Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

also the fact that there's two twits in that post making it look like we're calling hetfield a dildo is a joke all its own

The post about Hetfield linked the article, which also mentioned this song (which I hadn't heard/seen before):

It's a fine piece of music, didn't blow me away or anything, but it raised the question/concern I've had all along about this war (and about most wars, I guess).

I look at that kid, at age 15.  The Russians destroyed his home and his town, and slaughtered his neighbors.  I remember being 15, and having a pretty well-developed sense of justice, while also being smack-dab in the middle of my formative years.  So, my question is -- how does that kid (and every similarly situated kid) not grow up with an overarching goal of slitting as many Russian throats as he can, forever and ever until the culture and people that destroyed his home and killed his neighbors is eliminated?

Because I gotta tell ya....had 15 yr old Brisket been dropped in that situation, that's almost certainly where my mind would have gone, and it would have stayed there.  Even decades later, I would still be dedicating effort to making dead Russians.  Everywhere.  In their homes.  On their streets.  As they sleep.  When they travel.  Everywhere.

And yes, that also means that I understand and empathize with terrorists more than I'd like to.  I get how one's reaction to a nation state blowing up your home and community can lead one to dedicating your life to vengeance.  And how it is a lie to say "this war is the US/Russian government's, not the people's."  Bullshit.  The Russian people have the exact leadership they want, and they are happy for that leadership to do what it does.  The same can be said about the US.  Sure, there are dissenters, but....they are meaningless.

In the end, the question is "how...if at all....do you get past that?"  Decades from now, there will be tens of thousands of Ukrainians who would happily kill any Russian they lay eyes on.  It seems axiomatic to say that "war makes peace impossible," but there it is.  After what Russia has done to him....how can he EVER be at peace with Russia or Russians?  We can get into all of the philosophical discussions we want about how "forgiveness is better than vengeance," but that philosophy fails to account for the fact that a sizable chunk of humanity takes a "fuck that shit" approach to it (spoiler: I'm a lot closer to that chunk of humanity than the forgiveness chunk, and yes, I realize that doesn't say great things about me, my faith, my philosophy, or any of that.  I get it.  But grasping that truth doesn't change how I feel).

There truly is no end to this.  There can't be.  Thus, "only the dead have seen the end of war."

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What ability does the F-16 give Ukraine compared to what they fly now?

explain this to me like I’m a small child 

(genuinely curious about its capabilities) 

F-16s are mainly about replacing Ukraine's limited pool of legacy Soviet aircraft. But, primarily any additional capability would come from the ability to use the vast array of weapons compatible with F-16s. This includes both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons. As an example, Ukraine had to jury rig its migs to fire HARM missiles. This results in an reduction in deployability and capability. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The post about Hetfield linked the article, which also mentioned this song (which I hadn't heard/seen before):

It's a fine piece of music, didn't blow me away or anything, but it raised the question/concern I've had all along about this war (and about most wars, I guess).

I look at that kid, at age 15.  The Russians destroyed his home and his town, and slaughtered his neighbors.  I remember being 15, and having a pretty well-developed sense of justice, while also being smack-dab in the middle of my formative years.  So, my question is -- how does that kid (and every similarly situated kid) not grow up with an overarching goal of slitting as many Russian throats as he can, forever and ever until the culture and people that destroyed his home and killed his neighbors is eliminated?

Because I gotta tell ya....had 15 yr old Brisket been dropped in that situation, that's almost certainly where my mind would have gone, and it would have stayed there.  Even decades later, I would still be dedicating effort to making dead Russians.  Everywhere.  In their homes.  On their streets.  As they sleep.  When they travel.  Everywhere.

And yes, that also means that I understand and empathize with terrorists more than I'd like to.  I get how one's reaction to a nation state blowing up your home and community can lead one to dedicating your life to vengeance.  And how it is a lie to say "this war is the US/Russian government's, not the people's."  Bullshit.  The Russian people have the exact leadership they want, and they are happy for that leadership to do what it does.  The same can be said about the US.  Sure, there are dissenters, but....they are meaningless.

In the end, the question is "how...if at all....do you get past that?"  Decades from now, there will be tens of thousands of Ukrainians who would happily kill any Russian they lay eyes on.  It seems axiomatic to say that "war makes peace impossible," but there it is.  After what Russia has done to him....how can he EVER be at peace with Russia or Russians?  We can get into all of the philosophical discussions we want about how "forgiveness is better than vengeance," but that philosophy fails to account for the fact that a sizable chunk of humanity takes a "fuck that shit" approach to it (spoiler: I'm a lot closer to that chunk of humanity than the forgiveness chunk, and yes, I realize that doesn't say great things about me, my faith, my philosophy, or any of that.  I get it.  But grasping that truth doesn't change how I feel).

There truly is no end to this.  There can't be.  Thus, "only the dead have seen the end of war."

Personally, were I in charge of Ukraine, I'd be developing a new branch within the national security apparatus with one objective - hunt down and assassinate the talking heads, oligarchs, propagandists, military commanders, etc. who pushed the genocide. 3, 7, hell, 20 years down the road, don't be surprised to find yourself looking down a barrel or feeling a black bag pulled over your head. You come to my country with the intent to rape, torture, and kill as many women, children, and civilians you can find? Yeah, that doesn't get settled with a peace treaty or conflict cessation. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Personally, were I in charge of Ukraine, I'd be developing a new branch within the national security apparatus with one objective - hunt down and assassinate the talking heads, oligarchs, propagandists, military commanders, etc. who pushed the genocide. 3, 7, hell, 20 years down the road, don't be surprised to find yourself looking down a barrel or feeling a black bag pulled over your head. You come to my country with the intent to rape, torture, and kill as many women, children, and civilians you can find? Yeah, that doesn't get settled with a peace treaty or conflict cessation. 

they're already planning on doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This is where I am with the US Congress. We hear rumblings about Congress cutting off or reducing funding for Ukraine. But, virtually all the Dems are on board. I think alot of Republicans are as well. But the ones that are on the fence are about to get alot of donation for the Energy or Defense lobbies. It sounds cynical as hell. But I can't imagine any Republican's from Texas voting against a O&G lobby or against Lockheed 

Or KBR. They are sitting pretty in EUCOM. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Foosters said:

OperationFinale.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As darkly cynical as one can be -- and honestly, I have quite mixed emotions on this because there's a lot not to like about arms flying around* -- what this has done for the western defense industry will prove to be incredible.  If you are a third party shopping for stuff that is used to blow up/break things, you have two main supplier groups: Russia-aligned groups (Russia, China, DPRK even), and western-aligned groups (the US, France, UK, Sweden, and some smaller players).  

A large-scale product demo has taken place over the past year.  If you had sales reps sitting on the sidelines with order forms ready to fill out right now, who do you think is going to easily blow past their quota, and who do you think doesn't even get the free set of steak knives?

Of course, we've also re-solidified ties with some of our best allies and trading partners, and that's always good for business as well.

* Another sad by-product of this war is that it stands as evidence of the  "peace through strength" argument/strategy.  A nation state would be a fool NOT to arm up to head off threats like they're seeing play out in real-time in Ukraine.  Lots of people are going to want to buy AA systems, HIMARS, and the like, because they are a strategic win.  And on ANOTHER layer, it's even worse, in that Russia's repeated threats of nuclear strike/nuclear blackmail are a real strong incentive to get you your own nuclear weapons.  The goal of nuclear non-proliferation has taken a beating based on the last year.

I tend to agree with you, weapons running around sucks. There are M-16's we gave Vietnam in the 1960's being used in Central America today. 

But there are some new weapons players emerging, primarily South Korea and Poland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The facts are that Russia achieved almost none of their stated aims, they have wrecked their military for easily a decade to come, they have been isolated from prior preferred economic and trade partners, and they have become more dependent on a smaller set of “Allies.”  They’ve paid a tremendously heavy price for basically Mariupol and some coastal real estate and likely would not have launched the war in hindsight. 

7 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The crazy thing to me is, if Putin had done nothing, the west likely would not have truly galvanized support for Ukraine ‘starting’ a conflict to take back Crimea and/or the Donbas.  Instead, here we are.  Mind bottling stupid decision.  

Every September, aggy starts off believing they’ll get a Heisman and win the national championship…..

10069586.gif

11l0tv7.0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

F-16s are mainly about replacing Ukraine's limited pool of legacy Soviet aircraft. But, primarily any additional capability would come from the ability to use the vast array of weapons compatible with F-16s. This includes both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons. As an example, Ukraine had to jury rig its migs to fire HARM missiles. This results in an reduction in deployability and capability. 

Also worth noting that, while they didn't receive the F-16s in time for the offensive, it likely changes the calculus on how their current aircraft are used during the offensive.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Also worth noting that, while they didn't receive the F-16s in time for the offensive, it likely changes the calculus on how their current aircraft are used during the offensive.

This is a really good point. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, statsman said:

Really, this is what the F-16 was made for. If you have a limited number of pilots, and limited maintenance resources, a need to have a lot of planes in the air at short notice, and a lot of missiles, this is the airframe you want. 
I’m kind of excited the bird is finally getting to do what it was made for- fighting MiGs in an extended conflict. 

13 minutes ago, statsman said:

Really, this is what the F-16 was made for. If you have a limited number of pilots, and limited maintenance resources, a need to have a lot of planes in the air at short notice, and a lot of missiles, this is the airframe you want. 
I’m kind of excited the bird is finally getting to do what it was made for- fighting MiGs in an extended conflict. 

actually holup

if we're talking about F-16s, only one 80s right wing action film will do

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Good point. And they can in other ex-Russia aircraft (Romania, Poland, etc) and be ready for the F-16. This war is not over this year sadly. 

• Hook 'Em 1