Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson is retiring

Machinator

The guy is brilliant.  Faced with superior competition, he gave a number of schools a model to win.  He singlehandedly changed the way service academies compete in modern college football and led USNA to our first victory over Notre Dame in 42 years.  Sorry to see him go.  I would not be surprised if he popped up somewhere else after a couple years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m in a glass case of emotion. I’ll be really sad to see him go, and I love the Triple Option when it’s humming. The Louisville game this year was great.

I don’t like Whisenhunt. Feels like Chan Gailey part 2. I’d love Leach but I don’t see that happening.

No it won’t, but it should. Georgia Tech is far to conservative of an institution to allow his antics. But, the amount of talent in the state of Georgia that either gets overlooked. Or can’t find a home at one the local blue bloods forcing them far out of state. Would provide him enough talent that in a very short time his system would cause the competition a lot of problems. 

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

Do they really think moving away from the option is the way they need to go? That's a brutal school to recruit to - a lot of the difficulties Stanford has, but without the elite name recognition.

GT is a lot better of a job than many think. They definitely have serious obstacles with academic restrictions and being surrounded by heavy hitters in recruiting, but GT also has history and a great location to sell. They can sell the education angle as well. With the right coach, I think GT can build something. 

20 hours ago, texifornia said:

Do they really think moving away from the option is the way they need to go? That's a brutal school to recruit to - a lot of the difficulties Stanford has, but without the elite name recognition.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

GT is a lot better of a job than many think. They definitely have serious obstacles with academic restrictions and being surrounded by heavy hitters in recruiting, but GT also has history and a great location to sell. They can sell the education angle as well. With the right coach, I think GT can build something. 

You hear about academics and Georgia Tech quite often but I have had college coaches, high school coaches and a couple of players tell me that Tech can, and will, admit just about anyone they can for football.

edit: That being said I will miss watching that offense. That is, if they go another way with the new coach. When Johnson’s offense was on it was quite beautiful to watch in its simplicity and brutality.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

You hear about academics and Georgia Tech quite often but I have had college coaches, high school coaches and a couple of players tell me that Tech can, and will, admit just about anyone they can for football.

GT’s biggest problem isn’t academics. It’s the fact that a hard 10 at GT is a 5 at UGA, and there’s probably only a couple to begin with. The talent just isn’t there. Not to mention the 2 to 1 male to female ratio.

Edited by taybo20

Everyone has to pass calculus. That’s hard to recruit around and we’ve gotten in trouble in the past for trying to circumvent that. That’s why Johnson’s strategy was a good one: recruit the best athletes you can find and then teach them the system.

We’re never going to get the big uglies on the line because they can’t pass calculus and there are plenty of nearby big programs that have Underwater Basket Weaving majors to hide their players in. The Hill has absolutely zero appetite for providing any easier majors, and a lot of the alumni support them because of the perception of cheapening their degrees.

And there are a helluva lot more good looking girls there than when I was there in the early 90s. And Atlanta is right outside campus.

I always dreamed of what Paul Johnson 

On 11/29/2018 at 5:16 PM, Buzzrock said:

Everyone has to pass calculus. That’s hard to recruit around and we’ve gotten in trouble in the past for trying to circumvent that. That’s why Johnson’s strategy was a good one: recruit the best athletes you can find and then teach them the system.

We’re never going to get the big uglies on the line because they can’t pass calculus and there are plenty of nearby big programs that have Underwater Basket Weaving majors to hide their players in. The Hill has absolutely zero appetite for providing any easier majors, and a lot of the alumni support them because of the perception of cheapening their degrees.

And there are a helluva lot more good looking girls there than when I was there in the early 90s. And Atlanta is right outside campus.

He apparently had interest in the Texas job after Mack left. I think he could have one a championship here.