Texas transfer portal talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

Some people are going to be surprised to find that Ehlinger was a greater hindrance to our success than they've come to believe.  

Average arm strength, terrible deep ball, spotty accuracy, not-so-great decision making.  

I'll always be glad Ehlinger was a Longhorn, but the best thing you can say about him as a quarterback is that he's tough.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Some people are going to be surprised to find that Ehlinger was a greater hindrance to our success than they've come to believe.  

Average arm strength, terrible deep ball, spotty accuracy, not-so-great decision making.  

I'll always be glad Ehlinger was a Longhorn, but the best thing you can say about him as a quarterback is that he's tough.

tenor.gif?itemid=13829919

• Hook 'Em 3

UTAH ???          WTF ???

BREAKING: Texas transfer Ja'Quinden Jackson commits to Utah

by Steve Bartle

8 hours ago

The University of Utah football program has received a big commitment from Texas Longhorns transfer and former four-star quarterback recruit, Ja'Quinden Jackson. A former four-star dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 class, Jackson will join the program as a quarterback with great athletic potential. Jackson just recently entered the transfer portal on December 15th and quickly decided on his new home at Utah.  

Kyle Whittingham's football program was rather busy this week as they officially welcomed each of the 18 members of their 2021 signing class. But behind the scenes, the staff remained hard at work and came away with Jackson's pledge secured. The staff has now landed one of the highest rated transfer prospects to enter the portal this cycle.

The two parties were already familiar with one another, as Jackson was an early focus for Utah during the 2020 cycle. He committed to Texas, which more or less ended Utah's recruitment of him. But while he was committed to the Longhorns, he was also able form a close relationship with the Utes breakout star and then-Texas commit, Ty Jordan. 

All of these pre-existing relationships were crucial in Jackson's quick decision to commit to the Utes. His addition is incredibly significant, for the simple fact alone that he's a tremendous talent and will address a major position of need moving forward. The added potential to build greater inroads within the state of Texas, more specifically the Dallas area, could be very beneficial for Utah as well.

As a prospect in the 2020 class, Jackson was rated a 97 by 247Sports, which garnered the No. 3 dual-threat ranking and the No. 46 player overall. According to the industry generated Composite Rating, Jackson held a rating of .9664 and was considered the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 73 overall player. Assuming his original Composite Rating of .9664 holds, Jackson would become the highest-rated commitment in Utah's 2021 class. Jackson's pledge gives Utah two quarterback commitments for the cycle. 

Jackson is a 6-foot-2, 232 pound athlete, who owns a 4.61 second 40-yard dash that he ran prior to his senior season in high school. He will join Utah as a true dual-threat quarterback but has the potential to fill other positions, potentially on the defensive side of the ball. Jackson played in a run-heavy offense at the high school level and needs to improve as a passer, but the potential is there. At the very least, Jackson will provide an added threat in the run game for Utah. 

Jackson made his way to Texas in the summer as a member of the 2020 signing class, though he did not see playing time during his true freshman season in 2020. The dual-threat QB signed with the Longhorns last December after an impressive high school career where he helped lead Duncanville to back-to-back state championship game appearances. Jackson was a dominant force for the Duncanville offense throughout his three seasons as the starting QB, and racked up 3,611 passing yards and 40 touchdowns in addition to 3,293 rushing yards and 51 rushing scores during his high school career. 

(Dumbass $9.95er --  JQJ didn't play this season because he was rehabbing his knee injury most of the year!!!) 

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

by Steve Bartle

8 hours ago

The University of Utah football program has received a big commitment from Texas Longhorns transfer and former four-star quarterback recruit, Ja'Quinden Jackson. A former four-star dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 class, Jackson will join the program as a quarterback with great athletic potential. Jackson just recently entered the transfer portal on December 15th and quickly decided on his new home at Utah.  

Kyle Whittingham's football program was rather busy this week as they officially welcomed each of the 18 members of their 2021 signing class. But behind the scenes, the staff remained hard at work and came away with Jackson's pledge secured. The staff has now landed one of the highest rated transfer prospects to enter the portal this cycle.

The two parties were already familiar with one another, as Jackson was an early focus for Utah during the 2020 cycle. He committed to Texas, which more or less ended Utah's recruitment of him. But while he was committed to the Longhorns, he was also able form a close relationship with the Utes breakout star and then-Texas commit, Ty Jordan. 

All of these pre-existing relationships were crucial in Jackson's quick decision to commit to the Utes. His addition is incredibly significant, for the simple fact alone that he's a tremendous talent and will address a major position of need moving forward. The added potential to build greater inroads within the state of Texas, more specifically the Dallas area, could be very beneficial for Utah as well.

As a prospect in the 2020 class, Jackson was rated a 97 by 247Sports, which garnered the No. 3 dual-threat ranking and the No. 46 player overall. According to the industry generated Composite Rating, Jackson held a rating of .9664 and was considered the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 73 overall player. Assuming his original Composite Rating of .9664 holds, Jackson would become the highest-rated commitment in Utah's 2021 class. Jackson's pledge gives Utah two quarterback commitments for the cycle. 

Jackson is a 6-foot-2, 232 pound athlete, who owns a 4.61 second 40-yard dash that he ran prior to his senior season in high school. He will join Utah as a true dual-threat quarterback but has the potential to fill other positions, potentially on the defensive side of the ball. Jackson played in a run-heavy offense at the high school level and needs to improve as a passer, but the potential is there. At the very least, Jackson will provide an added threat in the run game for Utah. 

Jackson made his way to Texas in the summer as a member of the 2020 signing class, though he did not see playing time during his true freshman season in 2020. The dual-threat QB signed with the Longhorns last December after an impressive high school career where he helped lead Duncanville to back-to-back state championship game appearances. Jackson was a dominant force for the Duncanville offense throughout his three seasons as the starting QB, and racked up 3,611 passing yards and 40 touchdowns in addition to 3,293 rushing yards and 51 rushing scores during his high school career. 

(Dumbass $9.95er --  JQJ didn't play this season because he was rehabbing his knee injury most of the year!!!) 

Interesting. 

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

by Steve Bartle

8 hours ago

He wouldn't have played anyway.  Especially if he did something good for 1 play or so.  Turtle would've seen he got rotated from existence.

• Haha 1

Are you an idiot in life too?

This serves no purpose other than to show you're a shitty human.

I just watched the great Justin Fields have a shittier performance than Sam ever did against the ultra talented Northwestern Bearcats of San Luis Obispo yesterday. And he had a 300 yard rusher. Fields racks up numbers when he's allowed to play glorified 7 on 7. And he'll be drafted in the top 10.

Justin Book led his Notre Dame team to 10 points including a garbage TD.

Its quarterbacking. Toughest position in sports. In sheer numbers he has to deal with the largest number of dumbass fans in the world. But there are a lot of great ones too.

People kiss Trasks butt but he's made as many poor decisions in those few games I have watched than Sam made all year. But he has a Kyle Pitts. Oh yeah and he fumbled freshman Sam style yesterday (bailed out by dumb Bama penalty).

That Ossai guy, people are going to be surprised how much better our dline or LB play are once he's gone. I mean there are games in which he had no sacks and didn't create any turnovers. In 3 years there were only a few games he really dominated.

He's fallible and far from perfect. He's represented the university well on and off the field. He's a senior. He hasn't opted out. He'll represent the university till the day he dies. He is tough. He's played his tail off.

So all you assholes that think it's time to talk trash about him maybe it's time for you to be men and be thankful for his efforts and shut out the damn negativity.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I just watched the great Justin Fields have a shittier performance than Sam ever did against the ultra talented Northwestern Bearcats of San Luis Obispo yesterday. And he had a 300 yard rusher. Fields racks up numbers when he's allowed to play glorified 7 on 7. And he'll be drafted in the top 10.

Its quarterbacking. Toughest position in sports. In sheer numbers he has to deal with the largest number of dumbass fans in the world. But there are a lot of great ones too.

People kiss Trasks butt but he's made as many poor decisions in those few games I have watched than Sam made all year. But he has a Kyle Pitts. Oh yeah and he fumbled freshman Sam style yesterday (bailed out by dumb Bama penalty).

That Ossai guy, people are going to be surprised how much better our dline or LB play are once he's gone. I mean there are games in which he had no sacks and didn't create any turnovers. In 3 years there were only a few games he really dominated.

He's fallible and far from perfect. He's represented the university well on and off the field. He's a senior. He hasn't opted out. He'll represent the university till the day he dies. He is tough. He's played his tail off.

So all you assholes that think it's time to talk trash about him maybe it's time for you to be men and be thankful for his efforts and shut out the damn negativity.

Username checks out

Justin Book?
giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Ian. Honest mistake. I mean how many QBs are named Ian. Personally I'd never recruit one with such a name.

Be thankful I didn't refer to Fields as Josh.

I knew a sales manager  once who only recruited guys with hot wives or gf’s. Seems like there was a football coach who did that too. Like you , neither was very bright. 

Edited by jdhorn92

I knew a sales manager  once who only recruited guys with hot wives or gf’s. Seems like there was a football coach who did that too. Like you , neither was very bright. 
Hmmm....interesting that you make it personal. Based on this post. Maybe I've offended you elsewhere.

The Ian part was a joke. Except historically there are few QBs with that name. But that has nothing to do with me. And perhaps your personal jab was a bit sarcastic. Damn words without tone and the non verbal can be difficult to decipher.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

First of all, Sam is no Justin Fields. There’s a reason why Fields will be drafted in the top ten and Ehlinger won’t come close.

Second, here’s what you said in defense of Sam: “He’s a senior. He hasn’t opted out. He’ll represent the university til the day he dies. HE IS TOUGH. He plays his heart out.” All of those things are true, and none of them have anything to do with the skill of being a quarterback. Thanks for proving my point.

Third, kiss my ass and sit in your wrongness and be wrong.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
because I need to make an edit
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Hmmm....interesting that you make it personal. Based on this post. Maybe I've offended you elsewhere.

The Ian part was a joke. Except historically there are few QBs with that name. But that has nothing to do with me. And perhaps your personal jab was a bit sarcastic. Damn words without tone and the non verbal can be difficult to decipher.

So you just called me an idiot and then chastise this guy for making it personal.

Take the loss, pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think portal lights up if they bring Herman back officially for next year. I think anyone who has a shot at playing at a team with a chance of success bails.

UT couldn't beat OU with a Freshman QB, no chance of beating them next year when Texas is the one starting a player that's barely ever (if ever) even attempted a pass. You throw in Herman who seemingly takes QB coaching advice from Jeff Fisher and next season is a lost cause as well.

(This assumes CDC brings him back - which IMO if Herman is allowed to coach the bowl game is happening)

So you just called me an idiot and then chastise this guy for making it personal.
Take the loss, pussy.
Sorry you didn't catch the allusion in my follow up. Had that poster responded to that part of the post to you then it's a different response. Not the joke of stating I wouldn't recruit a QB named Ian.

I'd expect you to come back at me as you did. You were being an ass just as I was an ass in return.

Could hundreds of college football players be left stranded by NCAA apathy?

Pete Thamel     December 16, 2020, 7:43 pm

The NCAA is a perpetually and consistently reactionary organization. As reliably as its infractions cases move at a glacial speed and its press conference moderators use the term “student-athletes,” the NCAA acts on major items only by circumstantial gunpoint.  

As hats were picked, silly videos released and classes filled on the start of the national signing period on Wednesday, coaches expressed concern about the NCAA’s next inevitable oversight and delayed reaction.  An unprecedented confluence of events — the bloated NCAA transfer portal, a blanket extra year granted because of COVID-19 and the expected one-time transfer rule — threatens scholarship opportunities for football players and will eventually undermine the ability for coaches to keep full rosters.  “We’re going to see a situation this year where there could be up to 1,000 players in the portal with nowhere to go,” said South Florida coach Jeff Scott.

How will that happen? As of Wednesday morning, there were more than 750 FBS football players in the NCAA transfer portal. That number is increasing by dozens each day, and will only get bigger with the end of the semester. The players are looking to take advantage of the NCAA’s one-time transfer rule, which is expected to be passed early next year.

But that giant number comes with a jarring reality that has some coaches startled. The NCAA’s ruling this summer to give all fall athletes staying at their school an extra year of eligibility is going to expand rosters past the 85-man roster limit for next season. That will limit places transfers can go. (As of now, there’s a one-year waiver to go beyond 85 in 2021.)

The seniors returning for an extra year are going to limit opportunities for younger players within the program, which will mean even more transferring. Also, the one-time transfer rule is expected to lead to a flurry of Group of Five transfers looking to upgrade to bigger schools.

All of this action flowing into the NCAA transfer portal, however, is constrained by some rules that have coaches and administrators projecting a limit on opportunity.  There are three limits that coaches need to worry about. The first is 85 scholarships, which is easy.  The rest requires an accounting degree and reads like something from a scientific journal, as football is the only sport that limits the numbers of players who can be signed each year. There’s a limit of 25 “initial counters” in a recruiting cycle, which is a complicated metric that can be manipulated by back-counting, blueshirting and other methods.

What’s in the crosshairs here is different. It’s the 25-player annual signing limit more commonly referred to as “hard cap.” The hard cap is a limit of 25 players from Aug. 1 through July 31, whereas the “initial counter” limit is per recruiting class.  The influx of available/transferring players and no extra scholarship slots because of the “hard cap” creates a predictable logjam that has some worried the NCAA has no answers for.  

A compliance source backs up Scott’s projection and said there “easily” could be 1,000 players left without scholarships. That would be a nightmare for the NCAA, if logistics limited opportunity.  “I do think there are a lot of guys who’ll end up holding the bag without a place to go,” said Rivals.com Southeast recruiting analyst Woody Wommack. “You have the class of 2021 signing, the most transfers ever and a senior class that isn’t going anywhere. That’s made it really cloudy.”

The scary part of a player going into the portal is that they essentially give up their scholarship at their current school once they enter, which means players could end up dropping levels or not playing at all because of lack of opportunity. Not all players fully understand that risk. Scott points out that while coaches can monitor the portal for players, players lack a realtime dashboard of which schools have what amount of availability on their roster. There’s no available statistical indicator of how limited spots are, which leads to bad decisions.

What are the ripples of the roster logjam? One Group of Five head coach pointed out two potential reverberations. He said that the real roster issues are going to come in 2022, as the exemption to be over 85 scholarship players is expected to be gone, but a majority of the roster still has an extra year. That’s going to potentially limit the amount of high school players in the class of 2022.  “What 2022 looks like is crazy,” the Group of Five head coach said. “Now that you have to get under the 85 threshold, it’s a scramble. What can you bring in in 2022? That’s a problem.  “If your son is in high school and he has a 2022 scholarship offer, he should commit right now.”

So how will this number crunch play out? Some portend rule changes. The NCAA has always been fearful of the optics of running players off, which is one reason for the annual cap. While rosters are expanded for 2021, a Power Five athletic director predicted that the NCAA will use a gradual scale – 95, 88, etc. – to get them back to 85.  The schools most worried are those with rosters in disrepair from recent coaching changes. And there’s a drumbeat for change, as more than 100 compliance officers recently got on a conference call to discuss potential changes. But as with a lot of things in college sports, the changes are viewed through what’s best for each individual program and not the players.

Schools are biased by what’s in front of them, which is why moribund Kansas is pushing for change. Athletic director Jeff Long has advocated for a two-year rolling total of 50 counters instead of limiting one year at 25. (There could be a cap of 35 each year.) One proposal that went before the NCAA Football Oversight Committee (FOC) on Oct. 1 included eliminating the hard cap and initial counters. That gained no traction.

A proposal being discussed now by conferences and schools is a three-prong approach to more roster flexibility and, potentially, allow more opportunity. The proposal would eliminate the “hard cap” and keep the initial counters at 25 per year, with three exceptions – injury or illness ending a career (three maximum), a player graduates early and is no longer on the roster or a player declares for the draft. All of those departures would open up a corresponding slot.

The NCAA FOC has taken a wait-and-see approach. FOC chair Shane Lyons, the athletic director at West Virginia, noted that the schools with the biggest roster issues are pushing the hardest. And he said that more than 80% of coaches at the head coaches meeting at the American Football Coaches Association Convention last year did not want to eliminate the hard cap. (That was before much of this dynamic change.)

“We want to see the data and the data showing that the transfer portal has had a negative impact on signing and scholarships,” Lyons said. “We can all make assumptions, but are those accurate? The committee didn’t want to act at this time. We’re not sure it’s going to have a negative impact as some perceived.”

So we’ll wait. And hope that the sport doesn’t have hundreds of players the next few years jammed up in an untenable numbers crunch.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2