Fredericksburg

texashorne

Wife and i are doing a weekend getaway next month in Fredericksburg.

Her: You need to plan the trip and pick some restaurants.

Me: I have no idea where to even begin. 

Her: Why don't you ask Shaggy? 

So here I am. Except for the Shaggy part. Any suggestions for wineries/breweries/restaurants? I booked the Airbnb that is walking distance to the main street. 

Otto’s is the best restaurant in town and always packed

For wineries, I like Hilmy and Pedernales (Texas Ex owned/operated).

I guess you could go to Altstadt for a brewery experience, although their beers are pretty meh. 

Farther down the road, Hye Cider is less than 6 months old and pretty good, and Garrison Brothers (also Texas Ex owned/operated) puts out a quality product. Their Balmorrhea and Cowboy Bourbons are incredible

you'll have a great time.  a weekend isn't that long there.  you aren't asking for lodging suggestions so must have that in the bag already.  for restaurants, i like der lindenbaum for authentic german (otto's is new to me, so haven't been), the nest, august e's, navajo grill, hilltop.  the nest would be a nice, romantic dinner.

the winery tasting rooms are great.  becker was a nice experience.  it would take a week to hit them all.  if you're planning on spending any time walking/shopping main street, you'll be doing good to hit four, so choose wisely.

How many days. 2 or 3?  When are ya going. 

Do you or her currently have any favorite styles of wine? That would help a lot. 

Are you willing to drive outside the city or only do things within walking distance?

Food....

Otto's is great and indeed worth the visit. Though I make a point to never visit Fredericksburg on the weekends. Best of luck. 

If your BnB isn't bnB... (not all include breakfast anymore) I would recommend Old German Bakery & Restaurant for a traditional breakfast and german pastries or Twisted Sisters Bake shop if she needs a good cup of coffee instead of what comes out of a K cup or pitcher. 

Stop by Opa's and make sure to taste anything they have out, lots more options than you can usually get in the grocery store. We always bring some back. 

Altstadt brewery is close to town and just opened. Good beer, Good food. I did a flight there recently and enjoyed the majority of them especially the kolsch (available in bottles) and German Pils. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5844622eb3db2b1a4a9eecb7/t/5c1c18222b6a284f63d01c44/1545345069992/Altstadt+Biergarten+Menu.pdf

Now for Wine, as mentioned. Best thing is to know if you like any specific style or grape. If ya have no idea, then it's a great starter trip. 

Not knowing your preferences, I'll toss off some of my Favorites but none are in the city except Becker. 

Becker - the juice in the grocery stores is trash. the juice at the winery is wonderful. The Canada cab is one of my favorites right now. You can visit the winery just outside of town or the Main Street tasting Room. $20 for 6 tastings. 

https://www.beckervineyards.com/Visit/Make-a-Reservation

Messina Hof - (yes i know...Aggie) especially the Paulo wines. 

http://www.messinahof.com/hillcountry

Kuhlman (by Appt only) , they do 4 and 5 signature "bites" that pair with the wines for $20/27.50  Make sure and try the herbed almonds. They are crack and always around my place now.

http://www.kuhlmancellars.com/About-Us/The-Tasting-Exerience

William Chris vineyards (appt required) - One of my top favorites (we are in their wine club). I could talk about their wine for days. 

https://www.williamchriswines.com/

Calais Winery (look for the french flag flying just off 290 in Hye) - Benjamin is a friend of mine, who started his winery in Deep Ellum before tiring of the politics of dallas, and decided to move to Hye, Tx. He makes exceptional french style wines with texas grapes. If he is not around, Adrienne  likely will be, she used to work at Jester King brewery before changing over to the wine side..and has also started her own wine company called Lightsome. 

https://www.calaiswinery.com/

• Like 1

Alstadt brewery was nice.  They spent a fortune on it. 

For sure go grab a glass of wine at Lincoln Street wine bar.

Plenty of great dining options. 

After dinner - Crossroads will have live music. Probably a cover charge.   Hondo's will probably have free live music outside. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recs.. We will be there a Thursday through Sunday in Feb.. I like wine, love beer.. Totally cool doing the wine thing with the wife though.. Reservations needed for wine tastings or do we just show up? 

Highly recommend reservations. Especially for the weekend.
Don't take a chance, it takes a little time to make a call or send an email.
Thursday will be a little better unless thats Feb 14...

Luckenbach is right down the road from Becker and usually has some local picker in the afternoons if music interests ya.

I'll be back down for my next wine club pickups at the end of Feb or first weekend of March. Now that we have joined 2 wine clubs (Becker and William Chris) we will be making 4 or 5 trips down per year (that means more trips to jester king also) and have a few more on our list we haven't tried yet.

#HailState tapatalk about dis...

• Like 1

I forgot to mention a couple other places. 

Across the street from William Chris is Hye Market, great for a quick sandwich in between wines. 

Down the side street by Hye Market is Garrison Brothers Whiskey. I haven't been yet myself, but have heard good things.

Also on 290 in Hye is  Hye Rum, which is partly owned by Benjamin Calais also. 

If you are looking for a NICE dinner besides otto's you have two choices.. on complete ends of the area. 

Bryans on 290 in Johnson City. 

or Hilltop Cafe just outside Fredericksburg. 

• Like 1

Hilltop Cafe and Vaudeville are my favorites since the Nest closed

hike enchanted rock.  Hit the pacific war museum.  Walk around town shopping with a beer.  Sit in a Biergarten if weather is nice and day drink.  

The wineries have gotten better.  

Hondos is great for lunch or to hang out at night and drink by fire

lincoln street wine bar is nice.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recs.. We will be there a Thursday through Sunday in Feb.. I like wine, love beer.. Totally cool doing the wine thing with the wife though.. Reservations needed for wine tastings or do we just show up? 

There is a bus shuttle thingy you can do. Takes you to different wineries and brings you back to town

Been quite a while for me, but Rathskellar was always a breakfast destination for me. Corner of Lincoln & Main in the basement under the old hospital (currently Der Kuchen Laden store).  Love the Smoked Duck Hash. 

Lincoln Street always a cozy place to chill and set a relaxed, romantic vibe. 

Auslander for beers and socializing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hit the Nimitz Museum if you're into WW2.  

This here. Fantastic museum. 

csb alert: Back in the mid 80s when I was in the UTNROTC color guard, the USPS introduced the Admiral Nimitz stamp at the museum. Back then it was the Admiral Nimitz Museum and was housed in that funky old grey building. They invited us over to present the colors for the commemoration of the stamp. We show up to a good-sized crowd of 65-85 yo WWII-Vet Seamen all the way up to Admirals, many of whom served with and knew Admiral Nimitz, and they treat us like rock stars, telling us how great we are the entire time. And none of us had ever done shit. Meanwhile whenever asked about their exploits, they shrugged it all off like it was no big deal. Pretty fucking humbling. /csb?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I go every year in January for my anniversary.  Auslander's is one of my favorites for food/drinks.  Hit the Nimitz Museum if you're into WW2.  Hondo's is solid for burgers.  Enchanted Rock is a 20 minute drive.  Shit, just wander Main Street and you'll find shit you like.

This right here is all you need to know.  When the wife and I go, we just plan on the go once we get there.   Really  April is the best time to go when the Hill Country is greener than Ireland  if we have good rains in the winter and the temps are just right.    We do at least hit Hondo's once and they have some other solid offerings other than burgers and love the old building.   She is real big into wine, so I let her have her share  at the different tasting rooms on Main while I kind of take it easy.

I know you are not going during one of the warmer months.  If you want some good homemade ice cream for an  afternoon snack, Clear River Ice Cream has the best homemade stuff on the planet and the Mexican Vanilla is to die for.  They also have some great baked goods which go well with coffee in the morning.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

This here. Fantastic museum. 

csb alert: Back in the mid 80s when I was in the UTNROTC color guard, the USPS introduced the Admiral Nimitz stamp at the museum. Back then it was the Admiral Nimitz Museum and was housed in that funky old grey building. They invited us over to present the colors for the commemoration of the stamp. We show up to a good-sized crowd of 65-85 yo WWII-Vet Seamen all the way up to Admirals, many of whom served with and knew Admiral Nimitz, and they treat us like rock stars, telling us how great we are the entire time. And none of us had ever done shit. Meanwhile whenever asked about their exploits, they shrugged it all off like it was no big deal. Pretty fucking humbling. /csb?

That was my favorite site In Fredericksburg when I was kid in the mid 80's when my Mom  made Fredericksburg an annual summer side trip kind of thing.   That was still when the museum was fairly new and before the big renovations and expansion later in the late 90s or early 2000's.  Used to love to go down the side street where they had the old military hardware.  My interest in the  WWII era probably  was born out of going to that museum multiple times.  Plus Dad served in the Pacific and passed away before I got of age to where we could sit down and let him tell his stories first hand like many of the remaining Vets from the war are trying to do today before it's too late.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Despite outrageous price gauging on their products, Garrison Bros. was worth the trip. 

Auslander is the best biergarten in town. I thought the chow was pretty good. 

Despite being a bunch of Aggys, Messina Hof is excellent Texas wine in my opinion. The stuff that sell in Fredericksburg and Bryan is light years better than what they sell in stores. I'd get a case of the Sparkling Brut. It's really good. 

I'd stay at a place within walking distance of downtown. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

Under 109.35 a city must petition TABC to disallow public consumption in a central business district. TABC used to have the list of cities that had done so on its site, but I can't find it now.

My wife and I go multiple weekends a year. And have for the 10 years we’ve been married and the 3 we dated. I’ve always walked down the street with a beer during that time. Local cops have never said a word and I’ve seen a lot of others do it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

My wife and I go multiple weekends a year. And have for the 10 years we’ve been married and the 3 we dated. I’ve always walked down the street with a beer during that time. Local cops have never said a word and I’ve seen a lot of others do it.  

you can walk around georgetown too.  not that there's a lot to see, but the xmas lights they have are nice.  i do pour into a cup before leaving to walk around montrose with a beer or cocktail in hand, though.  

On 12/28/2018 at 4:38 PM, Focht Up said:

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Cranky Frank's BBQ.  It's pretty solid - I try to go there for lunch whenever we're in the area.  Just down the road is an interesting place called Das Peach Haus that's worth a visit.

I forgot about Das Peach Haus. I have read really good things, but their hours never worked in our schedule when we are down. 

Wife (no pics) & I bought a house on the outskirts of FB earlier this summer.  We try to get out there 1 weekend a month and are renting it out on Vacasa/AirBnB the rest of the time.  Agreed on the necessity of dinner reservations - outside of pizza at Socia Hauz (pretty good), Burger Burger or the Fredericksburg Brewery, just about everywhere else will have a long wait.  Vaudeville is a cool place to go and Hilltop Cafe has been mentioned.  Silver Creek is one of our favorites also.

Some of our favorite wineries that require reservations are Calais (went yesterday, very cool to have the winemaker pour your wine), Alexander and Kuhlman.  Places you can just drop in that are decent include Lost Draw, Hilmy and Pedernales.  

As others have mentioned, Alamo Springs Cafe, Enchanted Rock, Luckenbach and Ladybird Johnson golf course are fun excursions nearby.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:54 AM, texashorne said:

Her: Why don't you ask Shaggy? 

Breakfast/Coffee Options:

• Sunset Grill - awesome breakfast place, off Main St towards the Hospital. Sit on the patio if it is nice, but be aware it gets crazy busy
  • Airport Diner - out at the airport, and they close pretty early but it is a super cool spot to go and have a bite - breakfast or a sandwich-style lunch
  • Twisted Sisters Bake Shop - across the street from the Nimitz, "real" espresso (as opposed to the automatic machines at Java Ranch) and great baked items
  • Der Kuchen Laden - this is the kitchen store at the corner of Main & Lincoln, cheapest espresso in town and it is actually excellent. it's inside, in the back right corner of the building

Food Options

• Alamo Springs Cafe - about 25 min outside of town, but a great Hill Country spot if it isn't too cold
  • Jenny Smoked Burger and Tornado Fries - on Main St, great burgers in town
  • Otto's - already touched on, but it is the best place in town
  • Tubby's - have not been since they finished the remodel but they have good burgers and tacos. Next door to Otto's (same owner)
  • Clear River Pecan Company - if you have/are bringing kids this is a good spot. solid sandwiches and great ice cream!

Nights/Other:

• Hondos on Main - if you are here and it is decent weather this is a spot to go for sure. Sit outside, enjoy the music and grab a drink
  • 78624 the Bar - also usually have live music, lots of interesting spots to sit inside
  • Lincoln St Wine Bar - wish I had found this place sooner, really interesting place with lots of choices. Live music sometimes and can be not as crazy as many of the places on Main St despite being like 2 blocks off of it. 
  • Kuhlman Cellars is out towards Johnson City (about 20 min out) but is fantastic and their upstairs patio is very laid back
  • Pedernales Cellars is out in Stonewall (about 25 min out) but is laid back and shouldn't be as crazy as those towards FBG

If you are looking for BBQ, Backwoods BBQ has some solid Q. On Friday nights they do Steak Night (TMBBQ article) that is really solid. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2018 at 3:17 PM, Johnny Sack said:

it's allowed and encouraged by a ton of businesses on Main

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Jenny Smoked Burger and Tornado Fries - on Main St, great burgers in town

unless it moved it's easy to miss.  it's on a flag lot behind another building with the driveway being the only frontage on main.  burgers are good, fries are finominole. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

unless it moved it's easy to miss.  it's on a flag lot behind another building with the driveway being the only frontage on main.  burgers are good, fries are finominole. 

this is right, it's next to the Beckers tasting room on Main St and Fisher & Weaser. it's behind a gate but there is a sign on the side of a building pointing to it!

Jenny's Smoked Burgers: 319B E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624

• 5 months later...

Picked up my son from serving at Camp Eagle in Rocksprings and we stayed in Fredericksburg overnight on Father's Day. I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn this time with the kids because they have a pretty cool pool area. It has 2 waterslides, hot tub, large tanning ledge and a beach entry with a faux lazy river. Pretty big pool for a hotel pool and wasn't crowded. Kids really enjoyed it. 

Went out to eat that night to Alamo Springs Café, which i thought would be the best option to get away from the Father's Day crowd. We went about 7pm and it was a nice drive out to the hill country. At the turn for the road that the Café is on is the entrance to Alamo Springs State Park. We saw people standing around and we stopped to see what was happening. Just so happens that they have the largest Mexican bat population there in the abandoned train tunnel. We talked to the park ranger and he said that because of all the lush vegetation and rain the bats don't have to come out early to go find insects far away. So, they aren't coming out till well after dark but it was cool to see the scenary. Actually saw a whitetail eating right by the viewing platform. 

Back to the eats....Alamo Springs Café is a pretty cool place. A family coming out of the place said to the "Cover Burger" which is an off the menu item that was featured on the cover of Texas Monthly as the Best Burger in Texas. It was the cheeseburger with green chilies, all the veggies, sautéed onions, avocado on a jalapeno and cheese bun. I'm not sure about it being the best burger in Texas. It was good but the burger was cooked a little over medium and didn't have much flavor itself. To me a burger must standout on it's own and everything else on it compliments it. Now, the onion rings were really good. They had some kinds of kick to them that I think was cayenne pepper but the waiter wouldn't give up the goods on the batter. Kids all had their BLT which looked pretty good. Wife had their grilled chicken sandwich and the chicken was juicy like it had been brined but not marinated. We didn't get there till almost 8pm and found a spot in the main dining room easily. I can see how this place can get packed and seating taking awhile on a Friday or Saturday night. 

Next day we had a late lunch at the Rathskeller and it was very good. Ended up talking to the owner (female) for a long time after our meal. Very nice lady and puts her heart into the restaurant. They also own a wine bar around there, but didn't catch the name of it as we don't drink wine. 

Ended up going to the Candy Bar Store to let the kids get high on sugar. Now, if you are looking for something out of the ordinary to try, go here. They had chocolate dipped jalapenos and chocolate dipped pickles, which didn't sound too good but the guy was making a new batch of them because they had just ran out of them in their display case. Of course, they have all kinds of fudge, chocolate dipped items, jelly beans, M&M's bar by their color and blue bell ice cream.

Other than that, we went to the only place for Pick Your Own Peaches called Jenschke Orchard. Malburger is no longer in business. The peaches were awesome and we filled up about 10 lbs. worth (half of the cardboard box they give you) at $2.50/lb.  Then we headed to Burg's Corner for some homemade Ice Cream and white peaches. 

It was a quick time there but always a good time in Fredericksburg. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Next day we had a late lunch at the Rathskeller and it was very good. Ended up talking to the owner (female) for a long time after our meal. Very nice lady and puts her heart into the restaurant. They also own a wine bar around there, but didn't catch the name of it as we don't drink wine. 

what did you have there? the menu looks...ok...but i always end up going elsewhere to other places I like more.

• Like 1

what did you have there? the menu looks...ok...but i always end up going elsewhere to other places I like more.
They had a few specials that sounded good and I went with the fried pork with a mushroom gravy, taters and green beans. One of my daughters had the rosemary chicken and cheese ravioli in a cream sauce which was also very good.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:33 PM, NoName said:

They own Lincoln Street just one block south on...you guessed it...Lincoln!

Edited by After irth

On 6/23/2019 at 6:31 AM, After irth said:

They own Lincoln Street just one block south on...you guessed it...Lincoln!

Lincoln St is a legit great place that I almost always recommend to people in town. Laid back, cool wine bar that has a very limited food menu but a really cool vibe and a large outdoors area!

• Like 1