Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I would imagine there would be quite a few non-Ukrainian volunteer former F-16 pilots if more planes were available.  

I think that’s the real interesting possibility. The prospect of being able to shoot down Russian fighters is probably something that would be pertinent to the interests of a lot of our fighter pilots.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think Ukraine was still viewed as both a corrupt country and a country within which Russia had a far greater influence than America was comfortable.  It was for sure a missed opportunity to push back on Russia when it took Crimea, but we are also looking through the lens of hindsight. Russia is saying out loud right now what it never said when Obama was president. And as much as we tend to go it alone, I’m sure a tremendous amount of European influence was exerted, as they did not want the United States to increase the chance of a greater military conflict. Much of that reticence was probably due to Europe’s dependence on Russian oil and gas. 

Biden gets to act differently, but then Biden’s world today is different than it was in 2014.  Not to CR this, but Biden was also forced to demonstrate the United State’s  willingness to lead and meet its NATO obligations in light of the previous guy wanting to back out of them. 

Well, also, Ukraine folded pretty quickly in Crimea. There was skirmishes right up until the most recent invasion, but Crimea itself fell without a ton of resistance. Hard for us to jump in and be determined to help when it doesn't appear that the people there are determined to fight. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, also, Ukraine folded pretty quickly in Crimea. There was skirmishes right up until the most recent invasion, but Crimea itself fell without a ton of resistance. Hard for us to jump in and be determined to help when it doesn't appear that the people there are determined to fight. 

Exactly right. I could see people falling for the idea that a few Russian speaking/Russian favoring provinces wanted to be part of Russia not a good reason to go to war.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

One of the things Hertling has mentioned at various points was that the loss of Crimea in 2014 was what caused Ukraine to begin rebuilding their military into a more NATO-like image. He was there to see it happen, and it's part of the reason why he was able to predict the vastly different outcome from what everyone expected way back when.

If Russia had gone straight to Kyiv in 2013, Ukraine would've fallen just as they expected it to in 2022.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

A couple would mean 2 dozen. Several means 3-4 to me.

Seems like the best move to keep as many UAF planes flying as possible is to rotate out a squadron for F16 training (pilots and crew), and when they’re ready send them back with their planes and send the next squadron, repeat until you’re out of F16s

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Seems like the best move to keep as many UAF planes flying as possible is to rotate out a squadron for F16 training (pilots and crew), and when they’re ready send them back with their planes and send the next squadron, repeat until you’re out of F16s

The timing seems a little off, though. The offensive is starting without planes. According to The Guardian it would take at least three months and more likely six to nine months to train Ukrainian pilots and crews. So unless the pilots have already been trained, we are looking at Fall or Winter for the planes to be ready. If we go into another winter without a victory, support is going to wane.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The timing seems a little off, though. The offensive is starting without planes. According to The Guardian it would take at least three months and more likely six to nine months to train Ukrainian pilots and crews. So unless the pilots have already been trained, we are looking at Fall or Winter for the planes to be ready. If we go into another winter without a victory, support is going to wane.

The latest training requirement estimate is 4 months. Yes, it's likely after this summer offensive.

Edited by Schulz2.0

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The latest training requirement is 4 months. Yes, it's likely after this summer offensive.

And they want training to start in a couple of weeks. That sounds optimistic and we would be looking at mid-October. I still think this offensive will lead to the fall of Russia or at least a fall of the invasion so maybe the planes are more for assurance/safety from a really pissed off Russia after they retreat back to their own fucking country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Ukraine says it got an Su-35 and most missiles in an attack on Dnipro and other cities. Notable that Russia is back to launching Kh-22 ship killing missiles at ground-based targets, these weapons are massive and notoriously innaccurate.

Loss of the Su-35 is nice, if confirmed. AFU had been reporting that Russia has been fielding its more modern Su-35s and other, better aircraft and it’s been giving them headaches. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

And they want training to start in a couple of weeks. That sounds optimistic and we would be looking at mid-October. I still think this offensive will lead to the fall of Russia or at least a fall of the invasion so maybe the planes are more for assurance/safety from a really pissed off Russia after they retreat back to their own fucking country. 

You sound optimistic. I like the way you think, but I do not share in your beliefs. I do hope for a successful offensive, but I do not expect a regime change or a pull back of Russian military from all occupied areas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

It's hard for me to take any of this seriously.

At the same time, it does say something about Putin's control of the country that anything like this is happening at all. For me, at this point it's still just a false flag operation or a clown show. Or some kind of combination of the two. The whole thing seems ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It's hard for me to take any of this seriously.

At the same time, it does say something about Putin's control of the country that anything like this is happening at all. For me, at this point it's still just a false flag operation or a clown show. Or some kind of combination of the two. The whole thing seems ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, B00M said:

Well this is a fun twist

Whether it’s Ukrainians or anti-Putin Russians, it does mean the Russians will have to try and find Russian troops inUkraine to redeploy to the Belgorod area, which helps the counter-offensive.  Plus it’ll make Russian leaders shit their  pants.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I would imagine there would be quite a few non-Ukrainian volunteer former F-16 pilots if more planes were available.  

This is what keeps bugging me. They don’t need to spend months training Ukrainians to get those planes in the air. I guarantee there are dozens of retired F16 pilots around the world that are just itching to get back in the seat for combat missions. There are plenty of foreign volunteers on the ground. Why would it be any different in the sky? And similar to that former US Marine that died a few weeks ago that had gotten out and immediately went to Ukraine, there’s gotta be current pilots who are somewhat bored with us being mostly a peacetime military at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 4