Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

15 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I did not know that about the timers.  So how do the mines in the DMZ work.  Donee go change them every week or are those old mines?

Korea?  SK doesn’t follow our doctrine on mines, and it’s their stuff in the DMZ. I do know they have a system that is reusable that they deploy in the rice paddies in the winter. Stick them in the soft stuff, can’t get to them in the cold without setting them off. When things thaw they go in and disarm and put them to bed until the next winter. Being a SK farmer north of Seoul is sketchy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The only mines we ever saw on the subs were during weapons onloads when we had "special guests" come along with us.  We had TLAM variants that were AP mines but they were deemed as overkill so those were scrapped.  So after the 15 days or whatever times do they blow up or just go inert somehow?

They cook off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Korea?  SK doesn’t follow our doctrine on mines, and it’s their stuff in the DMZ. I do know they have a system that is reusable that they deploy in the rice paddies in the winter. Stick them in the soft stuff, can’t get to them in the cold without setting them off. When things thaw they go in and disarm and put them to bed until the next winter. Being a SK farmer north of Seoul is sketchy.

I could only imagine.  Been to Busan many times and we stayed in city.  When we went to Guam they told us if we were going hiking don't get too brave there are lots of places where they haven't cleared.  

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Russian state TV is now showing alleged shelling of Russian-speakers’ houses and due to the recent spate of pre-recorded videos they had the guy hold up a sign with the date on it.  Meme text is mine.

image.jpeg

Rex Ryan is damn versatile these days 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I could only imagine.  Been to Busan many times and we stayed in city.  When we went to Guam they told us if we were going hiking don't get too brave there are lots of places where they haven't cleared.  

The Koreans mark those temporary mines with little flags. They aren’t any kind of secret, it’s there to slow the NORKs down to give Seoul a little more time to GTFO. The rock drops are way cooler than the mine fields. Probably for another thread. 

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If any of you think you can blow this off with abortions, you are suckers and deserve to be trundled underfoot .  

Wait.....the Ukrainians are mining the fields with abortions?

That's some next-level shit.

Also, Judge.....I think you may have missed the thread you were aiming for?

• Hook 'Em 2

good fucking answer ^. imma go grab these paperclips on my desk and toss em out the window

great read catching up. gotta agree with LL's heavy take on China winning so much here. future trade bitch + mini war game at no cost to them. Yikes. China is the real problem as we know. Russia is a dog with rabbies aids and we need to let them die off slowly with minimal collateral damage

Not sure I fully liked Biden's remarks but I understand lots of that is forcibly scripted from a team of advisors

Party on Garth

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think the "China has things planned out for years" is overplayed Western myth-making.

Sure--China makes a lot of long-term capital investments.  But those investments are based on assumptions that may or may not bear out.  China realizes this, and recognizes that some of what they're building will turn out to be white elephants.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

But you're right.  Soviet Communism and Chinese Communism clashed hard.  Hard enough for a border skirmish or two.  Russia kinda pooped on China in the 50's.  The Chinese seem to have long memories and you know that'll come into play.

If Russian financial systems are impacted, it could have an impact on China, and Russia could try and engage in some kind of shenanigans to get back at the EU that could impact China.  And like I said, China long-term has to worry about Dead Putin and what happens after that.

On the flip side, China is at a point where they could start beating out Russia's defense industry on various contracts.  That would hurt a lot.

15 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So has Boris Johnson been told to tone down his rhetoric also? He's been awfully quiet.  Complete different from the dude who told Putin that going into Ukraine will result in body bags filled with Russian soldiers

I'm not sure what Putin responds to, but I have a feeling force is the only thing he understands.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

How good is Russian night vision technology?  Do all the soldiers have NVD's and such?

The regular/elite troops have some solid equipment, not as well equipped as our guys are, although I'm sure they have special operations units that are extremely well-equipped on par with our special operations folks.  I think Forgotten Weapons on YouTube has covered some of their newer rifles, or at least a few other channels have.

The conscripts and regular grunts, not so much.

From what I've heard/read over the years, much of the Russian defense money was poured into modernizing their aircraft, their tanks, and their heavy artillery/rockets, along with some naval upgrades.  They wanted a heavily integrated/"Shock and Awe" type of system like we displayed rolling into Iraq in 2003, which is convenient if you have neighbors you want to invade.

What they do have is better than the typical Ukrainian soldier or reservist, although it's possible enough Western stuff has been flowing in to improve things - I know the French and Brits have poured a lot of resources in since Crimea.

The thing about the Russian troops though, is how many actual infantry vs support they have, and whether the Ukrainians can force those infantry off of any "front lines" and into a position of having to guard supply convoys and whatever bases/hubs they build.

Because there's infantry, and then there's basically infantry.

53076444_2292702644125131_29321461268427

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Javelin's without any kind of support is problematic.  If the Russians role in with tanks as possible targets but have air cover in the way of close support helicopters, etc., the first few Javelins might hit their mark, but the helicopters will turn anyone else into hamburger put a quick end to that line of thinking. 

Plus what's the flight time of the missile?  10-15 seconds?  That's an eternity with close support overhead.  They're not the silver bullet make them out to be.  

Taking out helicopters was a huge psychological problem for the Russians in Afghanistan, and they paid a price when they lost their air cover, and pilots could get very skittish.

If Ukrainians have the means and the training, Russian helicopters in Ukraine could be running a huge risk because they are juicier targets then tanks.  You want helicopters to provide cover/support for ground operations, not to have to push ground operations into clearing out areas to make them safe for helicopters.

Artillery is the key to everything, and while the Russians have massive amounts of really good artillery, and a willingness to kill lots of civilians, they can't be everywhere.

I do think the Ukrainians have a shot at really punishing the Russians.  The West should be able to keep the Ukrainians steadily supplied in anti-tank and anti-air weapons, because the Russians don't have the manpower to drive all the way to Ukraine's western border.

And more importantly, the West has a shitload of experience in dealing with insurgencies, and with the tactics that were used against our own helicopters, vehicles, etc.  That makes me think that Putin tries to keep his vehicles/air cover as far back as possible.  If Putin starts losing lots of vehicles/air cover, he either has to retreat, or has to push farther out, which exposes him even more and thins out his lines even more.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Taking out helicopters was a huge psychological problem for the Russians in Afghanistan, and they paid a price when they lost their air cover, and pilots could get very skittish.

If Ukrainians have the means and the training, Russian helicopters in Ukraine could be running a huge risk because they are juicier targets then tanks.  You want helicopters to provide cover/support for ground operations, not to have to push ground operations into clearing out areas to make them safe for helicopters.

Artillery is the key to everything, and while the Russians have massive amounts of really good artillery, and a willingness to kill lots of civilians, they can't be everywhere.

I do think the Ukrainians have a shot at really punishing the Russians.  The West should be able to keep the Ukrainians steadily supplied in anti-tank and anti-air weapons, because the Russians don't have the manpower to drive all the way to Ukraine's western border.

And more importantly, the West has a shitload of experience in dealing with insurgencies, and with the tactics that were used against our own helicopters, vehicles, etc.  That makes me think that Putin tries to keep his vehicles/air cover as far back as possible.  If Putin starts losing lots of vehicles/air cover, he either has to retreat, or has to push farther out, which exposes him even more and thins out his lines even more.

The Russian fleet in the black sea can hit anywhere inside Ukraine I think.  The cruise missiles if they are anything like ours have this feature called "loiter". You launch it without giving it a specific target and just tell it to hang out in the general area until you aquire a target.  Ukraine can't touch that fleet so it basically gives them range where it wants.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hook1997 said:

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/russia-sotnik-combat-armor-development/?amp

They might have some out there with their new armor suit that’s supposed to stop 50 cal bullets.  

8D32F8AA-A53C-4426-937A-3E7EC199FE52.webp 86.44 kB · 0 downloads

The kinetic energy of the round would be a hell of a whallop. 18,000J  or more of force is gonna break at least a couple ribs. Smaller rounds would still be like getting pelted with fastballs from a major leaguer

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Gaddafi? Does Putin like the old “let my knife drink” Arab treatment, aka shoving a 12 inch saber up his anus?

spacer.png

homie across the beer table was like "40 years full of whateverSwedishnursing you need" in exchange for a few shitty days and a wee bit of anal rape to end it.

considerations. 

9db3207d465a6bcca8ec4dbf204e0bc7_w200.gi

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

So has Boris Johnson been told to tone down his rhetoric also? He's been awfully quiet.  Complete different from the dude who told Putin that going into Ukraine will result in body bags filled with Russian soldiers

Pretty tough to talk tough when even the Germans are laughing at what a pussy you are.

From the top story in the Handelsblatt (German equivalent of the WSJ)

British sanctions against Russian oligarchs are 'joke'

According to an expert, the sanctions imposed by Great Britain against several Russian oligarchs for escalating the Ukraine conflict are not effective. The three Putin allies targeted by the British government are not very active in Great Britain, said Elisabeth Schimpfössl, who researches the influence of rich Russians in the United Kingdom at the London School of Economics. "That's a joke. This signals to the oligarchs here that nothing is happening and that the lobbying of the last few days has been successful," says Schimpfössl in conversation with the German Press Agency.

https://www.handelsblatt.com/dpa/konjunktur/wirtschaft-handel-und-finanzen-expertin-britische-sanktionen-gegen-russische-oligarchen-sind-witz/28095022.html

And from the RND:

Great Britain and the Ukraine Conflict: Strong Words, Weak Sanctions

London. When Boris Johnson stepped before parliament on Tuesday afternoon to announce Britain's planned sanctions against Russia, he first said that everything was given to prevent the crisis. They showed understanding for the Russians' concerns and tried to resolve the conflict diplomatically until the last minute. But now, the prime minister said, "we have to face the possibility that none of our attempts have been successful."

He then listed Britain's planned steps against Russia, which were to enter into force immediately: sanctions would be imposed on the Russian banks Rossiayaz, IS Bank, General Bank, Promsvyazbank and Black Sea Bank as well as three wealthy individuals.

The billion-dollar businessmen who want to be taken with the measures are Igor Rotenberg, Boris Rotenberg and Gennady Timchenko. Igor and Boris Rotenberg own a construction company that specializes in the development of systems for the transport of oil and gas. Both are close to Vladimir Putin. Gennady Timchenko is involved in Russian companies, including the gas company Novatek.

"All assets they own in the United Kingdom will be frozen and people will be prohibited from entering the UK," Johnson said. And: This is only the first step. Further sanctions would follow if Putin completely invaded Ukraine. "We will target any person or company of strategic importance for Russia," says the prime minister.

However, whether the sanctions go far enough is controversial. Labour MEP Chris Bryant said on Tuesday that further measures must be taken. Layla Moran, the foreign policy spokeswoman for the Liberal Democrats, also stressed that two of the people now targeted by Great Britain had already been sanctioned by the USA.

Elisabeth Schimpfössl, sociologist at Aston University in Birmingham and author of the book Rich Russians: From Oligarchs to Bourgeoisie, also considers the measures to be rather weak: "The sanctions will hardly rob these three billionaires of sleep," she told the editorial network Germany (RND) on Tuesday. None of them are really big in Great Britain, and Timchenko's interests lie in Switzerland. Boris Rotenberg and his nephew Igor have nothing to lose except individual apartments in London.

https://www.rnd.de/politik/ukraine-konflikt-und-grossbritannien-starke-worte-schwache-sanktionen-EDBF2CUI55A3DBSZYTXOP47H6E.html

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй