Minority rights rally cancelled for lack of minorities

Parliament

Things that flummox me more than protests against democracy: 1) protests against mythical bogeymen; 2) the weird Identity Politics quotas and requirements.

I realize I'm naive, but I wish if all the energy of faux outrage on both extremes could be put toward making the world better, we could actually make things better. All the money spent on anti-democracy protests could be spent feeding the poor, supporting organizations that provide services to illegal immigrants, supporting low-performing schools, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I bet actually putting in the effort to finding out what they may be protesting against or standing for would flummox you more than your knee jerk reaction, Kyle.

Sounds like some folks didn't like being the minority in a minority rights (read as women march) march.  Eye-rony  comes to mind.  It does kinda lose it's effectiveness if the target group isn't turning out.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Eureka CA is located about an hour to two drive from the Oregon border way way north of San Francisco. That area is almost all white people, and the people that aren't white are sure as shit not going to risk being singled out at work or by police for marching in protests. 

They’re probably scared of getting deported. 

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

That is kinda funny.  

So, is the population just overwhelmingly white? Or are minorities there just not sufficiently aggrieved to march about anything? 

it's eureka, california.  it's probably the whitest place in the country.

edit: i see this was covered.

Edited by elfenix

20 hours ago, bolverk said:

What the fuck kind of media does one consume where this becomes a notable national story to be posted by an Ohio State fan on a Texas board? 

Outlets that promote misleading narratives about minorities too lazy to assemble.  Who knows, this incident may be more apropos for the active measures thread.  It works because some bigoted tools want to believe it.

• Like 2

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/us/womens-march-anti-semitism.amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2018%2F12%2F23%2Fus%2Fwomens-march-anti-semitism.html

"The unity did not last long. Vanessa Wruble, a Brooklyn-based activist, said she told the group that her Jewish heritage inspired her to try to help repair the world. But she said the conversation took a turn when Tamika Mallory, a black gun control activist, and Carmen Perez, a Latina criminal justice reform activist, replied that Jews needed to confront their own role in racism.

The women who gathered that night would go on to organize one of the biggest protests in American history, remarkable not just for its size, but for its inclusive nature. The event on Jan. 21, 2017, inspired thousands of women who had never been involved in politics before to pour their energy into helping Democrats win elections this fall.

But the divisions apparent at that very first meeting continue to haunt the Women’s March organization, as charges of anti-Semitism are now roiling the movement and overshadowing plans for more marches next month."

On 12/29/2018 at 5:39 PM, tantric superman said:

I bet actually putting in the effort to finding out what they may be protesting against or standing for would flummox you more than your knee jerk reaction, Kyle.

Democracy. I thought that was pretty clear. Millennials pissed they did not get a trophy for voting. Old broads pissed they booked hotels and flights before the tally -> rally. We had to endure years of “Russian hacker” tinfoil to placate them.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, Kyle said:

Things that flummox me more than protests against democracy: 1) protests against mythical bogeymen; 2) the weird Identity Politics quotas and requirements.

I realize I'm naive, but I wish if all the energy of faux outrage on both extremes could be put toward making the world better, we could actually make things better. All the money spent on anti-democracy protests could be spent feeding the poor, supporting organizations that provide services to illegal immigrants, supporting low-performing schools, etc.

Are you too naive to realize that although the state is the only entity powerful enough to address the enormity of these issues, private donations are being used for all of these things?

54 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are you too naive to realize that although the state is the only entity powerful enough to address the enormity of these issues, private donations are being used for all of these things?

Was this what you meant to post? Edit timer run out?