Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

To me, this was the only play the Russians had.  It’s utterly ineffective from a military point of view, and will likely exacerbate their already badly depleted PGM problem, but Putin’s leadership was being openly questioned. 

I do agree it means we will need to find the resources to improve civilian air defense.  Which, to repeat the Babylon Bee article again: Loud cheering heard coming from Lockheed Martin board room.

• Hook 'Em 5

Russia has claimed and Ukraine agreed that a primary target of the strikes was energy infrastructure.  Here’s a map of what the Russians claim to hit.  It shows different large power generating facilities and the type.  This fits with being unable to hit vital military targets and a goal of maximum suffering. Other targets appear to just be civilian areas.  Zaporizhia has seen a lot of apartments bombed. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2b93b27f2b1bbeb1a07f48e1a0d0e0a6.jpeg

• Rage+1 4

I’ll say it again, that we are still asking Ukraine to fight this war with one hand tied behind their back is a disgrace…and that the reason is to try and deter bad behavior is laughable.

Bring all the sanctions, punish India and China, and give them every weapon system they want.

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ll say it again, that we are still asking Ukraine to fight this war with one hand tied behind their back is a disgrace…and that the reason is to try and deter bad behavior is laughable.

Bring all the sanctions, punish India and China, and give them every weapon system they want.

Slow your roll there pard.   No need to drive China closer to Putler.   They are dissing him right now and picking his pocket

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“I demand an explanation!”

History buffs, what did diplomacy look like with Germany during WW2? 

I think this is ordinary “don’t get it mixed, we aren’t on your side” sort of stuff.  Lots of ambassadors being called in by host states these days.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Am I the only one thinking we are about to see a much uglier side of this war over the winter?

So far Ukraine has done a solid job of sticking to targets of military value and those have been all on the Ukrainian side of the border. With this round of attacks, I am not sure how much longer they will be willing to stick  to targets in the Ukraine. Though they may not use cruise missiles that Russia is lobbing right now, they have been extremely effective with SOF raids and there are a ton of targets that are both close to the Ukraine and would cause an immense headache for them to target.

I understand that Putin is lashing out this way in an attempt to save face with his ground forces being impotent, but the interesting question will be how does Ukraine respond.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The ambassador is going to get an earful.  It’s about the strongest measure a country like Moldova has to express serious displeasure outside of just kicking out staff. At the end of the day, it is Moldova which is not a NATO Ally and is partially occupied by Russia. 

Germany was officially at war with most nations and their ambassadors left.  In Britain, Halifax dragged the wire brush across the Nazi envoy a bunch of times leading up to 1939.  The Soviets, remember, were trying to get along and feast on Poland together. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Yeah I think this is crossing the line as they are threatening more and openly claiming civilians infrastructure and civilian casualties are their strategic goal. 

This seems like a really stupid knee jerk reaction to getting a strategic supply line taken away. Everything Russia seems to be doing only accelerates their implosion. It doesn't seem like they have had anything remotely resembling effective combat or missions in the last month. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

51 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Slow your roll there pard.   No need to drive China closer to Putler.   They are dissing him right now and picking his pocket

Putin is pushing China and India and everybody else away, and yeah, they are wanting to pick over the Russian corpse, and the sooner that happens, the better for them.

Designate them as terrorists, put it out there in the UN even if Russia can veto stuff.

This weekend, we literally saw Russian state propagandists on Russian state TV bragging about being the bad guys that the world said they were, and they bragged that they would rather be feared than laughed at.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, immamac said:

Everything Russia seems to be doing only accelerates their implosion. It doesn't seem like they have had anything remotely resembling effective combat or missions in the last month. 

Putin has no military background, but is trying to control the military, and he's fixated on scaring Ukrainian civilians rather than supporting his troops (who would probably love to see those 85 cruise missiles to be used against the Ukrainian military).

Not that the Ukrainian military needed it, but this is going to be a huge boost to them.

Whoever said Russia/Putin is impotent, it's spot on.  Putin is the asshole who is doing poorly at work and comes home and kicks the dog.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Would be nice to help Moldova kick their Russians out, and it's a small number (albeit Moldova is a small country).  I'd like to think we have been talking to Moldova about all of this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is his kgb training and experience driving his decisions?

It informs his entire worldview.  

Short answer is yes.  And he has no one to tell him he is fucking up by doing this.  His only hint is China and India backing away, but even then he is viewing it through the lens of the US forcing them to through coercion.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s absolutely insane how fucked Putin is. There is not a single “good” move for him left on the board. Not one. This war is already over, now we just wait to see what bad moves he makes before it ends.

I wish I better understood Russian sentiment. How much of the general population does this attack appease?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s absolutely insane how fucked Putin is. There is not a single “good” move for him left on the board. Not one. This war is already over, now we just wait to see what bad moves he makes before it ends.

I wish I better understood Russian sentiment. How much of the general population does this attack appease?

This is where we are. It's a game on how to keep him from using nukes before the coup. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is his kgb training and experience driving his decisions?

I think so. The KGB engaged in conspiracy after conspiracy, and supported lots and lots of terrorism, so it's only logical that somebody who came up in that atmosphere automatically assumes that the West is engaged in conspiracies against him (which, self-fulfilling prophecy on his part - he is driving everybody to conspire against him).

And don't forget, he came to power on the back of the Chechen stuff, and terror and false-flag operations and indiscriminate killing of civilians did wonders for "resolving" that crisis, and terror and false-flag operations and indiscriminate killing of civilians worked in Syria to keep Assad in power.

He would automatically assume that what worked in Chechnya and Syria would work for him against Ukraine, a nation that he doesn't see as a nation, but just another breakaway area like Chechnya or the rebellious parts of Syria.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Am I the only one thinking we are about to see a much uglier side of this war over the winter?

So far Ukraine has done a solid job of sticking to targets of military value and those have been all on the Ukrainian side of the border. With this round of attacks, I am not sure how much longer they will be willing to stick  to targets in the Ukraine. Though they may not use cruise missiles that Russia is lobbing right now, they have been extremely effective with SOF raids and there are a ton of targets that are both close to the Ukraine and would cause an immense headache for them to target.

I understand that Putin is lashing out this way in an attempt to save face with his ground forces being impotent, but the interesting question will be how does Ukraine respond.

A part of me would love to see Ukraine lob some cruise missiles into Moscow and Saint Petersburg to drive the war home to those people, but I think the better strategy is to force Putin try and mobilize even more of an unwilling populace, and to get that designation of a terrorist state.  We're in October of his 3-day operation that started in February - all of the really pro-Putin/gung-ho types would have signed up to go fight long again, so let's see him mobilize even more people who don't want to be there, at a time where he can't even feed and equip the people he mobilized in the first wave.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1