, then shut the fuck up.

Otherwise, share your take and get after it.  You know your style, it's always shit on Tech or whatever.  I don't go after UT until people start with the shit-talking.

Texas is a Top 5 program.  They've gone through plenty of coaches not named Mack Brown in the last 40 years or so, but roll on, bro..

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

You know your style, it's always shit on Tech or whatever.  

I actually rarely shit on Tech. I made one comment about Kingsbury being a shit recruiter and it sent you over the edge. Guess why Kingsbury was fired? 

If you knew anything about my posting history you would know one of my favorite Big 12 players of all time was Keenan Evans. You would know that I think Tim Tadlock is an elite baseball coach. 

I call it as I see it. Kingsbury was a shit recruiter and that's what lead to his firing. You were busy crying over a factual statement. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I actually rarely shit on Tech. I made one comment about Kingsbury being a shit recruiter and it sent you over the edge. Guess why Kingsbury was fired? 

If you knew anything about my posting history you would know one of my favorite Big 12 players of all time was Keenan Evans. You would know that I think Tim Tadlock is an elite baseball coach. 

you know your recruiting thread practices.

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The reverse Jerry Moore. I once read his entire biography while just standing there at Recycled Books on the Square in Denton.

Jerry Moore has a biography???

I was pretty good friends with his kids the two years he was in Denton. Wondering how they turned out.  

4 hours ago, Hellraiser97 said:

This is the post that drove the replies, but you hepersensitive butthurt motherfuckers don't want to read the gotdam thread so here it is.

I just made mention that it was ironic that UT fans were making this statement when we've only had one more coach than UT in the last 42 years...and don't count the two interems when you google Tech's coaches.  that's horseshit and you know it.

Why y'all trollin a Tech thread?  Sooners are bangin your wives while you're on the internet...

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Jerry Lawler is coaching football? I had no idea. 

Unless, of course, you are indicating Elvis has rising from his grave, which I seriously doubt.

Newsflash: Elvis didn't die on that toilet in Dealey Plaza. Biggest con evar. He and David Koresh are sitting on a beach together, sipping Mai Tai's and earning 20%.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Beat it.

I don't understand why you guys are being so hard on this dude.  Don't see why everything has to be Black or White.

Also, quick subject change, but if you're asking what my favorite type of peanut butter is, the answer is Smooth.  Criminal-ly underrated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't understand why you guys are being so hard on this dude.  Don't see why everything has to be Black or White.

Also, quick subject change, but if you're asking what my favorite type of peanut butter is, the answer is Smooth.  Criminal-ly underrated.

Dude, you need to take a long look at the Man in the Mirror. 

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)