Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fire teams augmented by Stingers would provide some cover. But then they are exposed to the artillery. As said, Russians love their heavy shit. 

There are all kinds of options, but the Russians can bring to bear a fully integrated force.  The days of blowing out a tank tread from a ditch and then scampering through the forest with an RPG are fast fading.  MANPADS are always an issue with low flying aircraft, so we'll see.  I do think the Russian infatuation with pre-mechanized advancement bombardment will play out if needed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Isn't the only viable Ukrainian strategy one that eschews "front lines" and trenches?  In other words, put up SOME frontal fight.....but otherwise, you're deploying guys on motorcycles and shit to fly around and wreak havoc on the much less nimble Russian armor and vehicles?  Pop over a hill or through the woods on your dirt bike, blow up a tank, be driving away before the javelin even hits.

And of course, in urban environments.....take out armor from every possible hiding space.  Russians bring tanks into a city, start popping out of every corner, rooftop, and manhole and blowing up tanks.

Saw this pic on r/SpecArt and your post reminded me of it

Post image

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Neonmoon said:

So does Ukraine have any air? Drones? Artillery? 

Not a lot of air and limited artillery. About 100 fighters, no heavy bombers. They did buy a few drones from Turkey recently.

But if they try to go toe to toe (Armor vs. Armor) I think it goes bad for them. So hunting teams and give the Russians a bloody nose as much as possible. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not a lot of air and limited artillery. About 100 fighters, no heavy bombers. They did buy a few drones from Turkey recently.

But if they try to go toe to toe (Armor vs. Armor) I think it goes bad for them. So hunting teams and give the Russians a bloody nose as much as possible. 

What about IEDs and other harassing measures?  I presume the Russians have been spying on all major roads for weeks.....but maybe not all of them.

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I’m guessing we won’t let them slap a Ukrainian flag on some of our drones?

The US has fought 3 asymetrical wars in our generation.  And in all cases, it went...bad...for us.  You think we have been teaching the Ukrainians the lessons we learned the hard way?  I do.  OTOH, Russia isn't gonna be impeded by a desire to win hearts and minds, as the citizens of Grozny can attest.  

Still.  I think the Ukrainians will make this much harder for Russian than most people think.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I am sure they have placed mine fields and such. But artillery barrages can walk through them. 

Yeah, I would think that mines aren't the way to go.  IEDs on roads you expect the Russians to use as they approach cities....that's where you can get some bang for your buck.

Drop a few of those Turkish kamikaze drones into the mix from above.  And a few hit-and-run javelin strikes on armor when you can.  And maybe even some small squad infantry assaults on infantry positions when you have the armor distracted.  The goal isn't to stop the advance (you can't).  The goal is to make the price in blood very high.

Edit: also, is thee any intel/expectation as to the kind of facilities the Russians will use as makeshift barracks as they move forward?  E.g., will they bunk in a hotel, or a gym?  If so.....wire those places to blow.  Put stuff underground, or concealed in ordinary infrastructure.  Then, when 200 Russian soldiers are asleep....boom.

Edited by Brisketexan

And they have a ton of these. 
The Main Battle Tank and Light Anti-tank Weapon (MBT LAW), also known as the NLAW, is a joint British and Swedish short-range fire-and-forget anti-tank missile system. Designed for use by infantry, the MBT LAW is shoulder fired and disposable, firing once before being disposed of. Effective firing range: 20 to 600 m (66 to 1,969 ft) Maximum firing range: 1,000 m (3,300 ft) Muzzle velocity: 40 m/s (130 ft/s) to subsonic

If it’s not nicknamed “Mother n law” I will have a sad.
  • Haha 1

*elfenix pictures a ukranian defense minister at the grand bazaar in istanbul haggling with an arms merchant over small glasses of turkish tea

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Russian state TV is now showing alleged shelling of Russian-speakers’ houses and due to the recent spate of pre-recorded videos they had the guy hold up a sign with the date on it.  Meme text is mine.

image.jpeg

i, too, can increment the dates and re-record video

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I would think that mines aren't the way to go.  IEDs on roads you expect the Russians to use as they approach cities....that's where you can get some bang for your buck.

Drop a few of those Turkish kamikaze drones into the mix from above.  And a few hit-and-run javelin strikes on armor when you can.  And maybe even some small squad infantry assaults on infantry positions when you have the armor distracted.  The goal isn't to stop the advance (you can't).  The goal is to make the price in blood very high.

Terrain denial is a tough game, and one of the big reasons Russia wanted to go now is so they aren’t limited by soft ground creating known approaches. Ukraine is surrounded on 3 sides by Russian troops potentially.  Way too much ground to cover. They have a much better chance allowing forward heavy elements to pass and then start the asymmetric stuff on supply lines and softer targets that follow. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

*elfenix pictures a ukranian defense minister at the grand bazaar in istanbul haggling with an arms merchant over small glasses of turkish tea

i, too, can increment the dates and re-record video

These clowns aren’t even trying. The car bomb they filmed last weekend that allegedly destroyed the separatist’s SUV? They didn’t want to blow up his fancy one so they swapped the plate onto a jalopy. 

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Terrain denial is a tough game, and one of the big reasons Russia wanted to go now is so they aren’t limited by soft ground creating known approaches. Ukraine is surrounded on 3 sides by Russian troops potentially.  Way too much ground to cover. They have a much better chance allowing forward heavy elements to pass and then start the asymmetric stuff on supply lines and softer targets that follow. 

Appreciate the thoughts.  My tactical training at West Point was deficient.

Being that I didn't go to West Point.  And got no tactical training.

Just read this today re: Sanctions and Russia's ability to weather:

Western leaders are readying economic sanctions to punish Vladimir Putin for his aggression.

Those sanctions will be separate and far more severe than the ones President Biden introduced yesterday. US lawmakers have pledged to unleash the “mother of all sanctions” in the event of a Russian invasion, and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson suggested on Sunday that the sanctions will include cutting off Russian companies from using US dollars and British pounds, hitting them “very, very hard.”

But while the West is swinging back its battering ram, Putin has had time to build fortifications. For the last several years, he’s been bolstering Russia’s economic defenses in anticipation for this exact moment in a strategy some have dubbed “Fortress Russia.”

Building Fortress Russia

If you want to sanction-proof your economy, the first place to start is padding your foreign exchange reserves, which are stockpiles of foreign currencies held by your central bank. Among its other uses, foreign currency can be deployed to preserve liquidity during an economic crisis.

Russia’s recently grown its foreign currency reserves to $631 billion, good for fourth place in the world.

It’s also taken a number of other steps to blunt the impact of sanctions:

Russia’s trimmed expenses to put itself on sturdier financial footing.

It built its own financial messaging system in case it gets blocked from the one used around the world, called SWIFT.

It’s developed homegrown industries to reduce imports from the West, most famously Russian Parmesan cheese (keeping an open mind about this).

Also worth noting is that Russia supplies Europe with 40% of its gas imports. So sanctions hitting Russia’s energy sector could boomerang back to hurt the West and destabilize global energy markets.

Big picture: Despite the sanction-proofing campaign, Putin’s Fortress Russia is not impenetrable. Geopolitical experts say that the types of sanctions being prepared, which could block Russia from importing critical tech materials or cut off Russian banks from accessing the US dollar, will be enough to overcome Putin’s defenses and cause significant and immediate damage to the Russian economy.

And investors are preparing for the worst: Russia’s benchmark stock index closed down 11% yesterday for its biggest single-day drop since Russia’s annexation of Crimea in 2014.

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The US has fought 3 asymetrical wars in our generation.  And in all cases, it went...bad...for us.  You think we have been teaching the Ukrainians the lessons we learned the hard way?  I do.  OTOH, Russia isn't gonna be impeded by a desire to win hearts and minds, as the citizens of Grozny can attest.  

Still.  I think the Ukrainians will make this much harder for Russian than most people think.

This is my fear.  Russia doesn't really care about the people in Ukraine.  They'll just bomb the shit out of every town on their way through the country.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Appreciate the thoughts.  My tactical training at West Point was deficient.

Being that I didn't go to West Point.  And got no tactical training.

Me either, but I spent a year in Korea in the army and spent half my childhood in Germany. I knew what the Fulda gap was before I had a favorite football team. I wonder if we passed any of this old shit off on Ukraine, lord knows we never used it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Me either, but I spent a year in Korea in the army and spent half my childhood in Germany. I knew what the Fulda gap was before I had a favorite football team. I wonder if we passed any of this old shit off on Ukraine, lord knows we never used it.

Don't know if we did, but I know the Russians have the same systems and gave them to the Serbs. You could watch they helicopters circle Sarajevo shooting them off. Would be a good thing to do to encircle cities and move past them, trapping the civilians until the rear and police units could go into urban areas. 

Russians love their mines. Big part of their doctrine. 

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

One thing I did see today was Russian rocket systems going off. Full salvos an reports of them hitting civilian areas. Right now reports of a large explosion in Donetsk. 

They’ve been launching Grads for a couple days and hit a power station.  Nasty things, not a lot of precision at all.  Likely both trying to get Ukraine to respond— and to get the front line off balance and “used” to the heavier shelling and rocket attacks so once the real thing comes, it will take some time to sink in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

There's been a pretty significant anti-mine campaign in the international community since the 90's. We're not a signatory of the UN treaty, but Ukraine is so they're probably not going to use them for area denial

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is my fear.  Russia doesn't really care about the people in Ukraine.  They'll just bomb the shit out of every town on their way through the country.

Not if the aim is an integration of the country.  Even Russia has to walk a fine line at some point

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's been a pretty significant anti-mine campaign in the international community since the 90's. We're not a signatory of the UN treaty, but Ukraine is so they're probably not going to use them for area denial

What is funny about that treaty is it goes up in smoke the second you need them. one thing that is allowed are defensive mine fields. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not if the aim is an integration of the country.  Even Russia has to walk a fine line at some point

I don't this it is. I think this is a land grab to create a buffer. If they caused a massive refugee crisis then they also win since that would fuck the remaining part of Ukraine. 

Fun times. Glad we have this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

One thing I did see today was Russian rocket systems going off. Full salvos an reports of them hitting civilian areas. Right now reports of a large explosion in Donetsk. 

Those MLRS are some of the scariest fucking things in the world @InkaUtexas. Didn't you mention something about a no fly zone being established?  If that's the case drones are going to be falling out of the sky wouldn't it?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I don't this it is. I think this is a land grab to create a buffer. If they caused a massive refugee crisis then they also win since that would fuck the remaining part of Ukraine. 

Fun times. Glad we have this thread. 

your post comes across like this:

image.jpeg.c84328d28dffe5824b16a96b13b84bbb.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

No CR -- to discuss, go to the CR.  But the immediate past president of the United States just made public remarks on Putin's invasion of Ukraine.  They are important, and worth discussion as they are absolutely influential in this situation, but again -- to discuss, go to the CR.

Agreed! (I’m itching to say something but I won’t.) go fix me a brisket sandwich and while you’re doing that snag me a beer. 

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Those MLRS are some of the scariest fucking things in the world @InkaUtexas. Didn't you mention something about a no fly zone being established?  If that's the case drones are going to be falling out of the sky wouldn't it?

There were calls for it, but have not seen anything pass as a resolution. I think Russians would care little if there was one. I have never been under rocket fire, but 120MM mortars were enough for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

There were calls for it, but have not seen anything pass as a resolution. I think Russians would care little if there was one. I have never been under rocket fire, but 120MM mortars were enough for me. 

Every single person I know that has gone under artillery said they shit their pants the first time.  Then they were like you know what fuck this I'm just going to keep sleeping as they got more used to it because of how rare they actually would get close.  Now sustained artillery.  Yeah fuck that noise.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

This is the Air Force version, CBU-89. Same mines but dropped from fighters

image.jpeg.c7cbdbf7725b6366abc574cb83793676.jpeg

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Captainant said:

All US mines have timed fuses, so no matter what our terrain denial is temporary. It’s been more than 20 years since I trained on the volcano, but I think the maximum setting was like a week.  

• Hook 'Em 2

All US mines have timed fuses, so no matter what our terrain denial is temporary. It’s been more than 20 years since I trained on the volcano, but I think the maximum setting was like a week.  

I did not know that about the timers.  So how do the mines in the DMZ work.  Donee go change them every week or are those old mines?

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

so we just leave the explosives out there? Seems like we just are giving bad guys some shit to blow our people up in a different format. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

so we just leave the explosives out there? Seems like we just are giving bad guys some shit to blow our people up in a different format. 

No, after a fuse timer reaches zero they blow up. 

edit: max setting is 15 days.

Each mine canister has a variable self destruct with three settings of 4 hours, 48 hours or 15 days, preset prior to dispensing.[4]

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Hook 'Em 1

I should also add that there’s an AP mine interspersed with each pack of vehicle mines. The AP mines deploy filament triggers, creating cover for the AT mines. It’s next to impossible to approach these without cooking something off. No one is walking up and disarming these to reuse somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 2

I should also add that there’s an AP mine interspersed with each pack of vehicle mines. The AP mines deploy filament triggers, creating cover for the AT mines. It’s next to impossible to approach these without cooking something off. No one is walking up and disarming these to reuse somewhere else.

The only mines we ever saw on the subs were during weapons onloads when we had "special guests" come along with us.  We had TLAM variants that were AP mines but they were deemed as overkill so those were scrapped.  So after the 15 days or whatever times do they blow up or just go inert somehow?

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй