Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

in longer segments/translations, he even mentions that they will be patient and will get their revenge.

I track it closely. I expect an uptick in BS coming not only into Kosovo but also Bosnia. Serbs will never forget Kosovo Polje. And fuck Rebecca West for her book on the region.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Screenshot_20240319_053805_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b137a6b9990c26608d484a3847488002.jpg

I still can't figure out how real this Russian insurgent forces thing actually is. There's reports they already retreated, and some geolocated photos show that they were taken in Ukraine, but other real reports of them in Russian towns and shelling damage as well. 

Both sides are probably exaggerating but are they actually holding territory or is it more cross border raids still? 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

How soon will Poland have that stuff?  I presume out MIC is sold out of everything, with a long wait list as well.

Probably - a lot of defense companies ramped up - like the HIMARS factory doubled or tripled production, but it’s running at capacity (I think like 96 a year).  Our artillery shell production is running around the clock (rather than just one shift).  The artillery stuff is relatively easy to ramp up (just talking about “dumb” artillery shells)- simply add more trained workers, bring in more raw materials.  More complex stuff like missiles or systems like HIMARS requires ramping up a long supply chain that extends offsite of the main assembly and through multiple companies, as well as longer worker training.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

I still can't figure out how real this Russian insurgent forces thing actually is. There's reports they already retreated, and some geolocated photos show that they were taken in Ukraine, but other real reports of them in Russian towns and shelling damage as well. 

Both sides are probably exaggerating but are they actually holding territory or is it more cross border raids still? 

The Russian insurgency/civil war claims feel like propaganda. My assumption is these are just small border raids.

• Hook 'Em 7

From Reddit so big old grain of salt. Allegedly shows French news anchors covering potential deployment of troops. Consensus in comments seems to be that French troops would secure the Belarusian border, freeing up ~100k Ukrainian troops to go East. 

predictable russian headline: “French troops would be priority targets!” … so obviously the opposite is true. 

IMG_1078.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I doubt that’s happening (troop deployment) but if so, season 3 of this show is turning into season 2 of For All Mankind. 

The only way this happens is if the UN declares a border separation force. Russia would veto that. I don't see NATO putting troops in Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty sure that's just talking heads being talking heads. Bring up an idea that Macron floated a while back, only to later be shot down by Zelenskyy. But 24-hour teevee news people need shit to discuss and fill air time, so they'll keep speculating about something that's not going to happen for eyeballs.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

From Reddit so big old grain of salt. Allegedly shows French news anchors covering potential deployment of troops. Consensus in comments seems to be that French troops would secure the Belarusian border, freeing up ~100k Ukrainian troops to go East. 

predictable russian headline: “French troops would be priority targets!” … so obviously the opposite is true. 

IMG_1078.jpeg

The French army traveling towards Russia at the start of spring.  Where have I heard that before?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 4

Pentagon editor at Aviation Week dropped this little nugget that ties into plane spotters seeing more and more F-117s flying.  While they were technically “retired” they were stored in a manner that was different from typical retired aircraft - they were kept in a semi-active state, able to be brought back to flight status quickly.  I don’t think these are the NASA ones either.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that France could unilaterally deploy expeditionary forces that wouldn’t be linked to NATO or article 5. In general, I just appreciate the chatter normalizing the idea of western troops drawing a line in the sand in Ukraine. We can’t let Russia rape Odessa. 

https://www.newsweek.com/us-reaper-drone-emergency-landing-poland-russia-gps-jamming-interference-1880662

Why do we encourage Russia by tolerating this? Are we waiting until there’s a tragedy to gin up support for full scale war? Just hammer fuck the jammer the next time it shuts down with a bunch of low and slow shit simultaneously launched from NW Ukraine. Jam GLONASS all along the eastern front, Alaska, Japan, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How many shells a day would they use if they had enough?

This isn’t much of an answer, but if they had enough, they’d have to worry about wearing out gun barrels.  Right now the Ukrainians are shooting something like 2,000 - 3,000 a day, while the Russians are using up to 10,000 at times   That sounds bad, but the Ukrainian stuff is more accurate so they get more bang for their buck, plus the Russians are using some extremely old equipment that is not as accurate and has  shorter range.

I think the M777, which the Ukrainians love, starts having issues after 2,500 rounds - when the gun barrels wear out, muzzle velocity become an issue which means accuracy becomes an issue which means shells and powder are wasted.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

1.5M rounds is substantial. Does Ukraine have troops to exploit gaps?

I hope they use these to buy time, to stabilize the lines, properly entrench in the north east, keep wrecking Russian o&g, air defenses, awacs, and recruit/train with confidence that they’ll have US equipment support in 2025. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/19/2024 at 5:09 AM, InkaUtexas said:

I track it closely. I expect an uptick in BS coming not only into Kosovo but also Bosnia. Serbs will never forget Kosovo Polje. And fuck Rebecca West for her book on the region.

My hot take on the Balkans is that the United States was in a unique position to cool shit down because no one really knew or cared about the various Mystical and Ancient Balkan grievances and so we were just identify the pressing problem (the Serbs were being assholes) and sort things out from there.  It is not always to our benefit to have too much context, it can lead to decision paralysis and empathy for manipulative actors.

And this is not a knock against you, but there’s a generation of senior folks who learned at Holbrooke’s knee and who gave their lives to understanding the Balkans. We almost know too much and people got too emotionally invested. And now we can’t just get a coherent and clear action together. And the Serbs are still being the assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pentagon editor at Aviation Week dropped this little nugget that ties into plane spotters seeing more and more F-117s flying.  While they were technically “retired” they were stored in a manner that was different from typical retired aircraft - they were kept in a semi-active state, able to be brought back to flight status quickly.  I don’t think these are the NASA ones either.  

I would imagine that the Nighthawk has some really similar characteristics to PRC and RU “stealth” fighters.  Having them as aggressors that can simulate near-peer opponents will be super useful. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

These aren’t things that have been flowing to Ukraine.  This is the Poles upgrading the F-35s and F-16s they have on order or already delivered to go beyond air policing.  

I included it as a "Poland gearing up for a potential war with Russia."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yep, it’s related. Just pointing out that these aren’t things we’d have a shortage of so hopefully won’t take as long

Is there some sort of sweetheart deal where we offer Poland great prices and they ship their surplus to Ukraine?

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I would imagine that the Nighthawk has some really similar characteristics to PRC and RU “stealth” fighters.  Having them as aggressors that can simulate near-peer opponents will be super useful. 

I hadn't even considered using the F117s as red team for training flights, that's an interesting thought... Man I'm gonna have to go back and reread the Skunkworks chapters on the Nighthawk

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo said:

Is there some sort of sweetheart deal where we offer Poland great prices and they ship their surplus to Ukraine?

The Poles have sent a lot to Ukraine, particularly tanks (PT-91 Twardy) and self propelled artillery (AHS Krab).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Captainant said:

I hadn't even considered using the F117s as red team for training flights, that's an interesting thought... Man I'm gonna have to go back and reread the Skunkworks chapters on the Nighthawk

There have been some seen in those markings. And kind of an open secret they use them as a baseline for testing and developing sensors. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It’s been kind of an explicit deal.  We made a lot of Foreign Military Funding available as grants to the Poles, Czechs, and others to help backfill.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s been kind of an explicit deal.  We made a lot of Foreign Military Funding available as grants to the Poles, Czechs, and others to help backfill.

It seems pretty ideal. That way our budget looks better and Ukraine gets what it needs.