Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Absolutely.

Honesty, it doesn't seem like Kiev had full control of these areas for quite some time. Years? They can take much of the blame for not exercising control of their own country. I realize this is easier said than done with Russia helping the separatists but you got to take care of your own problems.

Look up thread on the notes from @Shady Ray about the increase in confrontations in these areas. 122MM artillery fire is not fun. 

So what time we all expect this to kick off? I am watching the fleet in the Black Sea. They can position and hammer Western Ukraine pretty severely. 

20 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Don’t be ridiculous. This is America. If you spend all that money on first class travel for service members, what’s left over for corporate contractors?

Before the Iraq war any flight over 8 hours was allowed to be bumped to business or first class. Once the pentagon started seeing all the contractor bills coming in for everyone flying to Kuwait that shit got nixed quick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Absolutely.

Honesty, it doesn't seem like Kiev had full control of these areas for quite some time. Years? They can take much of the blame for not exercising control of their own country. I realize this is easier said than done with Russia helping the separatists but you got to take care of your own problems.

It's not just a supporting role they've been playing but a Russian-led operation since very early on in the conflict when the separatists were losing and Ukraine had almost taken back control.

Pushing locals aside, Russians take top rebel posts in east Ukraine

15 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

The Swedes and Finns are a lock to join NATO after Russia invades

That’s a feature, not a bug for Putin. He gets to point at NATO expansion as justification for what he is doing. He doesn’t give a shit about NATO being on his doorstep, because he knows they aren’t a threat as long as he doesn’t touch a NATO country.

Just now, TXSG8R said:

That’s a feature, not a bug for Putin. He gets to point at NATO expansion as justification for what he is doing. He doesn’t give a shit about NATO being on his doorstep, because he knows they aren’t a threat as long as he doesn’t touch a NATO country.

At that point Russia would be completely surrounded by NATO in Europe

2 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

I’m curious as to what Belarus and Lukashenko do. 
When Vald goes in, does he signal them to enter from the north?

Is the ultimate goal in this situation to capture Kyiv?

there are Russian troops there already. They can make the run south and let the Belorussians watch the borders and cover the flank. This will be a Russian operation due to command and control. Putin does not need them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Seeing that there are a reported 30,000 Russian soldiers in Belarus, Lukashenko may not have to send a single one of his soldiers in. If so, I'm sure they'd just play a supporting role.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wish we could just put a bullet in his brain and that would end it all. Great insight from a lot of you. Pretty much dovetails what my friend’s husband with the State Department has said about Putin not backing down and what he wants. Sad to watch. I guess we shut down the oil pipeline?

3 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

If you saw Lukashenkos speech yesterday on that rebuke to an American reporter then you know he is ready to go.  

So my guess is NATO/UN drops some sanctions for the independent state stuff. Putin will say that Russia is being attacked first, and use that as part of the justification for liberating eastern Ukraine. Bonus is China will use any sanctions or reaction about the verbiage about the independent states as leverage for their actions on Taiwan. 

So this goes back to his ultimate purpose in all of this. Was the military buildup to create a huge scene and drag out the anticipation and anxiety, only to take these small regions? I read somewhere (probably here) that these are not necessarily desirable nor particularly strategic areas, so its an interesting end goal if these small areas were all he wanted, because he got a whole lot on the other side of the leger as well.

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

So this goes back to his ultimate purpose in all of this. Was the military buildup to create a huge scene and drag out the anticipation and anxiety, only to take these small regions? I read somewhere (probably here) that these are not necessarily desirable nor particularly strategic areas, so its an interesting end goal if these small areas were all he wanted, because he got a whole lot on the other side of the leger as well.

No way.  He had pretty much owned that area already.  Way too much equity to try and just steal the pot

I think he was trying to draw Ukraine and any potential allies offsides. He doesn't want to throw the first punch and was hoping someone else would before the clock ran out. He had some false flags in his back pocket, but the US and others exposed those and kept him from using them. He's moving on to the next tactic of declaring those regions as sovereign nations in need of his aide. Ukraine must then either fire on Russia first or abandon the regions.
  • Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

At that point Russia would be completely surrounded by NATO in Europe

20 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

This is what I still don't get.  Russia spent centuries trying to be a major power in Europe, and Putin is pissing it all away and putting himself at Beijing's mercy. Hell, even the Soviet Union considered itself a major European power and acted as such.  Putin is acting like North Korea's Lil' Kim and giving Europe a reason to isolate Russia and its puppets.

Stalin would never have put himself at Beijing's mercy.

His economy is shit anyways, and this just makes it worse.  Can he put down a bunch of pissed-off Russians in the streets while trying to pacify parts of Ukraine?

The upcoming sanctions are gonna slam and go hard. 
Russian economy will be more janky than it is currently.

You got your mind right Vlad?

What we’ve got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can’t reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it… well he gets it. 
Any man playing grabass or fighting spends a night in the box.

Russia spending a night in the box soon.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is what I still don't get.  Russia spent centuries trying to be a major power in Europe, and Putin is pissing it all away and putting himself at Beijing's mercy. Hell, even the Soviet Union considered itself a major European power and acted as such.  Putin is acting like North Korea's Lil' Kim and giving Europe a reason to isolate Russia and its puppets.

Stalin would never have put himself at Beijing's mercy.

His economy is shit anyways, and this just makes it worse.  Can he put down a bunch of pissed-off Russians in the streets while trying to pacify parts of Ukraine?

If you believe this is about Beijing you are sorely mistaken.  This is about Putin's legacy.  He wants to be remembered in the history books as the savior of the Soviet Union.  He acts now or he just slowly loses his advantage and dies and is remembered as nothing more than a thug.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Where have I heard this story before?

The previous version was, I only want Poland to protect the Fatherland from Russia. Now substitute Ukraine for Poland, and NATO for Russia. 

Something about history, and it repeating itself

I think you are forgetting that Russia invaded Poland along with the Germans/Nazi's.  So only if Nato (in prior agreement with Russia) invaded Ukraine to take over the other half of Ukraine would the analogy fit.

But the Croatian = Sudetenland  and Ukraine = Poland - Nazi comparisons are reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

If you believe this is about Beijing you are sorely mistaken.  This is about Putin's legacy.  He wants to be remembered in the history books as the savior of the Soviet Union.  He acts now or he just slowly loses his advantage and dies and is remembered as nothing more than a thug.

If he makes Russia reliant on China economically, that's not much of a legacy, even if he pulls back a big chunk of Ukraine.

It's like aggy thinking that the jump to the SEC was going to make their program relevant again - sure they got lucky with Manziel, but they quickly reverted back to being what they always were - the whipping boy of their conference.

• immamac changed the title to Russia declares independence on behalf of the Ukraine so it can protect the Ukraine or something like that
  • immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй