Todd Orlando should love the Georgia Matchup

sushihorn

44 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Good luck with that.  You can try to force throws at 2 future NFL cover corners.  Or you can attack the soft spots (maybe move guys around).  It is your gameplan.  Go for it.

While I like to think we are most prestigious UT message board I don't think we get to decide the gameplan.

• Like 4

On 12/3/2018 at 8:00 PM, Tony Two K said:

I stand corrected, Colt Appleyoung is a/k/a BigDaddyDawg on the sec rant.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/uga-sports/the-trash-talking-has-began/80612122/

I love how cocky they are in that thread about a weak Big 12 and destroying us based on "destroying" OU last year in the playoffs.  I guess in Georgia, winning in double OT against a team who led most of the game and hung half a hundred on you is "destroying."

Another pearl of wisdom from that thread.  Did you know that there's no way our fans are going to show up to the game?  Apparently we only get 60,000 fans at home games according to these geniuses.

Also, we havent done shit since VY was here.  Mostly true, but we have played for a national championship and won 1 conference title since VY, so essentially we have the exact same # of accomplishments as them.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I love how cocky they are in that thread about a weak Big 12 and destroying us based on "destroying" OU last year in the playoffs.  I guess in Georgia, winning in double OT against a team who led most of the game and hung half a hundred on you is "destroying."

Another pearl of wisdom from that thread.  Did you know that there's no way our fans are going to show up to the game?  Apparently we only get 60,000 fans at home games according to these geniuses.

Also, we havent done shit since VY was here.  Mostly true, but we have played for a national championship and won 1 conference title since VY, so essentially we have the exact same # of accomplishments as them.

Those memes are a product of lazy thinking.  Do they think that Texas out-talented OU in the Cotton Bowl?

Many are still trapped in the "Texas is soft" thinking that stemmed from the MB era.  Tom Herman is instilling a culture of toughness and effort.  But perception (esp mass perception) always lags reality.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meansonny said:

We play straight up.  If the route dictates the safeties over there, then they will provide support.  But they aren't going to cheat to help.  As I said... we are not bracketing one receiver to take him awau. 

Also, we will change the looks. We try to disguise coverages to slow the decision making process down for the QB.

I take it that you don't really know what bracketing means.

2nd part is just wrong.  UGA is hardly in zone and they don't pattern match or shell coverages when they are.

5 hours ago, JBJ said:

I take it that you don't really know what bracketing means.

2nd part is just wrong.  UGA is hardly in zone and they don't pattern match or shell coverages when they are.

They do switch coverage responsibilities some based on routes.  Think of it as man defense that varies on whether to dive under the pick, fight over the top or switch on a pick and roll.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

They do switch coverage responsibilities some based on routes.  Think of it as man defense that varies on whether to dive under the pick, fight over the top or switch on a pick and roll.

Banjo'ing (do people still call it that?) is hardly disguising coverages.  I guess it's a form of pattern matching, but it's not what pattern matching means. 

We don't do many stack or bunch formations, but I can think of at least one switch release we ran against KSU on a key third and long.  We also don't face a whole lot of press man, so we might see more.

Edited by JBJ

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Banjo'ing (do people still call it that?) is hardly disguising coverages.  I guess it's a form of pattern matching, but it's not what pattern matching means. 

We don't do many stack or bunch formations, but I can think of at least one switch release we ran against KSU on a key third and long.  We also don't face a whole lot of press man, so we might see more.

Not disagreeing with you.  More clarifying why the noob UGa fan might be confused.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:08 PM, sushihorn said:

For a conf that throws the ball a bunch, Big XII teams are very good at pass pro.  Conversely the SEC is terrible when you consider how many fewer pass plays are run there.

OU: 16 sacks on 386 pass attempts (4.1% sack ratio).  WVU: 24 sacks on 407 attempts (5.9%).  Texas Tech: 25 sacks on 535 passes (4.7%), OK State: 33 sacks on 448 passes (7.1%)

UK: 24 sacks, 281 att (8.5%).  Auburn: 23 sacks, 359 att (6.4%).  Tenn: 23 sacks, 297 att (7.8%), LSU: 33 sacks, 353 att (9.3%). Bama: 13 sacks, 374 att (3.5%)

Basically if you put an SEC team in the hole and force them to pass, bad things happen.

Anytime I rewatch the 2009 BCS championship this very thought comes to mind. 70% of the time Mckelroy dropped back he ended up on his ass. Had we been able to force any level of offensive pressure on Bama we win that game by 20 points or more.. Our chances in that game were highly dependent on getting off to a quick start.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Anytime I rewatch the 2009 BCS championship this very thought comes to mind. 70% of the time Mckelroy dropped back he ended up on his ass. Had we been able to force any level of offensive pressure on Bama we win that game by 20 points or more.. Our chances in that game were highly dependent on getting off to a quick start.

Yep.  McElroy dropped back 16 times.  They resulted in an INT and 5 sacks vs 6 completions and 1 3rd down conversion.  Those were the results when Bama was passing with every conceivable advantage: playing with a lead, no pressure to score, against a backup QB allowing theme to run the ball and play action off of it, passing when they chose.  They still sucked at passing. 

Can you imagine the carnage if Bama would have been forced into playing catch up and obvious passing downs all night?

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Yep.  McElroy dropped back 16 times.  They resulted in an INT and 5 sacks vs 6 completions and 1 3rd down conversion.  Those were the results when Bama was passing with every conceivable advantage: playing with a lead, no pressure to score, against a backup QB allowing theme to run the ball and play action off of it, passing when they chose.  They still sucked at passing. 

Can you imagine the carnage if Bama would have been forced into playing catch up and obvious passing downs all night?

Yeah but we are in the darkest timeline where that didn't happen.  Damn you multiverse.

Why TF would McCoy lower his shoulder into a fucking DT?!

I love the Horns, but damn do we miss out on huge opportunities.

01 Big12 Championship

2004 Vince and Cedric shutout by a team that USC dropped 55 on.....

2006 Kansas St game (Colt shoulder part 1) this loss basically gets OU into the title game

2007 Kansas St game Wizard destroys Mack and Greg's gaping pussy

2008 Texas Tech game even Blake Gideon's old faith paddy ass should make that play every single time.

2009 Bama NC 

Not to mention 1983 Cotton, 1977 Cotton

Devil's Advocate would say that one consequence of Colt'ed (or Sherrod'ed) victory over 'Bama would have been that Mack would've honored his "intention" to turn over the keys to Boom, who in turn would've hired Holgo, and that 2010 disaster would've never happened. Take it from there...

7 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Never had the phrase "styles make fights" been so appropriate than it was for this game. Saban was still adhering to his "the bigger the better" recruiting philosophy and thus had a big, slow as fuck team. From our first offensive possession forward it was clear as day that we were exceptionally faster than them. And given the fact that he went for a fake punt right off the bat, it's obvious that Saban was keenly aware of what this game would've looked like had we gotten off to a good start offensively. This game has to still eat at Mack. I said 20 points earlier, but it was false humility. There's no way that Bama gets within 4 TDs had we started this game up 14. Their passing game simply wasn't ever going to be successful against us.  

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Devil's Advocate would say that one consequence of Colt'ed (or Sherrod'ed) victory over 'Bama would have been that Mack would've honored his "intention" to turn over the keys to Boom, who in turn would've hired Holgo, and that 2010 disaster would've never happened. Take it from there...

This is the first time I've ever heard of Holgerson being in the picture. I always assumed Major would've gotten the job. 

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is the first time I've ever heard of Holgerson being in the picture. I always assumed Major would've gotten the job. 

Story is, Boom talked big dogs into pressuring Mack to fire GDGD. Mack caved. Boom wanted - in his position as HCIW - to hire Holgo away from Gundy. Mack refused because Holgo wasn't a Family Guy, being divorced, hard drinkin', hotel-dweller, big dogs backed Mack. Mack tried to hire Chryst away from Wiscy, Chryst came for an interview, said he needed to discuss with his family and never called back; Mack finally called Chryst and demanded an answer, which was "No thanks". Asked by reporters how come he turned down Texas, Chryst said "A fish rots from the head down." Mack hired Harsin, which imo was a good move, but having promised full authority over the Offense, Mack fitted Harsin with a little saddle and made him carry Major around.

This is as good a place as any to say Fuck Mack Brown, so... Fuck Mack Brown.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Story doesn’t compute.  Muschamp left the same year GDGD was fired.

That's not all the story, though. 

Boom was HCIW. Mack supposedly told him he planned to step aside after the MNC. But Colt went down, with no backup in sight, and Mack didn't get to hoist the Xtal Ball. He decided to stay and ride Gilbert to the next trophy. Boom was irate, but Mack just smiled and said he hadn't lied, he really was planning to hand over they keys... but his plans had changed. Boom probably would've left then, had there been any decent HC jobs available, but it was already January and no HC to be had, and he stayed. The 2010 offense was such a cluster fuck that Boom even went after GDGD in the locker room one halftime. Allegedly. Lobbying the big dogs to get rid of GDGD did not fall on deaf ears, but turned out not to include getting his own OC or expansion of his HCIW status. When things turned that way, he bailed.

Boom has not been very successful at UF and USCe, but (seemingly) more so than end-of-cycle GDGDless Mack, and for damned sure more so than Charlie.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, RoyalBevo21 said:

01 Big12 Championship

2004 Vince and Cedric shutout by a team that USC dropped 55 on.....

2006 Kansas St game (Colt shoulder part 1) this loss basically gets OU into the title game

2007 Kansas St game Wizard destroys Mack and Greg's gaping pussy

2008 Texas Tech game even Blake Gideon's old faith paddy ass should make that play every single time.

2009 Bama NC 

I attended 1977 Cotton Bowl game.  Still sucks after all these years.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, RoyalBevo21 said:

1983 Cotton and 2001 Colorado and 2008 Tech were demoralizing blown opportunities. The rest of those were just losses. You could assemble a similar list of kicks to the balls for every program at our level who is not Ohio State or Alabama.

Edited by Valmy77

On 12/5/2018 at 8:16 AM, Tom said:

Yeah Georgia are ones to talk about not doing shit. They are kings of not doing shit. Their current run of losing to Alabama is the best they have done since the early 1980s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

I attended 1977 Cotton Bowl game.  Still sucks after all these years.

What happened? I've tried to find info on this game (I haven't looked all that hard) but Texas coming into the game rolling through their schedule with ease. Then ND blows our doors off. Just so hard to accept that and see that coming with Earl Campbell in the backfield. 

1983 Cotton and 2001 Colorado and 2008 Tech were demoralizing blown opportunities. The rest of those were just losses. You could assemble a similar list of kicks to the balls for every program at our level who is not Ohio State or Alabama.

Oh I can make a list of numerous kicks to the balls of Alabama.

All of which involved this fellow.

bac3781b08205a9e1cb2a3073071e95a.jpg

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah Georgia are ones to talk about not doing shit. They are kings of not doing shit. Their current run of losing to Alabama is the best they have done since the early 1980s.

Those shitberries are going on and on about Texas not being part of the South as if that is an insult. Texas is a region and culture unto itself. We do not belong to any region, we are a fucking region with more money, piss and swagger than any cluster of states combined.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2018 at 11:59 AM, UDontKnow said:

Hopefully our offense will not be offensive.

UGAs defense has a flaw called "3rd and Kirby. His defensive playcalling is very prone to giving up big gains on third and long. It goes back to his DC days at Bama, used to drive the Bama fans crazy. Your offense should feast on some of these.

6 hours ago, F250 said:

Those shitberries are going on and on about Texas not being part of the South as if that is an insult. Texas is a region and culture unto itself. We do not belong to any region, we are a fucking region with more money, piss and swagger than any cluster of states combined.

I've been trying to stress this for years.  Texas is NOT a part of the Deep South culture.  We're our own thing; the Deep South sucks donkey dick. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

What happened? I've tried to find info on this game (I haven't looked all that hard) but Texas coming into the game rolling through their schedule with ease. Then ND blows our doors off. Just so hard to accept that and see that coming with Earl Campbell in the backfield. 

As I recall ND just man handled Earl from running the ball.  Just getting to the game that day was real bitch because an ice storm hit during the early morning hours and parts of I 35 near Georgetown were iced over.  Did a turnaround and caught a ride on the UT Alumni bus to make the game.  Texas scored a TD just before halftime to give a little hope things might be better in the second half but not to be.  If Texas had won that game they would have been NC.  You could hear a pin drop on the bus ride back to Austin.   Sucked big time.

10 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I've been trying to stress this for years.  Texas is NOT a part of the Deep South culture.  We're our own thing; the Deep South sucks donkey dick. 

College Station should be part of the Deep South. I would gladly let them take it off our hands.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:49 AM, bornbama1 said:

UGAs defense has a flaw called "3rd and Kirby. His defensive playcalling is very prone to giving up big gains on third and long. It goes back to his DC days at Bama, used to drive the Bama fans crazy. Your offense should feast on some of these.

Hmmm.....

Opponent 3rd Down Conversion Rate Conference Opponents Only:

UGA is 25th in the nation at 34.5%

Texas is 119th in the nation at 48.0%

Can we rename it "Third and Orlando"?

Source: http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/defense/split07/category25/sort01.html

Edited by So_co
Added source
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, So_co said:

Hmmm.....

Opponent 3rd Down Conversion Rate Conference Opponents Only:

UGA is 25th in the nation at 34.5%

Texas is 119th in the nation at 48.0%

Can we rename it "Third and Orlando"?

Source: http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/defense/split07/category25/sort01.html

Did UGA have to play the best offense in CFB twice and top 10 passing offenses every couple of weeks?

On 12/8/2018 at 12:05 AM, F250 said:

On 12/8/2018 at 7:01 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Same here. It really rubs me the wrong way when I hear Texas being included as part of 'The South'. Fuck that shit. I was born in the south and spent the first 12 years of my life there. Texas is not the south. Well, maybe far east Texas & College Station, but not the good parts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Did UGA have to play the best offense in CFB twice and top 10 passing offenses every couple of weeks?

119 is bad even compared to other Big 12 defenses.  Will be interesting to see how it translates in the bowl game. 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:05 AM, F250 said:

There is the south, there is Texas and then there is the southwest, its not that complicated. Georgia is a shithole state, Augusta and Savannah are the only places worth visiting. 

Cotton and peanut fields as far as the eye can see with poor white and back trash scattered throughout, the occasional cute southerbell which is becoming harder to find since everyone here lives off fried food is the only redeeming factor

Texas played MUCH better offenses than UGa.  In 3rd down conversion, we saw #5 twice.  3 other conference opp were in the top 25.  And the worst 3rd down team in the Big XII was #87 TCU.

The SEC has 4 teams ranked #100 or worse on 3rd down.  Georgia saw #2 Alabama once and only one other team in the top 25.  So you gotta give UGa credit for having a bunch of dog crap offenses on the conference schedule.  In fact the third best offense they faced was about the AVERAGE that Texas faced every week.

As if their conference wasn't bad enough on offense already, Georgia also went out and scheduled 3 total cupcakes for non-conf play.  UMass, MTSU and Austin Peay really helped to pad the stats for Georgia.  Look at them against P5 top 100 offenses and they're a 30% team on 3rd down conversions.  Texas hardly moves since Tulsa would be the only opponent who doesn't make the cut.

• Like 2

Texas played MUCH better offenses than UGa.  In 3rd down conversion, we saw #5 twice.  3 other conference opp were in the top 25.  And the worst 3rd down team in the Big XII was #87 TCU.

The SEC has 4 teams ranked #100 or worse on 3rd down.  Georgia saw #2 Alabama once and only one other team in the top 25.  So you gotta give UGa credit for having a bunch of dog crap offenses on the conference schedule.  In fact the third best offense they faced was about the AVERAGE that Texas faced every week.

As if their conference wasn't bad enough on offense already, Georgia also went out and scheduled 3 total cupcakes for non-conf play.  UMass, MTSU and Austin Peay really helped to pad the stats for Georgia.  Look at them against P5 top 100 offenses and they're a 30% team on 3rd down conversions.  Texas hardly moves since Tulsa would be the only opponent who doesn't make the cut.

• Like 3