RIP George H. W. Bush

TexArcher

30 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

^^ true, but he had a pretty great run.  Which made me think - was he older than Jimmy Carter?  Which made me look it up - Carter is definitely the oldest living president, but Bush was actually the oldest living former president ever at 94 years 171 days.  God willing, if he doesn't fall off of a ladder or choke on a peanut, Carter will take the throne in 110 days.  Next oldest Ford, then Reagan.  Those fucking second half of the 20th century presidents had staying power, man.  I mean, except Kennedy.

*edit*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_United_States_by_age

(you can sort the chart by column)

Carter in the lead for longest post presidency lifespan by over 6 years, at 37 years and 315 days

Carter is amazing.   That living in the same shitty little house all these years, walking to church, etc.  That dude will be around for awhile.  

I have no idea if he's still pissing radioactive material, but it's possible. 

Here.

The timing of the funeral is going to be interesting, I think. He's going to, of course, lay in state in D.C. but then comes the timing part. Its almost finals time and then Christmas break. I'm pretty sure they are going to want the Corps involved and aren't going to want to add to the crowds around commencement, so do they have him lie in state while finals are going on and then maybe around the 17th-19th do the funeral, but that would mean keeping the dorms open longer. Or wait till around the 10th - -13th of January right before classes start again.

</logistics guy>

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

RIP. The saddest part of his death is that Trump will likely be presiding over his funeral. I hope the family can do something to prevent that. 

A threat of rain would keep Trump away...

Have we ever in our history had as many living ex-presidents as we did yesterday? (five -- Carter, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama)

Edited by Texas Jeff

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

And since this is the politics board, I can’t wait to see what stupid moronic disrespectful shit Trump has to say about him

Will he even go to the funeral? I doubt it. He knows all the other ex presidents hate his fucking guts for good reason

He won't be invited. Or he will get an unvitation. Who wants a loud-mouth arriviste narcisstic asshole at their funeral? 

7 hours ago, Rip76 said:

How did this become about Trump?

ah yes, Politics.

RIP Mr. Bush

The current prez will always come up when a former prez passes on. I listened to CNN for hours and they mentioned everyone but Trump.

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

W, I'm sure.  Gingrich?

Gingrich undid everything GHWB tried to do to preserve any last shred of bipartisanship.

The election between him and Clinton is the only one I ever held any doubt about. GHWB was clearly an American hero who had justifiably earned all our trust. Yeah, I disagreed with him on a lot of policy matters, but I still trusted that he held the country's interests at heart.

I'll say no further, because it would be inappropriate to discuss partisan politics.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

One of my favorite things in our politics today is the friendships between the Bush, Clinton, and Obama families.

People screaming about the other side being the devil should watch how they all interact.  It's like screaming at an NFL game only to see the players hanging out after the game.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

This made me sad, not just in the context of the passing of a President, but in the passing of a dying breed of politician that you could respect as a human being.

Don't let recentivism color your views.  I know it's easy to think that with 2016 being Worse vs. Worst.  Obama and Romney both are fine people with exceptional families.  McCain was well.  The history of the Republic has been filled with both good and bad.  We'll have both again.,

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

The election between him and Clinton is the only one I ever held any doubt about. GHWB was clearly an American hero who had justifiably earned all our trust. Yeah, I disagreed with him on a lot of policy matters, but I still trusted that he held the country's interests at heart.

I'll say no further, because it would be inappropriate to discuss partisan politics.

His heart wasn't in that re election you could see it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Honorable ass grabber. 

16 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Can’t wait for Willie Horton to hear about this. 

15 hours ago, Fozzz said:

khwsxovjwoqcujkoslpj.jpg

His war crimes were the classiest. 

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

Remember when Bush banned HIV+ people from entering the US?  Classy as fuck. This dude definitely isn’t burning in Hell as we post. 

You are a pathetic, sniveling little twit.  

• Like 4

I was at the Houstonian purchasing a gift certificate from the Spa. Had parked in the below ground level parking garage. The one that has the little rise as you exit so you can't really see what's in front of you As I was leaving I dropped something on the floor reached down to pick it up, raised my head just time to slam on the brakes and avoid running over President Bush and the Security detail( i was going about 3 miles an hour. My face must have shown pure horror and embarrassment, they all laughed at kept walking. True story, it might have even made a report.

• Like 1

On December 24, 1992, President George H.W. Bush granted pardons to six defendants in the Iran-Contra Affairs. The defendants were Elliott Abrams, a former assistant secretary of state for Central America; former National Security Adviser Robert McFarlane; former CIA officials Duane ClarridgeAlan Fiers, and Clair George; and former Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger.

Prior to these pardons, Abrams had pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges leading to two years of probation and 100 hours of community service; McFarlane pleaded guilty to one felony charge and received two years of probation; Fiers pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors and was given one year of probation and 100 hours community service; and George had been found guilty of two felony charges but had not yet been sentenced.

However, Bush issued the pardons of Clarridge and Weinberger preemptively, a move reminiscent of President Gerald Ford's pardon of his predecessor, Richard Nixon, following the Watergate scandal. According to the Independent Counsel, the pardon of an official as high-ranking as Weinberger, whose trial was scheduled to begin on January 5, 1993, raised questions as to what Bush might have hoped to conceal. Walsh had intended to call Bush as a witness in the trial, although Weinberger denied that any of his notes from meetings dealing with Iran-Contra contradicted past statements by Bush and former President Ronald Reagan.

https://www.brown.edu/Research/Understanding_the_Iran_Contra_Affair/thepardons.php

Imagine if Trump did something that slimy and crooked. 

• Like 1

Now electoral politics would come into play. In 1989, securing Bosch’s release was one of the cornerstones of Ileana Ros-Lehtinen’s congressional campaign in Miami. She praised Bosch as a hero and a patriot on exile radio stations and raised $265,000 for his legal defense fund. Her campaign manager was a political neophyte, but one who had the ear of the White House. His name was Jeb Bush. 

On August 17, 1989, Jeb Bush attended a meeting he had arranged for Ros-Lehtinen with his father to discuss the matter. The following July, President Bush rejected his own Justice Department’s recommendation and authorized Bosch’s release. Not long after that, Bosch announced that he was ready to “rejoin the struggle” and called the agreement he had signed forswearing violence “a farce.” Two years later, the Bushadministration granted Bosch U.S. residency

Bosch helped blow up a civilian airliner that killed 73 people. Bush probably knew about the CORU plot ahead of time but didn’t do anything stop it. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/11/twilight-of-the-assassins/305291/

On 11/30/2018 at 11:51 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I bet he will be.  I can see GHWB wanting to use his funeral as a showing of unity in the country instead of divisions. Everyone comes.  Everyone claps.  Everyone bows their head.  

(CNN)George H.W. Bush can perform one last, posthumous service to his country this week by orchestrating a rare moment of unity and a short-term truce in the rancorous politics swirling around the crisis-stricken Trump presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/politics/trump-bush-political-unity/index.html

Nailed it.