Texas transfer portal talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

Speaking of transfers check out the film of our former linebacker Caleb Johnson at UCLA. Why the Texas staff didn’t see his talent and instead kept trying to deal with Juwan Mitchell is mind blowing. I know kids transfer for their own reasons but it’s been said that he was buried from the get go and not really given a chance.

Edited by Dondrysdale1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Speaking of transfers check out the film of our former linebacker Caleb Johnson at UCLA. Why the Texas staff didn’t see his talent and instead kept trying to deal with Juwan Mitchell is mind blowing. I know kids transfer for their own reasons but it’s been said that he was buried from the get go and not really given a chance.

2019 seems like a decade ago... 😋

6 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Losing Xavian really sucks. I think he would have seen significant playing time this year. 

Pretty wide open back there. 

Jerrin Thompson looked good. BJ Foster is still here. Adimora will probably stick at nickel. Cook might move over to S.

Hopefully Coffey gets time to develop, and Jamier Johnson sticks at CB.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Pretty wide open back there. 

Jerrin Thompson looked good. BJ Foster is still here. Adimora will probably stick at nickel. Cook might move over to S.

Hopefully Coffey gets time to develop, and Jamier Johnson sticks at CB.

Still wonder if another DB might be added for 2021 via the portal...

1. How will Crawford  fit ??
  2. Any word on where Tyler Owens is expected to play ?? 

(always seemed like a possible LB to me)

Good defensive list from @RollLeft  prior to Bimage leaving...

image.png

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Still wonder if another DB might be added for 2021 via the portal...

1. How will Crawford  fit ??
  2. Any word on where Tyler Owens is expected to play ?? 

(always seemed like a possible LB to me)

Good defensive list from @RollLeft  prior to Bimage leaving...

image.png

We've apparently kicked the tires on the 5-star CB from Clemson, but he's supposed to have some demons that make me doubt UT would take him.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I am of the opinion that coaches aren’t transferring “all the time”

Right? Who was the last head coach that changed schools within conference? 

That doesn't happen *that* often.  

This is probably a dumb question, but the NCAA governs rules for players transferring between two schools in different conferences, but individual conferences are allowed to set their own eligibility requirements for any intra-conference transfers? 

I seem to remember some conferences trying to impose longer periods you had to sit (2 years) to discourage transferring in-conference but I didn't realize conferences could actually have more player friendly rules than the NCAA. 

Yeah, NCAA makes rules on transfers from school to school, but the conferences like B12 and SEC add intraconference rules that are sometimes stricter than the NCAA rules...

In this instance, if the player IS NOT a grad transfer, I'm pretty sure both the B12 and SEC make an intraconference transfer player sit out a year...

That's the rule Lincoln is referring to in this tweet...

NCAA is expected to allow immediate eligibility on first-time transfers going forward, but the conferences can still have stricter rules for intraconference transfers if they like...

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Riley is one of the biggest rule breakers on contacting kids before they announce, so of course he wants to eliminate the intraconference rule. He has more relationships with kids in the Big 12.

I think he’s saying he wants the rule to stay in place as is, not abolish it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

I definitely read that wrong, but from what I have heard that would be a surprise. He loves transfers and the process regardless of what he says.

It’s pretty clear why he wants the SEC and Big 12 to keep this rule. He knows that there’s a short list of attractive options for SEC transfers and OU is on it. He also knows a huge chunk of his roster is from Texas and there are 4 P5 Texas schools in his conference, so he’s limiting his own guys’ transfers options in their home state and making it easier to keep them from transferring.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 5 weeks later...

Somehow missed this.... Willie Tyler ends up at Syracuse

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/syracuse-football-adds-texas-transfer-willie-tyler-to-boost-depth-at-offensive-line/ar-BB1frEvM?ocid=uxbndlbing

"Syracuse football adds Texas transfer Willie Tyler to boost depth at offensive line"

Mike Curtis, syracuse.com  4/8/2021

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, LTtxfan said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COIqv-NFJbz/

EPPS has entered the portal

giphy.gif

My short list of players likely to transfer out:

WR Montrell Estell

WR Kennedy Lewis - Already not participating with the team

WR Al'Vonte Woodard

WR Marcus Washington 

RB Daniel Young

Any others?

Kai's scholarship likely comes off the board this  fall, right?

4 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So once in the portal, there is no coming back right according to Sark?

I wonder how many of those guys are looking for a landing spot first because if they get no takers they are in limbo with no athletic scholarship 

Yeah, in SARK's first year I hope he doesn't allow any UT player who enters the portal to return to TEXAS...

• Hook 'Em 2

Count me in for not letting people come back. No ill will, but once you've decided to leave the program, you should leave. If you are IN, be in all the way. If you are OUT, then be out all the way. We need players willing to buy in and put in the work and compete. If a player cannot commit to that and see it through, there is no use in trying to spend time developing them anymore. 

As for Epps, what could have been, I guess. He has a skill set, but he does not want to be hit at all. I have a couple of friends that are similar, in that they are large people, but avoid contact and don't understand their size/weight advantages. Good luck and thanks for clearing up a spot.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, in SARK's first year I hope he doesn't allow any UT player who enters the portal to return to TEXAS...

Players entered the portal under Herman because they hated him and couldn't stand being in the program any longer. Players entering the portal with Sark in charge will be doing so because opportunities have disappeared. 

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Amik was a fourth-round draft pick and is still on the Raiders roster now. Kid can play.

Correct, however, the location of the pass indicates that Epps did not take the route or position he should have, which was inside. Assuming that the pass was accurate in this case, he should have taken the small amount of space given to him to cut inside after initial contact and catch the ball for a first down. Instead, he breaks outside after initial contact and continued to slap hands for some reason. Luckily, the talented CB didn't make the interception, but Epps failed to complete the relatively easy pass and catch for a first down. Given his size and reach, Epps should have taken his right leg and stepped inside and across the body of the defender putting his body and hands away from the CB allowing room to make the catch. Instead he pushes up field, without the need to do so, and initiates contact again which gives the CB the opportunity to use the sideline for protection and adjust his eyes quickly to the QB. 

Any number of issues can be extrapolated from this short gif, but considering that our receivers had a hard time creating separation last season... and for a while now, I'm more inclined to think it's a player issue and/or situational awareness failure. Some players have talent and athleticism, but don't understand the game or why they need to do small things to make sure the play succeeds. Maybe that is Epps' issue?

I'm sure you weren't asking for this breakdown, just wanted to share my opinion on this particular route. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Droopy said:

Correct, however, the location of the pass indicates that Epps did not take the route or position he should have, which was inside. Assuming that the pass was accurate in this case, he should have taken the small amount of space given to him to cut inside after initial contact and catch the ball for a first down. Instead, he breaks outside after initial contact and continued to slap hands for some reason. Luckily, the talented CB didn't make the interception, but Epps failed to complete the relatively easy pass and catch for a first down. Given his size and reach, Epps should have taken his right leg and stepped inside and across the body of the defender putting his body and hands away from the CB allowing room to make the catch. Instead he pushes up field, without the need to do so, and initiates contact again which gives the CB the opportunity to use the sideline for protection and adjust his eyes quickly to the QB. 

Any number of issues can be extrapolated from this short gif, but considering that our receivers had a hard time creating separation last season... and for a while now, I'm more inclined to think it's a player issue and/or situational awareness failure. Some players have talent and athleticism, but don't understand the game or why they need to do small things to make sure the play succeeds. Maybe that is Epps' issue?

I'm sure you weren't asking for this breakdown, just wanted to share my opinion on this particular route. 

Oh jeez yeah, not invalidating that Epps suuuuucks at football

• Hook 'Em 2

Source: Texas WR Kennedy Lewis no longer with team

by Jeff Howe     11 hours ago

Texas wide receiver Kennedy Lewis is no longer with the team, a source confirmed to Horns247 on Tuesday. Lewis didn’t participate and wasn’t listed on the roster for Saturday’s spring game, which was the 15th and final practice for the Longhorns under head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Another source told Horns247 that as of Tuesday afternoon, Lewis had yet to appear in the NCAA transfer portal. Lewis returned to the program last summer after serving a suspension from team activities for the spring semester in 2020 but he opted out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns, a source told Horns247.

Horns247’s  FUCK CHIP BROWN reported on March 5, 2020 that Lewis was suspended “not only from the football team but from school.”

“Lewis is back home in the Dallas area (Melissa, Texas) taking junior college courses, one source said,” Brown wrote. “But Lewis is expected back at Texas for summer school, the source said.”

The 6-foot-3-inch, 200-pound Lewis played in two games as a true freshman, preserving a season of eligibility by not exceeding four games played. Lewis had a 37-yard reception in the team’s 48-13 win over Rice at NRG Stadium on Sept. 14, 2019, for his first and only career catch as a Longhorn.

Lewis had worked at Z receiver in 2019 behind Brennan Eagles. With personal-best clockings of 10.53 in the 100 meters and 21.98 in the 200 meters in high school, Lewis was expected to bring game-breaking speed to the wide receiver group, but that never came to fruition as his time in the Texas program has come to an end.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Kennedy-Lewis-Texas-Longhorns-football-WR-no-longer-with-team-164741564/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I remember a lot of people thinking Lewis was a sneaky take and showing him on the treadmill running gave a lot of folks unnecessary boners. This is why we can't trust shit. 

I mean, he was (is?) really athletic - the potential was there. He just turned out to have the work ethic of a stoned parsnip.

• Haha 1