Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Isn't that a new Netflix series?  I mean, I'm not much for vampire fiction.  But if we're talking vampire samurai--well, maybe that's something that I can get down with.

There's some further interesting background on that, which is detailed in McMeekin's book Stalin's War: A New History of World War II.  Let it suffice to say that the Japanese commander, Lt. Gen. Michitaro Komatsubara was probably a Soviet agent who may have been enticed by the Soviet Union into starting a battle that the Soviets were prepared for and would easily win.

If that's correct, then you're right--the Soviet gambit had its desired effect: Japan switched from the Hokushin-ron--the Northern Expansion Doctrine (literally, the "Northern Road)--to the Southern Expansion Doctrine (the Nanshin-ron).  And along the way, Soviet agents knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor, quietly encouraged it, and pointedly did not warn the United States or the UK, notwithstanding the billions of dollars worth of Lend-Lease material they were getting from the United States.

So yeah--in case you didn't already think the Russians were a bunch of fuckers, . . . .

Interesting reviews on that book.  Not much middle ground between, "It's great!" and "It's utter shite!"  

17 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Go on....

I think I mentioned, but Putin not using the patronymic “Sergei Yevgenyevich” in favor of just “Sergei” is a pretty big show of disrespect, especially as even earlier in the clip you hear Naryshkin using the polite form.  The context is important. If this was unfilmed, dead of night in the sit room with empty coffee cups, then saying “What do you think, Sergei” is a totally different thing and would express familiarity and a desire for unvarnished thoughts. This is…not that. 

This thing was filmed well in advance. Easy enough for Putin to say “Gotdammit Sergei you’re flubbing your lines and look like a scared kid. Let’s do this take again.” 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think I mentioned, but Putin not using the patronymic “Sergei Yevgenyevich” in favor of just “Sergei” is a pretty big show of disrespect, especially as even earlier in the clip you hear Naryshkin using the polite form.  The context is important. If this was unfilmed, dead of night in the sit room with empty coffee cups, then saying “What do you think, Sergei” is a totally different thing and would express familiarity and a desire for unvarnished thoughts. This is…not that. 

This thing was filmed well in advance. Easy enough for Putin to say “Gotdammit Sergei you’re flubbing your lines and look like a scared kid. Let’s do this take again.” 

I hadn't seen that with subtitles before.  Was fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

so he gonna fall from one of those Moscow windows soon? Or served some Chernobyl tea? 

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Everything seems to be pointing to full blown everything too. No mention of Lviv yet, but certainly looking bad for Kharkiv and ultimately Kyiv.

For some context, Ukraine is fucking huge and does have some air defenses. Lviv to Mariupol is like Fort Stockton to Beaumont. Lviv would be a stretch for them even just an aerial bombardment if you wanted to be at all precise and not risk losing air assets. It’s also really, really gotdamn close to NATO turf in Poland and Slovakia.  Shooting missiles at Lviv is how you get WWIII with nukes by accident.  Won’t be surprised if the U.S. phones don’t get a ring when this gets kicked off to reassure that NATO isn’t a target. 

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

For some context, Ukraine is fucking huge and does have some air defenses. Lviv to Mariupol is like Fort Stockton to Beaumont. Lviv would be a stretch for them even just an aerial bombardment if you wanted to be at all precise and not risk losing air assets. It’s also really, really gotdamn close to NATO turf in Poland and Slovakia.  Shooting missiles at Lviv is how you get WWIII with nukes by accident.  Won’t be surprised if the U.S. phones don’t get a ring when this gets kicked off to reassure that NATO isn’t a target. 

I see Vladimito going to the river. Will take Kharkiv and Maripul. Crossing that river would be a bitch. 

I see Vladimito going to the river. Will take Kharkiv and Maripul. Crossing that river would be a bitch. 
The more they drive west, the more likely we have an accident involving NATO citizens and military. So, the more West Russia pushes, the more close quarters the combat will get. It might be worth Ukraine's while to essentially runaway scrape until they get within range of NATO territory and dare Russia to be accurate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If this happens as expected it’s going to be horrific. To be clear, it’s nightfall in Eastern Europe. Young Ukrainian children are going to be murdered with rockets and bombs in their homes where they feel safe.

I am not a pacifist and understand well the need for and grave costs of war. This war is not needed. Also for the record, it makes me feel all the more shame about how I responded during the lead up to Iraq as a younger man. 

Some motherfuckers just want to send their kids to school, and not have to tape up their windows against artillery shells, and wonder if they are next.  Fuck Putin and fuck Russia.  They need to feel the bullshit they have inflicted on their neighbors.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If this happens as expected it’s going to be horrific. To be clear, it’s nightfall in Eastern Europe. Young Ukrainian children are going to be murdered with rockets and bombs in their homes where they feel safe.

I am not a pacifist and understand well the need for and grave costs of war. This war is not needed. Also for the record, it makes me feel all the more shame about how I responded during the lead up to Iraq as a younger man. 

I hear you. I was on one of the first Il-76's going into Kabul and was so excited. Then I worked there on and off for 10 years. Sadness. War sucks and you are correct that this one is not needed. This is a land grab and Putin in the modern Hitler. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Some motherfuckers just want to send their kids to school, and not have to tape up their windows against artillery shells, and wonder if they are next.  Fuck Putin and fuck Russia.  They need to feel the bullshit they have inflicted on their neighbors.

I said it earlier, but I would 100% be ok right now if North Korea decided to cross the Tumen and take some Manchurian property back.  Let's see Russia play nice when they get invaded and 2/3 of their military is carrying out an unnecessary invasion of Ukraine.  

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Im/we’re conditioned to accept warfare as a state of life in parts of middle east and africa…

….but im still in actual disbelief that this shit looks like its going to actually happen in mainland europe

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I said it earlier, but I would 100% be ok right now if North Korea decided to cross the Tumen and take some Manchurian property back.  Let's see Russia play nice when they get invaded and 2/3 of their military is carrying out an unnecessary invasion of Ukraine.  

So can we unleash the Inuit? Take back Kamchatka. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Odds are Russia has control of Ukraine's power grid and compromises that.  It would be total chaos trying to flee in the complete dark of night with shells raining down.  Ukraine is in for a rough time.

32 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Praying and hoping this is instead similar to the final few minutes of 13 Days (fantastic movie btw) and skirting the edge of war right now is as close as it gets.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

PSA. If we got anyone in country and needs to get out DM me. Client has two evacuation teams sitting in the west. My role is just watching the online world. These dudes know how to move people out. 

Great, if he could pick up and bring me back about 15 Ukrainian mail-order brides I'd be very appreciative.

Kidding of course, I hope he's able to provide some actual help to those that need it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Interesting idea on the Javelin stickers. Can we crowdfund a war vs Russia? Anybody got the GoFundMe link?  Maybe if we all chip in we can contribute one mercenary. 

You did see how well crowd funding our tight end group worked?

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй