Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, statsman said:

Couple of thoughts-

1. I never gave any credence to the idea that the west “goaded” Russia into invading (espoused by Carlson, among others). Nations and leaders have agency and are responsible for their own actions. (Similarly- and I hope this is more history than Cloak Room- I didn’t buy the idea that Hussein goaded the US into invading through non-cooperation; writing that even as I remember that I absolutely supported it at the time). 
2. Taiwan and China- we need to be really smart about shoring up Taiwan. The fear is that being too aggressive and overt about sending them armaments will convince Jinping that the time to attack is now. Better to have a lot of the right resources at the ready, but not necessarily on the island. Think of smart Comms weaponry, small (in size) stuff. Taiwan has a “porcupine” defense strategy. Rather than make them a larger porcupine and run the risk of convincing Jinping to strike now, we should (metaphorically) prepare a “steroid shot” of defense weaponry and systems that can be injected at short notice. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/12/china-takeover-taiwan-xi-tsai-ing-wen/671895/

Wars are frequently fought over concerns about an adversary's future capabilities.  World War I largely started because of Russia's fears about future Germany capabilities and Austria's fears about Russia's.  Israel attacked Egypt and Syria in 1967 based on its fears of increasing Arab cooperation and capabilities.  And obviously the Iraq War was started over the United States' misplaced fears about Iraq's future WMD capabilities.

But with that being said, China doesn't have the ability to land an amphibious invasion force on Taiwan.  Bateshorn is right that China hasn't fought a real war since 1953, and an amphibious invasion isn't exactly the first thing you want to try to pull off out of the gate.  For that reason, a blockade is a much more feasible scenario.  But one wonders whether that is a real viable war plan, given the likelihood of escalation with the United States.

Regardless, I really have to wonder how China's Zero-Covid policy would play into this.  

I think part of the Zero-Covid policy is about social control.  The CCP really likes being able to lock down entire cities whenever it needs to.  And if there's any kind of protest in a city, they can just say "oops--there's a positive Covid test so everything has to be locked down for two weeks."

But all the same, I do think there is some real paranoia among the CCP about Covid and the impact it could have on the country's political stability.  And nothing would be a vector for disease like putting together a huge invasion force.  After all this, any preparations for an invasion of Taiwan would virtually guarantee a massive outbreak in China among a population that has a shockingly low vaccination rate.

So for those reasons, I really don't expect China to undertake an invasion of Taiwan (or even a blockade).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Their theater will need to [dangerously] expand to International waters with near-instant allied naval blockades in the Malacca Strait and South China Sea

Would that actually be the case? We'd put a bunch of our Navy in between China and Taiwan? Then what? Politely tell them they shall not pass? Would we get directly involved in that as opposed to just providing assistance like we've done with Ukraine?

Edited by SquishMitten
Just saw Blacklab's post. No more China talk from this guy
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think we're getting a lot closer to a Kremlin coup.

I mean, we're always getting CLOSER.....the question is if we ever get there.  Instability and precarious status of the regime on some level is the state of existence in Russia.  We won't know it's hit the tipping point until....it's been tipped.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Hungary is doing its level best to get kicked out of NATO and the EU.  It's hard to imagine how it can be a part of the EU and have an economic deal with Iran in light of all of the secondary sanctions in place.

I thought the issue was once you're in the EU, you can't be kicked out.  You can ask to leave, but not be forced to leave.  I am asking that question, I don't know the answer.

That would explain why Turkey has been waiting for a long while now to get into the EU.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Hungary is doing its level best to get kicked out of NATO and the EU.  It's hard to imagine how it can be a part of the EU and have an economic deal with Iran in light of all of the secondary sanctions in place.

There’s no mechanism to kick a country out of either. The EU has more tools at hand to discipline them, but there simply doesn’t exist a way to take a vote and say goodbye. 

This Tweet feed isn’t accurate, take it with a grain of salt. They announced a committee that would discuss a potential path to economic reintegration, not an actual economic deal— which is bad enough. It’s a shitty look, but doesn’t circumvent sanctions. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There’s no mechanism to kick a country out of either. The EU has more tools at hand to discipline them, but there simply doesn’t exist a way to take a vote and say goodbye. 

This Tweet feed isn’t accurate, take it with a grain of salt. They announced a committee that would discuss a potential path to economic reintegration, not an actual economic deal— which is bad enough. It’s a shitty look, but doesn’t circumvent sanctions. 

That makes more sense.

As with everything with the EU, there's always a mechanism.  The EU is a creature of a multilateral treaty.  So all it would take is all of the other members of the EU agreeing to abrogate their treaty with Hungary.  That's obviously hard to do, but it's not impossible.

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Getting really tired of finding new ways to tell Orban to fuck off and fucking die. That motherfucker needs to get entangled in a barb wire fence and get raped to death by a fucking bull. 

Problem....an entire chunk of the American public WORSHIPS the man.  They invite him to speak at their conferences.  They want us to be like Orban and Hungary.  So....yeah, there's a big problem with Hungary getting significant support from fellow Americans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Lol. Five shell casings and four pistols found next to his body. Maybe he was just testing the lethality of different rounds.

Or the latest in Iranian Body Armor. Watch the fucker get medals and such while troops at the front are being slaughtered. 

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

First video. Belarus could go through them with tanks. Oh wait, Russia took them all to donate to Ukrainian farmers. 

Second Video. Fuck Russia. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a fucking way to exclude them.  Destroy their fucking economy so they drop out of the top 20.  Then plug in whoever's next.  Andorra, or whatever.

Word.

Or alternatively, just, you know, exclude them anyway.  What are the repercussions for excluding them, maybe they'll bomb and rape and murder a bunch of innocent people?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Oleshki, Kherson region, poor lonely armored personnel carrier and evil art #59ombr #vsu

Russia is going to try the "we have more walking meat than you have ammo" strategy.

I'll admit, esp. in light of the posts above commenting on Ukraine running low on stocks, this gives me some concern.  Not freaking out, but on some level, human waves of a million Russians with sharpened sticks and 120 yr old rifles has a chance to overwhelm the UKA at least in certain spots.  Now, even if that happened, I doubt Russia's ability to capitalize on it and pull out a full strategic victory....but still....

Russia's best hope is for the meat sacs to turn on their masters.  So, there's no hope at all.  

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Russia is going to try the "we have more walking meat than you have ammo" strategy.

I'll admit, esp. in light of the posts above commenting on Ukraine running low on stocks, this gives me some concern.  Not freaking out, but on some level, human waves of a million Russians with sharpened sticks and 120 yr old rifles has a chance to overwhelm the UKA at least in certain spots.  Now, even if that happened, I doubt Russia's ability to capitalize on it and pull out a full strategic victory....but still....

Russia's best hope is for the meat sacs to turn on their masters.  So, there's no hope at all.  

Luckily old man winter is brutal on malnourished soldiers with sticks. He'll be the #1 cause of death if Russia tries that approach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Luckily old man winter is brutal on malnourished soldiers with sticks. He'll be the #1 cause of death if Russia tries that approach. 

And I'm confident Ukraine knows how to help old man winter do his job.  Cut off the troops from their supply lines.  Destroy any line they have on food, fuel, ammo, shelter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m seeing more and more NATO small arms stock being used by Ukraine, and not just European, but lots of M4s, and we have plenty of ammo and supplies.

The fact that Russia relies on Belarus and Iran to produce ammo is stunning.  How the mighty have fallen.

Also, you can shoot somebody in the chest 5 times and get the media to report it as a suicide?

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, you can shoot somebody in the chest 5 times and get the media to report it as a suicide?

It surely relates to the fact that Russian windows are by far the most dangerous windows in the world.  They actually draw people towards the window, with some sort of hypnosis, and then trip them so they fall out.  It's science.

• Hook 'Em 2