Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Title thread should be something more like Vlad tryna to get the band back together 

or Russia justifies invasion of Ukraine by saying Ukraine doesn’t exist 

or Madimir Makes Military Mistake 

or Vova Veers Very Violently Versus Volodymyr 

Or "Billy Joel needs to update that fucking didn't start the fire song that is now stuck in your head because you read this"

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Title thread should be something more like Vlad tryna to get the band back together 

or Russia justifies invasion of Ukraine by saying Ukraine doesn’t exist 

or Madimir Makes Military Mistake 

or Vova Veers Very Violently Versus Volodymyr 

Or maybe

”All Ukrainian Mail Order Brides on Sale Now!! Don’t Miss the Savings!”

• Haha 3

Nah, this one has been stuck in my head today. 

In Europe and America there's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mister Krushchev said, "We will bury you"
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It'd be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too
How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy?
There is no monopoly on common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology, regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Putin has them surrounded. If the Ukrainians hint at trying to stop the invasion (of peacekeepers) I think he hammers them. 

Yeah.  I think at this point the last thing he wants to the world to see is Russian armor on fire by Ukrainians.  Cruise missiles are the safe bet.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

we just don't want to tell @Shady Ray

All bullshit aside, the top headline of the Focus this morning is: "What Happened in the Russia Crisis While You Were Sleeping".

As V.I. Lenin (/ShutTheFuckUpDonny!) said, "There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen." Well, after the slow plodding along of this situation, the speed of last night's events is going to induce a lottttttt of German pant-shitting this AM.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

man, so odd to see little air traffic over the Black Sea at this time of the morning. Everything is running on the borders or hugging the Turkish coast. 

Starting to get reports of artillery and day time videos of groups moving either in or towards Ukraine. This is gonna suck right?

I think after the last oops! I shot down your civilian airliner incident when things were hairy in Ukraine most airlines are playing it a little bit more safe.  Drunk Russian soldiers with SA-20s and nervous Ukrainians with stingers would make me a tad nervous.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

All bullshit aside, the top headline of the Focus this morning is: "What Happened in the Russia Crisis While You Were Sleeping".

As V.I. Lenin (/ShutTheFuckUpDonny!) said, "There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen." Well, after the slow plodding along of this situation, the speed of last night's events is going to induce a lottttttt of German pant-shitting this AM.

The German rep at the UN security council meeting said as much last night.  She basically said yeah, we wanted to believe you but you annexed two regions and basically show your true colors.  Everything you say can be assumed to be false.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

well glad you will have spring soon and not freeze your ass off. I was in Germany for part of a winter and it sucked. But then I like warm climates! 87 in Texas tomorrow is my kind of February. 

• Rage+1 1

The Russian Duma will have a session today to talk about the implementation of these treaties.  Usually Duma members are not tops on the list of people who get the early readout on what Putin wants to do.  Here is something to watch-- does Russia recognize the DPR/LPR within the borders currently controlled by the "separatists" or do they recognize the territory CLAIMED by the separatists.  The self-styled republics claim a bunch of stuff beyond the Line of Contact and if Russia moves to enforce that claim-- there is your shooting war. 

Some leaks on the Twitters saying Austrian press believes that the EU sanctions package will include NS2.  I will be surprised, but heartened if that is the case.  But it does make me wonder what the big "war" package will look like. 

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

The German rep at the UN security council meeting said as much last night.  She basically said yeah, we wanted to believe you but you annexed two regions and basically show your true colors.  Everything you say can be assumed to be false.

Yeah, the governing class is going to be desperate to show that it is on the right side of history here. But the big question that will be answered is whether this sentiment finally crosses the threshold between the elites/media and the rank-and-file Germans. I don't think anyone can answer that one at the moment.

Al Jazeera had a great article on this a couple of weeks back, where it touched on this, which is a worthwhile read. Re this issue of disconnection between the media/politicians/elites and the German voters:

However, the US’s stance has not had the desired effect in Germany, and Russia has piled on the pressure, with the state-run Tass news agency saying sanctions on the pipeline would lead to declining energy supplies and gas price growth in Europe. “The more the US talks about sanctioning or criticises the project, the more it becomes popular in German society,” said Stefan Meister, a Russia and eastern Europe expert at the German Council on Foreign Relations. “Germans in the majority support the project, it is only parts of the elite and media who are against the pipeline.

A gas supply shortage in Europe has been widely blamed on a dearth of gas flows from Russia. It has particularly hit Germany’s low-income workers, which Scholz’s Social Democrats (SPD) party rely on for votes.

“Germany has been resisting pressure from the US because it absolutely needs reliable gas supplies from Russia and, for all it is now one of the top exporters of liquified natural gas in the world, the US cannot replace Russia in that role as key gas supplier to Germany,” said Ronald Smith, senior oil and gas analyst at BCS Global Markets.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/25/ukraine-russia-what-is-nord-steam-2-and-why-is-it-contentious

One of the points that the SPD has started making lately is, "if we are unable to get Russian gas, are we now going to be expected to pay twice the price for LNG (that we aren't even able to efficiently receive) that has been sourced from equally-evil Middle Eastern autocrats merely because they are allied with the West?" When the prices spike even higher than they already have - which is significant - I expect this type of argument to start becoming much more prevalent in the public discourse.

It's gonna be a political shit show, as the extremes on the extreme left, die Linke, and the extreme right, the Alternative für Deutschland, are already rabble rousing saying that killing NS2 will demonstrate peak capitulation to US interests at the expense of the German people. Now, that isn't going to result in some massive shift towards their parties, as both parties are largely seen as too extreme, but it definitely could peel off enough from the respective right/left flanks of the centrist parties to make governing Germany almost impossible. We have already seen this fracturing occur to the degree where for the first time in history Germany was unable to cobble together a two-party coalition, resulting in the current tripartide "Traffic Light Coalition" of the SPD, Greens, and Free Democrats. A shift of even 3 percent to the extremes could have a massive impact on coaltion building.

In short, it's going to destablize Germany politically if NS2 dies.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 4

I want to share this remarkable video clip of Putin taking a terrified looking Sergei Naryshkin, head of the SVR, across the coals. I referred to the exchange upthread but it’s worth watching.  Naryshkin stammers and tries to avoid saying directly “I support the recognition of independence…” Putin gets exasperated, tells him to “speak directly, Sergei”. Of note, in his televised meetings earlier with Lavrov and Shoigu, he spoke politely and made sure to use the name and patronymic formulation— as you would expect a dignified Russian leader to do in a “show debate.” 

This is more like “spit it out, Sergei!” Chiding a terrified student on his exams. 

• Hook 'Em 5

And at the risk of a bit too much “inside baseball”, the political situation that the Federal Govt is looking at on the ground is so complicated for even the most secure anti-NS2 politicians.

The only Party leadership in the Bundestag that has shown openness to killing NS2 are the Greens: specifically Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, and Minister of the Environment and Economy, Robert Habeck.

Well, two days ago at the party conference of the Northern Greens, the rank-and-file voted to break with Baerbock and Habeck (who is also their own former state party chairman), saying that they will revolt if the leadership supports any further steps to build LNG terminals in the north, which, of course, is the only place they can be built. They said that the leadership had turned its back on Green Party principles by showing openness for the US to send LNG that came from fracking. They then overwhelmingly rejected Habeck’s motion to support the construction of one, single terminal in Schleswig-Holstein, which would be used to receive US LNG.

Now, the rejection of a resolution at the conference of the loony Northern Greens is not going to bind the federal government, but it does show how complicated and politically volatile this is going to be for every party across the political spectrum.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I want to share this remarkable video clip of Putin taking a terrified looking Sergei Naryshkin, head of the SVR, across the coals. I referred to the exchange upthread but it’s worth watching.  Naryshkin stammers and tries to avoid saying directly “I support the recognition of independence…” Putin gets exasperated, tells him to “speak directly, Sergei”. Of note, in his televised meetings earlier with Lavrov and Shoigu, he spoke politely and made sure to use the name and patronymic formulation— as you would expect a dignified Russian leader to do in a “show debate.” 

This is more like “spit it out, Sergei!” Chiding a terrified student on his exams. 

Sergei soiled himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

does Russia recognize the DPR/LPR within the borders currently controlled by the "separatists" or do they recognize the territory CLAIMED by the separatists.  The self-styled republics claim a bunch of stuff beyond the Line of Contact and if Russia moves to enforce that claim-- there is your shooting war. 

Mariupol would be complete carnage. They have hardened their position against Moscow so much since the last go-round. 

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй