RIP George H. W. Bush

TexArcher

I'm crying right now, anyone else?  Probably took Sen. Dole 48 hours to get ready for that one minute, because that's what people of that generation and stature do.  

Cool thing tomorrow night, UT tower darkened  with only "41" in the windows.  Get a pic if you can.  

George called it "Voodoo Economics." He was right. But they're still selling it. Why isn't that the lead story being trumpeted by every news source? Or any news source?

His son Jeb(!), the so called "smart" one, the one who was expected to be next in iine for the presidency before Dubya cock blocked him, called Trump a "pathological liar." He was right too. Is the Bush family hiding from that? Don't want to piss off the DOTUS? Because maybe he could really hurt you? You've all got it pretty good as long as we're all addicted to oil so let's not rock the boat?

Hey, did this tweet make this thread already?

Here's why I genuinely admired and respected 41.  Not because I agreed with him on everything at the time (although I actually did agree with him on a lot, and voted for him twice), or because I agree with him on everything in retrospect (I don't, and hindsight has shown both of us to be wrong about quite a few things).

No man is perfect.  Not one.  I admire the hell out of MLK, but I can also sit down and list you a litany of his significant failings and shortcomings.  In the end, it comes down to a core of decency and humanity.  As former Senator George Mitchell was noting today, 41 thought of the Democrats as the opposition, not as the enemy (and he was quite oppositional - he vetoed more bills than either GWB or Obama did).

In my life experience, I've seen this as a common thread with executives who put their enterprises in a position for long-term success: yes, they are smart, and yes, they are often tough.  But the truly successful ones are also those who are not petty or small, and who are guided by some measure of basic human decency.  I'll miss that about 41.

• Like 8

I saw the American Experience on 41 last night. It pointed out a few things that stuck with me.

One was the dichotomy of 41 and Reagan.  Reagan reveled in his  former screen personas as a war hero, sports guy and family man when, in fact he was none of those while 41 was all of those in spades.

Two was his lack of grandstanding or credit taking at the end of the cold war so as not rub the noses of the Soviets in their system failure.

Three was the ominous foreshadowing of dirty politics that infiltrated the '88 presidential campaign through Lee Atwater and others.  I had also forgotten that Dukakis had a ten point lead in the poles-I had always thought 41 had been in a comfortable lead.   

32 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

W held it together until the very end. Just like I did. 

Just like my dad at his father's funeral. And me at his. And my son at mine. And his on down the line.

Funerals are at their best when the strip us of our artifice and individuality and reconnect us with the basic relationships that form our communities of friends and family. When the rituals force us to face the reality that we are not individuals vs individuals, but a collective unit working together to create the best possible world.

• Like 4

I didn’t vote for GHWB.

I volunteered for the Clinton campaign when I was in college and I was jubilant when he won.

But I never hated GHWB nor was I afraid of what would happen to the country if he had won re-election.

I didn’t agree with his politics but I never doubted he was a good man who wanted what was best for the country.

Today was a beautiful tribute and outside of the speech he gave in the rubble of the World Trade Center, the finest speech GWB has ever given.

I wish I could believe the current president learned something today. But I know he’s incapable of such a thing.

Godspeed President Bush. I hope you are holding hands with Barbara and Robin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Probably about the same time everyone lists all the dickhead moves you made in your life at YOUR funeral.

Nobody's perfect.  But unless you were, in sum total, just an evil SOB, a funeral ain't where you talk about that side of the ledger.

Nobody talked about MLK's repeated philandering at his funeral, either.  You just sound like a dick here.

Yeah, I couldn't care less.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Probably about the same time everyone lists all the dickhead moves you made in your life at YOUR funeral.

Nobody's perfect.  But unless you were, in sum total, just an evil SOB, a funeral ain't where you talk about that side of the ledger.

Nobody talked about MLK's repeated philandering at his funeral, either.  You just sound like a dick here.

And that is why I have him on ignore. 

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Excellent listening for celebrating the life of George Bush Sr.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/05/george-h-w-bush-1924-2018-american-war-criminal/

The true war criminal is his son W. Justice would be served if W, Rumsfeld and Cheney all were tried and convicted like the shithleads they are. I was run off by  Hornfans cabal usual suspects for calling that war bullshit from the beggining. I think HW was an honorable man in his personal life in many ways but there is no doubt the trillions wasted and thousands of killed by both him and his son with their wars against Iraq should be discussed as part of his legacy. At least the first Gulf War there was a legitimate reason for that war. Preferably, the Arabs themselves would have dealt with the mess of Saddam invading Kuwait themselves through the Arab League but they’re Arabs and can never solve a damn thing on their own as there is not a country of theirs worth a shit. 

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hushed tones and reverence will be the order of the day, even for the Donald.

Yep. It'll be in the same place. Everyone will show up and attempt to put the best possible spin on the reality of the Trump presidency, just as they are doing with HW now. It's just going to be a 100x heavier lift for everyone involved. The funeral of a President is a chance for the nation's power structure to reinforce the idea of what they/we want the nation to be, not to perfectly reflect what it is/was.